• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
A GPU manufacturer can't really add SLI support to a VR game from the driver. I mean they could, but the effort is likely prohibitive. It needs to come from the game/engine.

Which is why I'm upgrading. 970s served me well, but with VR, I really just need a single card solution.

Also 4K Performence will improve as well.

Spookie

Just spoken to Scan.co.uk who said they haven't got stock yet and aren't sure if they will be able to offer pre orders! What a fucking mess ordering my Vive was less work than this.

Vuze

I picked up that Nvidia doesn't allow pre-orders and even pre-listings until release date on reddit (where some user had contacted a NL(?) shop).

dr_rus

How long will it usually take before the other brand start releasing cards with better cooling and overclocking?

A couple of weeks but the availability will depend on demand obviously. Good custom editions tend to be sold out for months after release.

Vargavinter

Rumors says 2nd week in June

According to rumors in 3-4 weeks.

Oh, thats good

A couple of weeks but the availability will depend on demand obviously. Good custom editions tend to be sold out for months after release.

True. I'm just about to build a new computer so I'm waiting for the other companies to drop their cards. I haven't been in the loop when it comes to hardware for a few years, which are the usual go-to companies? EVGA? Asus?

This been posted yet? Pardon me if it has.

NVIDIA on founders edition.

This was very, very hard to watch...

ada.jpg

Barzul

The questions were good but the delivery and attitude of some of the people weren't.

I don't know, this was a cash grab. Nvidia knows it, we know it and the reviewers know it. The presenter even accidentally called it reference and tried to pass it off as a joke. If they're going to do this they deserve to be called out on their BS and I can understand not being cool about it, remember this has been embargoed for days and for the guys asking the questions, this was still fresh.

The questions were good but the delivery and attitude of some of the people weren't.

Ah yes how RUDE to point out that the emperor's new clothes aren't real.

I'd take a lot more offense to the baldfaced bullshitting from marketing people and them expecting everyone to just smile and nod.

dr_rus

True. I'm just about to build a new computer so I'm waiting for the other companies to drop their cards. I haven't been in the loop when it comes to hardware for a few years, which are the usual go-to companies? EVGA? Asus?

For videocards? Depends on where you are mostly as the difference is usually in local return policies and support provided. Asus and Gigabyte are the top 2 obviously but MSI, EVGA, Zotac, Inno3D, Gainward/Palit all have interesting products as well usually.

When is the 1070 embargo lifting?

Reviewers haven't got the cards yet so there's no embargo date for now. Worst case it'll be 10th of June, when the FE 1070 cards should go on sale.

Adry9

Did those Nvidia guys even know what they were talking about? They're saying the Founder's Edition is THE reference design? I thought there were 2 reference designs, a standard edition and a more expensive Founder's Edition. Or is that wrong?

The FE is the reference design with """better thermals and materials"""

EDIT: I just got far enough into the video. They are actually NOT binned chips so there is no overclocking advantage there. I doubt their "better thermals" are going to compete with the partner coolers that typically do a way better job than the reference designs and will STILL wind up being cheaper than the Founder's Edition.

Why would anyone get this thing?

Won't cut it for what games?

I haven't run into any issues on my 3770k and 970 SLI setup yet. I could always use a bump in graphical settings, but that would widen the gap of leaning more on the GPU. (Super sampling, AA, etc)

TONS of games won't run at 90 fps on a 4690.

You'd seriously be surprised how demanding some games are for the cpu:

fallout 4 : boston

dark souls 3 (had to overlock to 4.4 ghz or dips below 60 would sometimes happen)

mgs5 : yes , metal gear solid 5! , the lighting and LOD settings put a huge load on the cpu and in several of the camps I easily dropped below 60 fps before overclocking, 90 fps it out of reach for mgs5 if the framerate was unlocked.

gta5 : go to the countryside and watch your cpu shit the bed

We really need better cpus, sadly intel have done nothing but 5-10 percent incremental improvements since 2011.

These guys really asked the uncomfortable questions. Good.

The fact that the partners are not getting their boards until the 27th is pretty damning. No we have the evidence to grab the pitchforks. Don't pay for a FE. It's exactly what he said in the end. We want to see if customers value our product at that price point.

EDIT: I just got far enough into the video. They are actually NOT binned chips so there is no overclocking advantage there. I doubt their "better thermals" are going to compete with the partner coolers that typically do a way better job than the reference designs and will STILL wind up being cheaper than the Founder's Edition.

Why would anyone get this thing?

Because they don't want to wait a few weeks more to get better cooled cards for lower prices. From what I can tell, nVidia is essentially banking on overhyped impatient gamers to buy their FE cards in drones when it launches on May 27th.

If their "Founders Edition" BS ends up being a success, you can bet your ass that this will be the norm from here on out with every future card.

Sadly, I think that this strategy will pan out for them and these cards will sell like crazy.

ISee

Be excited EU gaf, first 1080 is available for preorder through a shop in austria.

Just 1070€, that's a bit insane, hopefully it's just a placeholder price.
But I also remember 970 prices being about 50-70€ higher during the first couple of months after release.

mephixto

Banned
Because they don't want to wait a few weeks more to get better cooled cards for lower prices. From what I can tell, nVidia is essentially banking on overhyped impatient gamers to buy their FE cards in drones when it launches on May 27th.

If their "Founders Edition" BS ends up being a success, you can bet your ass that this will be the norm from here on out with every future card.

Sadly, I think that this strategy will pan out for them and these cards will sell like crazy.

Yeah FE is just pure marketing BS, hope people realize this and wait for the partners cards instead.

Nvidia fucked up the messaging on the FE cards so bad. To my eyes this card isn't any more impressive than their old reference designs. So did they eat the costs on their old reference cards? I'll admit these cards look better than my MSI with a chunky plastic shroud and two giant plastic fans, but I never see my GPU so just give something that performs at a fair price.

Nvidia fucked up the messaging on the FE cards so bad. To my eyes this card isn't any more impressive than their old reference designs. So did they eat the costs on their old reference cards? I'll admit these cards look better than my MSI with a chunky plastic shroud and two giant plastic fans, but I never see my GPU so just give something that performs at a fair price.

It's an early adopter tax, nothing more nothing less.

laxu

The FE is the reference design with """better thermals and materials"""

So in reality probably just a slightly better cooler, which still doesn't seem to have that impressive performance. Essentially in the video they seem to be having a hard time justifying it other than that it costs them too much to produce so they want to raise the price of the reference card.

Adry9

So in reality probably just a slightly better cooler, which still doesn't seem to have that impressive performance. Essentially in the video they seem to be having a hard time justifying it other than that it costs them too much to produce so they want to raise the price of the reference card.

What they wanted to say is "Early adopters are willing to pay more than the base price and we could use the money so let's use slightly better materials and jack up the price".

Wag

I'm curious how a 1080 2-3x SLI config will compare against my 980Ti 3x config in 4k?

Any numbers on this yet?

Onemic

Because from what I understand, I might be wrong, it'll be the only option out there for a while?

Yup, right now it seems like that's your only choice from both Nvidia and 3rd parties for a month or so.

Im still not even sure if the non FE cards will even come close to the 599 MSRP

Megabat

I actually don't understand the extent of irritation about the "Founders Edition" cards. Since the GeForce Titan reference cooler, people have gone out of their way to get the aluminum shroud. It surprises me that Nvidia is just now capitalizing on it.

Obviously, I agree that it sucks; it pushes back the release of custom boards.

MaDKaT

The wait is brutal. My 390 is just barely cutting it in PCars VR. Any ideas how long the lag generally is for water cooling options? Made a world of difference for temps(and noise) for my 390.

Because from what I understand, I might be wrong, it'll be the only option out there for a while?

Ok. See, I was under the impression that Nvidia would be selling a $600 standard version AND the $700 founder's edition at the same time. I am now realizing that the founder's edition IS the only reference design available from Nvidia and is $100 more expensive out of the gate.

Which is pretty fucking exploitative. They understand the early adopter's culture for their cards very well.

There's a possibility that we won't even see many $600 versions at all. EVGA usually puts out a bare-bones reference version though so there's that.

dr_rus

I actually don't understand the extent of irritation about the "Founders Edition" cards. Since the GeForce Titan reference cooler, people have gone out of their way to get the aluminum shroud. It surprises me that Nvidia is just now capitalizing on it.

Obviously, I agree that it sucks; it pushes back the release of custom boards.

How? Custom boards always come a couple of weeks after the initial reference boards on start of sales. It should be the same here.

What I'm worried though is that AIBs will have a reason to price their OC solutions even higher than what FE cards will cost. This is a real problem which I hope won't materialize.

Knurek

What I'm worried though is that AIBs will have a reason to price their OC solutions even higher than what FE cards will cost. This is a real problem which I hope won't materialize.

Unless there's some price fixing scheme going on (which is definitely illegal), the minute one AIB will price their card at MSRP+logical markup is the minute they gain market domination.

Jin

I'm curious how a 1080 2-3x SLI config will compare against my 980Ti 3x config in 4k?

Any numbers on this yet?

Reviews only receive one card unfortunately so we're going to have to way until release to get SLI numbers. Currently the 1080 only support 2 way SLI. You have to go through some hoops to unlock 3-4 way SLI. Something about getting a Enthusiast Key.

Pcper

For this class of user we have developed an Enthusiast Key that can be downloaded off of NVIDIA’s website and loaded into an individual’s GPU. This process involves:

1.Run an app locally to generate a signature for your GPU

2.Request an Enthusiast Key from an upcoming NVIDIA Enthusiast Key website

3.Download your key

4.Install your key to unlock the 3 and 4-way function

From the Nvidia interview it sounds like they are dropping support for 3-4 SLI in the future due to too many problems.

thefil

Looks like it's safe to assume getting one of these would triple my frames compared to my 660 Ti? And yet I'm still satisfied with the performance I'm getting out of that card.

1060 Ti or 1160 Ti will probably be my next card.

Top Bottom