• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Gamer - Dishonored 2 1st Contact Tech Analysis (PS4 and PS4 Pro)

The Taa is quite agressive again here and hides noise very well. It may run a dynamic solution as this always needs more time to cover and this was just a first contact look.

The Pro benefits are miniscule which in itself is not a huge issue if it resolved more than just the tearing or Iq boost. Maybe another patch is being worked on that boost it further. I will cover more in a further analysis.

Thanks the thread OP. The "claimed" quotes make it sound like a court case though..��

I'm not even sure why I worded it like that. "Said that the game is 'not finished' due to the bugs, glitches and technical problems he encountered." Would have been much better.

What is the purpose of the PS4 PRO version then? I didn't get it.

I have no idea, maybe they were short on time to improve the technical issues?

All those complains about the PC version and in the end the console version(including PS4 Pro) is far worse.

There wasn't much coverage on the performance for this game outside of the PC version, I'm quite surprised to hear about the console performance issues.

People should start to understand that complains about the PC version aren't the same as complains about the console versions. People complain when they can't run their game at max and 60fps or when they have too much variable framerate. But it doesn't mean it's better on console. In worst case scenario, barring some big exceptions, you get the same experience.

Yeah, they aren't the same however I've noticed that the game can be pretty CPU heavy when pushing for 60 fps, and it eats a lot of memory too.

It's probably a bigger issue for PC Gamers due to the variances in system configurations, the director said that 16GB of ram would be better for this game in comparison to 8GB, which most PC Gamers on Steam dont have.

I can understand that, but media doesn't. When some PC focused site like PC Gamer writes an article complaining about PC performance, it usually extends to other media as if the only version with problems was the PC one.

Yeah, I didn't really know about the console versions having performance issues as I didn't see any articles about it.
I guess PC Gamers are somewhat more vocal about performance and technical issues.

The director seems to be pretty bothered about the issues PC Gamers are having and appears to care a lot.

Lucifon

Any word on fixing the controller problems on PS4? (and XB1 as I'm guessing that's the same)

I highly doubt it's running at native 1080p, looks really clean on the Pro.

Axial

Then who we must to blame?
Bethesda's greediness! They just didn't want to pay for a better engine, or something the devs had previous experience with, and allready had the license for idTech5. Arkane had to play with the cards they were dealt with, not their fault imho.

I don't think it's running at 1080p, I think it is higher. He was wrong about Battlefield 1's res (said it was native 1080p even after DF's analysis.) So I have my suspicions.

You can't know that for sure (if you don't work at Arkane, of course)

In general it's pretty dumb to just say devs are lazy. It's a brutal industry where people work long hours and long days.
They choose to work there, yes. And i'm sure there will be one or two people there that don't put as much effort into their work like a lot of others, but to call people lazy...
No. Not on forehand.

Maybe the cpu is just a bitch. Or maybe there was little time. I don't know. Again, ask the devs.

Bethesda's greediness! They just didn't want to pay for a better engine, or something the devs had previous experience with, and allready had the license for idTech5. Arkane had to play with the cards they were dealt with, not their fault imho.

Settle down. The game is a decent step up from the first game in terms of visual complexity. Probably should get some back up before insinuating that Bethesda shoved the engine down Arkanes throat.

After all, they published the first game which ran on UE3.

EmiPrime

The framerate dips on the boat leading up to most missions can be very noticeable but these aren't playable sections. Damning the game because of sections that last a couple of minutes in a 10-20 hour game is a bit disingenuous. Calling the devs lazy or saying they just shat this out is insulting and ignorant. They've clearly poured their hearts and souls into this game.

The game looks great on the Pro other than the low res cinematics but that's understandable. The game does most of its storytelling using the in-game engine anyway.

NXGamer

I don't think it's running at 1080p, I think it is higher. He was wrong about Battlefield 1's res (said it was native 1080p even after DF's analysis.) So I have my suspicions.

To be fair i only counted from 1080p shots( BF1) at the time as it was a quick analysis. I since updated on the video comments with my counts at 4k, but I should have made that clearer in my video, my mistake. Also I never saw DF analysis but I know mine was up first.

I will revisit DH2 when I have more time to see what more of the game offers.

I agree...so much input lag and weighted movement. It's fucking embarrassing how the majority of people don't or can't notice it. Especially on an "enthusiast" gaming forum.

The FOV too...its like I'm playing with horse blinders on.

Edit: Its important to note that my impressions are after playing Watch Dogs 2, Second Son, and Titanfall 2...which have all been phenomenal from a technical standpoint (PS4 Pro)

I agree, no wonder Bethesda didn't send out any review copies. I just hope they fix it soon.

The games you have mentioned have indeed been fantastic on the Pro; Watch Dogs 2 is top notch.

Im playing on the pro and scratching my head at this analysis. I did not experience anything that nxgamer described. Frame rate hasn't dropped after 12 hours. IQ is pretty amazing. Controls were totally fine after I made some adjustments and had no issues. So weird.

To be fair i only counted from 1080p shots( BF1) at the time as it was a quick analysis. I since updated on the video comments with my counts at 4k, but I should have made that clearer in my video, my mistake. Also I never saw DF analysis but I know mine was up first.

I will revisit DH2 when I have more time to see what more of the game offers.

Fair enough! Still look forward to your content!

I only played the first mission on the Pro so I can't speak to performance once you get to Karnaca but I will be very surprised if the game is only running at 1080p. I thought the image quality looked outstanding and it looked better on my screen than running the PC version at 1080p.

cP1Qby.png

This has to be rendering at high than 1080p. I'm gaming at 1080p but the supersampling is significant to my eyes.

RedAssedApe

Banned
sounds about right. wasn't sure if it was framerate but the controls feel off. really heavy...put have been saying its input lag but i'm not sure.

lot of areas where you see graphical glitches. white lines where edges meet. some randomly poor textures (that probably isn't a bug heh)

playing on ps4pro

Karak

There's jaggies, shimmering and artifacting quite clearly. The game feels heavy like there's input lag and the sound mixing is off. I wouldn't be surprised if it had some form of downsampling but it's nothing special. It's not even in the same stratosphere of IQ compared to CoD or Titanfall and they are 60fps.

Ya its rough as hell sometimes. I got flayed for talking about the input lag in my review but its instantly noticable.
Also its not 1080p on pro

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Are the frame drops also during gameplay? It looked like it was only during a cutscenes in that video, which I don't mind.

Input lag sounds nasty though, I wonder if they can fix that. I remember Wolfenstein feeling off for me, despite running at 60fps.

newsguy

I don't know if it's 1080p on pro, but it's certainly not doing anything special. After coming from Watch dogs that does 1800p + checkerboarding and puts out a super crisp image even at a far distance, I can tell that Dishonored is softer. The art style is what makes this game, those enormous hands and weird faces.

NXGamer

Ya its rough as hell sometimes. I got flayed for talking about the input lag in my review but its instantly noticable.
Also its not 1080p on pro

What resolution do you think it is from your counts?

I'm skeptical that it is literally running at 1080p and nothing more on pro. I'm highly skeptical.

As above that is due to the impressive Taa that although very agressive and soft does hide In conjunction with good art and texture work the noise.
Did we ever find out the actual resolution of the pro version?

I don't know if it's 1080p on pro, but it's certainly not doing anything special. After coming from Watch dogs that does 1800p + checkerboarding and puts out a super crisp image even at a far distance, I can tell that Dishonored is softer. The art style is what makes this game, those enormous hands and weird faces.

Yep, it is very soft and to be fair i am surprised anyone thinks it looks supersampled, just goes to show how many people simple look for edge shimmer or noisy parts to discern a games resolution.

Vinc

Well what the hell is the point of the Pro version if all it does is run a couple frames higher during frame drops that are bad in the first place?

Calling this Pro enhanced is potentially the start of a trend I cannot get behind.

Well what the hell is the point of the Pro version if all it does is run a couple frames higher during frame drops that are bad in the first place?

Calling this Pro enhanced is potentially the start of a trend I cannot get behind.

I've been playing for 20 hours. I haven't had anything like what is happening in this video. Having seen all the console versions, Pro runs and looks the sharpest. The analysis is bewildering to me. Its odd how my experience has been so different.

Vinc

I've been playing for 20 hours. I haven't had anything like what is happening in this video. Having seen all the console versions, Pro runs and looks the sharpest. The analysis is bewildering to me. Its odd how my experience has been so different.

Good to know. I have the game and the Pro, but I won't be able to play it for a bit.

Top Bottom