• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD shares their definition of "core gamers", estimates 34 million in the US

zhorkat

I actually don't even think Nintendo's exclusion is that crazy. Nintendo has no core appeal. They have the two farthest ends of the spectrum, casuals and enthusiasts, but no core appeal at all aside from like, Zelda. All they make is either too casual for core gamers (Kirby, Mario) or too hardcore (Wonderful 101, Pikmin). Using them as a metric to measure core gamers would be almost useless.

Wouldn't this NPD number also be useless when it comes to measuring core gamers since it includes enthusiasts as well?

Blearth

Banned
Nintendo doesn't count?

187.gif

Opiate

I think they had 37 million last time.

They did. The "core" gamer demographic is shrinking, according to NPD's definition. Along with the now obvious Nintendo exclusion, this is the most important take away from this data, if we take anything away at all.

gngf123

What if I play Nintendo games for 35 hours a week? Am I not a hardcore gamer?

You can join the rest of us in the camp of casuals, alongside those who play on their iPhones on the way home from work and dudes who play Madden for a couple of hours a week.

Might need to hand in my Neogaf membership card, I'm not core enough. Sorry to all you guys who spend all your time on your Vita as well, guess you need to find a new home.

At least fighting games got a mention somehow.

Mihos

Gold Member
I would be more interested in how many games per year a person bought / money per year spent on those platforms than the time spent.

Especially if they are calling them the 'life blood' of the industry

lt519

Weird definition, I'd like to hear their explanation. My 30 hours of Mario Golf this week was so not core. But my 10 hours of Child of Light the week before was.

Haunted

I'd say people who are still sticking with the WiiU despite its failing in the market are some hardcore motherfuckers, if nothing else.

*salutes*

The number of Nintendo only gamers than can be considered core gamers that don't overlap with PS/Xbox owners is probably too low to care.

I put in tons of hours in on my 3DS, but I also have a PS3 and Xbox 360 so I covered in the survey.

Some Nobody

I'm not core enough right now, under either definition. (22hrs or 5). Ask me again after a game I care about is on the market.

besada

Banned
I guess I'm a "core" gamer, then. I do about an hour to an hour and a half a day. On non-Nintendo products.

Melchiah

I guess I'm not a core gamer then, as I often keep weeks, sometimes even a month, of gaming breaks if nothing of interest is released. Just now I've been on a break for two weeks. Although, when an interesting and lengthy game is released, I often play 5-7 hours per evening, for several days in a row.

The Llama

They did. The "core" gamer demographic is shrinking, according to NPD's definition. Along with the now obvious Nintendo exclusion, this is the most important take away from this data, if we take anything away at all.

Could be it that the demographic shrunk mostly/entirely due to Nintendo's exclusion?

Inclusion of sports games seems weird to me.

NPD's job is to give businesses useful information. If the people who make CoD wannabes or GTA wannabes feel that they have a decent shot at selling to intense madden fans, it's in everybody's best interest to count them.

The stereotypical fifa/madden/etc player in Gaf's imagination is somebody who really likes the sport and buys the game mainly out of love for the sport but shelves it quickly, or resells it to rot in bargain bin hell when the next year's game comes out.

This is probably not true, because the people who do this are probably excluded by the criteria's time-commitment metric.

ec0ec0

ahaha... wait:

someone that plays league of legends = "core gamer"

siglemic = "casual"

??

(just an example ;P)

mantidor

I actually don't even think Nintendo's exclusion is that crazy. Nintendo has no core appeal. They have the two farthest ends of the spectrum, casuals and enthusiasts, but no core appeal at all aside from like, Zelda. All they make is either too casual for core gamers (Kirby, Mario) or too hardcore (Wonderful 101, Pikmin). Using them as a metric to measure core gamers would be almost useless.

The 3DS was the best selling platform last year. Even if numbers are dwindling they are far from "niche", Nintendo's and handhelds exclusion make no sense.

5 hours a week actually seems like a pretty reasonable cutoff. I'd consider myself a "Core" game I guess, but I've been so busy lately I haven't been hitting that mark, and I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of games

I don't know if I spend 5 hours playing games every week, but I sure spend at least that much time talking about them on the internet. Does that count?

ahaha... wait:

someone that plays league of legend = "core gamer"

siglemic = "casual"

??

(just an example ;P)

Just because you're not a core gamer doesnt make you a casual gamer.

Siglemic, and other people who dedicate that much time to the hobby, are an enthusiast niche that is almost entirely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Guri

I don't believe in restrictions of platforms, games or genres that could define core gamers. If you play a game supposedly developed for casual gamers, but want to collect everything, reach max levels and play that for, say 5 hours a week, I still think those people could fit into a core audience.

Cess007

I wonder how much that number would go up if they included Nintendo platforms.

zhorkat

Could be it that the demographic shrunk mostly/entirely due to Nintendo's exclusion?

In March of 2013, NPD released this report which states that there were 37.5 million core gamers in the U.S. This is the definition of core gamer that they used:
In order to qualify as a core gamer, respondents had to currently play Action, Adventure, Fighting, Flight, Massively Multi-Player, Racing, Real Time Strategy, Role-Playing, Shooter, or Sport games on a PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC or a Mac, and spend 5 hours or more per week gaming on any of these qualified devices.

Tigress

Ok, as a Mac user (it's one of the reasons I game on consoles ;) ), I find it amusing that Mac is included in the definition but not Nintendo.

Honestly, sadly enough, I bet anything that they just simply forgot about Nintendo than purposely excluded them (either way that's pretty sad for Nintendo. Actually, that's worse for Nintendo cause it really shows how irrelevant they've become when a company trying to define your usual gamer simply forgets they exist when they are the only company that is dedicated to gaming of the ones listed. And one of those companies was dead set against their computer being a game machine *cough* Mac/Steve Jobs *cough*).

Zalman

I don't know if I spend 5 hours playing games every week, but I sure spend at least that much time talking about them on the internet. Does that count?
See, that's the thing.

Personally I think "core gamers" shouldn't be defined by how much they play, but instead how much they know about the world of gaming. People who can name who the developer of a specific game is. People who can sum up the gaming news of the week. People who talk about gaming on the internet every day. THOSE people I would call "core gamers" regardless of how much they play.

I'm actually not sure if that's an unpopular opinion. It probably is. I just don't see someone who only plays COD and the occassional EA sports game every now and then as a "core gamer" if he doesn't know much about what's happening in the industry.

mantidor

I kind of get to a point the exclusion of Nintendo since NPD is about sales and the Wii U tanked, but that completely disregards the Wii, and the really weird thing of it all is the handheld exclusion.

Duster

Platformers are my favourite genre, I do most of my gaming on a vita (where I mostly play the platformer Spelunky), I also play Nintendo systems, I don't play on Microsoft consoles or PCs/Mac at all, I don't usually reach 5 hours a week on my PS3 and it's extremely rare I play for 22 hours a week.

I'm either the lowliest casual or have ascended beyond being a mere "core gamer" to a become a higher being.

The Llama

See, that's the thing.

Personally I think "core gamers" shouldn't be defined by how much they play, but instead how much they know about the world of gaming. People who can name who the developer of a specific game is. People who can sum up the gaming news of the week. People who talk about gaming on the internet every day. THOSE people I would call "core gamers" regardless of how much they play.

I'm actually not sure if that's an unpopular opinion. It probably is. I just don't see someone who only plays COD and the occassional EA sports game every now and then as a "core gamer" if he doesn't know much about what's happening in the industry.

Nah, I'm sorry but thats silly. Maybe if you want to define who is a "hardcore gamer" for your own purposes thats ok, but for what NPD is trying to achieve with their definition, that'd be silly.

See, that's the thing.

I prefer to avoid the term altogether, but I don't think a knowledge of the industry should have anything to do with it. I'd call that a videogame industry enthusiast, of which there are many here.

Bizazedo

Nah, I'm sorry but thats silly. Maybe if you want to define who is a "hardcore gamer" for your own purposes thats ok, but for what NPD is trying to achieve with their definition, that'd be silly.

Yeah, what Llama said. The thing some of you are forgetting is that this is for business purposes. They're trying to identify and number a market of consumers.

As some of you are very well aware, a lot of the Nintendo fans don't exactly consume third party products voraciously, nor does Nintendo itself exactly court them. The more I think about it, the more and more their definition makes sense for their purposes.

Top Bottom