• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times report Switch sales in North America (from interview with Reggie)

I never had a Wii U but my brother did and he had Mario Kart. I plan on getting Mario Kart for the Switch next month.

I'm Sure there are a lot people that got a Switch that never had a Wii U. Mario Kart is probably in their list of games to get.

BillyJack

Banned
The Wii U was as much of an outlier as the Wii. You're hawking some seriously revisionist history here. From a hardware standpoint, the Wii U philosophy was most like the Wii but without a compelling hook for the expanded audience. Its design philosophy was nothing like the GC, 64, SNES, or NES. Wii U was also the first nintendo console to not have strong third party support. The Wii did not get many major multiplats because of hardware limitations but it got a substantial amount of third party content because of its installed base alone. The GC even had great third party support with multiplat parity being the norm until the last 1-2 years or so when it dried up. Get your facts straight.

LOL
Revisionist history is a pretty rich comment. The Wii did not have great 3rd party support are you serious!? Yeah it didn't have the wasteland that the Wii U had but it wasn't anything great and continued the downward trend that had been going on since the N64.

Nintendo has tried gimmicks over and over in an attempt to outmaneuver MS and Sony with Wii being the only true success. Outside of the gimmick aspect which can be whatever you want it to be - (VR, Waggle, Portable screen, Smaller portable screen with lego controllers) the core philosophy is the same - Strong first party content and ummm thats it. The dwindling 3rd party content continues to put them into a downward trend and imo will continue Nintendo bleeding out until they really are forced to abandon hardware because they honestly aren't good at it and they can't offset the 3rd party advantage and compete with the marketing those titles get. Someone said this and I completely agree that they will never ever again be a primary console with the masses they will always be a secondary console. Thats fine when your Samsung chasing the leftover iphone market thats plenty to sustain you. With videogames though there isn't enough of that pie to go around.

xaFsV6E.jpg

My chart - Polygon Approved!

I never had a Wii U but my brother did and he had Mario Kart. I plan on getting Mario Kart for the Switch next month.

I'm Sure there are a lot people that got a Switch that never had a Wii U. Mario Kart is probably in their list of games to get.

You mean to tell me Mario Kart won't sell zero copies? Well you don't say.
Sorry I'm turning into a sarcastic dick and I apologize I'm feeling a bit tipsy. My graph is solid though!!

guek

Banned
LOL

http://i.imgur.com/xaFsV6E.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Use your big boy words. You made a lot of factually inaccurate statements about the Wii U as a piece of hardware. I said nothing about sales, but if I had, I would have pointed out the obvious blind spot caused by completely ignoring the performance of their portable handhelds, a position that the Switch holds concurrently with its status as a home console.

edit: maybe you shouldn't engage in debates while drinking since it makes trying to have an actual discussion with you a waste of time. There are generalizations that you're making that paint an inaccurate picture but there's no point talking about them.

BillyJack

Banned
Use your big boy words. You made a lot of factually inaccurate statements about the Wii U as a piece of hardware. I said nothing about sales, but if I had, I would have pointed out the obvious blind spot caused by completely ignoring the performance of their portable handhelds, a position that the Switch currently holds concurrently with its status as a home console.

Hahaha this is the best post yet...Umm you completed high school soo I don't know how to respond but I will say they have handhelds and action figures that sell so THERE!

As I said earlier guek i'm being a bit of an ahole but I'm still right! Though I love your avatar and think you are a swell guy. I'm not attacking the user Guek but instead the post Guek has chosen to enter into this thread

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha this is the best post yet...Umm you completed high school soo I don't know how to respond but I will say they have handhelds and action figures that sell so THERE!

As I said earlier guek i'm being a bit of an ahole but I'm still right! Though I love your avatar and think you are a swell guy. I'm not attacking the user Guek but instead the post Guek has chosen to enter into this thread

The Wii actually had amazing sales for 3rd parties, just not the games you wanted.

Sorry you are wrong and so is your revisionist history. Take it to Trump next time, he'll believe you.

BillyJack

Banned
The Wii actually had amazing sales for 3rd parties, just not the games you wanted.

Sorry you are wrong and so is your revisionist history. Take it to Trump next time, he'll believe you.

I don't think you know how Trump operates. If you did you would know that he says a passerby comment such as - "My phone is being bugged by Obama. It might not be the Obama you know as Barrack but that's your opinion" a comment with no supported facts whatsoever. Between the two of us - me and you who's post mimics that style.....OH WAIT

ITS YOU!!

fakeedit

Jpop was really a username not taken?
In all the years Pop Gaf has been active??? Wild

All of you take a time out while I enjoy my awesome Switch console, which I tenderly call *Melissa*

I know I will fall in love with Zelda in a way that hasn't happened since OOT but that doesn't change the fact I still think its on its way out.

Orbital did you get demoted or is this a fan account of yours?

guek

Banned

no worries, at least you're being up front about the alcohol driving your posts. salud

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think you know how Trump operates. If you did you would know that he says a passerby comment such as - "My phone is being bugged by Obama. It might not be the Obama you know as Barrack but that's your opinion" a comment with no supported facts whatsoever. Between the two of us - me and you who's post mimics that style.....OH WAIT

ITS YOU!!

Sorry.

There are data metrics to back up how well 3rd parties did on the Wii. You can play an ignorant, sarcastic asshole, just like Trump, but that wont make your opinion correct or factual

BillyJack

Banned
no worries, at least you're being up front about the alcohol driving your posts. salud

Salud bro. I haven't started drinking yet but I surely will.

Sorry. There are data metrics to back up how well 3rd parties did on the Wii. You can play an ignorant, sarcastic asshole, just like Trump, but that wont make your opinion right.

Who told you Obama tapped the phone lines?
My electrician told me he heard another guy on the other end of the line while talking to me that distinctly sounded like Barrack!
Who was the electrician?
I think it was Donal...UMM no uh D..... uh T.... YEAH DT.
DT?
Yeah that was him he saw Obama tapping the phones
Wait wait wait he saw him!?
Yeah he had a tiny hammer and was just tapping away.
Mr Trump were you that electrician?
What!.. NO!! Me! No way. It wasn't just one electrician it was the whole electrician union! They have data somewhere.... I don't have the data but they have IT!!

You voted for Trump didn't you? It's okay you can admit it to me in PM I won't tell a soul
Ill tell everyone

You mean to tell me Mario Kart won't sell zero copies? Well you don't say.

What's your point? Do you have some proof that MK8 will have mediocre Sales on the Switch? MK games sell well. They even sold well on a momentumless low selling Wii U. Which ultimately means not that many people played it. There's a good chance a lot of Switch owners didn't even play it. And considering the focus on the new battle mode and that it's Nintendo's big game for April, it'll probably do pretty well.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Salud bro. I haven't started drinking yet but I surely will.

Who told you Obama tapped the phone lines?
My electrician told me he heard another guy on the other end of the line while talking to me that distinctly sounded like Barrack!
Who was the electrician?
I think it was Donal...UMM no uh D..... uh T.... YEAH DT.
DT?
Yeah that was him he saw Obama tapping the phones
Wait wait wait he saw him!?
Yeah he had a tiny hammer and was just tapping away.
Mr Trump were you that electrician?
What!.. NO!! Me! No way. It wasn't just one electrician it was the whole electrician union! They have data somewhere.... I have the data but they have IT!!

You voted for Trump didn't you? It's okay you can admit it to me in PM I won't tell a soul
Ill tell everyone

I dont understand why you are trying to deflect by being a dumbass? You arent amusing or clever.

Your uninformed posts did a well enough job as portraying you as one already.

BillyJack

Banned
I dont understand why you are trying to deflect by being a dumbass? You arent amusing or clever.

Your uninformed posts did a well enough job as portraying you as one already.

I am actually both.
Amusing and clever just in case you didn't know which two things I was referring to.
Also did it really take you 10 minutes to write that response? Come on don't pretend your doing anything better your riled up enough I bet you spell checked portraying about 5 times before posting. Wait portrayal is a real word but to portray is that correct? Hmmm oh shit is it uninformed or informed? He is informed right and I'm uniformed...Yeah I think thats it. Actually I'll go ask my mom real quick.

I'm just playing with you kid.
Here is a tip for life though. Don't bring politics into a thread it just comes off a bit desperate. Another pro tip and I feel like you need this one because I believe you could potentially say it. Don't under any circumstances compare anyone or anything in a thread to Hitler. I know it doesn't make sense now but just trust me on this one.

cool. Now please stop derailing the thread. thanks.

BTT: the next few months will be interesting. And yes, Arms is a wild card. maybe the next Splatoon :p.Do we expect a May release?

Its the last one I swear! Well unless he compares me to Hitler which I have to be honest feels imminent.

Soul Lab

I am actually both.
Amusing and clever just in case you didn't know which two things I was referring to.
Also did it really take you 10 minutes to write that response? Come on don't pretend your doing anything better your riled up enough I bet you spell checked portraying about 5 times before posting? Wait portrayal is a real word but to portray is that correct? Hmmm oh shit is in uninformed or informed?

BTT: the next few months will be interesting. And yes, Arms is a wild card. maybe the next Splatoon :p.Do we expect a May release?

Branduil

Mario Kart is releasing late April, so I expect late May/early June for ARMS, and then mid/late July for Splatoon 2.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

I expect Mario Kart to carry most of the load passing some of the weight off to Splatoon and then gauging if ARMS can carry itself.

I want ARMS to do well.

Vinnk

It feels to me the Splatoon 2 is almost done as they will have the testfire this month. ARMS seems farther from being done since we have only seen a few characters and modes. Yet ARMS is the one scheduled to be out first.

If I were Nintendo I'd get Spatoon out ASAP to keep momentum going and give ARMS a bit more time in the oven so that when it does come out it can establish itself as a new IP.

jrDev

Yup! I am getting Mario Kart next month!

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Can you show numbers?

Im on my phone, so I can't and I dont have a historical database of sales anymore.

Im sure many GAFFers could supply that to you though.

Vinnk

Lots of 3rd parties made money off the Wii with shovelware. It was like the PS2 all over again. Some of these games were actually pretty fun but none were AAA titles. And the low cost of making them meant they didn't need to sell that many units to make a profit.

Successful 3rd party games off the top of my head:

Carnival games
Boom Blox
Most Lego games sold better on the Wii
Just Dance series
Game Party series
Guitar Hero (sold best on 360 but not bad on Wii)
Deca Sports Series
Resident Evil 4 port
Monster Hunter Tri (but the 3ds port sold better)
All the Rabbids games
EA Sports Active
The first De Blob (but not the 2nd)

And there were plenty more.

Selling higher than Wii's launch is huge. Especially in March. The cynic in me thinks the Wii would have sold more if it wasn't supply constrained.

No its not. Some approximate numbers since people seem to forget how supply constrained the Wii was:

NPD debut month:

Wii - 475k
WiiU - 425k
3DS - <400k
PS4 - 1138k
XB1 - 909k

Really, the PR statement falls apart once you see how Nintendo's launches in the one month term have never been anything impressive.

Lots of 3rd parties made money off the Wii with shovelware. It was like the PS2 all over again. Some of these games were actually pretty fun but none were AAA titles. And the low cost of making them meant they didn't need to sell that many units to make a profit.

Successful 3rd party games off the top of my head:

Carnival games
Boom Blox
Most Lego games sold better on the Wii
Just Dance series
Game Party series
Guitar Hero (sold best on 360 but not bad on Wii)
Deca Sports Series
Resident Evil 4 port
Monster Hunter Tri (but the 3ds port sold better)
All the Rabbids games
EA Sports Active
The first De Blob (but not the 2nd)

And there were plenty more.
boomblox was so great...

jonno394

No its not. Some approximate numbers since people seem to forget how supply constrained the Wii was:

NPD debut month:

Wii - 475k
WiiU - 425k
3DS - <400k
PS4 - 1138k
XB1 - 909k

Really, the PR statement falls apart once you see how Nintendo's launches in the one month term have never been anything impressive.

Xbox One and PS4 are exceptional results when you look at the history of launches. They released following the longest gen ever and the thirst for them was there from the outset, unlike with the WIi U.

Wii U and Wii both sold more than PS3 and Xbox 360 launches by quite some margin iirc.

Shiggy

Xbox One and PS4 are exceptional results when you look at the history of launches. They released following the longest gen ever and the thirst for them was there from the outset, unlike with the WIi U.

Wii U and Wii both sold more than PS3 and Xbox 360 launches by quite some margin iirc.

Yeah, to compare, the launch numbers of some other systems:
X360 - 326,000
PS3 -- 197,000

PS360 had horrible launches in the one month time frame.

Also those were holiday launches and they were able to keep up with the demand

takriel

The Switch is already awesome because I can play Zelda on the go. It will be even more awesome once Mario hits in the Holiday season. The Switch is off to a great first year.

vern

PS3 was sold out, you forgot? :p

Lol.

I worked at a Toys R Us "r" zone during 360/PS3/wii launches.

We got 6 PS3s and sold 3 of them if I'm not mistaken, in the first few days. Then some scummy dude with a shitty suit came in trying to look all professional and tried to buy two of them with fake visa gift cards. He had a bunch of them, I guess loaded with stolen credit card data or something.... I sent him away and called the police. We couldn't move our first batch of ps3s for a week or so.

Wii on the other hand, had 66 consoles on day one. Our little storage room was full of Wii towers. We were sold out before noon. And that was before the craze really exploded. Wild times.

360 sold out day one. 18 consoles I believe. About half in the green box (4gb?? Lol)

Can't wait to get a switch and Zelda soon. Plenty of stock in my current location (shanghai), just shit pricing currently. The sellers told me it'll be cheaper next week, lots of demand so they are selling it currently at about 430 US dollar for Japanese systems. And it'll be around retail price in April. I can wait. Barely.

Top Bottom