• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times report Switch sales in North America (from interview with Reggie)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So not the same game, not the same content? To Wikipedia, Wii U just gained a shit ton of exclusives.

Third games had entirely different stories. your definition of the same game is quite absurd. Might as well call the various versions of Assassin's creed 2 the same game.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Third games had entirely different stories. your definition of the same game is quite absurd. Might as well call the various versions of Assassin's creed 2 the same game.
Then the answer to the question why it isn't a port is that is has a different story, not whatever you cooked up in your first reply.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
We'll probably get numbers for NA at NPD like usual. if Nintendo bothers to put out a statement it will most likely be worldwide sales

Then the answer to the question why it isn't a port is that is has a different story, not whatever you cooked up in your first reply.

That was implied. Not my fault I assumed you knew what the 3rd version of a pokemon game entailed befre you went off that nonsense tangent.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That was implied. Not my fault I assumed you knew what the 3rd version of a pokemon game entailed befre you went off that nonsense tangent.
Yeah sure, someone asking for clarification when there is disagreement clearly knew all about this topic.

Why did I ask if I knew the answer? Maybe next time don't imply with a wishy washy non-answer when a clarification is requested.

justchris

First week is First week. A sale week is Monday through Sunday. Its doesnt adjust to a console's date

Mostly all consoles launch on a Friday, all those number you see for "first week" as just those 3 days. Switch is exclusive in this regard.

I know right off that those PS4 number arent even 3 days but 2

Aren't these Japan numbers though? I thought their sale week was measured Sunday-Saturday, so it'd be two days for all the consoles listed.

Cerium

If mario launch is for holidays I doubt that. A zelda bundle is something I can see, but if we get any it will probably be with 12Switch or something like that.
Zelda bundle with gold Joy-Cons and the
Expansion Pass included.

If mario launch is for holidays I doubt that. A zelda bundle is something I can see, but if we get any it will probably be with 12Switch or something like that.

I think the best bet would be to pack in MK8 deluxe for the holiday. It was already a pack-in on WiiU, and getting to advertise that you get 2-player Mario Kart out of the box? That's a very enticing offer for families.

I think the best bet would be to pack in MK8 deluxe for the holiday. It was already a pack-in on WiiU, and getting to advertise that you get 2-player Mario Kart out of the box? That's a very enticing offer for families.

That would be my pick as well for a pack-in. Mario Odyssey is going sell boatloads on its own so no need for them to bundle. Someone above mentioned a Zelda bundle with gold Joycons, I'd be all over that if they went that route.

hoserx

Just fed this info to our morning drive host. If you want to hear someone talk about Switch, tune to WTAM 1100 Cleveland on iheartradio at 7:50am EST. (in 12 mins)

Luq

Doesnt mean such since there's a huge gap between units shipped "now" (Switch) and "then" (Wii) in the initial days.

If Wii and Switch would get same release in terms of supplies then we could compare them. Otherwise it's just funny little trivia which doesn't reflect anything.

That would be my pick as well for a pack-in. Mario Odyssey is going sell boatloads on its own so no need for them to bundle. Someone above mentioned a Zelda bundle with gold Joycons, I'd be all over that if they went that route.

The thing with 3D Mario... It doesn't really sell the same way Mario Kart, Pokemon and 2D Mario do. I think a Mario Kart bundle is the surest path to success!

Scrawnton

The thing with 3D Mario... It doesn't really sell the same way Mario Kart, Pokemon and 2D Mario do. I think a Mario Kart bundle is the surest path to success!
It'll be a Splatoon 2 bundle. You don't want to bundle your new system with a three year old game. That doesn't send that great a message.

EVH

Forgot about MK. That is indeed a better bubdle.

Perhaps, but if Odyssey winds up as a spiritual successor to 64 I can see it selling better than past 3D Marios.

It'll be a Splatoon 2 bundle. You don't want to bundle your new system with a three year old game. That doesn't send that great a message.

Mario Kart 8 isn't technically a new game( for those who owned it on Wii U), but relatively few people played it. There's going to be many Switch owners who skipped Wii U entirely, so it's 'new' to them as an experience. If Splatoon 2 sells well I wouldn't expect it to start turning up in bundles till 2018 at the earliest. 1-2 Switch is going to wind up being a common bundle, whether it's Nintendo or retailer specific.

Getting off to a good start was doubly important after the Wii U. Glad it has managed it.

Launch really isn't that important, the Wii U did great at launch it just had no games after launch, the Switch doesn't really either.

There's nothing big until April 28th now, that's quite a while with no big game releases.

thefro

Launch really isn't that important, the Wii U did great at launch it just had no games after launch, the Switch doesn't really either.

There's nothing big until April 28th now, that's quite a while with no big game releases.

The difference is there's a pretty solid list of games coming out on the eShop, a few smaller retail releases, and the Splatoon 2 Testfire in the gap before Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Wii U had a horrific drought. Only 5 games (4 eShop games & 1 retail) between Dec 12, 2012 & March 17, 2013 in North America.

Lego City Undercover could do pretty well.

LordKano

You're being completely dishonest if you think that Switch's line-up for the first year is anything like the Wii U one.

phanphare

Banned

compared to the Wii U nothing big until April 28th is like being showered with games relatively speaking

Wii U got MH3U and Lego City in between November 2012 and August 2013 and it sure as hell didn't have a launch title like Breath of the Wild or loads of indie games being drip fed post launch

night and day my friend, night and day

Futureman

I really hope we get a new flagship 2D Mario on Switch that uses a new art style. Some kind of water color/impressionistic look.

Interfectum

The Wii U broke Nintendo's hardware records worldwide?

I was going to initially return my Switch and buy it later down the line but I don't think I can, I love it too much. Hope the system sees the success of consoles previous to Wii u. Gamecube was my last nintendo home console and I hope they bring on strong first party games to keep up the sales.

Futureman

The Wii U broke Nintendo's hardware records worldwide?

No but from what it sounds like the Switch didn't do that much better. Even though the Switch is the best console launch in Nintendo's history, Wii, Wii U and Switch were all pretty close it sounds like.

jorgejjvr

Switch has a new Zelda, a new Mario, a new splatoon, a new iP with Arms.

A amazing port MK8, possibly xenoblade 2, 60+ indies, all in year 1 (less than a year since we are in March).

This is about 3-4 years of wii u content into months. Many heavy hitters and great games in one year, and that's not counting e3 announcements

If the manage at least one major release each month, I think they will be fine. I know people new jumping into mk8 and others double dipping due to battle mode.

A holiday with Mario and all of these games out, should do well for switch

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wish they'd comment on how fast they plan on restocking, and if it's just gonna be a drip feed.

Shit is basically sold out everywhere in most territories around the world (obviously there are some random exceptions).

qko

This is reminding me so much about the 3DS launch, except if launch had happened when Ocarina of Time was released. You had a small eshop set up, minimal VC service, Couple of N64 ports lined up (OoT, Starfox64) and then boom, E3 announced with 3D Mario Land, Mario Kart 7 announced and later the Monster Hunter to 3DS reveal in September.

Seems like the best time to buy will be between now and late September. Even if Nintendo messes something up along the way, they have enough time between now and the holidays to fix it.

Getting off to a good start was doubly important after the Wii U. Glad it has managed it.

The Wii U actually got off to a fine start by the numbers. November looked great. December showed some warning signs, but was otherwise still solid. It wasn't until January that the wheels came off and the thing crashed.

Top Bottom