• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

etta

my hard graphic balls
maybe?
lots of core went to PS4 that would buy the game, H4 and MCC disaster, 343 and not Bungie, too many games this fall, maybe they expected it not do as well, but somehow still very successful? No idea.

Of course. They account for variables.

Nameless

Black Friday(which essentially extendeds to X-mas this point) looms large. Anyone in the market for a gaming console would have had to exist in a bubble not hear about last year's insanity. Free games and gift cards on top of bargain bin HW prices--retailers online and off were practically throwing these things at people. Even here on GAF there were multiple threads where the overwhelming majority were advising the OP to tough it through mega-releases and wait till BF to purchases their system of choice.

Plus I think both MS and Sony cannibalized themselves a bit with the sheer amount of bundles they've announced. If you really wanted Fallout, Tomb Raider, Call of Duty, or Star Wars you were incentivized not to purchase a console in October.

It was a bad time for a price cut. They should've announced it post holiday cut at PSX.

It's possible that the price cut helped the Battlefront and BO3 bundles significantly more than it did for the Uncharted collection. However, we won't know for sure until November and December NPD.

It's possible that the price cut helped the Battlefront and BO3 bundles significantly more than it did for the Uncharted collection. However, we won't know for sure until November and December NPD.

Well, they should've cut for those as like a "special holiday price" or whatnot. Then perma cut in January.

Black Friday(which essentially extendeds to X-mas this point) looms large. Anyone in the market for a gaming console would have had to exist in a bubble not hear about last year's insanity. Free games and gift cards on top of bargain bin HW prices--retailers online and off were practically throwing these things at people. Even here on GAF there were multiple threads where the overwhelming majority were advising the OP to tough it through mega-releases and wait till BF to purchases their system of choice.

Plus I think both MS and Sony cannibalized themselves a bit with the sheer amount of bundles they've announced. If you really wanted Fallout, Tomb Raider, Call of Duty, or Star Wars you were incentivized not to purchase a console in October.

Microsoft has poisoned themselves because there is now only month a year that it makes sense to buy an Xbox.

Javin98

Banned
This isn't directed at you Jav, but salesGAF in general.

I'm not sure why people are surprised. It's the month before the biggest sales period in America. Anyone who expected either to sell 400k+ in October was kidding themselves, IMHO. They didn't last year. They wouldn't this year. Halo 5 and 50 dollar price drops are well and good, but people PROVED last year they'll wait for deals. Did no one see the leaked Black Friday deals? And even then, Xbox One is up 81% YoY, BEFORE Black Friday, BEFORE the holiday rush. I find that encouraging, myself. People screaming about Halo 5 being down compared to Halo 4 need to remember that A: digital sales aren't counted, B: bundles aren't counted, and C: it released end of the month.

Beyond that, next gen console sales overall are up 12% YoY. And yet here we are again at "consoles are doomed". Because a console didn't sell what some armchair analyst said it should, ignoring the YoY growth.I'm past exasperation, and have settled somewhere between disbelief and incomprehension. Or maybe I'm just too dumb to comprehend the train of thought. At any rate, back to Fallout 4, right after I use necromancy to raise my poor PS4 from the dead.
I don't know, I just thought the PS4 would gain a much bigger boost seeing how it just got its first price drop in 2 years. The XB1, on the other hand, did see a major increase from October last year, but I bet that was mostly because Microsoft announced the infamous AC Unity bundle for November. Obviously, that killed sales for October last year. Furthermore, I know Halo 5 is in a significant decline from the previous entries sales-wise, but I expected it to boost hardware sales more. I just hope the mediocre sales for October is the result of consumers waiting for the holidays to jump aboard.

You've learnt not to make rash statements. Wait for sales figures before comparing its strength to past entries.
OK, sorry. I was just basing what I said off of hearing that it was the fastest selling xbone exclusive, but I misremembered it as the fastest selling halo entry.
If you read the thread you will see thats not true. Still strong of course, but its looking like this Halo will have a >50% decline.
shit...yeah, I didn't really look through. my bad.

BokehKing

Banned
I don't know, I just thought the PS4 would gain a much bigger boost seeing how it just got its first price drop in 2 years. The XB1, on the other hand, did see a major increase from October last year, but I bet that was mostly because Microsoft announced the infamous AC Unity bundle for November. Obviously, that killed sales for October last year. Furthermore, I know Halo 5 is in a significant decline from the previous entries sales-wise, but I expected it to boost hardware sales more. I just hope the mediocre sales for October is the result of consumers waiting for the holidays to jump aboard.
Yeah but what's a $50 price drop? Might as well kept it at $400 and packed in more games $50 is nothing

Xbox has dropped $150 since it first came out

Plus that halo 5 bundle was not cheap at all, $500, I bought it, was caught in the hype, granted o exchanged it for a $350 holiday bundle but still , Microsoft had the more attractive bundles

Seems like the numbers are all horrible. And it goes to show that you can't trust amazon, best buy, walmart, gamestop, etc best sellers. I think all of those showed that PS4>XB1, but numbers came out and it's XB1>PS4.

You. I like you. Good questions.

NPD forecasts the US video game Packaged goods market on an over 90% sample. The extrapolation rates for the remaining percentage are quite solid. Therefore, yes, there is a high degree of reliability for the market.

You heard incorrectly. NPD has arrangements with all major US retailers including Walmart, GameStop, Best Buy, Amazon, and many, many others.

The figures NPD publishes are quite good for estimating the size of the packaged goods, physical, retail, video game market. However, the figures do not include sales of digital software on PSN or XBL, for example. Therefore, the slice NPD represents is a quite poor representation of the complete market for video game spending.

The packaged goods market has been in decline for some time. However, these declines are more than made up for by growth in Digital, Mobile, Tablet, PC, etc. The overall gaming pie is growing at a fantastic rate. However, the portion of the market NPD covers is in decline.

NPD has cracked down on the type of data it releases publicly because, as this slice is the only data available, it is quite misleading for the health of the industry as a whole.

Do you think we're at a point where digital sales need to be tracked consistently? IIRC, T2, EA, Ubi, etc all said that digital is about 20% of console game sales, on average. While that is a minority and numbers can probably differ from 10-30%, that is still a significant chunk, IMHO. That means 1 out of 4 consumers bought the game digitally and could change how a perceived "bomba" actually did "kind of ok" or a game can go from "met expectations" to "exceed expectations"

And that's before we even take into account iOS, google play, amazon fire game sales, where it's all digital. While I know that's not Gaf's cup of tea, I'd be very interested in seeing those games tracked.

Also, does NPD track used console and game sales?

QaaQer

cat_zpsq0fltosc.jpg

Top Bottom