• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD kill a man after he breaks up a fight between others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Expected much worse from all the comments. The guy did resist arrest and all the police did was take control. Sad that his body gave out from the stress though.

I feel like one's body should not be placed in a situation of life-threatening duress by officers of the law when one is unarmed. Encounters with police officers should not be a matter of "Can you survive this physically?" There simply has to be a better way of pacifying an unarmed man than to challenge his body to the point of death.

I'm not one to sit and normally hate on the cops, but come on. Gave out from the stress? It shouldn't have been stressed to that point.

Norml

What's it like to have this level of disdain for the common man?

What level is it? I'm just telling from what I see, and that was a man refusing to corporate with the police.

I feel like one's body should not be placed in a situation of life-threatening duress by officers of the law when one is unarmed. Encounters with police officers should not be a matter of "Can you survive this physically?" There simply has to be a better way of pacifying an unarmed man than to challenge his body to the point of death.

I'm not one to sit and normally hate on the cops, but come on. Gave out from the stress? It shouldn't have been stressed to that point.

There was nothing threatening that I could see.

What level is it? I'm just telling from what I see, and that was a man refusing to corporate with the police.

There was nothing threatening that I could see.

Nonviolently disagreeing, after being accused of a non violent crime, and then an illegal choke hold was placed on him

Choke holds are life threatening by definition which is why it is illegal for NYPD officers to use them. Moron

TheJLC

Horrible comments from that site posted. You can see the blatant racist posts and signatures of some of those individuals. They make me sick, especially if they are indeed law enforcement.

Anyways, regarding the incident. Both sides are to blame with the cops and emts receiving the bigger piece of the blame. The man should not have resisted and it's obvious he was still resisting on the ground. However, the officers should 1) not have used a chokehold, 2) not placed this life at risk 3) should have thought of another way to take down this large man, 4) stopped the officer that kept choking the man. The EMTs should have provided CPR, I mean, the EMTs here do CPR even to people riddled with bullet holes in an attempt to resuscitate. The death could have been avoided.

MIMIC

Banned
I had to pause it when I heard him saying that he couldn't breathe. I couldn't even watch the rest.

Absolutely sickening.

Norml

Nonviolently disagreeing, after being accused of a non violent crime, and then an illegal choke hold was placed on him

Choke holds are life threatening by definition which is why it is illegal for NYPD officers to use them. Moron

Name calling. LOL!!!!

As if I'm supposed to know choke hold is illegal. Not even sure if is true and would like a link. I wonder if it covers resisting arrest too?

Horrible comments from that site posted. You can see the blatant racist posts and signatures of some of those individuals. They make me sick, especially if they are indeed law enforcement.

Anyways, regarding the incident. Both sides are to blame with the cops and emts receiving the bigger piece of the blame. The man should not have resisted and it's obvious he was still resisting on the ground. However, the officers should 1) not have used a chokehold, 2) not placed this life at risk 3) should have thought of another way to take down this large man, 4) stopped the officer that kept choking the man. The EMTs should have provided CPR, I mean, the EMTs here do CPR even to people riddled with bullet holes in an attempt to resuscitate. The death could have been avoided.

Their is no physical resistance so do not pull the bs both sides stuff. If the guy wanted to actually physically resist he could have but, he decided not to fight was subsequently choked and died because no one wanted to help him.

Name calling. LOL!!!!

As if I'm supposed to know choke hold is illegal. Not even sure if is true and would like a link. I wonder if it covers resisting arrest too?

The choke hold is illegal and has been discussed in every article about incident. Instead of jumping into a discussion trying to make trouble actually read about what has happened instead of going lolz! he was resisting trying to bait people.

Anyways, regarding the incident. Both sides are to blame with the cops and emts receiving the bigger piece of the blame. The man should not have resisted and it's obvious he was still resisting on the ground.

He was merely resisting being killed. Take that "both sides are to blame" nonsense out of here please. It's disrespectful.

Chariot

Name calling. LOL!!!!

Don't "LOL" us, when you have no clue what you're talking about. The NYPD themselves recognized and reinforced in their official statement that that chokeholds are illegal for the NYPD. This is not the first time someone was hurt or died from a chokehold.

edit: here, try to invest some time before you whine about how you should no something.

ICKE

Banned
NYPD obviously overreacted and there should be dire consequences for those involved.

That being said, I don't understand the sort of mindset people have when dealing with officers. Why would you start an argument or show any sort of resistance? Why would you make sudden movements or have an angry tone when the other person has a weapon and is allowed to pacify you?

Every time we see these videos the person who suffers is not able to control his emotions but just freaks out completely, starts to drive away, uses physical resistance and so on. The thing is that officers are just not properly educated to deal with such individuals. You can blame it on funding, institutional racism, poor choice of personnel or who knows what but that's just the situation. So don't take that risk.

Norml

Their is no physical resistance so do not pull the bs both sides stuff. If the guy wanted to actually physically resist he could have but, he decided not to fight was subsequently choked and died because no one wanted to help him.

The choke hold is illegal and has been discussed in every article about incident
. Instead of jumping into a discussion trying to make trouble actually read about what has happened instead of going lolz! he was resisting trying to bait people.

I didn't see in the OP from my skimming :/ Are we now required to do research before posting?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
offlineDisGraziato
Unread Message I guess it's the best thing for his #6 [-] avatar Posts: 1212 4 days ago...e want to name and shame these motherfuckers?

I didn't see in the OP from my skimming :/ Are we now required to do research before posting?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390708

NeoGAF ToS said:
Negative commentary and minority opinions are not frowned upon, but members are expected to be able to substantiate their positions.

You are really striking out here buddy. There is a big burden on those defending fascism, please prepare yourself better the next time you choose to do so.

NYPD obviously overreacted and there should be dire consequences for those involved.

That being said, I don't understand the sort of mindset people have when dealing with officers. Why would you start an argument or show any sort of resistance? Why would you make sudden movements or have an angry tone when the other person has a weapon and is allowed to pacify you?

Every time we see these videos the person who suffers is not able to control his emotions but just freaks out completely, starts to drive away, uses physical resistance and so on. The thing is that officers are just not properly educated to deal with such individuals. You can blame it on funding, institutional racism, poor choice of personnel or who knows what but that's just the situation. So don't take that risk.

We're not supposed to live in fear of police officers, and we're not supposed to lie down and take it when our rights are being violated. You're not the first person in this thread who's suggested it's appropriate to step down and not do anything while you're being harassed by the people YOU PAY to protect and serve YOU (even though this doesn't at all happen like it should), and it's disturbing to me that people have no problem with living like this in the United States of America.

Even offering this as commentary is part of the fucking problem. Stop being complacent and stop offering submission as a solution to a rogue institution.

http://theerant.yuku.com/topic/6842...D-cop-puts-chokehold-VIDE?page=1#.U801MLFTVNv

Reactions to Eric Garner's death on a messageboard frequented by NYPD. The responses are disgusting and racist. What a surprise.

Not shock, as a former NYC resident I was called Nigger by the cops on many occasion, reading this didn't make me angry because this shit is the norm for a lot NYC cops, even the black cops think they white and will racially profile you..NYC has the largest employed racist cunts in all of United States.

ICKE

Banned
We're not supposed to live in fear of police officers, and we're not supposed to lie down and take it when our rights are being violated. You're not the first person in this thread who's suggested it's appropriate to step down and not do anything while you're being harassed by the people YOU PAY to protect and serve YOU (even though this doesn't at all happen like it should), and it's disturbing to me that people have no problem with living like this in the United States of America.

Even offering this as commentary is part of the fucking problem. Stop being complacent and stop offering submission as a solution to a rogue institution.

There are various avenues people can take collectively and perhaps in time these institutions will improve.

But at the moment it is advisable to be calm and show obedience when officers speak to you. When pulled over, you are not going to change anything going in with a sentiment like that, as noble as it may be.

There are various avenues people can take collectively and perhaps in time these institutions will improve.

But at the moment it is advisable to be calm and show obedience when officers speak to you. When pulled over, you are not going to change anything going in with a sentiment like that, as noble as it may be.

I won't deny that my post is a "the way things should be" type of scenario, but the bottom line here is that level of complacency shown to the problem at large is frustrating. There's too many good people who think like this.

Of course, I imagine that the outrage is going to grow a lot more when it's not just minorities overwhelmingly being on the other side of these situations, but by then it'll be too late. It's probably too late now.

Chariot

http://theerant.yuku.com/topic/6842...D-cop-puts-chokehold-VIDE?page=1#.U801MLFTVNv

Reactions to Eric Garner's death on a messageboard frequented by NYPD. The responses are disgusting and racist. What a surprise.
Holy shit, that makes me so angry.
A more accurate headline would be "Non Compliant Fat Bastard Gets Just Due In Resisting Law Enforcement Officers"
I guess it's the best thing for his tribe. He probably never worked a legit job. They city will pay off the family and they will be in Nigggaaa heaven for the rest of their lives!!
If he was heard saying, "I can't breathe", then in fact he can breathe.
Another tragic event where several good cops lives were ruined.
Hopefully I am totally wrong but they are going to try to crucify these cops for doing their job. If the fat fuk just put his hands behind his back none of this would have escalated into what it did. I think the cops are going to have a long uphill battle but thankfully this happened in Staten island and not the Bronx.
From watching that video, there is no way the cops caused his death. He probably had a heart attack from physically exerting himself resisting arrest. Like others said, the result is his own fault.
Goddamn, I wish I could burn this insane forum to the ground.

Just earlier this month we had a case of excessive police violence in Berlin... needles to say that pales in comparison as no one died or got injured. A case like the one in NY would make some heavy waves here I hope.

Also, the guy in Berlin truly was resisting the police and was actually fighting to get out of their grip, on top of that, it seems the police was actually justified in their behaviour and still they have to look into their own ranks after this as people pressed charges (people who have seen the video, they werent even there).

Xcellere

Holy shit, that makes me so angry.
Goddamn, I wish I could burn this insane forum to the ground.

If Anonymous was ever looking for a target to dox, then the members of that forum would be it.

NYPD making horrific comments about someone killed needlessly by one of their own? Exposing their identities would be glorious.

Chariot

Are you saying we need to know every law before posting?
In my eyes the choke wasn't even that bad and was merely to take control of a very big guy.
You should know that law, because it's mentioned in every newsarticle. Which means, you never read a newsarticle and just started to guess blind.
If Anonymous was ever looking for a target to dox, then the members of that forum would be it.

NYPD making horrific comments about someone killed needlessly by one of their own? Exposing their identities would be glorious.
I find this idea intriguing.

Chariot

Every one except the two in the OP it seems :/
I see.
Well, I can't blame OP, he is a bit too banned to edit the OP with more recent articles. Nevertheless, I did post you the offical statement of the police, watch that and you know a lot more.

What ever gave you the idea that the politicians represent you?

You think that just because you voted for one they care one iota what you think or want?

Legally, you can require them to perform the acts that they are mandated to perform through writs of mandamus or prohibitum. If they begin to vote against how you wish, then you may remove them from office by voting for someone else. Simple.

People don't show up to vote because they know it's pointless and that the system is rigged.

The politicians you vote for aren't your choices, they are the choices of someone else.

Prove the system is rigged and would not be changed should people show up.

The government has no legitimate or moral authority to allow anyone to live anywhere.

The government has no more legitimate authority than the Sicilian Mafia does.

Yes it does, because we voted for them, they were formed by the people, and they can be removed through process. Their legitimacy exists through the democratic process.

None of these represent privileges or immunities. For starters, health care and police "protection" is paid for via taxes. The people pay for that themselves, not the government. Secondly, taxation is just a nice way of saying "armed robbery" or "compulsory extortion".

They most assuredly qualify as priveleges and immunities. You are immune from people stealing your stuff by tort law. You are priveleged you gain employment and be protected by employment law. You enjoy benefits from the law and protections from the law.

Nope, as there is no implicit or explicit acceptance, nor is there fair consideration given. After all, the government has no consideration to give, other than what it steals from the other party to the contract.

Therefore there is no valid contract.

The acceptance is your continued acceptance of these rights and staying here. You stay in America accepting jobs, houses, and the protections of law. Therefore, you accept the contract.

If you live in the neighborhood of a sex predator, are you willfully subjecting yourself to his sexual advances?

Obviously not.
Because he is neither your landlord nor your representative nor is he protected by the law. Faulty analogy.

Suing the government in their own courts would be the equivalent of suing the Mafia in their own courts. Not only would such a court have no legitimate authority, but it would be impossible to get a truly unbiased, neutral hearing. It's a basic conflict of interest.

Government courts have a vested interest in supporting government policy.

Prove to me that courts are unwilling to enforce the law. In my experience, they are more than happy to enforce the law of torts.

NimbusD

Yeah was thinking the same thing. Anonymous needs a bat signal.

Dead Man

Fucking hell.

Expected much worse from all the comments. The guy did resist arrest and all the police did was take control. Sad that his body gave out from the stress though.

What the fuck is wrong with you? Body gave out from stress?

rjinaz

http://7online.com/news/4-emts-now-suspended-without-pay-for-eric-garners-death-/197357/
So now the EMT workers are suspended without pay. Seems like this is escalating.

One of the witnesses claims the ambulance was there but was held off. That's disturbing:

"The ambulance was right down the block, but the police said 'not yet,'" explained Giordio Dano.

In the same article in the comments, a commenter claims they were a witness and emailed the DA to testify. The DA's response was more or less, "thanks for sharing your concern". You would think they would want all the information possible.

I don't care if this comment gets me banned but someone needs to post every known dirty cops public information somewhere and they deserved to be harassed and known as a dirty cop everywhere they go for the rest of their lives.

ICKE

Banned
Hopefully this doesn't lead to some settlement where the city is forced to pay a few million dollars and then everyone continues as nothing ever happened. Such settlements are not really helping as it's basically a transfer payment from other citizens who had nothing to do with the incident.

Some of those comments are really cold though, just goes to tell you how others did not really see this person as a member of their community but just some obese freeloader who was better off dead anyway (not saying the victim was poor or unemployed but that's the atmosphere and general perception one can take from those responses. And this sentiment plays a part in how the officers conduct themselves)

Infinite

The only thing he did "wrong" was raise his voice. The cops from there should had made the decision to calm him down.

zoozilla

One thing I've never understood is the pervasive 'cops don't rat out other cops' mentality that seems to be so ingrained in that culture.

Isn't that kind of attitude completely anathema to the police force's aim to uphold the law wherever possible?

There was an episode of Cagney & Lacey on TV, so I watched it for a little bit. It was about a cop who ratted out his partner for stealing or something, and Cagney was forced to use him on an investigation. It took an entire episode for her to get over her fuming hatred of him for incriminating his friend, even though it was never a secret that the partner was in fact doing wrong. I was kind of shocked.

Do cops really shit on those who call out other cops for breaking the law? That's so messed up.

rjinaz

One thing I've never understood is the pervasive 'cops don't rat out other cops' mentality that seems to be so ingrained in that culture.

Isn't that kind of attitude completely anathema to the police force's aim to uphold the law wherever possible?

There was an episode of Cagney & Lacey on TV, so I watched it for a little bit. It was about a cop who ratted out his partner for stealing or something, and Cagney was forced to use him on an investigation. It took an entire episode for her to get over her fuming hatred of him for incriminating his friend, even though it was never a secret that the partner was in fact doing wrong. I was kind of shocked.

Do cops really shit on those who call out other cops for breaking the law? That's so messed up.

Yes. This is exactly the reason why the "good cop" defense is insanely naive and needs be ridiculed out of use. Any internal attempts to call out cops who fuck up like this are not taken kindly to.

I mentioned his name in the debunking of the article that the concept of police forces came from company towns in the US.
if police have been around since ancient China and the Roman Republic as you claim, why is Robert Peel noteworthy at all? You seem to be contradicting your own point. There are aspects of modern day policing beyond just being an authority figure with weapons, which began not in ancient times but much more recently

Not shock, as a former NYC resident I was called Nigger by the cops on many occasion, reading this didn't make me angry because this shit is the norm for a lot NYC cops, even the black cops think they white and will racially profile you..NYC has the largest employed racist cunts in all of United States.
Think this is most police forces really. Chicago, L.A., Oakland PDs... even Albequerque getting in on the action. NYPD is much more notorious though.

I don't feel like anything is really going to happen to the officer here though. The establishment wants a sociopathic, militaristic police force. So it can't go holding them accountable for their brutality.

The Adder

Banned

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Morgan_case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom