• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times report Switch sales in North America (from interview with Reggie)

Bgamer90

Banned
Really love my Switch. Happy to see this news. Hoping the system will continue to do solid as more games release.

Big One

Banned
I mean if you pay attention to the hype behind it this is really no big surprise. Anyone who thought this would do Wii U numbers was fooling themselves.

Seems like they did good turning initial hype into sales.

Interested to see how they try and maintain momentum and make a case for the many like myself who are still waiting for a good reason to jump in.

Not sure Spla2n in the summer will be enough, but holiday Mario could be huge.

Ossom

GAF loves numbers, no numbers makes me sad

beating Wii 2 day sale is not huge is it?

was Wii hot day 1? I can't remember that far

In the UK I remember it being a big deal. Launching with Zelda helped too. But there was really restricted stock for months so it is hard to tell what that first weekend number was.

Good news though. I hope it continues steadily throughout the year and then adds a few million when Mario launches.

StAidan

I'm surprised it beat the Wii, but regardless this is a well-deserved success. I haven't been this excited about a console since the Wii, and the NES before that. This is a truly special system.

Josh5890

Awesome. Now lock it down with a great virtual console service, and announce one or two more big games and 2017 is a great launch year for Switch.

Agreed on the Virtual Console. I think that if Nintendo has one more "semi-big title" for Fall to go with Mario and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is actually happening this year then Nintendo is looking great.

Portugeezer

We can't take too much from this, even the Wii U had a good launch if I remember correctly... Wasn't as good as Wii though. A good start for the Switch, Nintendo just have to keep the momentum going with well spaced out releases and system updates.

Seik

Banned
Hopefully the train keeps on rolling that way in the long term.

Love my Switch so far and Zelda is..well it's legendary! :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That's...promising. It means people found it exciting

I really want to see what Splatoon 2 does to sales, and then the holiday bump after that, before we know if its on a good trajectory or not

Good for Nintendo.

And as pointed out by Zhuge, seem they are only comparing it against other home consoles (which the Switch definitely is), and not their handhelds

Also Wii had supply issues at launch, the big sale numbers came after, mostly through word of mouth between the casual crowd (and their day time shows)

I wonder if that's intentional. The GBA holds the record for first month sales of a Nintendo system in the US, at 870k. That doesn't necessarily mean it had the highest first two days, since the article mentions the Wii is next best, but the Gamecube's first month is much higher than Wii's (647k vs. 476k).

But still, "second best to the GBA" isn't good PR, so why not spin a bit if that's the case?

So what were the sales for Mario 64? We can figure out the minimum for Zelda from that.

I've never seen "first two days" figures for anything in the NA / US market. Sometimes for Japan.

For what it's worth, 1st month sales for the N64 was 327k. Gotta figure Mario was sold with most of those, since it was one of only two games available.

We can't take too much from this, even the Wii U had a good launch if I remember correctly... Wasn't as good as Wii though. A good start for the Switch, Nintendo just have to keep the momentum going with well spaced out releases and system updates.

Nothing this early means much. The Gamecube outsold the Wii by a lot its launch month. But it didn't sell out, and the Wii did. Switch is sold out in some places. Probably a pretty good start.

cordy

Banned
I'm so happy for them. Man, never thought it would sell this well. I'll be getting mine in the next few months hopefully.

hoserx

Doesn't the Switch?

It's hard to make a comparison as the reporter says.

When I got my Wii, the Wal Mart I was in line at for 15 hours had 11 tickets. 11 Wiis other than preorders. The local Wal Mart here had almost 70 switches in addition to whatever they had preordered. So, anecdotally, at my store (Parma, OH), had way more stock of Switch than Wii on launch.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Though as big as this is, there's probably gonna be big dip in sales for a while. Kinda expected with the whole "We ain't releasing jackshit until summer" thing Nintendo is doing.

Wii was actually supply constrained for 2 years, I believe. Not many devices can say that in world history.

I bought a 360 and Wii on the same day, five months after the Wii's launch. Went out to buy a 360 at Best Buy, they didn't have a cable I needed, went to Target for the cable, and saw the Wii in stock for the first time anywhere since the launch. Only time I ever bought a system on impulse.

NSESN

Remember, the switch version alone outsold Mario 64, the Wii U version should do pretty good too. Maybe best Zelda launch ever in US?

Iacobellis

I think the Wii was hyped from day one. While beating able to beat Nintendo's best-selling console is a definite feat, it's not a 1:1 comparison based on how much easier manufacturing is nowadays. Unless Nintendo somehow hits a bump in the road, it won't be like previous launches where a new system is consistently sold out for months. PS4 and Xbox One both did a million in the first 24 hours but were relatively easy to find into 2014.

They were always going to sell out day 1 stock. It seems like they did produce more of these for launch than their other systems so it made it the largest launch in terms of console sales. How will they sell a month from now is the big question. I tend to think that after scalpers and die hard nintendo fans scoop up theirs, the numbers will plummet. This doesn't seem to be garnering much enthusiasm on the resale market, which shows lack of interest. PS4s were going for double their retail price on craigslist after release.

Yessss! This bolds well for the potential of the system, and further sales. I hope word of mouth really drives this system places. My coworker just saw me turn on Zelda, and immediately said, "Wow, I don't even play games, and I want to buy one right now."

Let's see if it can keep up the pace..

Edit: Jumping the gun a bit, though. Still wanna see these numbers. Lol.

I have my doubts.

I think the potential is likely in a successor to the switch which my guess will be seen side by side to whatever Sony and MS cook up next (whether it be PS5/XB4, etc) Welcome to the stop gap generation.

I bought a 360 and Wii on the same day, five months after the Wii's launch. Went out to buy a 360 at Best Buy, they didn't have a cable I needed, went to Target for the cable, and saw the Wii in stock for the first time anywhere since the launch. Only time I ever bought a system on impulse.

Yeah if you were in active search or accidental search, you got one in that period. But it was a really long slog. I recall multiple holiday periods of challenge for people and absurd ebay resale values.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Well deserved, my Switch & copy of Zelda were already worth every penny.

Hope this bodes well for a continued healthy premium handheld market from Nintendo!

Oregano

Though as big as this is, there's probably gonna be big dip in sales for a while. Kinda expected with the whole "We ain't releasing jackshit until summer" thing Nintendo is doing.

Even though it's an enhanced port MK8 is out at the end of next month. That's still a decentish size title and then Arms is some point between then and summer.

Josh5890

Well, Mario Kart, ARMS, and Splatoon should do well to give the Switch the start it needs.

Dueck

Banned
I would agree if we were analyzing the first couple of months of the console. Not the first two days

As you said, its prob selling almost on par with stock amount anyway

Yeah, new consoles generate extra interest because nobody has one yet. The first few batches are virtually meaningless as an indicator of anything. If it sells out at launch it can still flop, and if it doesn't it could be a slow burn that heats up a year or more in. I don't think anyone can say one way or another for at least a few more months. Honestly, I'd give it a year, let it see a holiday season. The hardware flaws and Wii U ports aren't doing it any favours though.

I was very excited about what it might have been until the unveiling, but I am definitely not convinced at this point. I was more impressed by the Wii U. I think some people just want to like it, so they do. That's the kind of appreciation that tends to fade. Launches usually lack substance, but this is rough.

Top Bottom