• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD shares their definition of "core gamers", estimates 34 million in the US

Tigress

Yeah, what Llama said. The thing some of you are forgetting is that this is for business purposes. They're trying to identify and number a market of consumers.

As some of you are very well aware, a lot of the Nintendo fans don't exactly consume third party products voraciously, nor does Nintendo itself exactly court them. The more I think about it, the more and more their definition makes sense for their purposes.

Yeah, but why include Mac then? Mac doesn't really court games either. In fact I would argue that if Mac even attempts now to court games it's only cause Apple was forced in spite of themselves to see gaming could be lucrative through the iphone. And I'd still argue they don't (the OS is not very friendly towards it. There's a reason there is a saying that if you want to game on a Mac, install Windows. Mac versions of games in general need a lot higher requirements cause the OS is not designed well for what game developers need).

Hell, at one point in Mac's history Steve Jobs outright snubbed games and said he didn't want them on his computer cause he didn't want that kind of reputation for the computer (he wanted it to be seen as a productive machine).

I know I missed out on a lot of games cause I had a Mac growing up (I only figured it was cause Macs weren't as popular, I had no idea that it was outright hostile towards games). I loved any developer though that would make games for it. I was very happy about one that actually decided to target Macs (I noticed they eventually caved and started doing PC games).

If Nintendo doesn't care about third parties and that is why they are excluded, mac should be too cause Apple doesn't even care about gaming period on Macs. Hell, even most mac fanatics will tell you to install windows to play on a Mac. They're not good gaming machines at all (and I say this as some one who has a mac and prefers them herself, but considers that the one downside).

donny2112

Is this a good thing for Nintendo, like the old schtick about Aliens: Colonial Marines Wii U being the definitive version? Is there anything good about Nintendo being excluded from NPD's definition of core gamers?

It's probably just an oversight in the text and Nintendo console/handheld users were included in that estimate.

As some of you are very well aware, a lot of the Nintendo fans don't exactly consume third party products voraciously, nor does Nintendo itself exactly court them. The more I think about it, the more and more their definition makes sense for their purposes.

It's hard to consume third party products on Nintendo systems because they just don't exist. It kind of makes sense in a weird way that the industry has written Nintendo out of the definition because they just have no interest in ever supporting Nintendo platforms with core games. They don't even want to measure the audience that they're missing out on.

JCX

I feel like by "Core" they meant "GTACoD"

Understand what they mean by defining this group, just funny that if you play AC4 for 5 hours on PS4 you're core, but if I play AC4 for 10 hours on Wii U, you're non-core

Interesting results nonetheless.

Toad.T

Banned
Welp, apparently I don't exist, according to that list. I hope you all enjoyed your bout with schizophrenia!

Or am I an enthusiast? Effing hell, I hate labels.

As someone who currently only has a Wii U and 3DS as his current gen systems, I guess I don't count.

Good bye forever, GAF. I'm going to post on Oprah's forums or something.

Oprah does have a forum, right?

KePoW

Banned
Why is that sad.

I play games on my phone in the bathroom/lunch/train/whenever. Why wouldn't you?

I would consider myself a hardcore gamer... usually over 40 hours a week. But I never play any games on my phone, because I don't find them fun whatsoever.

I do browse forum websites on my phone all the time, but I think mobile games suck.

Blearth

Banned
The real sad news is that apparently two thirds of all core gamers play mobile games.

Do you go out of your way to avoid them?

That's weird.

I would consider myself a hardcore gamer... usually over 40 hours a week. But I never play any games on my phone, because I don't find them fun whatsoever.

I do browse forum websites on my phone all the time, but I think mobile games suck.

Really? Every single one sucks?

Really hxc on that mac, what's your KD brah?

Anyways I wouldn't look into this much. Y'know whats core from a marketing standpoint? Whales.

doesn't have much to do with credibility regarding how big your dick is, morseo how much you spend, and how much time you waste/invest into the medium.

TSM

A lot of people seem upset they fall outside of the demographic most of the industry aims at. This isn't a challenge to people's gamer cred as much as it's pointing out that the industry itself has a definition that may diverge from gamers themselves.

KePoW

Banned
Really? Every single one sucks?

Yes, every single one that I have personally tried, I have not enjoyed. That is fact.

I assume you realize that I have not tried every mobile game in existence, so I was clearly talking about my own experiences.

A lot of people seem upset they fall outside of the demographic most of the industry aims at. This isn't a challenge to people's gamer cred as much as it's pointing out that the industry itself has a definition that may diverge from gamers themselves.

I think it's more a problem with the fact that "core gamer" doesn't really mean anything. It's a term that people who feel passionate about videogames use to describe themselves, and NPD has drawn some pretty arbitrary lines as to who "counts."

People in this thread are trying to rationalize it by assuming definitions for "core" that would rationally not include Nintendo, but the definition NPD offered was very specific and very specifically arbitrary.

zebaz08

I can't even play a couple of hours weekly (I actually spend more time on GAF than gaming lol ) since classes at university started , I'm not a core gamer anymore :(

TSM

I think it's more a problem with the fact that "core gamer" doesn't really mean anything. It's a term that people who feel passionate about videogames use to describe themselves, and NPD has drawn some pretty arbitrary lines as to who "counts."

People in this thread are trying to rationalize it by assuming definitions for "core" that would rationally not include Nintendo, but the definition NPD offered was very specific and very specifically arbitrary.

I'd imagine their definition fits the perception the majority of the gaming industry has. NPD exists to serve businesses. The fact that many gamers find NPD's information interesting enough to read and discuss is a secondary concern. Instead of realizing that all this description does is shine some light on the inner workings of the industry many people are taking it as some sort of personal affront.

Cosmozone

2/3 ALSO play mobile. Not only mobile. I almost got tripped up on that myself.
Now that would be the real nightmare, lol. But seriously, publishers developing for smart devices are not after traditional gamers but are hoping to get their stuff going viral with the masses. I'd prefer a different focus for their resources.

I'd imagine their definition fits the perception the majority of the gaming industry has. NPD exists to serve businesses. The fact that many gamers find NPD's information interesting enough to read and discuss is a secondary concern. Instead of realizing that all this description does is shine some light on the inner workings of the industry many people are taking it as some sort of personal affront.

Well, we can imagine and rationalize, but the actual "definition" they gave co-opted a term that many people identify with and arbitrarily excluded some of those people without any explanation or rationalization.

It's like if an organization gave a definition of Asian that read: "People of Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Thai, Indian, or Filipino descent."

Can you think of other people who probably consider themselves Asian that have been arbitrarily left out of this "definition"? I can.

KePoW

Banned
Well, we can imagine and rationalize, but the actual "definition" they gave co-opted a term that many people identify with and arbitrarily excluded some of those people without any explanation or rationalization.

It's like if an organization gave a definition of Asian that read: "People of Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Thai, Indian, or Filipino descent."

Can you think of other people who probably consider themselves Asian that have been arbitrarily left out of this "definition"? I can.

Korean

But other than that, not any other major ones

Well, seeing as pretty much everyone who buys a Wii U has to be a core gamer, it seems Nintendo aren't doing too shabby then all considering (since the lion's share of those 34 million will be comprised of last-gen owners).

Let's say 30 million of those 34 are last-gen players, which leaves Wii U with the largest core game player base out of current-gen.

tbhysgb

I don't play often enough consistently to fit their mold. But I sure as hell have spent a lot of money......still do.

So we're likely around 12M Next-gen systems now give or take a million units

Assuming NPD estimation of the core is even remotely accurate, the belief that some hold that only core gamers are buying into next-gen at present would represent a third or so of core being early adopters and buying a new system within the first 6 months of its release

I guess that's not too out there but I imagine we're transitioning into sales between both hardcore gamers and softcore, maybe even some casuals who are after a prettier Fifa or Madden

Yaoibot

Wait people think this is high?

On average I'm close to double that a week.

44h a week? 6.25 hours *approximately* a day? That's not a hobby, its a secondary vocation. Seems like a lot, but I have no idea about your time-management or other priorities.

Top Bottom