• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

dr_rus

Always is a bit of an overstatement, 970 launched with aftermarket coolers available day 1.

That was a bit of an outlier. This being said there's nothing precluding AIBs from just sticking their 980 coolers on 1080 - the chip/memory placements are compatible, the only question is if the power circuitry will be covered well enough by 980 coolers. So it's still possible that we'll see some AIB versions on launch day or at least pretty soon after it.

Durante

If you ask me, dropping 3- and 4-way SLI support is actually a surprisingly consumer-friendly move.

In 99% of real-world cases, it has been a terrible idea for a long time now, if not always. Still, it allowed NV to sell one or 2 additional GPUs to insane people, and they are giving that up.

It's an early adopter tax, nothing more nothing less.

It is if you are so unbelievably impatient that you can't wait another few weeks. The fact they intend on leaving the card at this price and to continue to sell it through the life cycle says something else.

Yup, right now it seems like that's your only choice from both Nvidia and 3rd parties for a month or so.

Im still not even sure if the non FE cards will even come close to the 599 MSRP

The plastic blower we saw from Zotac is probably 599. Or i'd hope so.

riflen

If you ask me, dropping 3- and 4-way SLI support is actually a surprisingly consumer-friendly move.

In 99% of real-world cases, it has been a terrible idea for a long time now, if not always. Still, it allowed NV to sell one or 2 additional GPUs to insane people, and they are giving that up.

Yes. "support" was always pretty awful. It's going to be interesting to see where mGPU goes in the next few years. RTG are doubling down on it according to Raja Koduri. They're working now on getting the software and support in place so that developers can use it as easily as possible. Citing cost concerns with regards to the manufacturing of big GPUs on these new processes. Everyone's track record on mGPU is not great imo, so who the hell knows what will happen.

So the 1080GTX msrp is $599 and the Founders edition is $699. $100 more for the premium materials/cooling solution.

The 1070GTX msrp is $380 and the Founders edition is $450. $70 more for premium materials/cooling solution...

So the 1080GTX msrp is $599 and the Founders edition is $699. $100 more for the premium materials/cooling solution.

The 1070GTX msrp is $380 and the Founders edition is $450. $70 more for premium materials/cooling solution...

It's not for the "premium materials/cooling solution".

Onemic

Founders edition is just a reference card. It's essentially early adopters tax since you wont be able to buy non FE cards at launch.

badb0y

OpTQns4.png
"Premium Cooling" as it chokes itself back to 1600~ for half of the gaming session.

Than the ones they would've used if they didn't have to justify the extra $100

I mean, did they use to market their cards as having subpar materials for past launches? I just don't know how we could possibly know the quality of materials they would have used otherwise and I think no mater what they used they would still call it premium.

Knurek

Kind of my point. They should make the msrp on the 1070 $350 to at least make it seem legit.

This is all an experiment to see how much they can gouge of people conditioned by pretty much everyone for the last year to expect Pascal to be the savior of mankind.
If AMD starts kicking their asses again, they will just lower the price on the cards to a slightly less absurd level.

Given that NVIDIA stopped manufacturing Maxwell chips already, you also can't expect 9xx cards to drop in price, so either way you're fucked.

Adry9

I mean, did they use to market their cards as having subpar materials for past launches? I just don't know how we could possibly know the quality of materials they would have used otherwise.

Forget about the materials to be honest, it's just their PR answer to try to justify the extra $100. Nvidia knows the performance jump is bigger this generation and they are trying to stealth-increase the price of their GPU.

Durante

From a pure game perspective, what would we get out of this FastSynch tech? I mean I already got tripple buffering in my games.
How have you got triple buffering in your games? It's almost impossible to get real triple buffering in any modern game in fullscreen mode. (It's very easy to get something many people call "triple buffering", but which is in fact a 3 buffer queue)

Believe me, I've tried.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Pending any groundbreaking AMD announcements, I think I've come around to picking up two GTX 1070s.

If I'm running a 4790k with 32GB DDR3, 3 hard drives and 5 systems fans, will a 750watt Corsair PSU cut it?

This is all an experiment to see how much they can gouge of people conditioned by pretty much everyone for the last year to expect Pascal to be the savior of mankind.
If AMD starts kicking their asses again, they will just lower the price on the cards to a slightly less absurd level.

Given that NVIDIA stopped manufacturing Maxwell chips already, you also can't expect 9xx cards to drop in price, so either way you're fucked.

I'm already looking at Polaris, but everything points towards 390/390X power levels. If that's at $300 forget it. If they come in at $250 or less I'm tempted.

Terrorblot

Alright. So I know it's a fairly bad idea to try and day 1 purchase the 1080, but I'm just going to do it anyway because I got sizeable tax refund and I have poor impulse control (Also I just built a brand new computer and the damn thing still has my old Radeon 7850 in it).

Is there a website we can watch for Day 1 purchase? I've never attempted to get anything Day 1. Will Newegg / Amazon be selling them or should I be sitting on Nvidia / EVGAs website or something?

From a pure game perspective, what would we get out of this FastSynch tech? I mean I already got tripple buffering in my games.

Game logic can still run extremely fast and you get the latest available frame from the game logic right before the vblank occurs and the frame buffer is sent to the display. There's still a slight bit of lag but only a minimal amount over the vsync off (and no tearing). The game logic will still run as fast as it can issue frames.

If you have Vsync on the game logic is synced to the frame rate. So by the time you move a mouse and work through the buffers you end up with nearly 100ms latency.

xboxster

Might be time to upgrade from a GTX 660.

Would the 1070 or 1080 be good with my Core i7-4770k? Could I finally start taking games like Rise of the Tomb Raider off of minimum settings?

Thanks for the video. Nice explanation. But it seems like FastSync is Pascal only. Usually Nvidia introduces new features to older architectures as well but that doesn't seem to be the case here. But I'm mostly likely buying a GTX1070 anyway...

They said it would be broad support. It's a driver thing not a hardware thing.

holygeesus

Banned
Results for the hack job GTX 1080 Hybrid by GamerNexus are in if somebody cares: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-3fi1ovAP0

Looks promising to say the least! dat premium 100$ cooling in full force
Y80KrA9.png

That's a great vid. Kinda surprising how the overclock translates into little real world difference though, in terms of frame rates.

Did he state at what temperature the thermal throttling takes place at? Was it 83c? Is that a general ceiling for all of Nvidia's recent cards, as I seem to recall the 980ti chokes at that temp also?

I wonder when we will get the FastSync triple buffering driver. I'd like to play around with that.

Wait, holy crap, this is a thing? I clearly haven't been playing close enough attention to the news.

Game changer if this actually works. I was planning to switch to AMD for my next GPU, but not if nVidia offers an easy way to get real triple buffering working.

Pending any groundbreaking AMD announcements, I think I've come around to picking up two GTX 1070s.

If I'm running a 4790k with 32GB DDR3, 3 hard drives and 5 systems fans, will a 750watt Corsair PSU cut it?

Probably.

Would the 1070 or 1080 be good with my Core i7-4770k? Could I finally start taking games like Rise of the Tomb Raider off of minimum settings?

What's your budget? The answer to your questions is yes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

heh yeah that upgrade (either one) would blow your mind apart

Weevilone

So if I'm reading all the reviews correctly, the Founders cooling is fine for the reference clock and boost. But if you want to overclock, or have a factory overclock then you need the custom jobs in June+.

Initially I thought the GamersNexus review was choking the card easily, but then noticed that they had blocked all the case intake fans and run a rigorous game.

Of course then there's the matter of the extra $100.. but I haven't overclocked a video card in at least a decade. I think the last pair of factory overclocked cards I had.. one artifacted and took weeks to replace. Just not worth the hassles to me.. but damn that extra EA tax. Edit: I sometimes run SLI, then pass the cards to the kids' PC and my HTPC when I upgrade, so the reference cards are better suited for that progression.

Yes. Either card will smoke your 660 and will absolutely allow you to play games on high settings. If you're gaming at 1080p, the 1070 will be a fantastic fit.

So if I'm reading all the reviews correctly, the Founders cooling is fine for the reference clock and boost. But if you want to overclock, or have a factory overclock then you need the custom jobs in June+.

The FE features the same reference blower design NV has been using for years. It's good for two scenarios: a small case with airflow problems, and/or if you want to SLI on air. If you want to overclock or want a factory OC, wait for AIB designs with better cooling and options for more voltage.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Are preorders really starting to tomorrow? Maybe midnight tonight?

nubbe

I don't think the reference cooler has ever been able to handle the boost more than a few minutes
Just long enough to give a good benchmark score

Vuze

Initially I thought the GamersNexus review was choking the card easily, but then noticed that they had blocked all the case intake fans and run a rigorous game.

Of course then there's the matter of the extra $100.. but I haven't overclocked a video card in at least a decade. I think the last pair of factory overclocked cards I had.. one artifacted and took weeks to replace. Just not worth the hassles to me.. but damn that extra EA tax. Edit: I sometimes run SLI, then pass the cards to the kids' PC and my HTPC when I upgrade, so the reference cards are better suited for that progression.
Not really, throttling at boost speeds is a fairly consistent phenomenen across all few reviews I've checked.

xboxster

Yes. Either card will smoke your 660 and will absolutely allow you to play games on high settings. If you're gaming at 1080p, the 1070 will be a fantastic fit.

I have it hooked up to my 50 inch TV, so 1080p is the limit right now. At that resolution, would there be any reason for a 1080? Any benefit in emulators like Dolphin?

holygeesus

Banned
I don't think the reference cooler has ever been able to handle the boost more than a few minutes
Just long enough to give a good benchmark score

It seems that even at stock speeds you will need to be applying an aggressive custom fan profile to keep the temperatures out of the 80c range.

I have it hooked up to my 50 inch TV, so 1080p is the limit right now. At that resolution, would there be any reason for a 1080? Any benefit in emulators like Dolphin?

Not real knowledgeable on Dolphin- I'll let someone else speak to that. I would expect a 1070 to allow you to max (or very near max) most modern games out at 1080p/60 for a good while.

Downsampling, VR, more likely to play the latest games at 1080p max settings. Don't know why people keep saying the 1080 is overkill for 1080p, the graphics in AAA games isn't going to just stay the same forever.

That's a good point about the option for downsampling. Not sure I totally agree on the second point, though. The 1080 would stay relevant for a little longer than the 1070 will, but I'm not sure that it will buy you enough time to justify the price difference. By the time a 1070 is showing its age, a 1080 won't be far behind.

hohoXD123

Downsampling, VR, more likely to play the latest games at 1080p max settings. Don't know why people keep saying the 1080 is overkill for 1080p, the graphics in AAA games isn't going to just stay the same forever.

Top Bottom