• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times report Switch sales in North America (from interview with Reggie)

ethomaz

Banned
Let's break a bit...

- SW Better than Wii in first 2 days? 250-350k (Wii did ~470k in 7 days).
- Zelda better than M64 in first 2 days? 200-300k (based on SW sales).

That is my bet.

Edit - Fixed to be a bit more optimistic.

I recall the N64 being severely supply constrained though, which was a major issue at the time. Still impressive in comparison to the Wii.

killroy87

What are the chances Zelda has the strongest attach rate of any non-bundled game ever? What's the closest competition? Mario 64?

LordKano

What are the chances Zelda has the strongest attach rate of any non-bundled game ever? What's the closest competition? Mario 64?

I believe Zelda already has the strongest attach rate ratio for a launch game. I'm sure Mario 64 previously had the record.

joesiv

Clearly they artificially supply constrained the Wii to make the switch launch look better! That nintendo... so clever!

GAF loves numbers, no numbers makes me sad

beating Wii 2 day sale is not huge is it?

was Wii hot day 1? I can't remember that far

You're making me feel old here.

The Wii was probably the hottest video game launch ever. It was like fucking impossible to find for at least a year and a half after launch. So yeah, beating its two day sales is a pretty big deal.

I believe Zelda already has the strongest attach rate ratio for a launch game. I'm sure Mario 64 previously had the record.

Has that been stated anywhere? I'm sure it'll be very high, but I'll be surprised if it actually beats Mario 64. The Switch may not have many games, but at least it has more than 2.

Twookie

Zelda deserves every sale. I had a Wii u already but playing this on the go as an option was worth it.

This so much. Like, I'm not saying you should buy a console for a single game, but if there ever were a game that would validate that decision, it'd be BotW.

I dislike that there are no hard numbers. But at the very least, it's off to a better start than Wii U, it would appear?

yeah I don't like that either. I hope we get it soon as I am very curious to see how it's actually doing

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Has that been stated anywhere? I'm sure it'll be very high, but I'll be surprised if it actually beats Mario 64. The Switch may not have many games, but at least it has more than 2.

Yeah but literally who is buying a Switch who doesn't plan to play Zelda. Anyone? On the planet?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Good sales for a great system.

Now we just need more content.

Let's break a bit...

- SW Better than Wii in first 2 days? 250-350k (Wii did ~470k in 7 days).
- Zelda better than M64 in first 2 days? 200-300k (based on SW sales).

That is my bet.

Edit - Fixed to be a bit more optimistic.

I thought he was talking about HW not SW when comparing to Wii?

Realeza

Banned
That's awesome to hear. Hopefully it will stay like that until the heavy hitters like Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey launch.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Launch with one of the greatest games ever made and that'll help. Obvious issues aside, the Switch is still a nice piece of kit with a cool core idea.

Maxinas

We are due another nintendo direct. They need to bombard people with Switch ads and get people hyped up as games release over the next few months leading up to the holiday season.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Anedoctal, but a lapsed gamer friend who loved oot on 64 and gta3 on ps2 but hasn't gamed much since bought a freaking switch for Zelda.

Crazy.

leroidys

Ahem.

These good sales are just proof that Nintendo is in dire straights and the Switch will be a failure for sure.

Did I do it right?

Wii was fucking massive from day 1 but it was also incredibly supply constrained.

I think the Wii was hyped from day one. While beating able to beat Nintendo's best-selling console is a definite feat, it's not a 1:1 comparison based on how much easier manufacturing is nowadays. Unless Nintendo somehow hits a bump in the road, it won't be like previous launches where a new system is consistently sold out for months. PS4 and Xbox One both did a million in the first 24 hours but were relatively easy to find into 2014.

We can't take too much from this, even the Wii U had a good launch if I remember correctly... Wasn't as good as Wii though. A good start for the Switch, Nintendo just have to keep the momentum going with well spaced out releases and system updates.

In the UK I remember it being a big deal. Launching with Zelda helped too. But there was really restricted stock for months so it is hard to tell what that first weekend number was.

Good news though. I hope it continues steadily throughout the year and then adds a few million when Mario launches.

I won my Wii from a Ubisoft Red Steel website so I did not pre-order or camp out for one
I remember the shortages but I was not sure if the first 2 days was all that hot

but as posted on the first page if the first month numbers were a little over 450K for Wii the first 2 days for Switch can't be that massive

It would have been nice if they sold the 2 million worldwide at launch but I think the 2M is for the whole month of March'''

You're making me feel old here.

The Wii was probably the hottest video game launch ever. It was like fucking impossible to find for at least a year and a half after launch. So yeah, beating its two day sales is a pretty big deal.
' I'm pretty old myself I just remember lots of news stories about old people bowling

It was. I recall it just scraping 1st place but it was crazy suply constrained.

they had special websites to search stores right? I think that was Wii

Hopefully this continues. They just have to make it to Mario Kart with continued popularity and I think they're golden. Splatoon, ARMs, and E3 are all right around the corner after that, and by then the eShop will be bigger too. Once Mario Odyssey comes out the system will have a healthy backcatalouge.

CrisKre

GAF loves numbers, no numbers makes me sad

beating Wii 2 day sale is not huge is it?

was Wii hot day 1? I can't remember that far

The Wii was indeed a hot item upon release. The motion controls where a hot topic and it came off the DS taking the world by storm. People where lining up early morning at retail stores across the country week 1.

Switch beating it, even if its just 2 days, is a pretty huge deal.

Wether it will have the word of mouth the Wii had all the way to the holidays due to Wii Sports catching on is another matter, since it was a domino effect I´m sure its very difficult to replicate.

This does show people where hyped for Switch though, and find the concept compelling, IMO.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
We are due another nintendo direct. They need to bombard people with Switch ads and get people hyped up as games release over the next few months leading up to the holiday season.
If they survive until the Holiday Season and keep people interested I can see Switch selling really well this Christmas.

They will have a bunch of indie games, some key 3rd party titles (cod, fifa, minecraft, skyrim) and launched VC by that point. Add in a very well received Mario Odyssey and they could make mayor bucks with a couple bundles.

Oh I didn't read properly the post. But I think it also has the highest attach ratio, because who would buy a Switch without Zelda. But nothing official confirmed that.

Maybe a few people who got 1-2 Switch? I mean, same question for the N64: who would buy it without Mario? Maybe a few people who got Pilotwings?

I'll bet it's close. Maybe Zelda can win by a nose based on a few people who didn't realize Mario wasn't a pack-in (it always was before then).

antonz

I won my Wii from a Ubisoft Red Steel website so I did not pre-order or camp out for one
I remember the shortages but I was not sure if the first 2 days was all that hot

but as posted on the first page if the first month numbers were a little over 450K for Wii the first 2 days for Switch can't be that massive

It would have been nice if they sold the 2 million worldwide at launch but I think the 2M is for the whole month of March

The Walmart I camped outside of for 28 hours on launch had over 400 people in line when Wii went on sale. Wii was a phenomenon we will probably never see again unless some future device hits all those chords properly

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Sound great. I can't wait to buy one in 12 months when they start announcing 3DS games like Ace Attorney, Animal Crossing, and Advance Wars.

I'll wait it out until then.

They should do another Direct for pre-E3 with Mario Kart and ARMs focus and more Nindies. I hope they're careful about not putting one out if there's no stock to purchase, though.

Wii sold 476k in November 2006 ( launch month in US ) . It was extremely supply costrained.

I want the switch to do well, it's great that it's basically selling out in NA, but that is what I was thinking. Wii was severely supply constrained. The launch had nothing to do with its success, other than making people want it more, because it was sold out. It's the 4 years afterwards , where it constantly sold like crazy, that proved its success.

So currently this means little, but I would love to be surprised and see the Switch continually do well. It seriously needs some great video apps though.

faridmon

I wonder if they are gonna sell out the initial shipment Nintendo mentioned in their Business Report. 2 million wasn't?

Veitsev

Ahem.

These good sales are just proof that Nintendo is in dire straights and the Switch will be a failure for sure.

Did I do it right?

No what you do is act calm and say that hard numbers are needed before we jump to conclusions. Then say how you really actually want the Switch to do well. Then when potential bad news happens freak the fuck out and jump to conclusions.

Zukkoyaki

Good stuff, Nintendo! I'm really happy for them, they've been needing a winner. Now the key is to maintain that sales momentum once the early adopter enthusiast crowd has already gotten theirs.

Top Bottom