• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Gamer - Dishonored 2 1st Contact Tech Analysis (PS4 and PS4 Pro)

Source - Video

Said that the game is "not finnished" due to the bugs, glitches and technical problems he encountered.

PS4 and PS4 Pro run at 1080p with a 30 fps cap. Features no graphical improvements on the PS4 Pro, claims it is a "barebones update".

Heavy frame-rate dips down to 18 fps on the PS4 and 24-25 fps on the PS4 Pro.

This he noticed:

Slow loading textures
Numerous bugs and glitches
High input lag

ron_bato

Just gave it a watch. Ps4 pro performs better, but nothing special in terms of visual enhancements (in fact, iirc there are none?)

Anyway, this game looks like it has its fair share of problems, and looks to have the most bare bones pro implementation out of all the titles out there.

Necro900

So basically we have unacceptable performance on base PS4 and less than acceptable performance on PS Pro..

Polygon redeemed?

seph1roth

Now i understand the new Bethesda policy about not giving review copies before the launch date.

They definetively have said "fuck it" to the testing of their games, this is unacceptable, i love the game (it's a big improvement compared to the first game), but launch a game with this issues is a symptom of 0 investment on testing.

Something happened during the development of this game and it went from being a Ubisoft rising star to sneaking it out the back door.

Elios83

The game looks incredibly clean on the Pro, it's rare to find a standard PS4 game so clean. Are they sure that they're not using at least a better AA? Otherwise it's a great achievement for the standard PS4.

The game looks incredibly clean on the Pro, it's rare to find a standard PS4 game so clean. Are they sure that they're not using at least a better AA? Otherwise it's a great achievement for the standard PS4.

Yeah, I'm surprised.

It looks to be higher res than 1080p on Pro, or they have amazing AA. Time for a second opinion.

leng jai

Yeah I said from day one when I got it that you could mistake the Pro version as being the "base" PS4. I mean it looked like a PS4 version with decent AA basically. I stopped playing waiting fora patch because the game was just rough in basically every aspect.

I got the impression with the Xbox One version that it might be dynamic resolution, seems unlikely with this info but frame rate there seemed stable and it's much more blurry in demanding open areas than inside closed areas.

Yeah I said from day one when I got it that you could mistake the Pro version as being the "base" PS4. I mean it looked like a PS4 version with decent AA basically. I stopped playing waiting fora patch because the game was just rough in basically every aspect.

What's rough? I've played the Pro version for many hours now, but I just don't see rough, well, anywhere.

NXGamer

I got the impression with the Xbox One version that it might be dynamic resolution, seems unlikely with this info but frame rate there seemed stable and it's much more blurry in demanding open areas than inside closed areas.
The Taa is quite agressive again here and hides noise very well. It may run a dynamic solution as this always needs more time to cover and this was just a first contact look.

The Pro benefits are miniscule which in itself is not a huge issue if it resolved more than just the tearing or Iq boost. Maybe another patch is being worked on that boost it further. I will cover more in a further analysis.

Thanks the thread OP. The "claimed" quotes make it sound like a court case though..😉

Elios83

I thought that Dishonored 2 was supersampled on a 1080p TV.
Image is very very clean. I don't know if the NX analysis is true.

Yes indeed on my TV it looks so clean, zero jaggies, zero texture shimmering even in the distance that it's hard to believe that it's standard 1080p with PS4 level AA.
I'll try to hook my old PS4 later to see if I can notice a difference, I'm curious.

Peterthumpa

This can't be right. Same resolution on the Pro? I don't believe it.
I mean, the TAA on PC should be in theory the same thing, and I can definitely see jaggies with it enabled at 1080p. Not so much on the Pro.

leng jai

What's rough? I've played the Pro version for many hours now, but I just don't see rough, well, anywhere.

There's jaggies, shimmering and artifacting quite clearly. The game feels heavy like there's input lag and the sound mixing is off. I wouldn't be surprised if it had some form of downsampling but it's nothing special. It's not even in the same stratosphere of IQ compared to CoD or Titanfall and they are 60fps.

PS4 and PS4 Pro run at 1080p with a 30 fps cap. Features no graphical improvements on the PS4 Pro,

Heavy frame-rate dips down to 18 fps on the PS4 and 24-25 fps on the PS4 Pro.

This he noticed:

Slow loading textures
Numerous bugs and glitches
High input lag

What is the purpose of the PS4 PRO version then? I didn't get it.

dyergram

Art direction is amazing there's no noticeable slowdown for me and virtually no jaggies. Also very short loading times.

What is the purpose of the PS4 PRO version then? I didn't get it.

It looks kind of bad coming from UC4 and Tomb Raider, but it does look pretty damn clean so I'm not sold on this assessment personally. But hey, we'll find out soon enough!

Something happened during the development of this game and it went from being a Ubisoft rising star to sneaking it out the back door.

What was the last Ubisoft game with a meta score currently at Dishonored 2 level?

That's not a dig at Ubi by the way, I have nothing against them.

There's no screen tearing on the Pro according to NXGamer. I didn't notice anything either, I'm on the third mission.

I have put the game away until it receives further patches. The low FOV and horrible input lag is needs to be fixed.

Crispy

Wasn't the first game one the most optimized games ever? At least on PC? I remember it running great on my old laptop which couldn't even decently play Witcher 2.

KORNdoggy

i find turning the "friction" option down to 0 mitigates the input lag
and i find the performance issues only raise their head during cut-scenes (taking the boat to the mission area etc) the game itself has been running fine for me so far. but i am playing 100% ghost, on very hard with no powers...so things are slower paced... so maybe it's not a "usual" situation.

Then who we must to blame?

You can also ask why the patches are what they are instead of flat out calling devs lazy. These people barely see their family. Maybe there is little time, not budget, maybe it's harder than we think. Ask the devs before calling them lazy.

madmackem

What the fuck?! No, they didn't shit it out at all, have you fucking played it? Every inch of the game and the world in which it's set drips with carefully crafted love.
It's got issues on every platform, people reporting bugs etc, and the pro mode isn't a pro mode at all 5fps difference for gods sake.

jmga

All those complains about the PC version and in the end the console version(including PS4 Pro) is far worse.

Xater

I am more shocked that some outlets are still handing out dream scores for what appears messy on a technical level.

All those complains about the PC version and in the end the console version(including PS4 Pro) is far worse.

People should start to understand that complains about the PC version aren't the same as complains about the console versions. People complain when they can't run their game at max and 60fps or when they have too much variable framerate. But it doesn't mean it's better on console. In worst case scenario, barring some big exceptions, you get the same experience.

There's jaggies, shimmering and artifacting quite clearly. The game feels heavy like there's input lag and the sound mixing is off. I wouldn't be surprised if it had some form of downsampling but it's nothing special. It's not even in the same stratosphere of IQ compared to CoD or Titanfall and they are 60fps.

The visual issues you mentioned are virtually invisible in most environments. The input lag might be a thing, but it's a very slow and deliberate game so I can't say it's hampered my playing in any way. Haven't noticed issues with the sound mixing.

I'm not saying it's a technical masterpiece, but I'd never call it rough on Pro. But hey, if that's how you feel.

jmga

People should start to understand that complains about the PC version aren't the same as complains about the console versions. People complain when they can't run their game at max and 60fps or when they have too much variable framerate. But it doesn't mean it's better on console. In worst case scenario, barring some big exceptions, you get the same experience.

I can understand that, but media doesn't. When some PC focused site like PC Gamer writes an article complaining about PC performance, it usually extends to other media as if the only version with problems was the PC one.

haikira

Ha, I knew I wasn't crazy. I genuinely found it to be nearly unplayable due to the latency. The same way Titanfall 2 "just feels right", Dishonored 2 feels very wrong.

It's frustrating, as it seems like a genuinely good game. I've given up a few hours in, and i'm going to wait out the patches before I start from the start again.

Back to Titanfall 2 for the meantime.

There's no screen tearing on the Pro according to NXGamer. I didn't notice anything either, I'm on the third mission.

I have put the game away until it receives further patches. The low FOV and horrible input lag is needs to be fixed.

I agree...so much input lag and weighted movement. It's fucking embarrassing how the majority of people don't or can't notice it. Especially on an "enthusiast" gaming forum.

The FOV too...its like I'm playing with horse blinders on.

Edit: Its important to note that my impressions are after playing Watch Dogs 2, Second Son, and Titanfall 2...which have all been phenomenal from a technical standpoint (PS4 Pro)

That laziness just rushed it out there

Or... maybe they're just not a huge and super technically minded development team? And that they chose to focus on gameplay instead?

I am more shocked that some outlets are still handing out dream scores for what appears messy on a technical level.

Some of the greatest games of all time were messy on a technical level for their time. Deus Ex, Dark Souls etc. Has history shown they were deserving of high scores or the opposite? Don't a lot of people rage against the over emphasis on presentation instead of gameplay?

I'm really just playing devils advocate here, I've only played a single mission of this game and found the presentation underwhelming. I'm just saying that doesn't mean it's not going to deliver where it really matters.

Top Bottom