• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For October 2016

Mikey Jr.

For Ms staples, gears and Halo took massive hits. Halo still sold very well though.

Still sold decently, but yeah. Something needs to happen with the next entries. Something major.

Abdiel

Fuuuuuuck.

I'm so tired.

I'm going to go sleep for a bit, then I'll post some comments in detail later.

Lots of both systems being sold. Our entire stock of doorbuster priced inventory for both systems completely gone. Still have some of the more expensive xb1 bundles (purely by virtue of cost), but I think today's winner is going to be dictated by stock.

Bye for now.

TLOU2 will be 1 million+
What did TLoU open with?

Fuuuuuuck.

I'm so tired.

Lots of both systems being sold. Our entire stock of doorbuster priced inventory for both systems completely gone. Still have some of the more expensive xb1 bundles (purely by virtue of cost), but I think today's winner is going to be dictated by stock.

Bye for now.
Get lots of good rest!

Almost 1 ML. 985k IIRC ( or something like that).
Hmm, I think TLoU 2 can open at ~1M. Sony has been doing a lot of bundling with TLoU to get people associated with the franchise. I think it can open big if Sony plan the promotion for it right. Basically, what they did with UC4 in that regard.

Fuuuuuuck.

I'm so tired.

Bye for now.
Sleep fast

After how big the first last of us opened I think the the last of us 2 will be bigger than uc4. It's a sequel to a game that won so many awards as well as a sequel taking a fair amount of time to release which I think would generate more hype for it. Also this gen sony's exclusives have been doing much better and In the US I feel like that they have more of a core base for their ips this go around. The additional core base being ex 360 owners.

donny2112

Thanks!

Just to provide some different anecdotal reports, my Best Buy had piles of PS4, PS4Pro, and XB1s for the Black Friday bundles ($250 and $400 for Pro) last night around 11 p.m. Thought about taking pictures, because I was really surprised all systems still had a lot left (big piles, guessing 20+ in each?). Good to hear it wasn't like that everywhere, though. Was thinking holidays might've really been down this year! :lol

Thanks!

Just to provide some different anecdotal reports, my Best Buy had piles of PS4, PS4Pro, and XB1s for the Black Friday bundles ($250 and $400 for Pro) last night around 11 p.m. Thought about taking pictures, because I was really surprised all systems still had a lot left (big piles, guessing 20+ in each?). Good to hear it wasn't like that everywhere, though. Was thinking holidays might've really been down this year! :lol

what about anecdotal 3DS reports :p

Posting for Ab -

I totally forgot to go back to the NPD thread after I woke up... I had to go back and close the store again, heh.

So. Basically, our entire stock of the bundles at $249 are gone, and were gone, before the end of my first shift. That's across PS4 and XB1. Both systems did incredibly well. The higher priced bundles on the XB1 side also saw some movement, but being more expensive, that really wasn't the motivation. Likewise, the lack of any special incentives on the Pro meant most people weren't really looking for those on this specific shopping day, and so I saw very few of our Pro inventory move on this particular shopping day. I didn't really expect them to. Sony didn't really increase their shipment of Pro's in preparation for BF, so clearly, they didn't either.

However, both the XB1S and PS4 Slims got very large stock influx beforehand. I don't really know if I have time to really figure out how it balances out, because the XB1 shipment is balanced between multiple SKUs, and yes, they did include the various bundles, not just their cheap ones, so we do have stock left over.

Gotta give MS credit though, on better bundle management for their stock planning though. Last year was a graveyard of misplaced bundles that were still sitting around months later... They've done much better this year with tighter, more well planned bundles. Good job guys! Also tighter planning with how much inventory... though for the BF shipment, maybe a bit overstocked on the 1TB bundles, since those really aren't the motivators? Just musing.

I expect we'll have more PS4 Slims in shortly, maybe even before the end of the weekend, as our Sony rep was stating they've been monitoring the stock situation closely. They've been really good this whole generation with it, so I believe them on that.

------------------

I don't usually comment on the Wii U, like I don't comment on the Vita. It depresses me a bit, how completely these systems were rejected by the market. I love my Vita, and I know Nintendo fans love their Wii Us. I can't really say much in this regard, Nintendo didn't really give us a lot to work with on that front. And even on the 3DS front, we've had great interest due to Pokemon, but we got cleaned out of our entire stock even on the online front of a lot of our core systems almost immediately, so I feel like Nintendo was really tight fisted about their margins. At least they can be content knowing that what they gave us, we sold.

---------------

PSVR units - I've mused about this off and on, but I mean, they don't sit that long, and Black Friday wasn't really a special sale for them, so I don't think it would show up as any major push on our front. Sony seems content with the overall momentum and not trying to sacrifice margin on the hardware to accelerate it. It remains to be seen how their strategy will pan out. We don't get a lot at a time, and they have an extremely low return rate, so they seem to have excellent customer retention with the product.

---------------

As anyone can imagine, we sold a metric fuckton of games. Huge spread, across a myriad of titles, though what that will look like on NPD is anyone's guess, especially since Gamestop sees even more drastic variation.

Abdiel

Thanks!

My understanding is that different stores had waves of customers throughout. There was less chaos to get there right on Thanksgiving Day in some, though my location was pretty busy right out. At the same time, the sheer amount of time the store is open and gave people available time to shop meant that by the time I was getting home to sleep when I posted that, we'd had solid momentum on and off from Thanksgiving evening and into the morning, for the customer base. And as I mentioned in the quoted stuff below, they sent us a lot of stock in advance.

Posting for Ab -

Thanks mate - Yep, those were my more detailed impressions. I had to get up and go back to close.

Abidel showing that MS bias again saying "good job". Ugh!

Buahahahahahahaha

Haha. Thanks Cosmic. Really though, they did do a much better job this year in general, and especially regarding Black Friday. Their bundles have been constructed more carefully, and they've managed their stock better. We're not sitting on stock nearly as long as we did last year, so they're doing a great job.

Really though, they did do a much better job this year in general, and especially regarding Black Friday. Their bundles have been constructed more carefully, and they've managed their stock better. We're not sitting on stock nearly as long as we did last year, so they're doing a great job.

Oh for sure, one of the more admirable qualities of Microsoft is its ability to course correct and adjust. Clearly, it's working for them in the US market this year.

Sterok

Why is Nintendo being so stingy with 3DS shipments (if those stock shortages are occurring)? Like, I get the NES Mini, that's one of their typical limited edition items they always undership because Nintendo, but the 3DS? This is their last chance to really sell it, they have truckloads of Pokemon to sell, and people want it at the cheap price it's selling for now. Seems like they're cutting into their own sales for no reason.

Vena

Why is Nintendo being so stingy with 3DS shipments (if those stock shortages are occurring)? Like, I get the NES Mini, that's one of their typical limited edition items they always undership because Nintendo, but the 3DS? This is their last chance to really sell it, they have truckloads of Pokemon to sell, and people want it at the cheap price it's selling for now. Seems like they're cutting into their own sales for no reason.

Ever consider that they aren't being stingy? There's numerous reasons for why a five (reaching six) year old piece of hardware, that has been regularly up YoY for the last half-year, is reaching stock limitations that isn't "they are being stingy".

Kathian

Banned
Also this is clearly not going to be Nintendo's last chance to sell the 3DS. It's had a great year and has a fantastic library of games - when the Switch launches we'll see a lot more $99.99 prices next year and likely one or two games as well.

Right now Nintendo will be keeping the 3DS as a potential fall back if he Switch does not take off.

Intersting article.
No superstatiatics and worldrecords is unusual.
Maybe the piles of not-selling PS4s everywhere blocked the way to the Xboxes.

I suspect the numbers aren't fully in yet.

Top Bottom