• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

giphy.gif

The next year is going to be insane.

This is said EVERY SINGLE YEAR.
And then this shit happens.

Or maybe it isn't a home console and dedicated handheld but something different. Every rumour so far has been wrong.

I think NX is a game streaming service - can be streamed to a TV or a handheld or your phone or your tablet.

I think similar but they did say it was dedicated hardware. I think it's a console in the shape of a controller. Can buy 1st party screen device and a tv reciever seperately or use any smart device as the display, probably allow it to work as a controller for ios and android games.

I feel like this all has strategic reasons, the reactions here are hilarious, lol.

- Release mobile games (Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem) and get more people ready for Nintendo Accounts / aware of Nintendo until NX launch

- Christmas season won't be good, but will bring a bunch of money regardless, while they can benefit from a big launch in March (basically, get the most money out of it)

- The Zelda decision is obvious, it fuels the NX launch

- Have a seperate event for the NX and therefore all the time and attention that they want

- Wii U is dead anyway, so it can die a little bit longer, the numbers are suprisingly constant for being bad

"Fuck the E3" is the only thing I don't understand, but it's an indirect effect of all the stuff above.

Guys.

Federation Force is coming in August.

Oh my god Nintendo's E3 is going to be hilarious.
There goes my theory that they'd announce in June a real Metroid for NX and thus getting rid of some of the vitriol surrounding FF now that we'd know that they are indeed on working in somwrjinfm.

They really have no, fucking idea what they are doing.

I give them five more years, tops.

You REALLY believe that? That no 3DS or other Wii U game will be playable?

And the reasons for their huge places on the E3 floor?

And btw Nintendo has a lot of money. Enough to be with us the next 20 years.

Edit: Who is that behind that twittee account? Why are we believing that?

Something has gone desperately, drastically wrong with this console.

The absence from E3 less than a year before launch, missing the holiday season while clinging desperately to the financial year, the howling wasteland that is this year's software lineup... Something's fucked up. EVERYTHING'S fucked up.

AzaK

March 2017 is FY2016 yet.

The rush to release this year is real :)

Zen + Polaris looks like probable.

Exactly. Better overall to wait a bit to get something they need, and make sure things are baked. But all the cock-teasing about NX info and Zelda this year is the real horseshit.

Chaos17

Somehow, I'm kinda glad they delayed it so the game will be more optimized for both consoles and also make the game better. It is always a good thing when Nintendo delay its game.

I traditionally love Nintendo but I have no fucking clue what their strategy is at the moment. It seems to be "sell fuck all consoles and console games in 2016". I joked a few weeks ago on here about their presentation at E3 being "pretty fucking short" if NX wasn't there but not for a second did I think it was true. As a shareholder, I daren't even look at the stock price right now.

You'd think after what that Emily Rogers said there will plenty of software for the NX, so why not keep Zelda a holiday release for Wii U? Unless Emily was talking nonsense and there really aren't a whole of awesome games in development and they are counting bigtime on Zelda.

There maybe be an amazing suite of games coming to the NX. But the hardware may simply not be mass producable in time. We don't fucking know! Excite!

Neoxon

I feel like this all has strategic reasons, the reactions here are hilarious, lol.

- Release mobile games (Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem) and get more people ready for Nintendo Accounts / aware of Nintendo until NX launch

- Christmas season won't be good, but will bring a bunch of money regardless, while they can benefit from a big launch in March (basically, get the most money out of it)

- The Zelda decision is obvious, it fuels the NX launch

- Have a seperate event for the NX and therefore all the time and attention that they want

- Wii U is dead anyway, so it can die a little bit longer, the numbers are suprisingly constant for being bad
And what of the 3DS?

Tirod

What I can envision is them holding a show/conference/direct weeks out ahead of Tokyo Game Show which would enable potential Japanese third party partners to at least be able to say: "X will be on NX" or "NX is a platform we are looking at with interest". i.e. we could get that official Dragon Quest NX confirmation instead of the accidental slip we got. And if that incident happened so "early" relative to us actually seeing the platform, it'd show Nintendo was making good strides with third parties early on? Pure conjecture, or tales from my ass, as some would prefer to call.

Seeing as March is there target, and if Microsoft/Sony both have new hardware at E3, it makes sense for that glut of information we are gasping for to get pushed back for better media coverage. And it let's software shape up better for a more impressive showing.

I'm just glad to be one to play everything because if I was Nintendo only...yeesh. Only TMS#FE even appeals to me on their console line up.

You REALLY believe that? That no 3DS or other Wii U game will be playable?

And the reasons for their huge places on the E3 floor?

And btw Nintendo has a lot of money. Enough to be with us the next 20 years.

As a dedicated developer of AAA products? Damn right I believe it.

Sure the brand will live on, but Nintendo will be a shell of what it was, of what it even is right now.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Zelda being the only playable game this E3 and you can't even buy it this year. Why did they even bother.

What a shitty company. :(

Minions

I thought I set my expectations low enough, and somehow I still feel disappointed. Ah well... Zelda will be mine in due time regardless. Interesting that they are waiting so long on the NX release though. Perhaps something happened behind the scenes, that is slowing the console release. At least they can coast on Amiibo profits.

Kaisos

How are they going to market it after the reveal when E3 has come and gone and only enthusiasts are going to go out of their way to watch Nintendo stuff (since I'm sure they won't even do Gamescom or something)?

Only enthusiasts watch E3 to begin with lol. If they have an interesting enough concept, people WILL hear about it regardless of when they reveal it.

ZombAid82

Nintendo doesn't even try anymore to save this fiscal year for them selves.
What a BIG disappointment!!!!
No NX on E3, what the flying fuck.
Instead focus on one game only ?!?!??!?
Yeah, I never said it before, and I'm a BIG N-Fanoy, but Nintendo is DOOOOOOOOMED!!!!

Wii U launched during holiday and look how that ended up. NX launching in March is fine, especially since it's getting Zelda.

But no or limited E3 NX coverage is weird.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I can't wait to see how the shareholders will react to all this news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom