• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times report Switch sales in North America (from interview with Reggie)

jackal27

Banned
The Wii U actually got off to a fine start by the numbers. November looked great. December showed some warning signs, but was otherwise still solid. It wasn't until January that the wheels came off and the thing crashed.
True. Nintendo isn't out of the fire yet. If I had to guess, the next couple of months are going to look like gloom and doom since there isn't a ton coming out. Once Splatoon 2 hits, it'll get a nice boost, and then the holidays are going to do very well. Maybe not incredible, but solid.

No but from what it sounds like the Switch didn't do that much better. Even though the Switch is the best console launch in Nintendo's history, Wii, Wii U and Switch were all pretty close it sounds like.

It does seem worth noting that Wii and Wii-U had fall releases though! I'd argue that the timing of Switch's launch makes these numbers even more impressive by comparison. That being said, this holiday will be make or break time for Switch. It needs to do incredibly well given the software they'll have out by then.

True. Nintendo isn't out of the fire yet. If I had to guess, the next couple of months are going to look like gloom and doom since there isn't a ton coming out. Once Splatoon 2 hits, it'll get a nice boost, and then the holidays are going to do very well. Maybe not incredible, but solid.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is next month. It'll do decently with that.

Dekuboy

Neo Member
Just wait till Pokemon drops.

- Pokemon
- Splatoon
- Dragon Quest

now only missing:
- Monster hunter
- Yokai Watch
- shadowverse and other android/ios games. (But switch got the rhytm game, so I think there is a chance)

With this, Nintendo is ready to conquer Japan.

JB2448

That's a remake though
Of a game that previously only came out on a system that had already lost the mainstream line of sight. This is coming out during the Switch's second month on the market, and with all of the DLC included. With the proper marketing of being able to play Mario Kart with a friend anywhere with nothing extra required, it could do really, really well.

We'll get a better idea once it's not supply constrained, but the switch seems to have an excitement behind it that the Wii u did not. My local best buys Nintendo switch area looks like it was rampaged and looted, not even any accessories left.

Wait, it surpassed Wii's launch numbers?? That...seems unreal. The Wii hype was absolutely palpable. Might have been the xmas frenzy, but no console launch has ever felt like it had that level of excitement surrounding it from my experience.

Jeels

I think it really depends on what Nintendo has planned. They have been vague about releases.

Right now Mario Kart 8 is in April and you can expect that to do well.

But Arms is announced as Spring, and Splatoon 2 as summer.

If that means
ARMS - June
Splatoon - September

You have a big problem with a drought..

If that means
ARMS - May
Splatoon - June

and more titles announced at E3 to pad out July-whenever Mario (and hopefully Pokemon) is out in the Holidays, then things will be fine.

If there really is a Pokemon stars that + Mario + Zelda + Splatoon + Kart will carry this thing into next year

Honestly though I think the former (no Splatoon until September, and a big drought during the summer) is somewhat likely and that worries me...

Square2015

So what were the sales for Mario 64? We can figure out the minimum for Zelda from that.
I have the Sept 96 NPD (FW sales of N64, last week of month):

1. Super Mario 64 282,000
4. Pilotwings 64 64 85,000

N64 326,000

Any more NPD #s I'd be glad to share.

BillyJack

Banned
I can't wait to jump into Zelda once I'm done with HZD but you guys listing Mario Kart and ARMs as reasons why Switch will carry momentum are delusional. It will peak these two months and fall off a cliff until the holidays

I can't wait to jump into Zelda once I'm done with HZD but you guys listing Mario Kart and ARMs as reasons why Switch will carry momentum are delusional. It will peak these two months and fall off a cliff until the holidays

Yeah because Mario Kart and Splatoon have no appeal at all..

What month is it?

We don't know, all we've been given is a tentative summer release date. If I had a guess, it'd be sometime in July.

Rgeardless, you can't really say that sales will "fall off a cliff until the holidays" considering that Nintendo will already have at least one big game out before that period.

BillyJack

Banned
We don't know, all we've been given is a tentative summer release date. If I had a guess, it'd be sometime in July.

Rgeardless, you can't really say that sales will "fall off a cliff until the holidays" considering that Nintendo will already have at least one big game out before that period.

What game?

Branduil

I think it really depends on what Nintendo has planned. They have been vague about releases.

Right now Mario Kart 8 is in April and you can expect that to do well.

But Arms is announced as Spring, and Splatoon 2 as summer.

If that means
ARMS - June
Splatoon - September

You have a big problem with a drought..

If that means
ARMS - May
Splatoon - June

and more titles announced at E3 to pad out July-whenever Mario (and hopefully Pokemon) is out in the Holidays, then things will be fine.

If there really is a Pokemon stars that + Mario + Zelda + Splatoon + Kart will carry this thing into next year

Honestly though I think the former (no Splatoon until September, and a big drought during the summer) is somewhat likely and that worries me...
I can't imagine Splatoon 2 releasing after July. No way does Nintendo plan on missing summer vacation in Japan.

phanphare

Banned
I forgot those historic months when MK8 and Splatoon released and drove the Wii-U sales through the roof. Oh wait a second

it's almost like the Wii U was an unappealing machine that people didn't want to buy regardless of the games that it had on it not to mention said games released at a very slow clip

SgtCobra

Wait, it surpassed Wii's launch numbers?? That...seems unreal. The Wii hype was absolutely palpable. Might have been the xmas frenzy, but no console launch has ever felt like it had that level of excitement surrounding it from my experience.
The Wii had major stock problems, I remember it not readily being available for months.

BillyJack

Banned
it's almost like the Wii U was an unappealing machine that people didn't want to buy regardless of the games that it had on it not to mention said games released at a very slow clip

I agree that it was an unappealing system but it's still a game that already released. It's not a system seller

Vinnk

What month is it right now?

I forgot those historic months when MK8 and Splatoon released and drove the Wii-U sales through the roof. Oh wait a second

Well MK Wii had a big impact on the Wii (another system people were hyped about) and Splatoon turned the Wii U story around for several months in Japan (and didn't sell too bad in other regions).

Not saying that will happen again, but we shouldn't use WiiU as a precedent and ignore the Wii.

Celine

No but from what it sounds like the Switch didn't do that much better. Even though the Switch is the best console launch in Nintendo's history, Wii, Wii U and Switch were all pretty close it sounds like.
Launch days sales don't matter much in the grand scale (Switch sales in the first 18 months are more telling about its future for instance).
However for the markets we have the sell-through for the launch, Switch performed better than WiiU, markedly so in Countries like UK and France (at least 100% more):

France
Switch: 105K
WiiU: 45K

UK
Switch: 80K
WiiU: 40K

Japan:
Switch: 331K
WiiU: 309K

Mory Dunz

Not a re-release no way. MK8 did nothing to boost Wii U sales. It sold within a closed eco system which is absolutely what this one will do

maybe, it's hard to say.

But considering the the way they've been advertising MK8D so far (with it so far out), they seem to think it will be big.

They don't seem to through marketing weight around very often, so for now, I'll agree with them that it has good sales potential. All we really have to go off so far is Comgnet preorders, so we'll see.

BillyJack

Banned
Lots of people said that for Zelda BOTW and look what we have now.

Those people are nuts. An open world Zelda come on. I haven't been a Nintendo fan since the Wii but even I knew I was day1 for switch and OW Zelda.

maybe, it's hard to say.

But considering the the way they've been advertising MK8D so far (with it so far out), they seem to think it will be big.

They don't seem to through marketing weight around very often, so for now, I'll agree with them that it has good sales potential. All we really have to go off so far is Comgnet preorders, so we'll see.

Of course they are nothing else is releasing. That's not a indication of confidence but necessity

Well MK Wii had a big impact on the Wii (another system people were hyped about) and Splatoon turned the Wii U story around for several months in Japan (and didn't sell too bad in other regions).

Not saying that will happen again, but we shouldn't use WiiU as a precedent and ignore the Wii.

Yes you should. The Wii should never be used as a barometer as it was a gimmick that caught the attention of the main stream and casual market and in a way that hasn't happened since. Nothing about the Switch is even remotely close to mirroring that casual excitement. A new amazing Zelda came out on a new system nothing more nothing less.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think Mario Kart is going to do fine, since it is on a brand new system, and people will be looking for a reason to buy a Switch which is doing well currently. It didn't become a reason for many as Wii U has been out for quite a while by then, and the future of the Wii U back then isn't as bright as Nintendo Switch now.

rekameohs

Banned
Not a re-release no way. MK8 did nothing to boost Wii U sales. It sold within a closed eco system which is absolutely what this one will do
I think with the large swath of diehard fans that will double dip and a very, very big market that had no idea the Wii U even existed, Mario Kart will do fine.

Branduil

The Wii U was essentially already dead by the time Mario Kart, Smash, Mario Maker, and Splatoon came out. If the Switch gets all of those games in its first year, in addition to BotW, Mario Odyssey, and maybe a Pokemon game, that will go a long way towards averting the Wii U's failure.

Mory Dunz

The Wii U was essentially already dead by the time Mario Kart, Smash, Mario Maker, and Splatoon came out. If the Switch gets all of those games in its first year, in addition to BotW, Mario Odyssey, and maybe a Pokemon game, that will go a long way towards averting the Wii U's failure.

True. NSMBU didn't seem to have the effect they desired. Probably due to NSMB2 and SM3DL existing so 3DS owners maybe not having a reason to get the console.

So it took a year for 3D Mario to come out and then 1.5 years for Mario Kart. And then 2 for Smash.

If Switch manages to get Pokemon, it'll have a multiplat Zelda with obvious Switch focus as shown by sales splits, MK8D which may drive sales we'll see, Splatoon 2 which will be big, ARMS which is a wildcard, Pokemon which is fire, and Mario Odyssey which is huge.
Within 9 months.

The key things are Zelda doing to expectations, Pokemon existing, Mario doing expectations, Splatoon 2 likewise, MK8D doing well, and a game to do better than expectations (FE W, ARMs, etc)

Vinnk

Yes you should. The Wii should never be used as a barometer as it was a gimmick that caught the attention of the main stream and casual market and in a way that hasn't happened since. Nothing about the Switch is even remotely close to mirroring that casual excitement. A new amazing Zelda came out on a new system nothing more nothing less.

If we agree to not use the Wii as a barometer we should also not use the WiiU. As both are outliers.

But we shall see I suppose.

I don't see how anyone can make absolute statements this early. Either positive or negative. There just aren't enough data points.

If we agree to not use the Wii as a barometer we should also not use the WiiU. As both are outliers.

I don't see how anyone can make absolute statements this early. Either positive or negative. There just aren't enough data points.
The GameCube, then?

BillyJack

Banned

How was Wii U an outlier? If anything the Wii was an outlier. Nintendo hasn't been at the forefront of the console market in more than a decade. The Wii U was a return to form. Hardware that was if were going to be kind - subpar with a fair number of excellent first party games and pretty much a barren 3rd party landscape. It continued the downward trend that had been going on since the N64, the Wii is a freak scattershot.

Banned
Selling higher than Wii's launch is huge. Especially in March. The cynic in me thinks the Wii would have sold more if it wasn't supply constrained.

Mory Dunz

Pokken with DLC would've been the perfect stop gap game. Either for now until MK8, or for MK8 until Splatoon (if ARMs doesn't sell). It just makes too much since, especially given the DLC situation.

It'd be up to Namco though.
I feel like all they would need is the DLC, and a better resolution (rez is already dynamic). It wouldn't be ideal for remaster content, but getting games out is the priority imo.

I've learned to never say this stuff about Nintendo. They'll release it in 2018 if the fuckin want to.

Yeah, trying to predict Nintendo is foolish. In the case of release schedule, though, they're not bonkers like they are about many other things. They're just really slow.

guek

Banned
How was Wii U an outlier? If anything the Wii was an outlier. Nintendo hasn't been at the forefront of the console market in more than a decade. The Wii U was a return to form. Hardware that was if were going to be kind - subpar with a fair number of excellent first party games and pretty much a barren 3rd party landscape. It continued the downward trend that had been going on since the N64, the Wii is a freak scattershot.

The Wii U was as much of an outlier as the Wii. You're hawking some seriously revisionist history here. From a hardware standpoint, the Wii U philosophy was most like the Wii but without a compelling hook for the expanded audience. Its design philosophy was nothing like the GC, 64, SNES, or NES. Wii U was also the first nintendo console to not have strong third party support. The Wii did not get many major multiplats because of hardware limitations but it got a substantial amount of third party content because of its installed base alone. The GC even had great third party support with multiplat parity being the norm until the last 1-2 years or so when it dried up. Get your facts straight.

Selling higher than Wii's launch is huge. Especially in March. The cynic in me thinks the Wii would have sold more if it wasn't supply constrained.

Well, a 2-day launch window isn't going to give us the best picture but it is encouraging.It'll be kind of a tall order to surpass Wii's first month.

I can't wait to see what the NS musters up for the month. Shame we have to wait an entire month for news.

Top Bottom