• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oath Keepers to Arm 50 Black Protesters in Ferguson with AR- 15s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oath Keepers... do these motherfuckers think they're on Game of Thrones or some shit?

Also, arming 50 black individuals in a region that has been making headlines for months now due to the consequences of its deep-seated institutionalised racism - what could possibly go wrong?

That's the point

So doing this after an event where a random person opened fire on police? So much brilliance on display. It would mean more if they would just protest with them completely unarmed.

IISANDERII

Things will need to get a whole lot worse before they get better. This just accelerates that process and may save lives in the medium and long term.

I don't even know anymore.

Fuckeverything.gif

This is like the pinnacle of stupid and a shining example of how out of control the far right gun nuts have gone.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I welcome the Oath Keepers in furthering their agenda of more gun control. It's what Reagan would have wanted.

This is exactly what they are going for.

The Oath Keepers believe that the country will eventually descend into a civil war (more importantly, a race war). Then all true-blooded REAL Americans will rise up and fight the tyrannical gub'mnt and win. This victory will bring back the golden age of 1910s America.

Arming angry minorities is a win-win for them. Either the minorities start getting in pitched gun battles with police and gets them closer to their glorious race war, or the gub'mnt gets pressured by racists to tighten gun control laws, thereby inciting "real Americans" to rise up against getting their guns taken away.

Mistake

How can people honestly believe this in the 21st century? You're little band of merry men armed with AR-15 couldn't do shit against the U.S. military. At best they could conduct a small scale insurgency but without the support of at least part of the military or the full backing of foreign governments they have no chance of overthrowing the shackles of tyranny.
Actually, from what I have seen, there is no better contradiction than the US military and the government. If things went down, the only thing I would be worried about are the local police taking any blindfold orders.

LosDaddie

Banned
Reading the article, this doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. The Oath Keepers had a meeting with black protestors, and this march is an exercise in our 2nd Amendment rights.

Also, I loved the leader's use of BLM.

Are they trying to get black people shot or what? Because this is how you get black people shot. A black man can't even carry a toy gun in a store in this country without getting shot, what the fuck do they think is gonna happen when they give black guys real guns?

The police aren't going to open fire on a row of guys with machine guns who'll all have cameras trained on them. Honestly, everything in that guy's statement sounds like someone who sees a PR opportunity, and wants to divide his opponents ("see hippy liberals? Those black people you're always standing up for need our guns!).

Reading the article, this doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. The Oath Keepers had a meeting with black protestors, and this march is an exercise in our 2nd Amendment rights.

Also, I loved the leader's use of BLM.

The idea is sound, but something like this has long reaching implications.

Mainstream America became terrified when the Panther Party started exercising their 2nd amendment rights.

Black-Panther-Guns.jpg

The Mulford Act was signed thereafter, restricting gun usage in California.

wildfire

Banned
I'm not really sure how to process this one.

Well you can start by putting your gun down.

Are they trying to get black people shot or what? Because this is how you get black people shot. A black man can't even carry a toy gun in a store in this country without getting shot, what the fuck do they think is gonna happen when they give black guys real guns?

You act like it can never happen but we have evidence black people at gun rallies can carry safely. The question is they can do it without their white knights around.

blackjaw

Can't open carry without a permit...so these guys are setting up a bunch of dudes to get arrested. What could go wrong?

Measley

I'm curious to see how second amendment advocates are going to react when they see black guys walking down streets or into stores armed with assault rifles.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Bizarre but I actually find this interesting.

The police will surely tread more cautiously I think. They don't want an open shootout. The reason they shoot first is because they are terrified.
If the guy with a gun has two guys with rifles behind him they are not going to become martyrs. The police are ultimately scared pussies power tripping.

Remember Clive Bundy? They had their guns pointed at police and nothing happened. When The playing field is level, police will try to deescalate.

creatchee

https://www.vice.com/read/leader-of-oath-keepers-says-the-group-is-in-ferguson-to-protect-the-weak-1201

You were invited to Ferguson by some members of the public, but what have your interactions with the rest of the residents and the protestors at large been like since you got there?
​Well, it's been mixed. Some of them... understand why we're there. Others are reacting emotionally, saying we're there to shoot black people and we're some kind of racist organization.

I'm a quarter Mexican. I'm not a very good white supremacist. We're guarding a black lady's bakery and a white guy's dentist firm and a Chinese restaurant and a beauty store owned by a Korean lady. It's not about race. To us it's about human rights.

Why do you think some people believe you were there as a racist group that wanted to shoot black protestors?
​We get a lot of bad press from the Southern Poverty Law Center and other groups that don't ever address us on the issues we actually stand for—that instead want to use smear tactics and false conflation, false association with people we have nothing in common with.

Look, I'm not subscribing to their "upcoming race war manufactured by the government" ideology(which, coincidentally doesn't make them racist in and of itself) or their birther/truther stances, but it's easy to call a white person with a gun racist, just as it's easy to judge anybody by simply looking at them by demographic on a news roll.

They really, REALLY like their guns and want to see all colors of hands holding them. Also, they're about as "Fuck The Police" as 80's NWA, so are they really the bad guy in Ferguson, let alone everywhere else?

User 406

Banned
Remember Clive Bundy? They had their guns pointed at police and nothing happened. When The playing field is level, police will try to deescalate.

Police try to deescalate when there's white people involved. I suspect a Bundy Ranch situation full of armed black guys might not have ended the same way.

I dunno, maybe it's an experiment that has to happen at some point, but I damn sure don't want to see more lives lost just to prove a point.

winjet81

I've been saying it for a while now, but the quickest way to get a gun control dialogue going in the US is to have mass protests complete with hundreds of open carrying minorities and disenfranchised people.

PopeReal

Black Americans get killed for NOT carrying guns. Or for toy guns.

Can't imagine this going over well. Mostly I just don't want any more deaths. If this actually worked and the police just stopped fucking with protesters we might see a new era.

Walpurgis

Banned
How can people honestly believe this in the 21st century? You're little band of merry men armed with AR-15 couldn't do shit against the U.S. military. At best they could conduct a small scale insurgency but without the support of at least part of the military or the full backing of foreign governments they have no chance of overthrowing the shackles of tyranny.
If Vietnam and the Middle East are anything to go by, a group like that could cause the U.S. issues for years.

I've been saying it for a while now, but the quickest way to get a gun control dialogue going in the US is to have mass protests complete with hundreds of open carrying minorities and disenfranchised people.

This.

It's evil genius levels of fear mongering that will push forward federal legislation enforcing stricter gun control, taking away MORE civil liberties from Black America.

I doubt the sincerity of this group, however I strongly believe that black people should exercise their second amendment rights, and more aggressively. The history of every struggle for civil rights in this country has included self defense.

Oath Keepers are more pro-gun and anti-government than they are anti-minority.

This is my takeaway as well. It's fascinating.

I really don't have a problem with this. If the Oath Keepers get to carry their giant guns around, anybody should be able to.

ThisGuy

I can see why a group of people like this would side with blacks in America. These guys fear the government is out to get them, brutality stripping them of their rights. And there are police doing exactly this to blacks. Sorta living the experience through them.

Everyone wants to be black, nobody wants to be black.

Just a first impression I got when reading this. I hope this doesn't turn into a disaster. That video of the ex-cop on Joe rogans show does not put me at ease.

boiled goose

good with gravy
If you're white. If you're a black 12 year old playing with a toy gun, they roll up on you like the local gang and dump 3 in your chest.

I agree there is a racial double standard. This is different tho. Not an individual but a group.

Remember the police are terrified of dying. They won't engage if there is a risk of them not having the upperhand.

I agree there is a racial double standard. This is different tho. Not an individual but a group.

Remember the police are terrified of dying. They won't engage if there is a risk of them not having the upperhand.

I dunno man, nowadays it's rare they don't have the upperhand since they come rolling in old military equipment and vehicles (no seriously...how did the acquirement of military vehicles become a thing?!)

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I'm curious to see how second amendment advocates are going to react when they see black guys walking down streets or into stores armed with assault rifles.

Honestly, based on the reactions in this thread, I'm more interested in seeing how liberals react to seeing that. After all, the Oath Keepers are nothing if not Second Amendment advocates, and they're the ones arming the group.

pigeon

Banned
Honestly, based on the reactions in this thread, I'm more interested in seeing how liberals react to seeing that. After all, the Oath Keepers are nothing if not Second Amendment advocates, and they're the ones arming the group.

This is why this is such a slick move by the Oath Keepers and one of the first things I've seen them do that really worries me.

On the conservative side, well, Second Amendment, Oath Keepers, they're probably covered. On the liberal side, you can't really get mad at them, because it's not even their idea, it's Malcolm X's! This is good old-fashioned Black Panther medicine. It's a radical standby.

Meanwhile the fact that they're a militia explicitly created to collect disaffected soldiers who would be willing to take up arms against and potentially overthrow the government? I didn't see that in any of the summary paragraphs!

Tactically really adept on their part. But not actually a good thing.

Enzom21

Are people in this thread upset about black people being armed or are they expressing concern that a very violent police force will kill the black people with guns?
Minorities are not the people with guns liberals are afraid of, the same cannot be said about Second Amendment advocates.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Are people in this thread upset about black people being armed or are they expressing concern that a very violent police force will kill the black people with guns?
Minorities are not the people with guns liberals are afraid of, the same cannot be said about Second Amendment advocates.

I mean, judging by all the "I hope this leads to more gun control" comments...

Think about it: here you have an organization that opposes government oppression offering to march with the oppressed of Ferguson in solidarity with their equal rights under the law. And it's being spun as a bad thing? The fight for civil rights has never come without some risk of government retaliation. Why is it only now that that risk is offered as an excuse to give up the fight?

EDIT: Put differently, the Oath Keepers, like all of us here, recognize that something has to change in Ferguson and elsewhere. They're advocating for that change to be the police respecting the rights of black residents. Some in this thread are hoping that change will be disarming the black residents. Wouldn't you much prefer the former to the latter?

Nivash

Bizarre but I actually find this interesting.

The police will surely tread more cautiously I think. They don't want an open shootout. The reason they shoot first is because they are terrified.
If the guy with a gun has two guys with rifles behind him they are not going to become martyrs. The police are ultimately scared pussies power tripping.

You do realize that the Bundy Bunch never actually "leveled the playing field", right? The feds weren't scared off. I mean, come on. They could have rolled right back in with SWAT teams and armored vehicles if they had wanted to. What actually happened was that they realized Bundy and his supporters were perfectly crazy and stupid enough to escalate things to a point where they would have to kill them all.

The feds simply didn't want another Waco on their hands over some damn cows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom