• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grebby

At this point I just have such low expectations for what Nintendo is doing right now. Like everyone else here I'll still be very curious to know what they're doing and the direction they'll be heading in but as of now and after hearing this news, I couldn't be any less excited for what they're doing.

It's just extremely disappointing as a Wii U owner. There are a grand total of 2 games this year that may interest me, and unfortunately at this stage I don't think I'll buy any of them. I've never been big into Star Fox and Star Fox Zero doesn't interest me at all. Then Paper Mario just looks like it's continuing the mess that Sticker Star started, just not interested at all.

And now we've gotta wait until 2017 for Zelda... brilliant.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I don't really see what's the issue at hand here, but if Nintendo's pissing away 2016 in hopes for a fresh start in 2017, let 'em at it.

Insane Nintendo is best Nintendo.

It's an absolutely Sega move.

Actually screw that, Sega at least had Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, and Deep Fear in that time period.

mStudios

NX for March 2017 is the best they could've done, in my opinion.

Nintendo is trying to sell the most amount of WiiU they can before NX releases.

markets_3018861b.jpg

/s

Wrong. They announced 2 smartphone games :p

That means you know what they plan is and what they wanna do with the NX right? Because you are an expert of everything going on in the industry because you are a developer.

This dismissive shit really pisses me off on this site.

We post on a video game enthusiasts web forum. I'm giving my opinion.

Frodo

Zelda and Nintendo are trending on Twitter and it's not even E3!

If you think that anyone needs E3 to get the message across you are delusional. People are talking about a lowkey shareholders conference meeting report statement. E3 or not is irrelevant.

I wish they would reveal it already, though. All these speculation got boring a while ago.

XenodudeX

I'm actually getting worried for the company now. Something really bad happend with their plans this year. I wonder if we'll ever know.

whipihguh

Banned
If they're gonna do a press conference on NX, I wish they'd do it at some point before E3, just so I can actually see what they're planning after this disaster. But if there's no NX at all at E3, I guess it's gonna be some point later.

Well, can't wait to enjoy Nintendo's next big game a year from now.

As a dedicated developer of AAA products? Damn right I believe it.

Sure the brand will live on, but Nintendo will be a shell of what it was, of what it even is right now.

This quote is the best example of an armchair CEO, like, it's perfect.

Also, I like Gematsu, but is it really a super reliable source when no other outlets are picking that up? Seems like a mistranslation to me

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I really think that today's meeting is the worst ever and the worst possible for Nintendo.
I get this feeling from today's news:

- Wii U is going to seel even worst than ever before this year. Not only it has already been replaced in people's mind by NX, but it will have no support at all after Zelda delay (like, 1 game - Paper Mario - for all the holiday period), not counting the production issues that hit the Wii U hard in Japan since February.

- 3DS will probably still draought itself through the holiday with a solid line up, but it will surely suffer fatigue

- NX home console will be DoA, with a March launch. Even if it will be somehow interesting, it's not a period for HUGE purchase volumes and a slow adoption from the market is "exactly" what a Nintendo home console needs, right? especially after the Wii U

- This year E3 will be the worst ever for them, while competitors will hit hard, maybe even with hardware revision. I mean, obviously they will go for a digital event. During which they will probably just spoil a game that will still be at best 9 months ahead. WOW what a show. No new hardwre, no new games (are they gonna show games for an unannounced platform? I don't think so...). horrible.

- They are putting two major IPs on mobile exactly during that void. They are filling the gap with mobile products.

I mean. what does this mean? That home console from Nintendo are fading into irrelevancy, that's all.

Bioshocker

I've never been fully convinced that NX would launch this year. It would make perfect sense to launch in November, but Nintendo being Nintendo you never know.

So. What does Nintendo have to offer for Wii U this year then?

Unison

I'm a big Nintendo fan, but this is pretty much insulting.

They told us they wouldn't have the droughts on Wii U or 3DS that they had before... yet here we are....

Wii's last year was godawful, and Wii U launch was still underwhelming. I suspect NX will be the same thing with one or two games expected to carry the weight for the first six months.

They are really treating Wii U owners poorly ... and yet I'd rather they just transition the new Zelda to NX and be done with Wii U... at least then the game wouldn't be hobbled by current-gen constraints.

Munter

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but here is the full message regarding Zelda @ E3.

E3: Nintendo changes its approach to the show every year. This June, Nintendo will focus its attentions on the upcoming game in The Legend of Zelda series. The Wii U version of the game will be playable for the first time on the E3 show floor, and it will be the only playable game Nintendo presents at the show, in order to provide attendees a complete immersion. Additional information about Nintendo’s E3 plans will be announced in the future.

Source: Nintendo PR

R00bot

Saltiest thread I've ever seen. I always kinda wanted it to release 2017 since that would make me feel like my Wii U purchase was worth it.

A 4.5 year lifespan is fine by me.

beril

The No-E3-business makes me think it's going to be something really weird and they're going to wait until the last minute to reveal its big surprise with a marketing blitzkrieg

I honestly cannot believe an E3 with a mainline Zelda title might be my most disappointing year for Nintendo.

Because eating a steak is good, but it needs compliments to be a complete meal. Zelda is like the steak, but it doesn't come with a potato, salad, beverage, bread, etc. so there's a major void in flavor

ThatGuy

Oh wow, March 2017 was also the rumored release date for the PS4 Neo in another thread.
Can't imagine that this would be an favorable outcome for Nintendo.

mStudios

Zelda being the only game playable at E3 DOES NOT MEAN it's the only game they will be talking about during this E3.

I'm like 100% sure they will be announcing more stuff for the WiiU.

You guys need to relax a bit.

This dismissive shit really pisses me off on this site.

We post on a video game enthusiasts web forum. I'm giving my opinion.

But you had first off say what you are and why your view of things is more worth than mine. Because you are an developer.

I don't run around and tell truckers i'm a bachelor of logistics when they talk to me.
Your opionion is your opninion but it doesnt mean it is true and i need to agree because you are someone from the industry.

Jintor

They really have no idea what they are doing.

How are they going to market it after the reveal when E3 has come and gone and only enthusiasts are going to go out of their way to watch Nintendo stuff (since I'm sure they won't even do Gamescom or something)?

It's Nintendo. Everyone will come.

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but here is the full message regarding Zelda @ E3.

E3: Nintendo changes its approach to the show every year. This June, Nintendo will focus its attentions on the upcoming game in The Legend of Zelda series. The Wii U version of the game will be playable for the first time on the E3 show floor, and it will be the only playable game Nintendo presents at the show, in order to provide attendees a complete immersion. Additional information about Nintendo’s E3 plans will be announced in the future.

Wow, this is actually a thing. Wow.

ZhugeEX
‏@ZhugeEX
Update:

Nikkei reporting that NX "Features, price, software at launch and other details to be announced by the end of the year"

Raylan

Banned
1. NX launching in March 2017 :(
2. Zelda delayed to 2017 :(((

Which means:
A) The NX hardware + software isn't ready, so they had to delay it.
B) Nintendo thought it's more important to launch worldwide at the same time with their new
platform. So to have enough units for a worldwide launch, they had to delay it to Sping 2017.

wow. holy shit. what does complete immersion even mean??? I mean, Nintendo sure wanted to drop E3 a long time ago, that much was clear, but holy crap

KingBroly

Banned
I'm a big Nintendo fan, but this is pretty much insulting.

They told us they wouldn't have the droughts on Wii U or 3DS that they had before... yet here we are....

Wii's last year was godawful, and Wii U launch was still underwhelming. I suspect NX will be the same thing with one or two games expected to carry the weight for the first six months.

They are really treating Wii U owners poorly ... and yet I'd rather they just transition the new Zelda to NX and be done with Wii U... at least then the game wouldn't be hobbled by current-gen constraints.

They really fucked up with Wii U. It's just that simple. However you want to extrapolate how it affected Nintendo, fine. But it starts right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom