• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

keram

Xbox Live Marketplace (360)

Xbox Store (One)

I would imagine they were counting both as seperate stores.

Good to see Yoshi charting!

Could be true :)

In the Live Marketplace Minecraft x360 is indeed on the first place, but there are no Xbox One games at all.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Games?SortBy=BestSelling

The Xbox One Store seems to be under "Microsoftstore"
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/categoryID.69405600

So Halo 5 broke the record of the "Microsoft Xbox One Store" or the record of the "Live Marketplace Store" ?

Are this the same or different stores, this is the question.

Just imagine MS would release the sale numbers of Halo 5 they are proud of instead argument by superlatives, that would help a lot. :)

You know, there is still a chance for Halo. For the next game, if only they take away sprint some old fans may return. They said they would put split-screen back in, which would surely boost sales a lot. In the past, they have done very well with Mountain Dew Game Fuel promotions. For some reason, they thought they could skip this crucial marketing strategy this time. If only they hadn't, things could be different. But it's not too late. They can still partner with Dew for Halo 6 and watch sales soar yet again.

People tell me that because of one lacklustre launch, Halo is dead. Dead? Didn't you know? Spartans never die.

zsynqx

With it's sales trajectory, what are we looking at for Halo 5 lifetime sales, 2.5-3 million?

Bear in mind that US is 65% of XB1's marketshare, and Halo is most popular in the country, and that less than a million debut looks very worrying.

Holy shit when you put it like that. I reckon it will have pretty great legs and get bundled t hell so I imagine it will at least manage 4-5 million if not more. Remember it is likely over 1 million when you consider digital/bundled sales as well.

Javin98

Banned
If cream leave us NPD threads will die, there's no point in being here without a minimum data.
Yep, I really hope that it doesn't happen. If cream really leaves us, we'll be completely be missing info on the largest individual market for console sales.

Toki767

I'm kind of guessing The Master Chief Collection just left a sour taste in most people so they decided to skip out on Halo 5.

Same amount of money + smaller install base to sell next game to = winning? :p

Dollar dollar bill yo!

A thread that was supposed to be remembered for the whole generation has turned to shit when cream suddenly disappears.

Ha! I think it's been entertaining. Both consoles well below what people were predicting is a real shocker, Halo sales were at an all time low, muted PR everywhere.

My old pal digital reared his ugly head again and there have been a couple meltdowns.

Kinda joking! But we genuinely need Cream to make an appearance for some solid sales discussion for now and the coming months.

Yeah. And typically games are heavily front loaded, which is basically like the first week.

I would be pretty surprised if Halo charted in November.

If you take into account Black Friday there's a probability of a sales spike, as to whether it's enough to chart however...

haimon

In regards to Halo, we should wait and see what the number of consoles that were the halo pack.

Also, it is possible that a large number of sales might be digital.

I am not saying halo 5 is anywhere near the sales that the other ones were, but it might not be as bad as some people seem to think.

GnawtyDog

Banned
With it's sales trajectory, what are we looking at for Halo 5 lifetime sales, 2.5-3 million?

Bear in mind that US is 65% of XB1's marketshare, and Halo is most popular in the country, and that less than a million debut looks very worrying.

4m - 4.5m safe. 3.5 underperfoming, 6m strong legs, heavy bundling.

Lets put some context on the digital angle, I'm just starting up. So, if we're going by 30% digital, it means it sold 1,357,142 copies in it's first week.

That graph is week 1, and then counter in the 78% drop the second week means it sold 298,571 in it's second week. For guesstimates sake, keep that number for the weeks after that, which means it sold a total of 2,252,855 copies in the full month.

Considering the graph maxes at 3 weeks sales, that number is still a chunk underneath the rest of the titles, even with 1 week more of sales.
Most of us know digital isn't the excuse for this time. In the future yes and we will have no sales to talk about anyways.

I'm the end I'm not big on sales. I loved mag,in a sense I have to care sales a bit or I don't get games I enjoy. So there is a fine line here that's hard to meet.

Javin98

Banned
Ha! I think it's been entertaining. Both consoles well below what people were predicting is a real shocker, Halo sales were at an all time low, muted PR everywhere.

My old pal digital reared his ugly head again and there have been a couple meltdowns.

Kinda joking! But we genuinely need Cream to make an appearance for some solid sales discussion for now and the coming months.
The low consoles sales and absurdity of some posts regarding digital downloads of Halo 5 plus the sudden disappearance of cream is just making this thread boring for me. I'm still hoping that cream shows up, but my hope is dwindling.

Where did we go wrong ;__;
What a mess we made, where it all went wrong. :p

On a more serious note, it's not entirely GAF's fault, I'd say only partly. This thread became boring because of the secrecy of information that we have yet to receive.

leeh

I don't know exactly, but simply saying weeks 3 and 4 will be the same as week 2 because 'reasons' doesn't really paint a logical picture.
Halo is not a 'word of mouth' game. Everyone knows what it is.
Even with those week 3 & 4 over guesses, the numbers are still way off the other entries with an extra week of sales. It makes it look worse.

Where did we go wrong ;__;

But I believe the world is burning to the ground
Oh well, I guess we're gonna find out
Let's see how far we've come
Well I, believe, it all, is coming to an end
Oh well, I guess, we're gonna pretend,

Lets put some context on the digital angle, I'm just starting up. So, if we're going by 30% digital, it means it sold 1,357,142 copies in it's first week.

That graph is week 1, and then counter in the 78% drop the second week means it sold 298,571 in it's second week. For guesstimates sake, keep that number for the weeks after that, which means it sold a total of 2,252,855 copies in the full month.

Considering the graph maxes at 3 weeks sales, that number is still a chunk underneath the rest of the titles, even with 1 week more of sales.

Guys, guys, if we think about it hard enough we can make Halo's sales bigger.

There are still a ton of people waiting for halo to be like Halo again. So, maybe its time to make that into the next game. Man, it would be great to.get a few shooters withoit sprint and stuff. I m going to buy two copies of deus ex just to say thank you for not making a cod rip off.

With those REQ cards making bank? Old school Halo is never coming back.

Javin98

Banned
But I believe the world is burning to the ground
Oh well, I guess we're gonna find out
Well I, believe, it all, is coming to an end
Oh well, I guess, we're gonna pretend,
Whispers in the air tell the tale
Of a life that's gone
Desolation, devastation
What a mess we made, when it all went wrong

I'm nuclear
I'm wild
I'm breaking up inside
A heart of broken glass

leeh

Guys, guys, if we think about it hard enough we can make Halo's sales bigger.
If you consider what I'm actually saying, it makes it look worse. You factor in digital and a full months worth of sales, and it still falls short of previous numbers by a mil.

Does anyone know the sales numbers for CoD?

The low consoles sales and absurdity of some posts regarding digital downloads of Halo 5 plus the sudden disappearance of cream is just making this thread boring for me. I'm still hoping that cream shows up, but my hope is dwindling.

What a mess we made, where it all went wrong. :p

On a more serious note, it's not entirely GAF's fault, I'd say only partly. This thread became boring because of the secrecy of information that we have yet to receive.

I seem to vaguely remember an NPD where Cream showed up after a day or two to post some numbers last year.

Maybe he will do something similar once this thread is a little less active.
Don't give up on those pies yet ;)

pastrami

If you consider what I'm actually saying, it makes it look worse. You factor in digital and a full months worth of sales, and it still falls short of previous numbers by a mil.

Is taking the data at face value not enough to say that Halo has done poorly compared to previous releases? Why bring in hypotheticals about digital and future sales?

Javin98

Banned
I seem to vaguely remember an NPD where Cream showed up after a day or two to post some numbers last year.

Wait, a day or two? Damn, the wait must have been grueling. But fortunately, I lost most of my interest in this thread, so I can wait, I think.

allan-bh

Certainly a lot discussions are taking place on Microsoft about what's going on with Halo franchise.

It's an iconic IP for Xbox and they will try to bring back the huge sales. But first they need to identify the problem. Is 343i? Is a natural fatigue? Is a change in the market?

Some things need to change for Halo 6.

leeh

Is taking the data at face value not enough to say that Halo has done poorly compared to previous releases? Why bring in hypotheticals about digital and future sales?
Because it gives you the full picture on numbers? Albeit with split numbers pulled out of thin air. That graph makes the situation seem a lot more bleak than what it is. With the saturation of the FPS market and with the decline seen in franchises like CoD, you can take it whatever way you want to.

Javin98

Banned
Going multiplat?
If you mean any platform besides PC, I highly doubt that. Microsoft is unlikely to release their biggest IP on other platforms, besides PC.

We need a new bingo sheet, guys. This one needs Halo 5 digital sales are 40%, XB1 won because it is well built and 3rd and 4th weeks of sales are similar to 2nd.

leeh

Do you see the problem?
Of course, but then it's a problem looking at a graph which is incomplete as well. You can't put data in a graph and compare against numbers which include all the sale mediums, with one column which doesn't.

Alo0oy

Banned
compared to who??? Apple?

because if the ps4 numbers are mediocre I'd hate to see what MS and Nintys are...

Compared to its predecessor, the PS4 is just barely above the PS3 YTD, & that console was #3 in the US by a significant margin, the situation is even worse for MS, & the Wii U is dead.

EDIT: I'm well aware of PS4's success WW, but I'm talking about NPD here.

panda-zebra

Because it gives you the full picture on numbers? Albeit with split numbers pulled out of thin air. That graph makes the situation seem a lot more bleak than what it is.

Take a small number. Take a percentage of it. Result? Damn small number.

The smaller that bar on the chart looks, the smaller effect your imaginary percentages have. Not much more worth saying beyond that right now.

gaming_noob

Certainly a lot discussions are taking place on Microsoft about what's going on with Halo franchise.

It's an iconic IP for Xbox and they will try to bring back the huge sales. But first they need to identify the problem. Is 343i? Is a natural fatigue? Is a change in the market?

Let 343i work on a new franchise. Masterchief and the Halo universe has run its course and will never be as big as it was. I'd like to see them try a WWII FPS that's story based.

I personally wouldn't know why anyone would buy a digital copy of a game for at least €/$60 while you van buy it around €/$45 in certain stores at launch, and have the resell value. I don't think digital is significant for Halo 5. I think it's a combination of changed FPS market and franchise fatigue that makes people not buy it day one. I do think it'll have long legs though.

I bought digital because the purchase of a computer game is negligible compared to my salary. I also have two young children who like scratching discs. The only discs I buy are in collector editions. I can also get it without bothering to go to the shops which I don't have time for to get the "cheapest price".

[Anecdotal evidence alert]

There are so many people in my generation (35+) that are console gamers and who now have significant disposable income. It's not like 20 years ago where console gamers were of a much lower age on average. My friends are all largely digital.

I do want to see the digital figures in evidence before we can comment for sure but that's for another day.

allan-bh

Last year (also for NPD October) he didn't show up, then did an appearance on thanksgiving.

leeh

Do you believe your solution completes the graph?
No, but it's a gauge of what it did for the full month, which is worse than 3 weeks of the past titles.

Take a small number. Take a percentage of it. Result? Damn small number.

The smaller that bar on the chart looks, the smaller effect your imaginary percentages have. Not much more worth saying beyond that right now.
Why'd you have to try and be a smart arse? I stated in my previous posts that even with guesstimate 4 week sales, it still sold a lot less than the past 3 mainline titles. There's nothing wrong with trying to fill in the gaps.

Do we have any numbers for week 1 sales of CoD?

Trup1aya

I personally wouldn't know why anyone would buy a digital copy of a game for at least €/$60 while you van buy it around €/$45 in certain stores at launch, and have the resell value. I don't think digital is significant for Halo 5. I think it's a combination of changed FPS market and franchise fatigue that makes people not buy it day one. I do think it'll have long legs though.

For some people resale value isn't a factor. For a multiplayer game that one expects to play for a while, resale value means nothing. By the time you are done with it, it has no resale value.

If that's the type of experience one expects, then the convienience of digital might outweigh all the rest.

Digital adoption is probably above average for this title. But it isn't going to make up for the decline.. This IPs stregnth had been declining since It peaked at Halo 3. Subsequent titles hid the decline behind a rather large Xbox 360 installed base. This time there is no such shielding...

panda-zebra

Why'd you have to try and be a smart arse? I stated in my previous posts that even with guesstimate 4 week sales, it still sold a lot less than the past 3 mainline titles. There's nothing wrong with trying to fill in the gaps.

Wasn't trying to be smart, an arse, or a combination of the two.

Filling in the gaps is part of what salesGAF do. But it's important what you attempt to fill them with.

Alo0oy

Banned

The IP was relying on a singular market, it was a bad idea from the start, any change in that market basically kills the entire IP, compared to something that is successful in multiple markets (like Final Fantasy), a decline in one market doesn't mean the IP is dead.

Not that Halo is dead, this is all relative of course.

Top Bottom