• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

sense

Where are ppl getting that halo sold under a million? (didn't see anything in op but I could be blind) That's shocking if true

insiders with solid track record with access to npd data have in a roundabout way confirmed less than 1 million for halo 5

Two people said it. People are saying they're "NPD insiders" but I just can't believe it.

would you believe if cream sugar confirms it as well or you don't know him as well?

Then we have the Halo 5 bundle. Now I doubt it did well, especially considering how little it did compared to expectations. So I'll be generous, and say 200k.
That's not generous. Per Amazon, that bundle was far and away the most popular version of Xbox One sold this month. It almost certainly did more than 200k in the U.S. alone, much less worldwide. Differences like this add up.

Just ask yourself what is more likely: that some of the many guesses you've made are wrong, or that two people with access to the actual NPD numbers are both lying.

After last year's utterly fucked releases for both AC and Halo, its simply delicious to see both these franchises pay the price for shipping off in completely unacceptable shape. This is the biggest fuck you we could have possibly given to their respective studios and i'm grateful for it.

I think you have it wrong, I don't believe they 343/partner studios or Ubisoft Montreal (whoever did ACU) should be the ones to pay here, it's the publishers IPs and they are the ones who have the call to decide if a game is hitting that date or not. If a game isn't finished I'm not sure what the developer is expected to do in this case, I don't doubt they worked incredibly hard, sometimes you need more time…

Publishers should be carrying the can for this (unless studios kept the state of the game from the publisher which I find unlikely)

I don't know. Either way, its clear October massively disappointed. PS4 was very likely down YOY, XB1 barely kept its footing, and Halo 5 MAY have sold less than 1 million physical in the US. Like I said, we did hear Halo 5 sold roughly 1 million digital, so that MAY be a saving grace, but I don't know at this point.
When did we hear this???

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Why do people expect uncharted collection to sell, it's a collection of old games. The fact that it charted is crazy and they should be thrilled.

Expectations for these HD ports are always out of wack. The Last of Us and the PS3 God of War collection are the only ones I can think of that made a dent.

Here's a damn interesting question.

Does Ubi release yet ANOTHER yearly Creed release next year? And if so what the hell can they do to salvage this thing.

super6646

Banned
That's not generous. Per Amazon, that bundle was far and away the most popular version of Xbox One sold this month. It almost certainly did more than 200k in the U.S. alone, much less worldwide. Differences like this add up.

Just ask yourself what is more likely: that some of the many guesses you've made are wrong, or that two people with access to the actual NPD numbers are both lying.

The XB1 did 300k this month. I doubt more than 2/3 of sales came from a 500$ console. Amazon also showed the PS4 ahead for the month, and it ended up losing.

Oh, do you have the bundle numbers?

Like I said, that wasn't the point. If you followed the conversation, then you would realize that I was pointing out that I think that there's a decent number of people on XB1 that are Bungie fans and not Halo fans. For what the original poster was saying, I was agreeing with them about how Destiny could have an impact on Halo sales and pointed out software numbers to reinforce that fact. You two for some reason went back to hard numbers and it came across as some sort of nasally, "Well PS4 sold more of Destiny if you take into account the bundles."

Which, like I said, wasn't the point of that particular conversation.

To be fair, you didn't clarify what your point was until now. And you did say XB1 sales were higher than PS4, which is totally irrelevant to your point and the discussion you two were having.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Any insight into how the Elite controllers did?

I would love to know that. Because as far as I can tell, it's sold out here in Denver and the surrounding area.

Edit:
To be fair, you didn't clarify what your point was until now. And you did say XB1 sales were higher than PS4, which is totally irrelevant to your point and the discussion you two were having.
The entire conversation that kicked this whole thing off was the OP (not of the thread) asking if Destiny had an effect. My responses were directly about that. I'm not sure where the lines got crossed.

Very interesting threat. Nobody seems to enjoy the numbers. We do have a winner, but even he couldn't match expectations at all.

I for one still refuse to believe that Halo 5 sold less that one million units.

I've also learned that the UC Triology isn't a big thing in the US, hence the game itself and the $350 bundle may not have met Sony's expectations.

That said, it seems to me that most buyers chose the Battlefield or CoD bundle, which will only affect November results. In other words, I asume that Sony's price cut will still have a major impact.

Does Ubi release yet ANOTHER yearly Creed release next year? And if so what the hell can they do to salvage this thing.

Its gets even harder considering syndicate was rather positively received and still tanked.
at this point they cannot have a less than exemplary game or the series goes into hibernation.

Shorter generations with more forward compatible software? I'm personally waging that Microsoft is going to to move away from dedicated game consoles though, not from gaming but towards services across platforms. And this is as soon as this generation is done, the XBO will be the last traditional Microsoft console.

They'll move away from dedicated consoles but still support them. The Xbox console will just be one place that you will be able to play Xbox games. I can see Microsoft offering a home computer appliance which would be a self contained unit like an Xbox or laptop, but have the Xbox form factor, be able to run any program in the Microsoft store, and run Xbox games.

Superman00

Liverpool01
I think November NPD will take away a lot of this sense of "doom" feeling. Well for everything not named Lara Croft

This, people need to step back and looked at how stacked November for the PS4 is.

PS4 has:

BO3(Million+ easily, plus the bundle will drive hardware)
Fall Out 4(Million + easily)
Star Wars(indication that the bundle is doing pretty well, plus the massive hype of the movie)
$299 deal at everywhere for BF. It's $100 less than last year.

kyser73

Two people said it. People are saying they're "NPD insiders" but I just can't believe it.

They're not 'NPD insiders', they just work at companies that pay for the NPD data.

If you had the money or worked for say, an investment firm (who are the kind of people who buy this information) you too could see NPD's market data.

They're not ninjas FFS. Well Harker might be.

Madness

Why do people expect uncharted collection to sell, it's a collection of old games. The fact that it charted is crazy and they should be thrilled.

I don't know, I mean PS4 has double the install base of Xbox One, and Master Chief Collection charted at #3 on NPD last year, even with the negative press of the game flat out not working. You would think one of the best remasters of one of the top AAA IP's done by Bluepoint would chart higher than Yoshi's Wooly World.

sense

Microsoft said it was the best selling digital title on the xbox store for a launch week to date. Minecraft did 1 million, so Halo 5 probably did around the same figures if not a bit better.

.......best selling for an opening week. stop speaking out of your ass

Yes because AssCreed 2016 is already at least 2+ years into development, since it's led by different studios each year on rotation.

How can they salvage it? Depends on how much they can improve over one year in a substantial way that makes people go "wow" at AssCreed.

I don't know, I mean PS4 has double the install base of Xbox One, and Master Chief Collection charted at #3 on NPD last year, even with the negative press of the game flat out not working. You would think one of the best remasters of one of the top AAA IP's done by Bluepoint would chart higher than Yoshi's Wooly World.
Not in the US.

super6646

Banned
Most of those bundles amazon was showing were for this month .

Most of those bundles amazon was showing were for this month? Can you please word that better? Anyway, yes, it was ahead. But there were several other bundle's that charted as well. And like I said, Amazon's streak was broken in October.

Halo is also a bigger brand than Uncharted.

By the way, it charted on #10.

The XB1 did 300k this month. I doubt more than 2/3 of sales came from a 500$ console. Amazon also showed the PS4 ahead for the month, and it ended up losing.
Amazon also showed the Halo bundle as the best-selling version of Xbox in August, sales that NPD didn't include until now. That's why PS4 lost despite leading October's Amazon list, and it's also why we can say the $500 bundle was the majority of Xboxes sold for October.

neither yoshi nor halo had their sequel releasing in a matter of 5 months

Its gets even harder considering syndicate was rather positively received and still tanked.
at this point they cannot have a less than exemplary game or the series goes into hibernation.

Yes because AssCreed 2016 is already at least 2+ years into development, since it's led by different studios each year on rotation.

How can they salvage it? Depends on how much they can improve over one year in a substantial way that makes people go "wow" at AssCreed.

Nice responses. Yeah I guess Creed 2016 is for sure coming because ots so deep into development but I really wonder if the franchise goes on the back burner after that.

The thing is, even if the game is damn good I just think people are sick of the franchise. The fatigue is real

maybe they'll rely on tom clancy... if that releases next year

on a sidenote i can't imagine watch dogs 2 doing better than the first, unless its a huge shake up like ac1->2

RibMan

Halo 5 selling < 1 million would make it the biggest failure of the generation. I'm not doubting the insiders, but hopefully we get an additional source (with concrete numbers) on how the title performed.

Remember, the Halo 5 bundle was $500.
If it did a minimum of 200k that would be $100 million in 1 week.
Highly unlikely.

Top Bottom