• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markoman

Online and offline social experiences are completely different.
There's no point making it your focus as long as good and comfortable technology is expensive, which will be the case for a long while.
Even if Nintendo can compete on the price aspect, there's no point if it's do like psvr with an unproven technology. Not repeating PR BS, I've tried VR, I know VR devs and colleagues invested in it, this is not the right time for them and doesn't fit their expertise.

You're not getting the point.
How about this. Me and my gf wearing VR headsets playing a game where we sit on a couch in a house on Mars looking at a virtual TV where another game plays.

The point is, if you're not seeing the potential, fair enough, but you are basically just repeating Nintendo's opinion on a matter. What's Nintendo's opinion on social net-works, text messaging, do they believe that photography will steal your soul? Don't let us start a discussion about ethics here, there are people out there who won't distinguish between isolated and social gaming - for them gaming is bad no matter how you turn it.
Progress gives a shit about ethics and those who won't accept progress will simply be run over it, if you like or not.

So, you think that Nintendo is just waiting for the right moment? Aha, so in the same way they've waited for HD and Online gaming? No fucking company on earth can come late to the party and just start competing in an advanced tech sector. Ask MS how many billion dollars their entry into the console business did cost them.

Vena

I belive that AMD has the capacity to fk up that badly.

What I don't believe in is that a mere 1 plant can contribute to months of delays in a major product launch.

I guess this is a question I'd have on the matter. If NX is on 14nm or some other newer node and yields are low and production limited... How many plants ARE avaiable for production? One plant could have a huge impact depending on this.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. AMD seems to be messy to work with. With the 360 red rings, MS went crazy analyzing how hardware was failing and who's fault it was. It pretty much came down to some shoddy work by AMD, but they pretty much denied it, and so MS lost $1 billion. Some internal teams were like yeah ATi dun goof'd, but they still wouldn't budge. So if AMD cost MS $1billion then this seems kinda plausable, but the source is super shoddy so im not gonna believe it.
Thats not true at all.
AMD is not responsible for the RRoD. That's all on Microsoft for demanding such a powerful and hot running chip and then not designing the appropriate cooling measures around them, while using solder that wasn't up to the task.

It was all on MS' awful hardware team and their shoddy QA.

This will have been lost in the shuffle, but the developer of Aixom Verge posted this over at US Gamer a bit earlier:

I got a piece of good news today that indicates I might be able to have Axiom Verge ready for NX at launch...but basically that was as far as my source even knew. So I still have no idea what the system is like and still am reading sites like this to try and guess.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-nintendo-nx-what-we-know-so-far

Interesting in itself. It reinforces a few things:

1) We may well be seeing far more indie support at an earlier junction for NX, as suggested by Emily.

2) Things are moving in the dev world for the system (so we’re likely to get more reliable leaks/speculation over the next few months).

3) If there was still any doubt that NX will have a regular control scheme, between Zelda and indie support, it’s all but confirmed.

Yes, NX won't be at E3, but there will still likely be a lot of rumbling in and around the event, given behind closed doors meetings and such.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This will have been lost in the shuffle, but the developer of Aixom Verge posted this over at US Gamer a bit earlier:

I got a piece of good news today that indicates I might be able to have Axiom Verge ready for NX at launch...but basically that was as far as my source even knew. So I still have no idea what the system is like and still am reading sites like this to try and guess.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-nintendo-nx-what-we-know-so-far

Interesting in itself. It reinforces a few things:

1) We may well be seeing far more indie support at an earlier junction for NX, as suggested by Emily.

2) Things are moving in the dev world for the system (so we’re likely to get more reliable leaks/speculation over the next few months).

3) If there was still any doubt that NX will have a regular control scheme, between Zelda and indie support, it’s all but confirmed.

Yes, NX won't be at E3, but there will still likely be a lot of rumbling in and around the event, given behind closed doors meetings and such.

That's interesting. Things moving for indie developers too sounds good!

Ryoku

I doubt it. His company only works on the processors not the whole device assembly.

What's in them chips!? :D :D :D

If this is true, then it would confirm Nintendo using a SoC APU instead of a MCM.
Of course, this wouldn't really be news anyway, as this was the assumption the whole time. It would just be confirmation.

Wow, if AMD fucked up on the production lines.....when they are practically begging for contracts.

Serious question gaffers. IF, and big IF. This is true....

What kind of offer would AMD be looking to give Nintendo, or what king of litigation would Nintendo be looking at?

Mokujin

Not buying that AMD mistakenly switching multimillion dollar chip designs, lol.

NX delay is disappointing, but I don't see anyone not expecting those from Nintendo.

The thing is, Nintendo like their split RAM pools, so it wouldn't surprise me if the NX has fast ESRAM, eDRAM or HBM, and a big block of slower DDR3/DDR4.

I really think there is a high chance of this kind of setup, Nintendo hates Ram latency above all since N64 RAMBUS fiasco and it seems less likely for them to go all out on 8GB fast ram (although I would like them to do it this way).

The_Lump

Banned
Holy shit @ AMD rumours. Can't be true, right? Seems far too absurd.

What? Nintendo's own wording refers to this as a delay, specifically because they wanted to allow more time for the software to mature. We're not the ones calling it a delay; Nintendo is!

But where are you getting 5 months from? I didn't say it wasn't a delay, I'm questioning how you know it's a 5 month delay?

Besides, that's not addressing the rest of my post at all.

klier

I really think there is a high chance of this kind of setup, Nintendo hates Ram latency above all since N64 RAMBUS fiasco and it seems less likely for them to go all out on 8GB fast ram (although I would like them to do it this way).

8 Gig of fast RAM is not 'going all out' when the 4-5 year old PS4 hardware already has this.

12 Gig of fast RAM please, thank you.

Eolz

You're not getting the point.
How about this. Me and my gf wearing VR headsets playing a game where we sit on a couch in a house on Mars looking at a virtual TV where another game plays.

The point is, if you're not seeing the potential, fair enough, but you are basically just repeating Nintendo's opinion on a matter. What's Nintendo's opinion on social net-works, text messaging, do they believe that photography will steal your soul? Don't let us start a discussion about ethics here, there are people out there who won't distinguish between isolated and social gaming - for them gaming is bad no matter how you turn it.
Progress gives a shit about ethics and those who won't accept progress will simply be run over it, if you like or not.

So, you think that Nintendo is just waiting for the right moment? Aha, so in the same way they've waited for HD and Online gaming? No fucking company on earth can come late to the party and just start competing in an advanced tech sector. Ask MS how many billion dollars their entry into the console business did cost them.

What the hell are you even talking about?
I didn't talk about "ethics" or anything of the sort, and you seem to overreact way too much for what isn't a sure bet.
The technology, while great now, isn't ready for console gaming without shortcuts here and there. Nintendo wouldn't want that, and the current experiences aren't good to showcase local multiplayer right now either.

VR is not comparable to HD gaming and online gaming in any way.

Mokujin

8 Gig of fast RAM is not 'going all out' when the 4-5 year old PS4 hardware already has this.

Best case scenario is Nintendo trying to match more or less Ps4One specs, that would be for Nintendo 'going all out', 12 GB fast ram is a 0% likely scenario.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Such modesty. Why stop at 12GB?

LewieP

This will have been lost in the shuffle, but the developer of Aixom Verge posted this over at US Gamer a bit earlier

Seems thread worthy to me, mind if I make a thread, or do you plan to?

Edit: Too slow I mean a thread and gave you a credit for bringing it to my attention.

z0m3le

Banned
The difference between 8 and 12gb of ram won't put the console at a loss.

The difference is completely moot. There should be no performance concerns for 12GBs to be needed, this isn't your PC with browsers open and tabbing through multiple applications behind some video game you have running on a second monitor. Consoles just don't need more than 8GBs of ram at this fidelity. (~PS4 level) Even the PS4k is using 8GBs of ram still.

Eolz

The difference is completely moot. There should be no performance concerns for 12GBs to be needed, this isn't your PC with browsers open and tabbing through multiple applications behind some video game you have running on a second monitor. Consoles just don't need more than 8GBs of ram at this fidelity. (~PS4 level) Even the PS4k is using 8GBs of ram still.

Not saying it's needed, just saying the logic behind the previous comment is flawed. If they go with 8gb of ram it won't be due to concerns of selling the console at a loss or not.

Under powered hardware incoming....

Did people expect anything else? The biggest reason for Nintendo's losses was the fact that after the 3DS price cut it sold at a loss and that the Wii U sold at a loss for quite a long time. They're not going to be selling major hardware at a loss again any time soon.

pestul

I cant see the AMD thing being true, something would have been said by now surely?
Probably not. AMD would be like "Nintendo, please please please we'll do anything keep the contract and not have you sue us. Name the price."

It would be a colossal fuck up if it is true. Enough so to potentially sink AMD for good.

Now that things have cooled down a bit (just a bit - still seeing plenty of frothing insanity, gloating fanboys and bizarre entitlement on here) I think it might be OK to share a more balanced opinion.

As a Wii U owner I'm a little disappointed that the console's pretty much done, but that's it. I think it's taking an incredible amount of balls for Nintendo to refocus their entire company in this way and I can't wait to see what the results are. As a consumer (ugh, hate identifying as a consumer) of course I want the shiny new thing sooner, but if sooner means a drought of games or rushing development or the competition ruining any new gimmick by rushing to poorly imitate it, well then they should go by their own schedule. Clearly that's what happening, and good on them for deciding to do things at their own pace.

royox

They 100% were.

N64 controller was the first with a thumbstick (although not the first analog stick, technically).

N64 controller was first with rumble.

N64 controller was first with rear trigger button.

SNES controller was first with shoulder buttons.

NES gamepad was the first gamepad.

Game & Watch was first with d-pad.

Nintendo please stop doing gimmicks we wouldn't want you to add anything new to gaming ever again.

ONLY TRADITIONAL CONTROLS (THAT YOU SET THE STANDARD FOR).

PLEASE DON'T EVER DO ANYTHING NEW (UNLESS I LIKE IT).

*Some of this may not be completely accurate, but what's not inaccurate is that even fi they weren't the first, they set the standard that followed.

xi6mg6J.jpg

MuchoMalo

Banned
Even if the GPU was the main contributor to the red ring, that would still mostly be Microsoft's fault for rushing that to market without proper testing.

This, if real, would be 100% on AMD (and/or the manufacturing plant).

Even if the did screw up, it would mean one very important thing if true: The APUs are being made at the same plant. Correct me of I'm wrong, but a single plant usually is dedicated to a certain node. This would mean that NX and the Xbox upgrade are using the same node, which would have to be 14nmFF if MS wants to be competitive.

However, it could also mean that Nintendo's design was intended for a different plant and node. So... square one.

Innovation and invention are not the same thing. Several of these are stretching it as well. The GamePad and a VMU are the same thing? Really? And saying that Mario 64's innovation was being a 3D platformer? And who has ever claimed that Nintendo was the first to any of those genres?

The more I look at this picture, the more ridiculous it seems.

Under powered hardware incoming....

This is a big leap in logic, unless you have no idea what's been going on this gen. They don't need to be underpowered compared to current-gen to sell at a profit at all. It's not going to match PS4k, but it could even noticeably beat PS4 at $350 and still be sold at a profit.

z0m3le

Banned
Probably not. AMD would be like "Nintendo, please please please we'll do anything keep the contract and not have you sue us. Name the price."

It would be a colossal fuck up if it is true. Enough so to potentially sink AMD for good.

Well the user is from New York, his friend works at a fab in upstate new york... the only global foundries fab that can do 14nm afaik is FAB 8 in upstate new york... This at least checks out, and yes it could sink AMD, my guess is that these chips will be made at a cost to AMD, not a profit and we could be looking at a price drop of $50-$100 from the final retail price thanks to this screw up. The FU would be worth 100s of millions USD.

KingBroly

Banned
Well the user is from New York, his friend works at a fab in upstate new york... the only global foundries fab that can do 14nm afaik is FAB 8 in upstate new york... This at least checks out, and yes it could sink AMD, my guess is that these chips will be made at a cost to AMD, not a profit and we could be looking at a price drop of $50-$100 from the final retail price thanks to this screw up. The FU would be worth 100s of millions USD.

If it it were true, it'd be like that one episode of Dexter where he went to court and presented evidence at the wrong trial. It sounds that bad. I'm extremely skeptical of it being the case, but man, if it were true, it'd be great for consumers.

Aces&Eights

This thread has woken me up more than my normal cup of coffee. Go to bed last night as usual and wake up hearing that AMD might be currently shitting the bed for Nintendo. WAT.

Eradicate

So it's all Microsoft's fault!

angry-boiling-evil-eye-eyes-fuming-internal-rage-mad-squint-squinting-steven-seagal-Suspicion-suspicious-GIF.gif

Sorry, but that rumour seems way too absurd. In the remote case it's real, I hope the negative impact isn't even deeper than the delay, especially for third parties' developmet (who I think started working with SDKs anyway, if that helps) and that AMD gives an insane discount to Nintendo then, due to the error.

And this is how I start entertaining the idea of NX at 199.99

I'm all for a cheaper console with better hardware due to industry screw ups!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom