• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYCC 2015 |OT| Spider-Man pulls the 7 train all the way to 34th street from Queens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

q4b13lN.png

dwzxDAD.png

More information and fancy banners to be added over time. Antiquated information to be removed as needed.

Links of Interest:
NYCC Official Twitter
New York Comic Con Home Page
NYCC Fan FAQs (read this before asking any questions in this thread)
New York Super Week Website
9/10 NYCC-GAF members agree that Go! Go! Curry! is the best place to get good, cheap, filling food during NYCC. Expect to wait 90 mins!
NYC GAF thread for questions pertaining to things to see/do for out of town GAF members new to the city.

Introduction
A year has passed since the last New York Comic Con. The Walking Dead graces passes yet again for the 4th year in a row and New York Super Week events continue to grow. NYC is constantly in a state of change. Can you say the most wonderful time of the year is almost upon us? Wrist bands for Main Stage are back in full force so heads up.

The Javits Center area is massively expanding and is poised to become the Park Avenue of the West Side. With San Diego Comic Con capped at 130,000 due to convention capacity limits until it finds a bigger venue, last year's NYCC saw 151,000 people descend down to the Jacob Javits Center effectively overtaking San Diego Comic Con as the largest comic convention in the US. The Javits Center shows no sign of stopping expansions. Unfortunately, people had to take the long pilgrimage-like road to/from 8th avenue to get to or further out east to get to the Javits Center.

Fortunately, this year provides some much needed relief to cosplayers armed to the teeth with elaborate costumes packed in all kinds of cases and people coming from all over the place: NYC's newly opened 469th subway station, the 7 train to 34th St. Hudson Yards which is a completely modern subway station. Unfortunately, it's probably going to be crowded as sin but expect some fantastic pictures/videos to come out of it as New York Comic Con becomes the first convention to put the deepest subway station in the city to the test. Tourists plus cosplayers? What a can a worms that's going to become as cosplayers are bound to take over the High Line for photo shoots.

What's New This Year?
[ To be Updated]
  • Due to its massive popularity, this year's The Walking Dead panel is going to be hosted at Madison Square Garden as its own separate event dubbed The Walking Dead Fan Premiere.
  • After a couple of years of being pushed into smaller panel rooms, this year's big Main Stage panel on Saturday night is going the NYCC Eastern Cosplay Championships which puts the cosplay contest front and center once again. DTJAAAAM and others might want to arrive early to snag a wristband or wait around afterwards.
  • Tickets this year are not being sold by third party retailers making tickets harder than ever to snag if you missed your chance to buy them when they initially went on sale online or at Special Edition. Instead, Midtown Comics is going to be selling them only one day at one location some time this month which they'll announce eventually. This is presumably being done so as to prevent the chaos that happened at last year's locations and to keep scalpers from planning to queue up/organize in mass.
  • It's probably a safe bet that Hudson Yards Park will become a hangout/landmark place to meet up at from this year going forward.
  • The Hammerstein Ballroom will host several panels this year if you show your NYCC pass at the door. FYI for those who don't know where it is, it's right across the street from the AMC Theatre near the A train on 34th street between 8th and 9th ave.

A Newbie's guide to surviving New York Comic Con:

Mandatory videos to watch

Show Tips
Artist Alley Tips

Newbie FAQs as answered by a con Veteran:
What time does each area close at? I want to see an exhibitor before it closes.

Hint: Check the back of your badge since it has all the times listed without resorting to getting a cumbersome program book. ;) You're welcome.

I'm confused about certain autographing sessions not being in the Autographing Hall and others saying booth 20XX. Help!

This a common question that happens a lot. If it says single/double digit tables e.g. Tables 10-11 for say Nathan Fillion, it's going to be at the Autographing Hall (close to the 1B area) next to Queue Hall. If it's a four digit table looking for say Jessica Nigri, it's going to be at the Show Floor.

I have absolutely no idea what to see or how to plan my day since I've never heard of many of the companies that are going to be there. What should I see?

I can't answer that question for you since it ultimately depends on what you're into and what you want to see. Ask yourself what are you going for? Are you a Whovian? A massive video game fan? Love comics or maybe you're an artist looking to network? Maybe you want to watch certain panels or just buy a bunch of stuff you wouldn't be able to get under normal circumstances. Maybe you want to get a bunch of autographs from a couple of people you admire that are going to be there. By all means, check out the website and plan out what you want to do in advance.

What is Queue Hall? How long can we expect to wait on lines? Does everything have a line? Can we lie down while waiting on lines or bring chairs?

Queue Hall (1C section) is where people go to line up for Main Theatre panels. Massive lines ahoy! If you want wrist bands to a main stage panel, get there bright and early before the Show Floor opens and get on the line that goes to Queue Hall then show up about an 1 hour/1.5 hours before the start of that panel and you're golden. No wrist band, no panel and they go fast!

Expect to see a friend of mines with a Minion hat and a huge megaphone holding down that area. Average wait times for a line range anywhere from 30 mins to about 1.5 hours. Everything and anything has a line; free autographs, paid autographs, photo ops with celebrities, panels, trying out a game in say Capcom's booth, food, even the bathroom. Lines are EVERYWHERE!
Except for maybe at Artist Alley if it's not a big writer/artist duo.

Generally there's a capacity for things that people line up for e.g. R.L. Stine's line last year had a certain capacity of people that his manager would allow before we capped it. You're welcome to bring mini chairs and sit but if Crew/Staff tell you to move at moment's notice, be prepared to do so so don't get too comfortable. Stay hydrated, bring snacks, and keep calm. ABSOLUTELY NO LYING DOWN in the middle of a line. Why? Because it poses a fire safety hazard. Staff/Crew's job is to keep foot traffic moving smoothly and have the show be a pleasant experience, not cause unwanted accidents. You also can't sit on the show floor while waiting in line for something because of the aforementioned reason.

I'm new to the U.S and don't know how the food prices. Should I buy food at the convention center? How much money should I budget for food?

STAY FAR, FAR AWAY FROM CON FOOD!
Seriously don't buy any food there. It's ridiculously overpriced. $10 for a beer?! You can easily get a beer here in NYC anywhere from $3-7 in a nearby bar. As for budgeting? Again, it depends. I personally will buy a huge bag of trail mix (assuming you're not allergic to nuts) from Kmart for 7-8 dollars and a 3 pack of gum as well as beef jerky to have on hand during my shift/walking around off-shift in addition to good old H2O or a Starbucks Refresher powder. This is excluding money for going to restaurants and what not. If I had to give you a guesstimate, it depends on how many days you're going to go for. I'd say $40-50 per day is good for food; anywhere from $250-$500 in cash for other things. It depends on how much disposable cash you're willing to spend.

There are lots of cheap eats in the area but I don't want to list them all here so I would advise you go to Yelp, ask in this thread, or visit the NYC GAF thread especially if you're new to town and want sights to see.

What is swag? I keep seeing that word get tossed around often during talk of conventions.

Swag is basically a term for free stuff that you get at conventions. It could be anything e.g. headbands, shirts, balls, pens, toys, bags, portable chargers, comics, books that you can get for pre-ordering a game at booth (which you can then cancel), etc.

I got a Thursday pass for $35. Is that a good deal? Should I be wary of dealing with scalpers if I want a 3 or a 4 Day pass? Is craigslist a viable option to buy passes?

I think the Thursday pass is a good deal at $35. Thursday is the most relaxed day out of the bunch to check out the Show Floor without worrying about navigating through a massive wall of people as well as other areas of the Javits Center as well as on Sunday.

Some of them might be willing to sell it at face value (3 Day: $65; 4 Day: $85) if you can haggle them well. Most of the passes you see on craigslist and on eBay are being sold for 75%-90% times the face value. Ridiculous, I know. I would say to avoid craigslist if you can; it's a bit shady or least have a friend come with you to the deal so nothing seedy goes down since you always want to be careful with that stuff. Try to negotiate for a cheaper price if you can but most people want to make a massive profit so be warned.

I need Wi-Fi badly for my line of work/to chronicle stuff on Twitter. Is the Wi-Fi at the Javits Center worth paying $8 a day for it?

Absolutely not. DO NOT PAY for the $8 a day Wi-Fi. That's completely bullshit to be honest. Everything is out to get your money in conventions. This is one of those things that I don't think is worth spending money on. From what I heard, the Wi-Fi at the Javits Center can be spotty at times depending on where you're at. You're definitely better off going to a McDonalds or a Starbucks to mooch off the free Wi-Fi. Be warned that the McDonalds near the Javits Center gets RIDICULOUSLY crowded during NYCC so always have back up places to go to. There's two Starbucks within the vicinity of Penn Station and one further north on 37th and 8th but it might be crowded during NYCC.

I'm concerned that my phone/laptop/tablet/portable gaming device is going to die out during the middle of my day. Are there any outlets where I can charge my phone at in the Javits Center?

There are tons of outlets around the Javits center but chances are that there will be people already mooching off of chargers all day, every day. However, some exhibitors will have charging stations but don't count on it.Additionally, if you're lucky, exhibitors give away free portable chargers which can really save you in a pinch. I would advise looking into ordering a portable charger off Amazon or get a spare battery and have it charged/kept warm. It'll save you a headache in the long run. That, or you can always go to a Starbucks to charge your stuff there.

I want to go to NYCC but I don't want to pay/don't have a Press/Pro credentials. Is there any way I can get in?

Absolutely yes! There's TONS of ways of getting in for free besides buying tickets or getting in as a professional/press or as Crew. Several exhibitors including Midtown Comics, Loot Crate, and Tokyo Pop as well as smaller exhibitors are always looking for people to help work their booths in exchange for a free Exhibitor's badge. Additionally, artists at Artist Alley will put out a call for assistants so follow the respective social media pages for announcements or email them. Some pay, most do not since you're volunteering in exchange to enjoy the show and get additional some perks.

How real is the notorious con flu?

Very real that it's usually contracted from coming in close contact with people. Symptoms include runny/stuffy nose, chest congestion with a cough that makes Storm blush, headaches, and soreness. Bring hand sanitizer, wash your hands thoroughly after using the bathroom, drink multivitamins/vitamin C as well as tea, eat soups, get a flu shot; anything to bolster up your immune system because when it hits, it hits hard and fast usually after it's all said and done but it also tends to hit early as well.

Hopefully that covers more less or everything. If you have any other questions, please don't feel ashamed to ask them in the thread since no question is stupid. There's a ton of con Veterans here so have at it.
Events/Panels/Attractions of Interest to check out:
  • The Villains event at Sleep No More is still available to RSVP for if you haven't done so already. Check it out and RSVP ASAP.
  • The annual NYCC Charity Auction is always worth checking out if nothing else than to see what type of art work catches the prettiest penny.
  • ]The Street Fighter V panel is probably gonna be a ton of fun and worth checking out to see a new character get unveiled. Capcom also has a booth this year.
  • The Deus Ex: Mankind Divided panel is also going to be really interesting to see. Alexis Toufexis AKA Adam Jensen will be there so bring your copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution to hopefully get it signed.
  • Firefly/Halo fans rejoice! Nathan Fillion is going to be in the Autographing Hall on Friday and Saturday
  • Kevin Conroy is also going to be at the Autographing Hall so bring your copy of Batman: Arkham Knight ready to sign.
  • Speed Dating at NYCC (Room 1E04) is back for the single and looking folks. It's $20 per session. I've been meaning to do a session each for fun and giggles so I definitely need to commit free time to do a session this year .

GAF Meet Up at NYCC:

To put it bluntly, it's hard to find time to do a GAF meet up during NYCC since everyone has a different agenda/schedules whether it's working, chasing down cosplayers to photograph, or attending panels, or being an exhibitor. That being said, anything is possible so watch this space leading up to it. Social media is usually the best place to coordinate. I'll be at the Villains event for sure so a GAF meet up can be had there.

GAF members going this year
As always, expect several GAF members to be in attendance whether as Crew, an artist/exhibitor on the show floor, or doing some kick ass cosplaying as an attendee. This list will be updated regularly.

TheBaroness (Artist Alley/Exhibitor)
Jipan (Crew)
seductivepancakes (Crew)
Fallengorn (Press)
Penguin (Press)
DTJAAAAM (Pro)
Kilrathi (Pro)
Tom_Cody (Saturday)
Duress (Pro?)
Kanik (Pro)
Vyse The Legend (Pro)
SUPARSTARX (Saturday)
commish (Saturday)
HIGH DEF JEFF (4 Day)
JTripper (3 Day)
Salaadin (? Day)
LonelyVagrant (4 Day)

Penguin

They are doing the wrist bands again?

I guess it's an improvement,but does limit how many main stage panels can attend.

Alas

Tom_Cody

Lol at the OP. It was my intention to get a VIP badge but I ended up having IT issues while trying to purchase. It's going to be just Saturday for me this year.

Thanks for making the OP Jipan.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Thanks for putting the OT together again, Jipan.

Surprised they still haven't sold tickets at Midtown Comics yet. It's less than a month to go!

Here's hoping for the release of a Captain America: Civil War teaser.

Don't expect any movie leaks or news. NYCC has transitioned mostly to just TV promotion.

They might show the teaser at the Marvel Unlimited+ panel though.

Penguin

Here's hoping for the release of a Captain America: Civil War teaser.

There's still panels to be announced, but insane that FOX isn't there with Deadpool (feb) nor Warner with Batman V Superman (March) since to my knowledge, last real major geek convention before their releases

Duress

Depends on the panel you wanna go to. Some get capped at like 9, others were open even once the showfloor opened.

I'm thinking of one of the big comic companies. Otherwise, I think I might just to look at other stuff. It doesn't seem like it's worth it.

Penguin

I'm thinking of one of the big comic companies. Otherwise, I think I might just to look at other stuff. It doesn't seem like it's worth it.

Well the comic companies don't do the big stage, if anything they get the adjacent Hall E/Empire Stage, which works like a normal room.

First come, first serve. Can hang out in the room all day

Jhoan

It's really not unless there's a panel you absolutely need to see. If anything, it seems like the smaller panel rooms have stuff of interest to see. Also forgot to add that the Hammerstein Ballroom is hosting a bunch of panels this year if people show their NYCC badge (will throw this into the OP when I get on the laptop since on the phone at the moment). The good thing about the wristband system is that once you get it, you can disappear for a while although there are fans hardcore enough to spend a full day waiting to be first in line (that's always been the case).

If I had to take a guess as to when the Midtown Comics event is going to be, I think it's going to be towards the end of the month or it's going to be suddenly announced. Good luck to those who intend try their luck there.

EDIT: Forgot about the Empire Stage hosting big comic panels. There's no stressful wristband system for those panels like Penguin mentioned.

BkMogul

Will there be a GAF meetup? Haven't been since 2012 so it should be fun. Really want to get into the x-files screening but I imagine I'd have to be waiting for an ungodly amount if time.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
34th st station is a godsend. No more drunkenly walking around hell's kitchen after the con!

GmrP8od.gif

Anyone know of any real use to the Superweek Card other than the lame discounts? I'm not sure if my pro-pass comes with one for free or if they accidentally sent me one. But I checked the site and it seems rather worthless, unless I'm missing something.

fallengorn

There's still panels to be announced, but insane that FOX isn't there with Deadpool (feb) nor Warner with Batman V Superman (March) since to my knowledge, last real major geek convention before their releases
They're not coming back to NYCC. SDCC is enough for them. Only movie panels we'll get now are going to be pretty low-key, relatively speaking.

Anyone know of any real use to the Superweek Card other than the lame discounts? I'm not sure if my pro-pass comes with one for free or if they accidentally sent me one. But I checked the site and it seems rather worthless, unless I'm missing something.

I'd double check to make sure you didn't get charged for it. It definitely isn't included with a pro pass.

As far as how useful it is... it's really not that useful.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'd double check to make sure you didn't get charged for it. It definitely isn't included with a pro pass.

As far as how useful it is... it's really not that useful.

Checked the receipt again and I definitely wasn't charged. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The closest thing to useful on the list of discounts is 20% off at the diner across from my apartment. I can't imagine why anyone would pay money for the card.

njr

Midtown comics still has no set date for selling passes, and it's only going to be at one location? This is going to be worse than lining up for an iphone. I have no data about how many scalpers screwed people out of passes, but this just seems like a worse solution.

fallengorn

Sorta off-topic, the Paley Center has posted the panels for Paleyfest NY: http://media.paleycenter.org/paleyfest-ny-2015/

Since cast is going to be in town for it, we might see some of the same panels pop-up at the con.

Also, Guillermo Del Toro will be in town for a Times Talk around the same time. (Actually, I really hope there's going to be an Ash vs. the Evil Dead panel at NYCC, because I already got tickets to see GDT.)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I will be there on Saturday again. Looking forward to it, even if I haven't read a comic in a while :)

Jhoan

Midtown comics still has no set date for selling passes, and it's only going to be at one location? This is going to be worse than lining up for an iphone. I have no data about how many scalpers screwed people out of passes, but this just seems like a worse solution.
tumblr_ncow7kOlOE1smr45to1_500.gif

It's either going to be a trainwreck or it's going to be a massive success. I think this is definitely being done to keep the demand at bay since Midtown Comics is bound to have a boatload of tickets. I imagine there's going to be some kind of a system in place to limit the amount of tickets per person. Regardless of the fact, it should be very interesting to watch social media feeds.
Sorta off-topic, the Paley Center has posted the panels for Paleyfest NY: http://media.paleycenter.org/paleyfest-ny-2015/

Since cast is going to be in town for it, we might see some of the same panels pop-up at the con.

Also, Guillermo Del Toro will be in town for a Times Talk around the same time. (Actually, I really hope there's going to be an Ash vs. the Evil Dead panel at NYCC, because I already got tickets to see GDT.)
NYCC posted this on their FB page earlier today:
JBLEID8.png

The Paley Center and Guillermo Del Toro talk might be worth cross-posting in the NYC GAF thread.

BkMogul said:
Will there be a GAF meetup? Haven't been since 2012 so it should be fun. Really want to get into the x-files screening but I imagine I'd have to be waiting for an ungodly amount if time.
That's to be decided at the moment. I wouldn't be organizing it personally since I probably will be with friends/co-workers if I'm not working (still haven't gotten my schedule). Although to be fair, I did make it to a GAF meet up during PAX East this so it's possible that I can make it. I can suggest a few ideas or try to organize a pre-con meet up. Logistics, logistics, logistics since a pain in the ass to coordinate with god awful reception but something will be figured out.

Threw the Hammerstein Ballroom Panels into the OP. As good as the new 7 train stop will be for its proximity to the Javits Center, folks wanting to see panels at the Hammerstein Ballroom will have to walk all the way back to 8th avenue and back again.

Last year I said I was done going to this but then the tickets go on sale and I buy a 4 day pass. Every year it gets less fun but I dont hate it yet.

Last year it went this way:
Thursday = lay of the land
Friday = saw the americans panel
Saturday = stayed in the front/lobby and took pictures and goofed on people.
Sunday = bought prints
Thats more or less this years plan. Show up mid day, find our single day friends and linger around the block and artists alley.

I liked when Rockstar would come and give cool GTA and Max Payne shit out.

I miss the days of Mike Carbonaros Big Apple Con in the church basement but this thing is good for the costumes and amount of artists there.

JTripper

This'll be my 4th con. I'll be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and cosplaying for the very first time so I'm super excited.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Besides paying out the ass or trying to work there, is there a way still to get tickets? I want to go, but I missed them when they went on sale a few months ago.

JTripper

Besides paying out the ass or trying to work there, is there a way still to get tickets? I want to go, but I missed them when they went on sale a few months ago.

If you don't count it as paying out the ass depending on how you get there, Midtown Comics in the city has yet to announce a date when they're going to be selling all types of NYCC tickets at one of their 3 stores.

They're the only retailer that's going to be selling tickets physically this year. I think it's a good idea, but it could turn out to be a disaster depending on how many people show up.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
If you don't count it as paying out the ass depending on how you get there, Midtown Comics in the city has yet to announce a date when they're going to be selling all types of NYCC tickets at one of their 3 stores.

They're the only retailer that's going to be selling tickets physically this year. I think it's a good idea, but it could turn out to be a disaster depending on how many people show up.

Thank you! I will keep my eye out.

Jhoan

GgZ1c1x.gif

The tenth (?) annual Midtown Comics Hunger Games is about to begin. Good luck gentlemen and may the odds be in your favor.

JTripper

GgZ1c1x.gif

The tenth (?) annual Midtown Comics Hunger Games is about to begin. Good luck gentlemen and may the odds be in your favor.

This. Haha, I lucked out so hard getting tickets online this year. Was so surprised I got through each checkout screen during the online queue.

The Midtown Comics ticket sale day is like an event in itself. Good luck to all who are trying for tickets there!

Jhoan

So it seems like over 3,000 people lined up for Midtown Comics tickets from what I saw lurking on social media. Tickets went on sale at 9AM instead of 10AM like originally planned and there were two tents set up for sales. Oh and tickets have already popped up on eBay unsurprisingly.

No fights broke out that I know of. It was a big publicity event if anything. Any GAF members who lined up or went to go cover it for press work want to weigh in on it?

Here's the pics that popped up on Instagram: https://instagram.com/explore/tags/midtowncomics/

JTripper

So it seems like over 3,000 people lined up for Midtown Comics tickets from what I saw lurking on social media. Tickets went on sale at 9AM instead of 10AM like originally planned and there were two tents set up for sales. Oh and tickets have already popped up on eBay unsurprisingly.

No fights broke out that I know of. It was a big publicity event if anything. Any GAF members who lined up or went to go cover it for press work want to weigh in on it?

Here's the pics that popped up on Instagram: https://instagram.com/explore/tags/midtowncomics/

Damn, 3000!

I wonder if any ticket types have sold out yet. From what it seems, I guess selling tickets at just one location this year seemed to be pretty successful for the people there today. Kind of unfortunate they announced the sale date only yesterday so people couldn't plan ahead to go down.

I'm just relieved I got mine in the mail already.

Hero

I'll be at the con for all four days most likely. Really has a lot of fun last year, looking forward to it in a few weeks!

Jhoan

Tickets are being sold until 8PM but apparently 3 Day and Saturday are already sold out. Not surprising to see Saturday sell out so quickly. It seems to be progressing without a hitch. I guess handing out tickets to people queued up was a smart decision since NYCC gauged demand.

https://twitter.com/MidtownComics/status/645648397274337280/photo/1
https://twitter.com/NY_Comic_Con/status/645662238934704128
https://twitter.com/NY_Comic_Con/status/645651643707596800

@Penguin, all the after parties for this year are listed in this page (will throw this into the OP as well): http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Events/After-Parties/

The Rock Band 4 Super Week events sounds pretty cool and is surprisingly cheap. Never stepped foot into the Hard Rock Cafe on Times Square since it looks like such a touristy thing to do. I might RSVP for it but will hold off on it until I get my schedule which won't be for another couple of days or so.

fallengorn

NYCC FB just posted how there's no lines right now... although I don't think anyone believes them. 4-day being still available is really surprising.

BBQ Films is holding a Blade screening complete with blood rave. Sounds pretty cool, although being drenched in Karo syrup isn't my cup of tea.

Jhoan

I think it's because the average person doesn't care about going on Thursday since that day doesn't have what's super popular. Plus the gap between $75 and $105 is pretty big especially if one is working in a retail/service sector industry job so college students won't go for it. People working office jobs will definitely be buying it on their lunch break but it seems that scalpers have been having better luck selling 3 Day and individual day passes.

Jhoan

dwzxDAD.png

Good luck getting tickets folks because now it's in the hands of eBay, Stubhub, craigslist, and on site scalpers. And of course, the aforementioned free ways of getting that I made a note of in the FAQ. I'm stoked for that Villains event on Saturday as it will be a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom