• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

orochi91

keikaku.jpg

All according to keikaku.

EDIT: DAMNIT

Lmao

To counter some of the narrative around bad hardware sales; judging sakes patterns overall for the year is the most crucial data for estimating the health of the industry. This close to the holidays, console sales suffering is not all that unreasonable, since we have a much much more informed buying public, and since the gotta have releases that would have pushed sales upwards were limited to halo. The more informed buying public is exponentially more informed than they were in 2007, and that's why the push for mid cycle enhancements a la ps4.5, lower entry prices at the start of the generation, and hardware generations that cycle faster [than 7 years], and more backwards compatible hardware all begin to look like the way of the future. We just have to consider how the console hardware can live in a rapidly advancing and accessible computing age.

I'm not all that concerned about October sales because holiday sales will be huge. But the level of holiday sales is certainly something to look into. We have to consider the much higher burn rate for consumer product fads nowadays and figure out how to loop consoles into that, balancing and juxtaposing that against what we saw for hardware sales at the end of last gen, which would be our most recent example. We're in an age where things move fast though...and we can't count on stability and the status quo.

All that being said, glad to see halo show some results for ms. It is a bit troubling that the effect wasn't larger, and that's the bigger indicator of trends I'll take from all this. A game that's about fun multiplayer longevity is a second thought at least when it comes to converting new users. I expect it to have legs, but whether it pushes new sales, or creates some more parity with ps4 in the US will be a determinor for me.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
CosmicQueso said:
The figures NPD publishes are quite good for estimating the size of the packaged goods, physical, retail, video game market. However, the figures do not include sales of digital software on PSN or XBL, for example. Therefore, the slice NPD represents is a quite poor representation of the complete market for video game spending.

The packaged goods market has been in decline for some time. However, these declines are more than made up for by growth in Digital, Mobile, Tablet, PC, etc. The overall gaming pie is growing at a fantastic rate. However, the portion of the market NPD covers is in decline.

NPD has cracked down on the type of data it releases publicly because, as this slice is the only data available, it is quite misleading for the health of the industry as a whole.

I know this was directed at someone else and all, but I want to chime in and say thanks. Good read. It really detailed some things I was foggy on.

e-gamer

That last point is true. While Xbox One outsold PS4 in October in the U.S., Sony’s system still has a huge lead — although it’s worth pointing out that last generation, when the 360 dominate, PlayStation 3 never had months where a big game would help it outsell Microsoft’s hardware.

That doesn’t speak to the weakness of either system, but to their strength. PlayStation 4 is the fastest-selling system ever and yet Microsoft is capable of eking out a win every once in a while because the Xbox One is also selling well.

That's interesting...

JaggedSac

Or the feasible answer. Getting up to speed with modern business models while playing the goodwill card of "free DLC" after the MCC disaster. But that's just how I see it.

Free DLC is the way to keep the player base from fragmenting due to some owning the content and others not. This is definitely needed for a smaller player base.

Take away from this is Amazon best seller is EXTREMLY unreliable list. So many PS4 bundle were ahead of Xbox One for Oct. Right now Fallout is also way ahead of COD for Nov month but no way I think Fallout will out do COD. Right?

Lol, nobody uses Amazon Monthly charts to predict software sales, like nobody.

Abdiel

I'll repeat that i think the ps4 number can be skewed by the cod and battlefront bundles that where available to pre order but will only count next month.

On the predictions thread we had the best buy insider saying that ps4 was enjoying a healthy sales pace (even outselling XB1), but i think he never told the SKU split.

And Amazon rankings shows that the November games' bundles are pretty popular.

Preorders for the CoD and SW bundles don't count in our stores until they are actually picked up.

However, and I clarified this in the thread, I believe, that the momentum and numbers I was seeing was only for Best Buy, lower than anything on the Destiny Bundles (either of them) - and that I had no idea how any of this would impact Walmart or Gamestop, which make up the lion's share of the US market.

And from what it sounds like how minimal this month really was... Shit, man.

Maybe those two chains were just all wrapped up in ways we didn't see quite the same way at Best Buy. The specific customer bases can be impacted very differently, after all.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
That's interesting...

Didn't ps3 outsold the 360 on GTA V month?

Preorders for the CoD and SW bundles don't count in our stores until they are actually picked up.

However, and I clarified this in the thread, I believe, that the momentum and numbers I was seeing was only for Best Buy, lower than anything on the Destiny Bundles (either of them) - and that I had no idea how any of this would impact Walmart or Gamestop, which make up the lion's share of the US market.

And from what it sounds like how minimal this month really was... Shit, man.

Maybe those two chains were just all wrapped up in ways we didn't see quite the same way at Best Buy. The specific customer bases can be impacted very differently, after all.

Thanks for the clarification, Abdiel!

Nice to know that console pre orders only count at the moment of launch.

I must have skipped your clarification, the thread was huge. Should had just checked your post history.

With this month, Amazon has only been inaccurate twice now I believe. And I suppose the difference between the two consoles will shed some more light on to that.

StoopKid

Yes. Like I said it's still a big franchise and I'm sure Uncharted 4 will sell well but the trajectory of the franchise sales wise is downwards going forward, IMO. Similar to how the hype and sales for GoW3 and GoW:A went on downward trajectory.

I understand that but we're talking about sales not included in bundles. Gears of War: UE hit #3 in August (a smaller month to be fair) and it's been MS's main bundle since August.

lol give me a break.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Yes.

[PS3] 205,000
[360] 170,000

But 3DS was #1 that month. ( 209,000 )

Well, the quote said that ps3 never outsold the 360.not that it was n° 1. =p

"although it’s worth pointing out that last generation, when the 360 dominate, PlayStation 3 never had months where a big game would help it outsell Microsoft’s hardware."

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Take away from this is Amazon best seller is EXTREMLY unreliable list. So many PS4 bundle were ahead of Xbox One for Oct. Right now Fallout is also way ahead of COD for Nov month but no way I think Fallout will out do COD. Right?

Wha...?

Those PS4 bundles are mostly pre-orders for this month, how do they change October NPD?

The Amazon charts were extremely predictable for October IMO. Halo 5 and Uncharted bundles were neck and neck, couple that with the pre-orders of Halo 5 from previous months and it predicted a XB1 win (by a small margin I imagine).

Why can't FO4 beat COD?

pr0cs

I'm glad Microsoft had a good month, if you bring new and compelling software you should be awarded. That plus releasing windows 10 on a console which I would imagine would be a massive undertaking. To me they gained a monstrous amount of goodwill by finally recognizing that not everyone is OK abandoning their digital purchases from gen to gen and at least have some basic but usable backwards compatibility.

The xbone released under shitty Xbox management and they suffered and deservedly so but its clear the xbone is finally hitting its stride and as a gamer I'm happy about that

maybe?
lots of core went to PS4 that would buy the game, H4 and MCC disaster, 343 and not Bungie, too many games this fall, maybe they expected it not do as well, but somehow still very successful? No idea.

Ok something i respect about you is that although you are always very positive about Microsoft, you never meltdown about stupid shit like some other MS fans on this site (you know their names).

wow, what a turn of events.

the first full month that xbone had its price cut, Ps4 outsold. now this was the first full month of Ps4's price cut, but xbone won.

Same. Most of us expected much better sales from hardware than this. However, this thread might go into meltdown when creamsugar arrives. If I understand what Cosmic is hinting at correctly, some posters won't be happy about it.

This isn't directed at you Jav, but salesGAF in general.

I'm not sure why people are surprised. It's the month before the biggest sales period in America. Anyone who expected either to sell 400k+ in October was kidding themselves, IMHO. They didn't last year. They wouldn't this year. Halo 5 and 50 dollar price drops are well and good, but people PROVED last year they'll wait for deals. Did no one see the leaked Black Friday deals? And even then, Xbox One is up 81% YoY, BEFORE Black Friday, BEFORE the holiday rush. I find that encouraging, myself. People screaming about Halo 5 being down compared to Halo 4 need to remember that A: digital sales aren't counted, B: bundles aren't counted, and C: it released end of the month.

Beyond that, next gen console sales overall are up 12% YoY. And yet here we are again at "consoles are doomed". Because a console didn't sell what some armchair analyst said it should, ignoring the YoY growth.I'm past exasperation, and have settled somewhere between disbelief and incomprehension. Or maybe I'm just too dumb to comprehend the train of thought. At any rate, back to Fallout 4, right after I use necromancy to raise my poor PS4 from the dead.

Top Bottom