• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
xi6mg6J.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Vena

Same, but I know it would quickly devolve into people e-shouting at each other

I mean, if its true there's very little to shout over and more about ruminating on the consequences to AMD or the GloFo factory as they would be severe. The only shouting would be if people suddenly felt insecure that Nintendo may get a massive deal-cut from this (if true) that could slash the NX price to rather comical degrees with high performance thresholds in the face of the X1.5 and PS4Neo launching.

Also, comically again, Nintendo likely now also knows the X1.5 specs to some degree since the factory would have just made it for them and delivered it.

Vena

What is this AMD thing about now?

Here:

I literally am parsing this from a group text. My buddy works IT for a chip plant in Upstate NY. He claims (and I have zero reason to not believe him) that there is concurrent production happening for NX and a MS thing, I have no specs or details other than there was mix up between which slides were for which and the ones made for NX were intended for an "xbox one upgrade"

May explain why the NX is now in March 2017 rather than Holiday 2016. Since, well, they made the wrong thing.

MuchoMalo

Banned
OMG I GOT IT

What if the mix up wasn't for retail units, but for dev kits? Thus, Nintendo had to send kits to third-parties late, explaining the lack of games. This is on top of the Reddit rumor that third-parties were struggling to meet a holiday launch as-is. Nintendo realized that they were going to miss the holidays, so they decided to just delay it until March and make sure that all of the games make it on time. However, even then they aren't 100% confident so it might hit in June or something. It also makes a lot more sense considering that consumer units shouldn't enter production until summer.

I'm just enjoying the conspiracy theories. I know that none of it is likely to be true. Kimishima is Illuminati.

This is the best possible response.

Vena

OMG I GOT IT

What if the mix up wasn't for retail units, but for dev kits? Thus, Nintendo had to send kits to third-parties late, explaining the lack of games. This is on top of the Reddit rumor that third-parties were struggling to meet a holiday launch as-is. Nintendo realized that they were going to miss the holidays, so they decided to just delay it until March and make sure that all of the games make it on time. However, even then they aren't 100% confident so it might hit in June or something.

I'm just enjoying the conspiracy theories. I know that none of it is likely to be true. Kimishima is Illuminati.

Wouldn't the timing of this, being so recent, be more towards the runs at main production rather than just dev kits at this point? If Nintendo had been planning to stick to a November launch? They'd need a few months of stock build up (especially if limited on yields if this shares a 14nm production line with the X1.5 or whatever), and then distribution planning and such.

Eradicate

I'll make the thread for LapinAgile, but could I be banned if untrue?

I guess if it was posted as "rumor" then it'd be OK? It's a worthy little bit of news, but I don't want it getting out if it's misleading, harmful, etc. I don't mind doing it though!

Unfortunately, looking over the production plants in Upstate NY, we can't say what type of node the NX is on with the information that we have as the range is from 14-28 standard. But if its the factory producing X1.5 parts, and its apparently easy to fuck up the slides on the same production line, then they probably share the same fab. Just question of what fab would the X1.5 be on...

Problem is its hard to say if its true or not... but if someone feels the need, go ahead. It certainly blows this whole situation up and gives some clarity at the same time.

Might even spur some journalists to dig into it.

Yeah, Im hoping for this.

I guess if it was posted as "rumor" then it'd be OK? It's a worthy little bit of news, but I don't want it getting out if it's misleading, harmful, etc. I don't mind doing it though!

At worse, we get confirmation that is false. At best , well ...

Volotaire

Perhaps message a mod first to be sure?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

You could ask a mod if you're not sure.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Wouldn't the timing of this, being so recent, be more towards the runs at main production rather than just dev kits at this point? If Nintendo had been planning to stick to a November launch? They'd need a few months of stock build up (especially if limited on yields if this shares a 14nm production line with the X1.5 or whatever), and then distribution planning and such.

Well, the ramp-up is planned for H2 per AMD. I'm not totally sure.

So, when will Nintendo unveil it? Summer, Fall?

I'm gonna say September.

Vena

Well, the ramp-up is planned for H2 per AMD. I'm not totally sure.

True. Though I'd have imagined that protypes and early internal kits would have been long since developed. Nintendo wouldn't be skipping holiday because "we didn't have ports ready (that weren't going to perform well anyway)".

I'd have thought that around this time, early production ramp-up would have been starting before going into full production later on in the year. This lets them also make sure all the "commercial" products work and have time to be tested for the main commercial/stock/retail run.

Where is your proof?

Pokemaniac

Based on what we've hear fairly recently from developers saying that devkits were in very short supply, I'd say this stands a pretty good chance of significantly impacting devkits. The intended ship date for those could have been within the next month or two.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Based on what we've hear fairly recently from developers saying that devkits were in very short supply, I'd say this stands a pretty good chance of significantly impacting devkits. The intended ship date for those could have been within the next month or two.

Where did we hear that, though? Do you mean Jools' tweets and Thomas Mahler's posts? Or was there something else?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Also, I'd say the best course to take would be to ask LapinAgile if he/she could send a PM in order to be verified by mods, since it's his/her collection of posts we're talking about.

Eradicate

Also, I'd say the best course to take would be to ask LapinAgile if he/she could send a PM in order to be verified by mods, since it's his/her collection of posts we're talking about.

Great point!

I'll PM LapinAgile and ask if he could do that, and if he'd be fine with a thread over the topic.

Azure J

Here:

May explain why the NX is now in March 2017 rather than Holiday 2016. Since, well, they made the wrong thing.

It's the internet, Nintendo, NintendoGAF and NintendoGAF post interesting developments from Nintendo so I can't even quantify the size of the shaving of grain of salt I have right now.

That said, if this is true AYY LMAO.

Nanashrew

Banned
Here:

Dang, if true, Nintendo could sue and the only way AMD might be able to fix their situation is to decrease the cost for chips for the first year or two.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Dang, if true, Nintendo could sue and the only way AMD might be able to fix their situation is to decrease the cost for chips for the first year or two.

AMD isn't producing the chips. If AMD screwed up, all they could do would be to cut the licensing fee. If GloFo screwed up, then Nintendo could get a lower material cost.

Pokemaniac

Where did we hear that, though? Do you mean Jools' tweets and Thomas Mahler's posts? Or was there something else?

We heard from Trev back in March that they weren't out for general availability yet, and none of the reports since then have said otherwise.

Holy shit this is awesome. Well done.

This is the most childish thing i've ever seen on the internet. It just feels like a reaction towards all those people who say Nintendo innovated videogames more and more times.

You know, the hardware could end up being barely more powerful than the Wii U and that statement would still have little to do with it.

To be fair, sometimes people (particularly hardcore Nintendo fans) tend to give the Big N credit that actually could and most likely should be given to other companies, because they tend to use "innovation" and "invention" interchangeably, conflating the two. They also tend to focus those innovations of theirs upon the entire industry when honestly at times that is limited to the home console market, or the handheld market. It's as if they they ignore PC and arcade gaming altogether.

Which is why these type of graphic memes, even if not 100% accurate, are always 100% funny.

They 100% were.

N64 controller was the first with a thumbstick (although not the first analog stick, technically).

N64 controller was first with rumble.

N64 controller was first with rear trigger button.

SNES controller was first with shoulder buttons.

NES gamepad was the first gamepad.

Game & Watch was first with d-pad.

Nintendo please stop doing gimmicks we wouldn't want you to add anything new to gaming ever again.

ONLY TRADITIONAL CONTROLS (THAT YOU SET THE STANDARD FOR).

PLEASE DON'T EVER DO ANYTHING NEW (UNLESS I LIKE IT).

*Some of this may not be completely accurate, but what's not inaccurate is that even fi they weren't the first, they set the standard that followed.

You must feel pretty stupid right about now.

FLAguy954

AMD isn't producing the chips. If AMD screwed up, all they could do would be to cut the licensing fee. If GloFo screwed up, then Nintendo could get a lower material cost.

It's most likely a Global Foundries fuck up judging by their history. I have a good feeling that AMD isn't at fault at ALL since they technically aren't the ones manufacturing the chips.

SO I am confused as to why everyone thinks this is an AMD fuck up (where it would actually be a GloFo fuck up that would have a negative effect on AMD).

It's most likely a Global Foundries fuck up judging by their history. I have a good feeling that AMD isn't at fault at ALL since they technically aren't the ones manufacturing the chips.

SO I am confused as to why everyone thinks this is an AMD fuck up (where it would actually be a GloFo fuck up that would have a negative effect on AMD).

somebody's uncle

What truth? That people might get defensive when someone posts something blatantly aggravating about stuff they like?
Well, partly that yes (which are the reactions, which are fun to watch).

But the other side of it is, some folks like to try accrediting anything and everything to Nintendo as if they invented it and made it en vogue, but ignore that the home console market and handheld markets aren't the only sides to the video game industry, nor have ever been.

I don't mean stuff like the first controller w/ rumble support (even if it wasn't standardized), but other things. The annoying part comes in when they treat as something Nintendo did out of complete isolation, like they aren't looking at competitors and noting ideas and concepts from what they're doing, just putting their own spin on it. Just smacks in the face of history of gaming's contributors imo; Nintendo isn't the only one.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Speaking of chips (of a different kind), Macronix doesn't appear to be bracing for a huge explosion of demand for ROM chips in late 2016 if I am reading this right:

2016 ROM business will be flat with potential

http://www.macronix.com/Lists/QuarterlyResults/Attachments/214/2016Q1%20webcast%20PPT_en.pdf

Wouldn't that start in late 2016 for a March 2017 launch? This might be evidence that the March 2017 product is a home console only.

Everything that we know after this week wave of info points to a console only release in March 2017.

No doubt. Just adding this to the pile is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom