• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXT Takeover: Brooklyn III |OT| The Eclipse Comes Early

Raw announce team: Cole, Graves, Booker

SD announce team: JBL, Tom, Byron

NXT announce team: Mauro, Nigel, Percy

They are all made up exactly the same. Two white guys and one black guy. You think that's a total coincidence?

When Otunga had to leave, who replaced him? Booker.

When they swapped Byron off of Raw, who did they swap him for? Otunga.

This is not exactly the biggest leap in logic.

It is, though, because WWE has had lots of all-white announce teams in the last few years. NXT used to be just Phillips and Graves for a LONG fucking time. Smackdown was Phillips/Cole/JBL. Otunga and Booker have been around for a minute in comparison, though Booker had a run a while back. Saxton's the only black man who's been in an announce role regularly for any amount of time in WWE. Just because three shows have a black announcer doesn't mean there's a quota. There has never been a black announcer on 205 Live, for example.

Raw64life

Just got back from seeing it live. Definitely continued the trend of being way better than it looked on paper.

Ember Moon vs. Asuka was easily match of the night from where I was sitting. Was really nice to see Ember Moon actually improve from last time, unlike every women's wrestler whose been called up to the main roster in the last year. Awesome match all the way around.

All the other matches were decent or better, wasn't a clunker among the bunch, although the tag match was a little funky in spots. Would've thought it was a No DQ match the way the ref just didn't give a shit about people changing partners and people not in the match putting people through tables. Don't think he ever even started a countout either.

Main event was good but not great. I'm not at all on the Adam Cole bandwagon as nothing that I've seen from him has ever impressed me (which has admittedly been limited to NJPW appearances only) but maybe he'll be able to shine in NXT.

Below are two images of the video screens for two very underrated wrestlers nobody talks about on here, Suk and Ood. They killed it in the dark match and I'm looking forward to them getting some TV time in the future.

2d1DLbi.jpg
jGho7Py.jpg

Just got back from seeing it live. Definitely continued the trend of being way better than it looked on paper.

Ember Moon vs. Asuka was easily match of the night from where I was sitting. Was really nice to see Ember Moon actually improve from last time, unlike every women's wrestler whose been called up to the main roster in the last year. Awesome match all the way around.

All the other matches were decent or better, wasn't a clunker among the bunch, although the tag match was a little funky in spots. Would've thought it was a No DQ match the way the ref just didn't give a shit about people changing partners and people not in the match putting people through tables. Don't think he ever even started a countout either.

Main event was good but not great. I'm not at all on the Adam Cole bandwagon as nothing that I've seen from him has ever impressed me (which has admittedly been limited to NJPW appearances only) but maybe he'll be able to shine in NXT.

Below are two images of the video screens for two very underrated wrestlers nobody talks about on here, Suk and Ood. They killed it in the dark match and I'm looking forward to them getting some TV time in the future.

If you ain't down with NXT, I've got 2 words for you: SUK OOD!

It is, though, because WWE has had lots of all-white announce teams in the last few years. NXT used to be just Phillips and Graves for a LONG fucking time. Otunga and Booker have been around for a minute in comparison, though Booker had a run a while back. Saxton's the only black man who's been in an announce role regularly for any amount of time in WWE. Just because three shows have a black announcer doesn't mean there's a quota. There has never been a black announcer on 205 Live, for example.

I think it's a recent thing.

Meltzer has definitely hinted at it existing without outright saying it. He always dances around it, probably because he knows it's a touchy subject.

The thing is, there are undoubtedly better third men for commentary than Byron, Otunga, and Booker. They are terrible for the most part. If not for a quota, then I think WWE is even stupider for having them because they have so much better announcing talent in the company.

I think it's a recent thing.

Meltzer has definitely hinted at it existing without outright saying it. He always dances around it, probably because he knows it's a touchy subject.

The thing is, there are undoubtedly better third men for commentary than Byron, Otunga, and Booker. They are terrible for the most part. If not for a quota, then I think WWE is even stupider for having them because they have so much better announcing talent in the company.

There really is no other way to explain why Byron, Otunga, and Percy fucking Watson are announcing. Not sure why people are getting mad at you.

I don't know if they NEED wrestlers, but they should look into hiring actual black commentators if thats what they are going for.

And as far as wrestlers go, I think Mark Henry, Titus, and Teddy Long would be better than those 3.

Booker used to be damn annoying but he's like a tolerable meme now.

Also, if they want to experiment, they should throw a woman into the team.

oddjobs

shit, they almost got me with the copyright graphics after Roode vs McIntyre.

I was sure that what happened would happen, but then I started thinking it'd take place in the tapings next week.

But nope!

18-Volt

Man, this years Dusty Classic is simply going to be amazing. Lots of potential great team ups. We've got:

reDRagon
Sanity
Street Profits
Gargano - McIntyre
Lorcan - Burch
Ohno - Black
Strong - Roode (every tournament needs an "unlikely alliance")
Velveteen Dream - Lio Rush (Rush debuts in similar fashion to last years Strong debut).
Bate - Dunne

I can see reDRagon and Ohno/Black reaching the finals, reDRagon winning it. This gives reDRagon some validity without even winning the championships.

Percy Watson is announcing NXT for the same reason Rich Brennan or Alex Riley did, they think he might be able to develop like Corey Graves did. Rich and Alex didn't. Percy might not either. P.S. Rich and Alex were both white.

Booker is not an all-time announcer but he's got personality and he's a hall-of-famer. And he's pretty jacked, baby.

Nobody should be saying that Byron Saxton is bad at announcing. He's better than Michael Cole. Byron has been doing this for what, five years? He's not a fucking charity case, he can do the job.

Shut up about this quota shit.

Pikma

Banned
Man, this years Dusty Classic is simply going to be amazing. Lots of potential great team ups. We've got:

reDRagon
Sanity
Street Profits
Gargano - McIntyre
Lorcan - Burch
Ohno - Black
Strong - Roode (every tournament needs an "unlikely alliance")
Velveteen Dream - Lio Rush (Rush debuts in similar fashion to last years Strong debut).
Bate - Dunne

I can see reDRagon and Ohno/Black reaching the finals, reDRagon winning it. This gives reDRagon some validity without even winning the championships.
You're missing the GOATs Heavy Machinery

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
shit, they almost got me with the copyright graphics after Roode vs McIntyre.

I was sure that what happened would happen, but then I started thinking it'd take place in the tapings next week.

But nope!

you could see the entire crowd turn to the side where Cole was coming from tho

Some Nobody

Percy Watson is announcing NXT for the same reason Rich Brennan or Alex Riley did, they think he might be able to develop like Corey Graves did. Rich and Alex didn't. Percy might not either. P.S. Rich and Alex were both white.

Booker is not an all-time announcer but he's got personality and he's a hall-of-famer. And he's pretty jacked, baby.

Nobody should be saying that Byron Saxton is bad at announcing. He's better than Michael Cole. Byron has been doing this for what, five years? He's not a fucking charity case, he can do the job.

Shut up about this quota shit.

Lol, you seem hurt but I'll be honest, my friends and I were just joking about this exact thing you say "doesn't exist" without having even seen this thread. And tbh, besides Booker they all suck. Percy sucks, Otunga sucks. Saxton is inoffensive.

I'd love to get behind a black commentator because I like to see other black folk do well...but first WWE needs to hire one that's not trash.

In the mean time they should ditch this weird "two white guy, one black guy" thing they're absolutely doing, and bring on some women commentators. It's past time.

Toki767

I knew HHH wouldn't be dumb enough to let Ember beat Asuka.

Now my only fear is that they let Shayna Baszler beat her due to her connection to Ronda Rousey instead of Kairi Sane.

geomon

Those don't have three man teams.

I'd bet money that if they did, the third man would be a brotha.

Like who?

Last time I watched Main Event, R-Truth was on commentary. Maybe he's not anymore.

But even then, their three main shows all use the same commentary make-up. If you think that's all just happenstance, then sure. And Vince cares so much less about international teams. So much less.

That's why he has them on every PPV right, cause he doesn't give a fuck. Let the other countries learn english.

Your rebuttal is 205 live and Main Event?

Wow.

I know right? That guy totally forgot about the other shows WWE produces.

Just take the L bro or you're going to be future endeavored from wrassle GAF.

What L? The guy is wrong. It's just a fact. I'm sorry.

Imagine how good WWE would be if Vince died and Triple H took over.
Things would probably be more consistent without Vince's uhhh eccentricities.

Wow I spelled that right without the assistance of spell check.
also the lack of gifs tonight was incredibly disapointing.

Gaf failed us all.

This took me forever... I was going to use Game of Thrones but this was easier and still how I felt.

yZZfOQl.gif

David___

Banned
Just got the network for the first time. Saw the Moon/Asuka and Roode/Mcyntyre matches.
First time watching actual full matches and I've been missing out

Kornflayx

I think we got a new drinking game. Every time JR says something you ask "was this real or a WWE 2K soundbite"

You'd be drunk within 5 minutes, guaranteed

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Things would probably be more consistent without Vince's uhhh eccentricities.

Wow I spelled that right without the assistance of spell check.

This took me forever... I was going to use Game of Thrones but this was easier and still how I felt.

yZZfOQl.gif

you good peoples friend phoenix...

...but now you left me wanting for more, and you didnt deliver, so you get a chairshot in the noggin.

El-Suave

I'll admit I'm not familiar with Adam Cole but my immediate fear is that this will lead to an era where the heel is constantly more over than the faces - and that is never a good thing. You saw it at yesterday's main event or even at the women's match. Thank god we had Nakamura for a year to restore things to normal but they now need faces that are super popular and that can be taken seriously. They need to clearly establish Black as a face now and tone down the mystery angle and move Gargano up the ladder quickly.

What L? The guy is wrong. It's just a fact. I'm sorry.

Nope. As said, Meltz has mentioned (without outright saying) that this is the case on multiple occasions.

Right now Book is the only one who is good which is why Otunga was quietly removed. I'm sure they'd prefer that was not the case too, as they prefer their commentators to be young because Vince is weird about age (this is why he's no longer on tv much). I think Book is their oldest regular commentator (JR is older but they only hired him to blunt a potential NJPW US expansion and keep him off WoS and have used him sporadically).

Toki767

I'll admit I'm not familiar with Adam Cole but my immediate fear is that this will lead to an era where the heel is constantly more over than the faces - and that is never a good thing. You saw it at yesterday's main event or even at the women's match. Thank god we had Nakamura for a year to restore things to normal but they now need faces that are super popular and that can be taken seriously. They need to clearly establish Black as a face now and tone down the mystery angle and move Gargano up the ladder quickly.

It's difficult for the heels to be hated when they have so much more charisma than the faces.

Aleister Black doesn't need to talk on the mic because his body language is really good. I think he'll get cheered over any heel he faces.

Johnny Gargano also will get cheered over any heel because the crowd loves him.

Drew is really good in the ring. He is really boring on the mic. There's a reason why the audience barely reacted to him tonight and it's not because they were tired from the previous match.

He's good in-ring, but I still don't feel any charisma from Drew, and his promos have been mediocre.

I disagree, keeping mystique will only help Black.

Gargano yes, he's a fantastic babyface. Don't forget Strong either, I suspect given tonight he'll have a loser leaves NXT match with roode and beat him.

Personally I'd have preferred Roode to win tonight and Roddy be the one to beat him for the title as he's the hottest babyface.

Jezbollah

ADAM COLE BAY BAY!!

That was a fun Takeover. Delivered more than it promised on paper.

Sanity are a jewel. Especially Nikki Cross.

T.v

Pretty good show, but why are people so into Aleister Black? He is terrible. Completely outclassed by Itami with his similar style. The guy looks like shit, and his kicks looked incredibly slow and weak. Though the Black mass looked great. I was pretty impressed with Mcintyre, the man definitely has "it".
Wasn't a fan of the run ins after both the tag matches and the main event. Kind of a lazy way to introduce these new heels. Though that might be me since none of these guys do anything for me.

Shadow780

This might be the best top-to-bottom Takeover in terms of match quality, not a single bad match, or even a good match. They are all great matches.

*Based Haitch*

Kornflayx

Watched the whole event until the main event. Got 5 minutes into it and just skipped to the end. Roode and McIntyre do absolutely nothing for me

gunstarhero

LOL - man, that screen was bugging me all night. Barclay's tech staff seemed to bring their B-game last night - they completely botched Roode's entrance with error screens popping up on the ramp, and the lights coming on at the start.

Whole event was great otherwise!

kiguel182

Black vs Itami was so good. Just watched and loved it so much.

One of the best matches I watched this year. So good. They gave it their all.

Hasney

HHH made a deal with the devil that no TakeOver can be bad. We could have a Jinder Mahal/Mojo Rawley 60 minute iron man match as a main event and it would be brilliant.

Watched the whole event until the main event. Got 5 minutes into it and just skipped to the end. Roode and McIntyre do absolutely nothing for me

Goddamn millennial attention spans

That Aleister Black entrance was so good. Not really into metal, but that performance had me hyped. Made me want to jump up and down and hit something. Sometime WWE gets its perfectly right, and can be so damn entertaining. Great Takeover.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Gargano/Almas - 2.5
AoP/Sanity - 3
Black/Itami - 3.75
Asuka/Ember - 4.25
Bobby/Drew - 3.5

Pretty middling Takeover overall and easily the worst of the Brooklyn shows, but exceeded my low expectations. I'm real glad the Roode era is over. I like Bobby but he belongs on the main roster where he'd be a comfortable mid-carder instead of dragging the top of the card down. Been real sporadic watching the weeklies the last couple months but I'm pretty excited about the direction of NXT between now and the next PPV.

Hasney

I found it to be several magnitudes better than Brooklyn 2, which had 2 average debuts that had no time to breathe and a throw away NWJ V AA match followed by an amazing tag match and 2 good matches that couldn't follow it. Every match on the card was stellar here and while nothing was mind-blowing, it was easily one of the most consistently good cards they've had. Not a single piss break.

EDIT Godammit, just read the TV matches they taped and that tag should have been on the card. Nothing to removed though...

DeathyBoy

Banned
Adam Cole baybay.

I know they won't, but man would I love Coke, Fisher, Reilly uniting with Balor, Gallows, Anderson and Styles so we got a three brand super stable. Got enough shows now that an NWO esque thing could actually work.

Kornflayx

Adam Cole baybay.

I know they won't, but man would I love Coke, Fisher, Reilly uniting with Balor, Gallows, Anderson and Styles so we got a three brand super stable. Got enough shows now that an NWO esque thing could actually work.

Adam Coke, bringing back the 80s promos

Ithil

Pretty good show, but why are people so into Aleister Black? He is terrible. Completely outclassed by Itami with his similar style. The guy looks like shit, and his kicks looked incredibly slow and weak. Though the Black mass looked great. I was pretty impressed with Mcintyre, the man definitely has "it".
Wasn't a fan of the run ins after both the tag matches and the main event. Kind of a lazy way to introduce these new heels. Though that might be me since none of these guys do anything for me.

Nah.

That's all you're getting. "Nah".

WWE has mega faces

Finn, Sami, Styles, Nakamura, Gargano, Seth, Hardyz, Breezango, Black.

Guys like Drew seem to suffer as faces though. Adam Cole and Bobby are much too over but Black and Gargano are NXT's best faces here

Its too bad the main show makes a fool of babyfaces. They are just neutered hard as characters

Please, let Triple H take over soon. The best talent period ever and he can make them all shine so well

Isak_Borg

Nah.

That's all you're getting. "Nah".

Jajaja!

Brah, just ain't about that life.

Crowd was hot as fuck last night and was a fun as fuck show. 2nd BK takeover I've been to and they're always lit as fuck.

Really happy I got to see Pete Dunn wrestle since I missed progress last week.

Ithil

Black is definitely a babyface. Despite the occultist aesthetic he's never acted remotely heelish and is just portrayed as a cool badass guy to root for.

yencid

Black is definitely a babyface. Despite the occultist aesthetic he's never acted remotely heelish and is just portrayed as a cool badass guy to root for.

yeah, and any time they describe him they talk about how hes always in the edge between good and evil. hes supposed to be an antihero for the wwe universe if anything.

Top Bottom