• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

samar11

Looks like the 1080 is going to be a killer card for a 144hz G-Sync setup running at 1080p. Looks like it will easily push well over 60 FPS in even some of the most stressful games with everything maxed out.

Can you explain what 144hz mean and what is G-Sync ? lol

LCGeek

formerly sane
Project Cars VR wrecks a 1080. Prob CPU limited, either way I'm sad

http://www.roadtovr.com/nvidia-gtx-...performance-head-to-head-against-the-980ti/3/

PCars-NoAA-FPS.jpg

With the amount of cars and physics going on, I can easily agree to that.

x3sphere

Bummer :( Does look like it's CPU limited. Project Cars was one of the games I was hoping to see gains in if I stepped up to a 1080 from my 980 Ti...

Appleman

Anybody know when preorders start for the founders edition card? Anandtech mentioned this Friday, but I can't find that source anywhere or any information on what time they might start...

I'm on the fritz! I want to wait for the Ti version but I don't see myself gaming more than 1440p for a long time. Either way, I don't have the monies to get it yet.

Is your 970 struggling right now? If you are into vr the 1070. Probably the 1070 in any case but we need some more benchmarks first.

It's struggling a bit because I bought a 4k monitor lol

I can run WoW at ultra with a few things turned down at 60fps and the Overwatch beta went pretty well, but obviously I'm only able to run other newer games at medium settings.

I think it's worth checking out the 1070 reviews for sure.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I want to jump on the 1080 bandwagon - but i'm scared of the potential cost to Australian PC Gamers...

USD$599 is currently ~AUD$832, so I'm guessing $949 will be the RRP sans FE Tax. You could save around $100 by importing one from Amazon.

So, what's up with the card dropping in speed once it hits its thermal limit? I read about in on Tom's Hardware. I haven't checked the other reviews yet. This caught my eye and very concerning.

Hawk269

So, what's up with the card dropping in speed once it hits its thermal limit? I read about in on Tom's Hardware. I haven't checked the other reviews yet. This caught my eye and very concerning.

Most cards do this. Throttling as it hits the thermal limits is normal on GPU's for a while. It is basically protecting itself. Depending on what review you read about the card, some used different fan profiles to keep heat in check and minimize the throttling the card does when approaching/hitting it's thermal limit.

Most cards do this. Throttling as it hits the thermal limits is normal on GPU's for a while. It is basically protecting itself. Depending on what review you read about the card, some used different fan profiles to keep heat in check and minimize the throttling the card does when approaching/hitting it's thermal limit.

I've been hearing it happens after 10 minutes of gaming though. I don't recall that many GPUs doing that after just 10 minutes. It's more of a curiosity for me. I not buying high end cards. I'll probably be looking at the GTX 1060 or something along those lines.

USD$599 is currently ~AUD$832, so I'm guessing $949 will be the RRP sans FE Tax. You could save around $100 by importing one from Amazon.

Had no complaints with Amazon service in Australia. Would recommend it as a way to save dosh. I've had 970 and 980ti both from amazon here.

Hawk269

I've been hearing it happens after 10 minutes of gaming though. I don't recall that many GPUs doing that after just 10 minutes. It's more of a curiosity for me. I not buying high end cards. I'll probably be looking at the GTX 1060 or something along those lines.

Again, it depends on what fan profile they are running and what clocks they are trying to push. I have seen cards throttle after a few minutes depending on what clock they are trying to push. Once a card hits a thermal limit it will throttle, this can happen very quickly depending on how much voltage and clocks they are applying.

Now if this is doing it after 10min on stock voltage and stock clocks that would be kind of odd unless they have a poor fan profile. On a lot of the reviews I have read, this has not been a big issue.

Did you have to deal with any warranty issues? How much was postage? How much cheaper is it?
I really want a 1080 but I'm not paying $1200 for a GPU.

Never needed to return it, however they did issue partial refunds because of the 3.5gb issue (20%). I also randomly asked the if they would retroactively honour the Ubisoft games deal to launch customers and they said "no but here, have another partial refund" (another 20%). Then when I sold it to an ausgaffer at a bit below second hand market value, I turned a profit on having owned the 970 for like a year lol.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did you have to deal with any warranty issues? How much was postage? How much cheaper is it?
I really want a 1080 but I'm not paying $1200 for a GPU.

Postage is actually comparable to purchasing one locally (Amazon's shipping prices don't scale well when buying multiple items, but that's going to be a non-issue in this case as even if you wanted to buy a little something extra, you're already brushing up against the $1k import tax threshold with the 1080 alone). I stick to EVGA as far as imports are concerned as it has a global warranty policy.

The Titan X usually throttled back to the base clocks within a few minutes. The cooler it shipped with was hilariously inadequate for it but because it was so powerful at the time compared to the 980 and few people even bought them that no one noticed or cared.

Hawk269

The Titan X usually throttled back to the base clocks within a few minutes. The cooler it shipped with was hilariously inadequate for it but because it was so powerful at the time compared to the 980 and few people even bought them that no one noticed or cared.

Yes, you are correct. The Titan X did throttle a lot quicker, although in my testing a very aggressive fan profile prevented this, but ultimately for me putting the Titan X under H20 was what I ended up doing, which resulted in being able to apply a more significant overclock without the worry of heat being an issue and no throttling. But yeah, my initial 1st week as I waited for the waterblock I had some throttling by trying to push a moderate OC with a slight voltage boost.

mulac

If I sell my 980 Strix that will part fund it then not so bad.

But yea, will look at the import side.

Never needed to return it, however they did issue partial refunds because of the 3.5gb issue (20%). I also randomly asked the if they would retroactively honour the Ubisoft games deal to launch customers and they said "no but here, have another partial refund" (another 20%). Then when I sold it to an ausgaffer at a bit below second hand market value, I turned a profit on having owned the 970 for like a year lol.

Postage is actually comparable to purchasing one locally (Amazon's shipping prices don't scale well when buying multiple items, but that's going to be a non-issue in this case as even if you wanted to buy a little something extra, you're already brushing up against the $1k import tax threshold with the 1080 alone). I stick to EVGA as far as imports are concerned as it has a global warranty policy.

Thanks guys. I just sold my 970 for $350, which I'd had from September 14'. So now it's time to wait I guess, and decide what to do about the 1080 vs 1070. These founders editions are really killing my hype though, it's just a needless money grab.

How do the evga cards usually stack up against the Gigabytes? I had a G1 and it was an amazing OC beast.

drotahorror

This been posted yet? Pardon me if it has.

NVIDIA on founders edition.

This was very, very hard to watch...

So basically the founders edition doesn't have any higher clocks than a reference one (founders is a reference card atleast from a clockspeed standpoint), it just offers higher quality materials.

Also from the sounds of it, 3rd party cards will be available starting May 27th but could depend on the manufacturer.

Founders is just e-peen shit basically.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Interesting on Project Cars VR. That is one of the titles I would've liked to crank with the 1080 and Vive.

If it's CPU limited though, then my 3770k stock probably won't cut it.

Any benches of Elite Horizons in VR on a 1080?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

The graph I saw posted here I think showed it dropping to base clocks only in furmark, not actual games, and it was when overclocked - at stock it should be fine. But then would you really be buying a 1080 and want to run it stock?

Interesting on Project Cars VR. That is one of the titles I would've liked to crank with the 1080 and Vive.

VR specific improvements will need devs (or engine developers) to adopt the VR specific features like the mult projection stuff. Otherwise any improvements will be in line with non-VR games.

Dmax3901

Never looked into this. Might do when it comes to buying a 1070, thanks guys :)

BigTnaples

The graph I saw posted here I think showed it dropping to base clocks only in furmark, not actual games, and it was when overclocked - at stock it should be fine. But then would you really be buying a 1080 and want to run it stock?

VR specific improvements will need devs (or engine developers) to adopt the VR specific features like the mult projection stuff. Otherwise any improvements will be in line with non-VR games.

True, still hard to gauge how many frames you can get. Most sites don't bench in stereo 3D either.

Just hoping I can crank some Supersampling on Elite and make it somewhat less of a garbled mess on Vive. And hopefully a patch comes along to fix the text issue..

Now if they actually patched in the VR simultaneous projection stuff, that would be amazing. But I don't see it happening with Elite any time soon, judging by how long it has taken them to fix the text issue.

Mrbob

So basically the founders edition doesn't have any higher clocks than a reference one (founders is a reference card atleast from a clockspeed standpoint), it just offers higher quality materials.

Also from the sounds of it, 3rd party cards will be available starting May 27th but could depend on the manufacturer.

Maybe? Evga Twitter is suggesting that they will only have founders edition cards in day one. Nvidia being totally sleezy if this happens.

Makareu

I'm waiting to see all the cards on the table before making any decisions about when to upgrade. If Polaris 10 or Vega are great values or performers, then I'm sure there will be price competition, and it will be a great time to snag one.

1080 doesn't seem worth it from a 970 right now. It's roughly double the performance at roughly double the launch price. The march of technology makes me want to wait until I can get more Performance per $.

1070 might be worth it if it's nipping at the heels of the 1080, but I suspect the relative gap will be bigger between 1070 and 1080 than 970 and 980.

970 was so close to the 980, it made the 980 almost irrelevant.

My thoughts exactly. I will be upgrading in the future, but right now I consider the 1080 price to be too high.

Reallink

My first assumption was it must be an artificial barrier for supply issues (be it poor yields or a rushed run up on production) to limit demand. Based on the shuckin and jivin of the Nvidia Executive Round Table, it's a test product to see if the market will bear a $700 mid-sized chip.

dr_rus

EDIT: Why are all the benchmarks for Witcher 3 done with SSAO?

Because some people have this strange idea that if you can disable an NV provided code part in a game for comparison you should. At the same time the same people have no quarrel using heavily AMD optimized renderers in other games (Hitman, AotS, QB, etc.) for the same comparisons. Makes no sense, especially since HBAO+ runs just fine on AMD h/w, but does skew the performance picture somewhat because it's hard to think of any NV user which won't use NV provided graphical enhancements and some of these enhancement actually do run better on GeForces than on Radeons.

Ozorov

Because some people have this strange idea that if you can disable an NV provided code part in a game for comparison you should. At the same time the same people have no quarrel using heavily AMD optimized renderers in other games (Hitman, AotS, QB, etc.) for the same comparisons. Makes no sense, especially since HBAO+ runs just fine on AMD h/w, but does skew the performance picture somewhat because it's hard to think of any NV user which won't use NV provided graphical enhancements and some of these enhancement actually do run better on GeForces than on Radeons.
You seems like a smart dude. Do you think AIB-cards Will have more then the 8-pin-connectors? And if so, how much difference Will that make?

CPU limited is becoming huge problem for those cards at 1080p

J-Rzez

My first assumption was it must be an artificial barrier for supply issues (be it poor yields or a rushed run up on production) to limit demand. Based on the shuckin and jivin of the Nvidia Executive Round Table, it's a test product to see if the market will bear a $700 mid-sized chip.

Yep. If people buy this up in droves, expect the Ti and Titan to jump exponentially in price. If only AMD was able to compete in all facets.

BigTnaples

We still need a very strong CPU just for the minimum 90fps. My 4690 won't cut it.

Won't cut it for what games?

I haven't run into any issues on my 3770k and 970 SLI setup yet. I could always use a bump in graphical settings, but that would widen the gap of leaning more on the GPU. (Super sampling, AA, etc)

dr_rus

You seems like a smart dude. Do you think AIB-cards Will have more then the 8-pin-connectors? And if so, how much difference Will that make?

Of course they will. As for the difference - I don't know, we need to wait and see how much OC headroom 1080 will gain from additional power supply and better cooling.

Helznicht

Won't cut it for what games?

I haven't run into any issues on my 3770k and 970 SLI setup yet. I could always use a bump in graphical settings, but that would widen the gap of leaning more on the GPU. (Super sampling, AA, etc)

Project Cars at least. And on the 1080, adding the highest level AA available is a 50% performance hit (~90>~45). If Nvidia adds SLI for 970s in VR via drivers. looks like you have little incentive to upgrade (for VR)

http://www.roadtovr.com/nvidia-gtx-...performance-head-to-head-against-the-980ti/3/

Durante

Project Cars at least. And on the 1080, adding the highest level AA available is a 50% performance hit (~90>~45). If Nvidia adds SLI for 970s in VR via drivers. looks like you have little incentive to upgrade (for VR)
A GPU manufacturer can't really add SLI support to a VR game from the driver. I mean they could, but the effort is likely prohibitive. It needs to come from the game/engine.

Top Bottom