• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD kill a man after he breaks up a fight between others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What's the legal process in this case? An internal investigation couldn't be 100% the answer here, right? DA has to have a grand jury convened?

MikeDown

Banned
This is something truly shocking, i mean the cops just killed a man for no reason at all and the paramedics are actually helping the officers in covering up what they did - the paramedics!.
After taking his pulse, just they way she talked to him "Sir, it's EMS etc.", it just felt devoid IDK exactly how to describe it; just a huge contrast from this

Are people really saying "but white people too" again?

It's a often brought up often repeated thing. Annoying as all hell as if their 'struggles' some how invalidates the ridiculously disproportionate rate blacks get harassed and abused by police.

I imagine there were people saying "Us too!" when blacks were getting water hosed by cops.

Daaruz

Banned
The cop in the green shirt is sweating bullets. He's trying to act relaxed as to not seem guilty. He knows he fucked up, and just murdered a suspect. I hope his career is done, and he needs to be criminally prosecuted for excessive force.

Fucking NYPD, nothing but racist pricks.
And the white fat cop is a fucking liar "oh he's breathing"...corrupt cops. Scum of the earth.

commedieu

Banned
The cop in the green shirt is sweating bullets. He's trying to act relaxed as to not seem guilty. He knows he fucked up, and just murdered a suspect. I hope his career is done, and he needs to be criminally prosecuted for excessive force.

Fucking NYPD, nothing but racist pricks.

It isn't the major backed up his story already. More of the same police punishment for murdering people on video.

Not much.

entremet

This is some demented shit, wow.

I'm not surprised at DeBlasio being a shithead. Cops are untouchable in NYC. Even if they face trial, no jury will convict them. This is the society we've set up.

rjinaz

Fuck that guy! Where are the justice brothers when you need em?

Al Sharpton is involved
R9y5t0g.png

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/eric-ga...-after-nyc-man-put-in-police-choke-hold-dies/

Do yourself a favor and don't read the comments in that article, they are that bad.

FStubbs

Yep. If you know your history of the world you soon begin to understand that violence actually is the answer. Especially when dealing with people that believe they are untouchable gods.

Give the cops an excuse to ride through the ghetto and shoot anything that moves? Brilliant idea.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
This shit is really disgusting.

Nobody deserves to die this way, especially at the hands of civil servants who are there to protect...

Toddler

Is there another video without the break at :33? I'd like to see and hear everything before I make any speculating comments....

What's the legal process in this case? An internal investigation couldn't be 100% the answer here, right? DA has to have a grand jury convened?
Cops will probably just claim they felt their lives were in danger if there is a court case and acquitted because how could such a large black man against such small white men not be a threat to someone's life!?

Ugh, this kind of stuff makes me sick and as a black man only makes me view cops as my enemy and not there to actually help me. Sometimes I think, why would I ever ask a cop for help or call the police? They'd probably shoot me thinking I was the one committing the crime.

Kyzon

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan this story just breaks my heart :'(
I can't understand how someone could do that to another human, and then act all nonchalant about it.

So sad ;_;

Just watch the girl take his pulse, she knows he is dead at this point and at the same time she is being told to play along as the cops know they are being recorded.

at 6:36 the guys ask "why aren't they doing CPR?" and the cop resonds "he's breathing." Really? all you did was quickly check for a pulse, didn't see anyone there check his ability to breath. lying bsatards

Not to mention that there would be no reason to check for a pulse if he was breathing.

By checking a for pulse you are implying that they might not be breathing.

alterno69

Banned
Why the fuck were paramedics just walking around? Was he really breathing or was he dead by then and they knew and were just playing dumb to save face? What a disgusting display from the officers and paramedics alike.

jwhit28

Cops will probably just claim they felt their lives were in danger if there is a court case and acquitted because how could such a large black man against such small white men not be a threat to someone's life!?

Ugh, this kind of stuff makes me sick and as a black man only makes me view cops as my enemy and not there to actually help me. Sometimes I think, why would I ever ask a cop for help or call the police? They'd probably shoot me thinking I was the one committing the crime.

Exactly, this incident was from last September

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/16/us-usa-police-accident-idUSBRE98E0AT20130916

Police in Charlotte, North Carolina, shot dead an unarmed man who was running toward police officers and may have been just trying to get help after crashing his car, authorities said.

That officer has been charged with voluntary manslaughter though.

The hard, ugly truth of the matter is, we are no longer a nation of laws, nor is the "rule of law" still in effect. We are ruled by men, not law. For a nation to have rule of law, the laws absolutely must apply to everyone equally and at all times.

Cops, through qualified immunity and other legal protections, are allowed to, and often get away with, crimes that would land regular civilians in prison. We essentially have a two-tiered "just-us" system, where the same laws that apply to us no longer apply to the ruling class and their enforcers. Hence, just-us.

There's a certain kind of irony to it. They've successfully conditioned the population to be deathly afraid of anarchy and to practically worship the idea of government, when they themselves live under anarchy and only maintain governments to keep everybody outside the ruling class under tight control. They actually got the masses to love their servitude.

Enzom21

Is there another video without the break at :33? I'd like to see and hear everything before I make any speculating comments....
How would that change the outcome of the video for you? Regardless of what happened there, he was still choked to death.

The hard, ugly truth of the matter is, we are no longer a nation of laws, nor is the "rule of law" still in effect. We are ruled by men, not law. For a nation to have rule of law, the laws absolutely must apply to everyone equally and at all times.

Cops, through qualified immunity and other legal protections, are allowed to, and often get away with, crimes that would land regular civilians in prison. We essentially have a two-tiered "just-us" system, where the same laws that apply to us no longer apply to the ruling class and their enforcers. Hence, just-us.

There's a certain kind of irony to it. They've successfully conditioned the population to be deathly afraid of anarchy and to practically worship the idea of government, when they themselves live under anarchy and only maintain governments to keep everybody outside the ruling class under tight control. They actually got the masses to love their servitude.
This isn't a new thing if you are black. I know police are starting to treat white people badly but they have been doing this shit to black people for decades.

Reading the comments on PoliceOne which were, from the few I read, unanimously in support of the actions of the officers because they were merely following the law—and I'm sure they were—it would appear that we are rather too heavily seen as laws or law violators and not as men or people. There's no humanity to be found there or in the video; policing in America is largely just the rigid execution of law with uniformed people doing their jobs/just following orders against "perpetrators" (never people/living things), and that's still as sickening of an excuse as it ever has been. On one hand I can understand the partial dissociation from others when acting as an officer, but it doesn't mean you have to become a fucking unfeeling monster.

Chichikov

The cops don't have any hold on the politicians. The politicians hate brown people too. They just work together on this shit.
Pretty sure de Blasio doesn't hate brown people.

Getting into a fight with the police can destroy political careers, it has been shown time and time again. Don't get me wrong, there's a whole lot of institutional racism (and plain old racism) on the political level, but I think that's what you're seeing at play here is just cold political calculation.

Not an excuse of course, just an explanation.

Jesus Christ, I couldn't even finish watching.

"I can't breathe... I can't breathe... I can't breathe... I can't breathe..."

One of the most horrifying videos I've seen.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Once the man has been taken to the ground (buying into the police assumption that he was "a threat") what reason do they have to keep the headlock on him?

This is why I can never by the whole self defense argument. Once the suspect has been immobilized, that seems to be when the cops start their bullshit.

Give the cops an excuse to ride through the ghetto and shoot anything that moves? Brilliant idea.

I agree. Unfortunately, the only alternative is to stand by and wait to be the next victim of police murder. The subjugated people of America have been given terrible options.

That was crazy the cops jumped him like they were doing a gang beat down.

The second video is just all levels of messed up. None of the officers did anything to help him at all. They just stood their and watched him die in the second video and then the even more messed up part is the paramedic did not even do cpr their knowing he was likely dead. The lack of compassion and disregard from those officers and that paramedic for that poor guy was absolutely insane.

To imply that that is indicative of the behavior of most police officers in America is nonsense.

Are some police officers bad people? Sure.
Are most police officers bad people? No.

I have a friend who thinks all cops are scumbags. I try to tell her that only the scum cops get media attention, but she doesn't listen.

It just seems like there are more bad cops because they're the only ones you ever hear about.

Anyway this shit is gross. We need an overhaul on how they punish police officers. If this occurred how the sources said it did, these officers should be fired and arrested for murder. Too bad that won't happen. This kind of shit needs to be prevented when possible.

Folks this is why cops continue to threaten those who record them, despite an almost endless series of affirmations that filming cops in public is protected by the constitution.

The lesson they will take from this is not going to be that they made a mistake. The lesson will be that they have to be more diligent in making sure nobody records them again.

Holy shit, I almost cried watching that video

Folks this is why cops continue to threaten those who record them, despite an almost endless series of affirmations that filming cops in public is protected by the constitution.

The lesson they will take from this is not going to be that they made a mistake. The lesson will be that they have to be more diligent in making sure nobody records them again.

I hate that you're probably right

They are literally trained to shake down Blacks.

He's gotta live with that the rest of his life. I hope he drinks himself into a bottomless pit.

Enzom21

Apparently the officer who put the guy in the choke hold has a history of violating police procedure and harassing black people.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/19/nypd-daniel-pantaleo-chok_n_5602742.html
According to federal court records, three men have sued Pantaleo within the last two years over what they argued were unlawful, racially motivated arrests on Staten Island.

In the first lawsuit, settled by the city in January, two black men in their 40s accused Pantaleo and other officers of arresting them without cause and subjecting them to a "humiliating and unlawful strip search" on a Staten Island street that involved ordering them to "pull their pants and underwear down, squat and cough."

The men said they were held overnight on charges that were ultimately dismissed seven months later.

In a second lawsuit, a man accused Pantaleo and other officers of misrepresenting facts in a police report and other documents to substantiate charges that were eventually dismissed.
Allowing this guy to continue being a cop is one of the reasons people think all law enforcement agencies are corrupt.

Lol, my favorite NYPD apologist line I keep seeing trotted out is, "he was twice their size." If there was any one of those scum bag cops weighing in anywhere in the realm of 175 lbs than I have a bridge to sell you.

Absolutely pathetic response from the Mayor. The racism in lawn enforcement is disgusting. Fuck the NYPD, I am so glad to be out of their domain these days.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So de Blasio starts out with sympathy and condolences, only to then turn and spend most of his speaking time defending the NYPD starting with this gem:

What fucking hold do cops have on these politicians? A man just got murdered for no reason and the Mayor feels the need to remind us of the commonly used bullshit propaganda line, 'cops have to make split-second decisions'? It's neither the fucking time nor the place for this tired garbage. It's totally inappropriate to take a moment to praise an organization the day after a bunch of their members killed someone in cold blood. The disconnection to the community - and basic human decency - is just shocking.

It sucks to hell and back but that particular piece you picked is true in many situations. Quick decisions have to be made in order to gain control of a criminal or suspect or else it's the cop who has been killed or beaten up by a black or Hispanic person. I knew a friend in Southern California who I basically consoled and told him he did the wrong thing. He got caught in the end but he basically evaded police for doing something wrong and hurt a white cop who was only doing his job. I've read several stories about excellent white cops with amazing community service which were killed by scum criminals who have no remorse the other way around. As I said yesterday, it's such a damn shame it comes to this but I think it's fair to say cops are more right than wrong in a lot of these cases.

I think it's fair to bring up the contrasting side since I think it's unfair to just bash the cop for doing his job even if he did do something stupid like choke hold. It's the thousands of other situational decisions that happen throughout the year which allow criminals or suspects to evade police and sometimes brutally and cold heartedly murder good police force. Those things often don't get the response as this case which I noted, it's very hard to watch that and can only stomach it once. I feel bad for the guy in the end and wish there would be other solutions but as stated several times, police have to apprehend suspects every day and sometimes it ends their lives if they don't make quick decisions.

Serious question: do NA police officers go through any kind of psych evaluation?

Pretty sure they do. My mother in law and brother in law work in the field. You're going to often times be in high stress situations with firearms.

I think it's fair to bring up the contrasting side since I think it's unfair to just bash the cop for doing his job even if he did do something stupid like choke hold. It's the thousands of other situational decisions that happen throughout the year which allow criminals or suspects to evade police and sometimes brutally and cold heartedly murder good police force. Those things often don't get the response as this case which I noted, it's very hard to watch that and can only stomach it once. I feel bad for the guy in the end and wish there would be other solutions but as stated several times, police have to apprehend suspects every day and sometimes it ends their lives if they don't make quick decisions.

Pretty sure they do. My mother in law and brother in law work in the field. You're going to often times be in high stress situations with firearms.

This is completely unnecessary and down right ridiculous given what happened to this poor guy. Instead of blanket defending the police officer in this situation actually read what happened. Then add his history of violating procedure and racially charged harassment then you have a recipe for disaster and your defending him think how that makes you look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom