• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

I haven't been following this.

So are people apparently gleeful that TR tanked because they don't like the new TR? Or is it the XB1 timed exclusivity? Both?

For what it's worth, I think the game tanked mostly because of the other games coming out. Even if it had been released on both platforms, I think putting it out amongst Fallout, COD, Star Wars, and Halo was suicide.

Halos has always launched in one console, also they used to do +3m a day! Microsoft needs to make an Uncharted killer this time, how the cycle has changed.

To be fair to Microsoft, we haven't even seen how Uncharted will sell on the PS4. We can assume it will kill but that doesn't mean it will. If anything, Microsoft may need a The Last of Us killer. A sequel to that game is going to do monster numbers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All the $20 off sales all of a sudden makes it obvious they overestimated (initial) Battlefront units.

Well, Battlefield 3 did get to 17 million LTD so it's certainly not a bad start.

That said I think their more reserved 13 million prediction is more realistic.

So I'm still baffled at how Just Dance 2016 managed to chart, with the Wii coming out on top? Like WTF is up with that; how are games on that system still selling?

There are so many to choose from!

Never forget.

rTJ8jwZ.png

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
March 2013 - 644,000 / NEW
June 2013 - 808,000 LTD

That's not terrible and that's new copies at US retail only. Remember that the game got PS4 and Xbox One ports as well the following year as well a Mac OS X port and visibility on Steam. It climbed up to 8.5 million units, a franchise peak.

Tomb Raider sold ~640k in march but was multiplatform. Rise of Tomb Raider is almost a Xbox One exclusive (360 is dead at this point).

If sold ~300k is not a bomba.

It didn't do that well in the US if Zhuge is telling the truth.

More than 1 million tombs were raided on Xbox One this November.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/675091109723394049

There are 9 tombs in the game, so 1 million divided by 9 would be 111k, but it's over that, so expect a bit higher. MS would have to pay a lot to compensate for all the lost sales. The handling of this game will be remembered for years.

Elios83

<200k for Tomb Raider...
I wonder if there's an escape clause, like Square Enix paying a small penalty to break the contract.
Afterall at this point Microsoft has more to gain by keeping a good relationship with the publisher for the future than it has by keeping this game exclusive.

Tomb Raider sold ~640k in march but was multiplatform. Rise of Tomb Raider is almost a Xbox One exclusive (360 is dead at this point).

If sold ~300k is not a bomba.

It is a bomba on Xbox. It won't even hit a million in the first month. Lower profile games like Bloodborne and inFAMOUS SS did that in two weeks or less.

Toki767

So are people apparently gleeful that TR tanked because they don't like the new TR? Or is it the XB1 timed exclusivity? Both?

For what it's worth, I think the game tanked mostly because of the other games coming out. Even if it had been released on both platforms, I think putting it out amongst Fallout, COD, Star Wars, and Halo was suicide.

I don't know how much people are gleeful about it rather than everyone is just making fun of Microsoft and Square Enix for an obviously horrible business deal.

Kyougar

Steamspy numbers add

900k for Fallout and
120k For Cod.

But Steamspy is for the full november in US and not the exact reporting period. (adds 2 full days I think

geomon

Nobody is gleeful. If anything we're pissed because it could mean the end of a very promising franchise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For Tomb Raider, the game quality is good, but the release strategy was incredibly stupid.

It launched on the second place platform in a month where game #3 sold 2 million copies, despite being in a genre which isn't exactly at the top of the charts this generation (or even getting made that much anymore).

Their best bet is to try selling the game at bargain bin prices to get it to as many people as possible so they're still positive about the next game due to the quality bar, though they might also have to adjust the game to match today's (and presumably tomorrow's even more intense) open world madness.

This is quite an unfortunate follow-up to a game that shipped 8.5 million units and already executed the bomba pricing strategy to build the audience for this one.

Mahonay

Banned
TR not in the top ten. Fuck. I kind of expected that might happen but it's crazy to see it just not listed at all.

Seems like a massive month for console sales across the board. Hope we see some kind of numbers. I assumed PS4 would win out but it's probably pretty close?

Top Bottom