• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

tensuke

Everything I can find about this PS2+ is just stuff about the PSX, even people calling it the PS2+ before release. I don't think there was anything called "PS2+".

Raist

Banned
i think it's the psx. it was a media device that played ps2 games (so, a ps2 with extra features):
Console_psx.jpg

Well I asked him and he said he's not talking about the PSX. Which was essentially a PS2 with a hard drive and some extra SW stuff anyway, nothing really significant.

ZOONAMI

Right. That would be ridiculous. Also said nothing about a cpu or gpu change.

Well, you quoting me and then referencing the n3ds suggested you thought that was a possibility. In any case, it looks like we're in agreement.

I see PSVR and PS 4K Blu-ray skus as very likely, and a boosted clock sku as fairly unlikely though.

Well, you quoting me and then referencing the n3ds suggested you thought that was a possibility. In any case, it looks like we're in agreement.

I see PSVR and PS 4K Blu-ray skus as very likely, and a boosted clock sku as fairly unlikely though.

Fair enough, cool.

AniHawk

Well I asked him and he said he's not talking about the PSX. Which was essentially a PS2 with a hard drive and some extra SW stuff anyway, nothing really significant.

i was wondering if there was some confusion over the playstation x which was abbreviated as psx, and the original playstation, which also was referred to as the psx.

tensuke

I'm late to this conversation, but has it been confirmed that PSVR will usher in a PS4 hardware revision or something?

No, it comes with a box you plug into the PS4 that does some image processing and interpolation, no actual game/graphics processing. No new ps4 hw needed.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Sounds like complicated stuff. I wonder how MS get's anything done over there, they must be completely paralyzed by indecision.

"Dare we release the numbers? No..too dangerous...The consequences have their own consequences...and those consequences have their own consequences...the consequences are spawning...I can't breath. Let's not do it. Too dangerous."
Do you actually not understand it or do you just want to mock me?
Because I can explain what I meant if it's the former.

Right. That would be ridiculous. Also said nothing about a cpu or gpu change.

Who cares what it's called? Okay so "slim"... It's the same concept. And lose the ps+, fine. It's ancillary.

So your argument is that there'll be a PS4 slim at some point? Well no shit.

i was wondering if there was some confusion over the playstation x which was abbreviated as psx, and the original playstation, which also was referred to as the psx.

No, at least one person is insisting that there was a PS2+ that wasn't the PSX.

No, but it has been confirmed that it will come with a separate box to improve performance specifically for PSVR titles.

No, it comes with a box you plug into the PS4 that does some image processing and interpolation, no actual game/graphics processing. No new ps4 hw needed.

Thanks. I guess that explains why they're pushing 120fps. Still though, will this box be enough to make up for the PS4's hardware deficits?

Imru’ al-Qays;188971586 said:
So your argument is that there'll be a PS4 slim at some point? Well no shit.

Right? I never claimed it was some revolutionary idea lol.

I guess the part about throwing into the new form factor the guts of the add on box needed for VR threw people off or something.

Right? I never claimed it was some revolutionary idea lol.

I guess the part about throwing into the new form factor the guts of the add on box needed for VR threw people off or something.

The added power is what throw me off because adding some more flops not going to make a big difference to how things look VR.

Toki767

Can we first wait and see how it actually looks?
So far I only many impressions that were positive. Were they all liars or just blind?
As someone who tried it at PSX, the games fall into the category of looking good enough. Most really just need anti-aliasing. I would compare the graphical quality to last gen games.

sense

I agree with cosmic. My prediction is
If you only have ps4 then you need ps vr and an additional box that gives the ps4 the additional power to run it which will be sold separately

If you have a ps4 plus or ps4 premium edition you only need ps vr as the additional power will be built in.

This helps in many ways because if there are people not interested in ps vr then they can buy the premium ps4 to run the current games at higher resolution and frame rate, 4K movie playback support etc... with price being 399 to 449. The budget version will be sold for 299 for people that do no care to play these games at max resolution or frame rate.

Times have changed. People are used to being "screwed" over every year or every other year aka iPhone 5 to iPhone 6, iPad Air to iPad Air 2. Games and apps will work on both but the new one will just run them better. I bought an iPad Air 2 on Black Friday knowing full well next year there will be a new and a little more powerful iPad Air 3.

Ever since the Sony guy hinted they are looking at a "premium" ps4 I feel it is going to happen next year. Their phone lineup is Xperia z5 budget, Xperia z5 and a z5 premium if I am not mistaken so I definitely see it happen with ps4 as well. I don't see why it would hurt them. Games will still play on your regular ps4 as well and they will continue to be sold.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The VR breakout box is not for additional power. It's completely and utterly ignoring every single interview on this topic where this is made clear several times over.

If you people yearn for a more high-end VR experience, then you need to buy the more high-end priced equipment.

As someone who tried it at PSX, the games fall into the category of looking good enough. Most really just need anti-aliasing. I would compare the graphical quality to last gen games.
Okay. I guess you have to sacrifice something in quality to gain the VR stuff.
VR itself will be new and exciting enough to make this deal worthy for many.

Conduit

Banned
Seriously? Zhuge even said it was 1.3 in October with digital and bundles, was confirmed to be 30% digital in October. I even said in my post to you it was probably at 1.7 without Digital or Bundles in November. It probably has a 15-20% digital in Nov. though doubt many system bundles were around.

I personally see that as close to 2 million. Guess we can agree to disagree there.

Seriously? 935k with 30% digital is....? How many, hm....? Game sold north of 350k in November and 20% digital....how many, hm? Bundles didn't do shit and you will get 1.7 mil. Simple math. 1.7 isn't close to 2 mil.

Bgamer90

Banned
Bad month for Microsoft. Sony selling more consoles, Halo 5 not even in the top 5 and Tomb Raider not charting

They sold more than 1.25 million consoles in one month. I agree that it wasn't 100% positive but the only home system that had a bad November all around was the Wii U.

Times have changed. People are used to being "screwed" over every year or every other year aka iPhone 5 to iPhone 6, iPad Air to iPad Air 2. Games and apps will work on both but the new one will just run them better. I bought an iPad Air 2 on Black Friday knowing full well next year there will be a new and a little more powerful iPad Air 3.

Again, you are talking about a different industry within the tech world. Game systems don't follow the same model that cell phones do and the majority of consumers are used to having their console be relevant for 5+ years.

Easier ports/connectivity in a new model is fine. The newer model running games notably better though would cause backlash especially with how easy it is for tech comparison articles and videos to spread (social media). People with the older model will feel screwed since they thought the system would follow the same model as previous consoles (with many people putting good money into the console via game purchases due to that).

small44

I agree with cosmic. My prediction is
If you only have ps4 then you need ps vr and an additional box that gives the ps4 the additional power to run it which will be sold separately

If you have a ps4 plus or ps4 premium edition you only need ps vr as the additional power will be built in.

This helps in many ways because if there are people not interested in ps vr then they can buy the premium ps4 to run the current games at higher resolution and frame rate, 4K movie playback support etc... with price being 399 to 449. The budget version will be sold for 299 for people that do no care to play these games at max resolution or frame rate.

Ever since the Sony guy hinted they are looking at a "premium" ps4 I feel it is going to happen next year. Their phone lineup is Xperia z5 budget, Xperia z5 and a z5 premium if I am not mistaken so I definitely see it happen with ps4 as well. I don't see why it would hurt them. Games will still play on your regular ps4 as well and they will continue to be sold.

A console with a model every year is called a PC

A VR that a cell phone does can't be really compared with the VR the Oculus Rift does using a strong PC.

PS4 is a weak machine for VR, no doubt about that. Not saying people will puking or anything, but isn't a good hardware.
I guess MS should just cancel Oculus Rift support on XBO then, 'cuz if PS4 can't do it XBO definitely can't do it :/

A PS4+ makes all the sense in the world.

• Ultra HD Blu Ray Support
  • Ready for VR - no add ons required
  • Hybrid 1TB hard drive
  • Faster Loading Times
  • 1 year PS+ included
As long as no games come out that absolutely require the VR processing unit as extra juice to run whatsoever, this could work. People already buy multiple SKUs with different HDD configs. Just make sure the games are scalable between those on reg. PS4s and those on the newer model with the bit of extra processing power and there's really no room for complaints.

It's not like the 32X if you do it that way.

Chobel

Seriously? 935k with 30% digital is....? How many, hm....? Game sold north of 350k in November and 20% digital....how many, hm? Bundles didn't do shit and you will get 1.7 mil. Simple math. 1.7 isn't close to 2 mil.

October was 1.3m. November had 358K in retail, assuming 80:20 ratio, you get 90K from digital. Add to that say 50K-100K Halo 5 LE bundle and you get 1800K-1850K for Halo 5 LTD.

Shenmue

Banned
I guess MS should just cancel Oculus Rift support on XBO then, 'cuz if PS4 can't do it XBO definitely can't do it :/

As long as no games come out that absolutely require the VR processing unit as extra juice to run whatsoever, this could work. People already buy multiple SKUs with different HDD configs. Just make sure the games are scalable between those on reg. PS4s and those on the newer model with the bit of extra processing power and there's really no room for complaints.

It's not like the 32X if you do it that way.

The xbox implementation is nothing more than a screen in virtual reality. It's not integrated into games. Probably because it indeed cannot support it.

XBO don't have support for Oculus Rift, the hardware simple will stream games for the device.
Huh, I thought it did. Does MS have any VR solution planned? Even the Illumiroom stuff from that leaked document years ago has been radio silent.

The xbox implementation is nothing more than a screen in virtual reality. It's not integrated into games. Probably because it indeed cannot support it.

That doesn't make sense even picturing it. Seems like a bad middle-of-the-road compromise.

t_wilson01

Would anyone like to confirm this offer from Newegg? They are offering a $20 gift card with the purchase of the SW or UC bundles for a limited time. Here's the LINK.

My apologies if this shouldn't be posted here. Don't know where else to do so.

Three

PSX was a little more than that.
All you have to do is look at the back of one to know it was a little more than that

psx3_10.jpg

AniHawk

I wonder if next year Jan-Oct will be flat/lower and Nov-Dec will be even higher.

unless xb1 is $299.99 after the holidays, i can see it doing worse. ps4 is about to take off though. it's been doing well, but 2016 will be the year it sells like a market leader has traditionally done.

microsoft's probably going to be the second to jump into the 9th gen. i think they'll do it by 2018, but there's more to it than them simply starting the gen from scratch to 'win' next time. the company's direction's moving in a certain way that the xb1 is kinda/sorta excluded from. bringing it into the fold is probably what they want. the xb1 was basically the culmination of all their plans to make a set-top box, which was the reason for breaking into the industry. it didn't work for a large number of reasons, so instead of having that one piece of hardware that kind of exists outside of the standard windows thing, they might try to bring it in.

Shenmue

Banned
Huh, I thought it did. Does MS have any VR solution planned? Even the Illumiroom stuff from that leaked document years ago has been radio silent.

No VR solution. Only the hololens demos they've been showing but I'm going to bet thats all vaporware and it never shows up on xbox one at all.

Top Bottom