• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

catbrush

You're not getting the point.
How about this. Me and my gf wearing VR headsets playing a game where we sit on a couch in a house on Mars looking at a virtual TV where another game plays.

The point is, if you're not seeing the potential, fair enough, but you are basically just repeating Nintendo's opinion on a matter. What's Nintendo's opinion on social net-works, text messaging, do they believe that photography will steal your soul? Don't let us start a discussion about ethics here, there are people out there who won't distinguish between isolated and social gaming - for them gaming is bad no matter how you turn it.
Progress gives a shit about ethics and those who won't accept progress will simply be run over it, if you like or not.

So, you think that Nintendo is just waiting for the right moment? Aha, so in the same way they've waited for HD and Online gaming? No fucking company on earth can come late to the party and just start competing in an advanced tech sector. Ask MS how many billion dollars their entry into the console business did cost them.

Respectfully, if you and your girlfriend had a child, the idea of wearing a headset would be much less appealing. The appeal of VR is real and obvious, but the isolation factor of HMD is significant enough that it cannot be hand-waved away. It's not so simple as to say that everyone else can just join you in VR. The immersion of HMD VR can only be responsibly enjoyed if everything else in your life is compatible.

ozfunghi

xi6mg6J.jpg

lol

The funny thing is, that this doesn't show the "original" invention. Please... make one where people can laugh at the Mattel D-pad, at the Dreamcast "off-tv play"... please. Make my day.

Respectfully, if you and your girlfriend had a child, the idea of wearing a headset would be much less appealing. The appeal of VR is real and obvious, but the isolation factor of HMD is significant enough that it cannot be hand-waved away. It's not so simple as to say that everyone else can just join you in VR. The immersion of HMD VR can only be responsibly enjoyed if everything else in your life is compatible.

Yeah, no one has been able to come up with a good rebuttal for the isolation factor. Playing online or having more HMDs in the room are not real solutions.

I'm of the opinion that Nintendo will not be on board with VR so long as VR is tethered to HMDs. It's antithetical to their penchant for local multiplayer and is a move going backwards according to their philosophy.

Their version of VR will have some kind of environmental light projection, there's no doubt about it.

lol

The funny thing is, that this doesn't show the "original" invention. Please... make one where people can laugh at the Mattel D-pad, at the Dreamcast "off-tv play"... please. Make my day.

Yes, that's an image I'd like to see.

Pinky

Banned
I'm all for a cheaper console with better hardware due to industry screw ups!

This would be hilarious. AMD fucks up big time and cuts Nintendo the deal of the century.

Nintendo NX = More powerful than PS4K and available for $249.99. XD, lol

royox

Someone made all this work for nothing because what counts is who gets the wheel rolling, not who invents it. Nintendo is responsible and gets credit for standardizing many of those features in gaming.

Now you are moving the goalpost.

Eradicate

Someone made all this work for nothing because what counts is who gets the wheel rolling, not who invents it. Nintendo is responsible and gets credit for standardizing many of those features in gaming.

Exactly! Inventing is one thing and great, sure. But, think of the Wright brothers "inventing" planes but now we have passenger jets. Or if a caveman jumped off a cliff holding a leaf, "inventing" the parachute. They worked well enough, but they had to "get somewhere" too.

Besides, Nintendo made it all accessible, proved its worth, and made it fun. And some of them (touch screen? kart style racing game?) are just ridiculous and trying to stretch it. No one claimed they invented those things. Plus, geez, why not count the original save feature: writing down your scores on a piece of paper. (And I loved the Zork games!) How far back do we want to go?

Regardless, I think that with VR and all...Nintendo seems to have some patents and interests in AR. I think that even with a pair of Google Glass type of things (or some magical mix of mirrors/projectors/eye tracking, etc.) they could make it really fun and interesting. Though...I almost wonder if it would still be a "side" thing and not the main push of their entire library from there on out. It's kind of hard, but the mix needs found between these "altered state" sorts of games (away from just viewing a screen) and traditional games. If all the eggs are in one basket, it's hard to really intertwine the two perfectly all the time. I mean, what can a 2D Mario game offer in VR with a headset on other than shoving your eyes closer to a screen? It's all going to be really interesting in the coming years!

This would be hilarious. AMD fucks up big time and cuts Nintendo the deal of the century.

Can you imagine?! It would be chaos and we'd all be winners!

"Sorry...here's 14nm for half off."

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, no one has been able to come up with a good rebuttal for the isolation factor. Playing online or having more HMDs in the room are not real solutions..

Try demoing a HMD in a room full of people mirrored on a big screen. That's your rebuttal. That's where you understand how well the asynchronous local MP would work with these.

Ansatz

Now you are moving the goalpost.

Technically you're right because the posters said "first" but...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_64

The game has left a lasting impression on 3D game design, particularly notable for its use of a dynamic camera system and the implementation of its 360-degree analog control. The title is acclaimed by many critics and fans as one of the greatest and most revolutionary video games of all time

you're arguing against this ^, it's a loosing battle I'm afraid.

Try demoing a HMD in a room full of people mirrored on a big screen. That's your rebuttal. That's where you understand how well the asynchronous local MP would work with these.

Uh, no. A big screen != A VR experience. In fact, there is a chasm separating the two. HMDs literally and physically cut you off from the real world. Unless the virtual world becomes more inclusive, it will always feel more isolating. Mirroring to a television set doesn't solve anything.

The original comment was about gimmicks, no?

How is Nintendo arriving at a specific implementation of something they hadn't implemented before and using it as a selling feature for their consoles/games anything but a gimmick?

I'm not arguing that they aren't gimmicks, so I don't know what you're talking about.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Not that crazy, but maybe 50% faster than PS4 for $350 or less, or on-par with PS4 for $250

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Uh, no. A big screen != A VR experience. In fact, there is a chasm separating the two. HMDs literally and physically cut you off from the real world. Unless the virtual world becomes more inclusive, it will always feel more isolating.

Do you even know what asynchronous MP is or you just ignored that part in my post?

Koren

lol

Plus, there's plently of interesting mistakes...

For example, IIRC, Magnavox light rifle is... designed and produced by Nintendo ^_^

Uemura was in the 60s a sharp engineer trying to sell new solar cells. Seeing the potential, Nintendo bought the cells AND hired Uemura to produce lightgun toys in the end of the 60s. Yamauchi launched a couple lightgun clay arcade rooms in former bowling rooms in Japan in 1973, but I'm pretty sure the Magnavox Lightgun was one of their first involvement in video game industry.

Also, for people wondering, this it the Intellivision "D-pad" (and shoulder buttons):
mattel_intellivision-controller.jpg

(it's actually 16-ways)

Do you even know what asynchronous MP is or you just ignored that part in my post?

Yes, I do. What I don't understand is how you think that asynchronous multiplayer solves the problem of people trying to socialize with your in your house while you're hooked up to a VR rig.

Humans use something like 80% nonverbal language to communicate. You lose reception to that significant portion of communication when you're using an HMD.

I don't know why you'd argue that goalpost shifting is happening if you agree that they're gimmicks.

But I'm not arguing this? I'm so confused, lol

I'm saying that the point that that poster was making was off the mark, and what they perceived as a shift in goal posts was really just their failure to understand the original point of the original poster.

MuchoMalo

Banned
It's not that clean of a material price to speed ratio.

Again, the biggest effect on price will be if they do fancy shit with the controller again.

I know, I was just giving somewhat realistic examples. Also, I'd imagine that the controller would be the first place where they'd try to keep costs in check. Even Miyamoto admitted that the GamePad was too expensive. If they're doing a controller gimmick, they've almost certainly gone with a more Wii-like approach than Wii U.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yes, I do. What I don't understand is how you think that asynchronous multiplayer solves the problem of people trying to socialize with your in your house while you're hooked up to a VR rig..

Sorry, I thought we discuss about games here and local multiplayer and how you can play games together in the same room, not about socializing. Socializing it's easy, just don't use an audio headset.

Otherwise, if we talk about games played together, the exact same concept Wii U proposed with the gamepad replaced by a VR HMD works perfectly if not better. All the Nintendo Land games would work nicely with that.

Sorry, I thought we discuss about games here and local multiplayer and how you can play games together in the same room, not about socializing. Socializing it's easy, just don't use an audio headset.

Otherwise, if we talk about games played together, the exact same concept Wii U proposed with the gamepad replaced by a VR HMD works perfectly if not better. All the Nintendo Land games would work nicely with that.

My original post addressed two points, so I can understand how that might have been confusing.

The person I responded to was talking about a situation in which there would be small children in the house. You wouldn't be able to keep an eye on them if you wore an HMD. There is no solution involving an HMD that could solve this problem, besides putting cameras on the exterior of the HMD and then feeding a picture in picture input into the game, which would be ridiculous.

The other problem is mainly a psychological barrier. Social activities are more engaging when participants can see each other's facial reactions. When that aspect is limited, it might have a negative effect on the experience.

These issues may not seem like big issues to you, but they may still be issues that get in the way of mainstream success. If there is too much of a concerted effort to engage in the virtual reality experience, it's not going to fly with casual gamers after the novelty wears off.

It's easy to look at things from within your own bubble and believe that certain ideas will flourish, but we have to be willing to consider other perspectives as well, and I don't think the industry understands that the mass market is not just a bunch of nerds looking for escapism.

Meesh

Wow... potentially underwhelming Nintendo E3 or mind bogglingly massive Zelda E3 blow out? Not sure how I feel about this...

Eradicate

Plus, there's plently of interesting mistakes...

For example, IIRC, Magnavox light rifle is... designed and produced by Nintendo ^_^

Uemura was in the 60s a sharp engineer trying to sell new solar cells. Seeing the potential, Nintendo bought the cells AND hired Uemura to produce lightgun toys in the end of the 60s. Yamauchi launched a couple lightgun clay arcade rooms in former bowling rooms in Japan in 1973, but I'm pretty sure the Magnavox Lightgun was one of their first involvement in video game industry.

Also, for people wondering, this it the Intellivision "D-pad" (and shoulder buttons):
mattel_intellivision-controller.jpg

(it's actually 16-ways)

I was about to say. What buttons DIDN'T the Intellivision have?! That and the Jaguar controller are insanity. Gotta have them numbers! Hopefully the NX controller has a numerical key pad in it!

Kickz

Man this reaaaaally puts a damper on E3 for me, was really looking forward to Nintendo owning this years conference..

I guess its gonna be up to PS4k/Morpheus/AllotherVR to lift up the show

Phoenixus

Hmm, after last year I'm kinda warming up to the idea of Nintendo championing one awesome game instead of a high number of lesser ones. Still gutted overall, but if that AMD thing is true I'd say they have good reason for the delay.

Why are people so bothered by this, so what if Nintendo did not do any of these things first?

Because it's not just misleading, it's inaccurate and an easy way to spread misinformation.

The 'first' inventions of those concepts look nothing like Nintendo's implementations, and it's Nintendo's implementations that other companies are copying, not the 'first' inventions.

For all intents and purposes, Nintendo invented those features in the forms that we attribute those features to.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Because it's not just misleading, it's inaccurate and an easy way to spread misinformation.

The 'first' inventions of those concepts look nothing like Nintendo's implementations, and it's Nintendo's implementations that other companies are copying, not the 'first' inventions.

For all intents and purposes, Nintendo invented those features in the forms that we attribute those features to.

Wait, are you trying to tell met that your DS4 doesn't have a 16-way digital disc on it!? :O

Nanashrew

Banned

Pretty much. Nintendo actually utilized most of these these things in their own way. Analog stick? someone else made that, but Nintendo was the only company taking the 3D revolution seriously day 1, while the others had to make their new controller with analog later.

Their use of motion controls? They've actually experimented in the past as far back as the NES with the U-Force (uses only your hands and non-wearable like a primitive Kinect) and the Power Glove (wearable). Both came out in 1989. The Wii was their most innovative of these and now everyone copies that and everything under the sun nowhas some form of gyro and accelerometers now.

Despite not making many firsts like the picture, they have modernized and popularized them. No one would really want to play on a controller with an analog stick like the Radofin.

Vena

Unfortunately, looking over the production plants in Upstate NY, we can't say what type of node the NX is on with the information that we have as the range is from 14-28 standard. But if its the factory producing X1.5 parts, and its apparently easy to fuck up the slides on the same production line, then they probably share the same fab. Just question of what fab would the X1.5 be on...

Someone should make a thread on the AMD thing, its too hilarious if true.

Problem is its hard to say if its true or not... but if someone feels the need, go ahead. It certainly blows this whole situation up and gives some clarity at the same time.

Might even spur some journalists to dig into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom