• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian on why their Microsoft published XB1 RPG Stormlands got cancelled

Nzyme32

If I recall the stories about it, it was cancelled during early meetings to green light the project, although I'm sure Obsidian had already done some pre-production beforehand. MS was also insisting on Kinect features at the time.

He says in the interview they were 7 months in or something having already done some of the work before the pitch, the company fully committed to it and then had too make drop large amounts of their staff

DR2K

Banned
I like how some people are trying to spin this a Microsoft trying to be a company that makes good business decisions.

Skelter

Banned
I will tell you 1 example of why your post is really stupid: Square didn't think bravely default would be a success because it was a Old School RPG and they thought it would bomb in the West, they gave it a chance and boom, we have a nice new IP with sequels to come.

Wasn't that only because of Nintendo? Same with Dragonquest 7 and 8.

Durante

Bethesda should have just bought Obsidian years ago. Fuck it, have them making off-year Elder Scrolls and Fallout games like Treyarch did with Call of Duty.
What? No!

How did Tyranny end up turning out?
I haven't played it yet (bought it of course :p) because we are getting so many great CRPGs that my backlog of those now probably spans years. But I heard good things.

LordRaptor

Id argue that they want system sellers.

I know its entirely anecdotal, but an exclusive Obsidian WRPG with an interesting premise and a Platinum attempt to out-Monster hunter Monster Hunter to my mind are far more likely to get people who are otherwise uninterested in the xbox to contemplate a purchase than another Halo / Forza / Gears does.

Instro

He says in the interview they were 7 months in or something having already done some of the work before the pitch, the company fully committed to it and then had too make drop large amounts of their staff

That sounds pretty early to me know, assuming the 7 months included that pre-production. My point being that it's not something that stretched on for years, so comments about the project being mismanaged by Obsidian or over budget are not reasonable.

blakep267

I know its entirely anecdotal, but an exclusive Obsidian WRPG with an interesting premise and a Platinum attempt to out-Monster hunter Monster Hunter to my mind are far more likely to get people who are otherwise uninterested in the xbox to contemplate a purchase than another Halo / Forza / Gears does.
Let's be real. Neither of those games are going to outsell forza halo gears etc. Forza Horizon 3 has done great sales wise, halo 5 even though lower than 3 still did really well for an exclusive. And gears is doing around judgement. Platinum games are instant bombas and an obsidian game may do kinda well but it's not going to have the tail or MT as the other core games do

Crackdown 4 and Sea of Thieves to be cancelled? I can't see how those are going to be money making games.
Service games are very popular on console. Out of the top 20 most played Xbox games, 18 of them are multiplayer service games. Sea of thieves and Crackdown both have service models in them

Trogdor1123

You'd rather they only release market tested guaranteed money makers over anything remotely risky? How boring.
I would hope they make every game in a way to make money yes. This doesn't mean you don't risks at all. I would much rather see small iterations and changes then them going crazy and leaving the market.

jay

I am also much more interested in explaining that a company is a business than getting interesting video games. That's why we all post on this business forum, right?

Where's Sony has no issues selling Gravity Rush and Gravity Rush 2 even though they don't sell that well and probably don't actually make them that much money, but they do it for the fans.

That's why MS was interested in them. But releasing bad games hurts the brand. Do you think MS threw away all the money spent on Scalebound lightly?

Where's Sony has no issues selling Gravity Rush and Gravity Rush 2 even though they don't sell that well and probably don't actually make them that much money, but they do it for the fans.

Don't kid yourself.

Rncewind

I will tell you 1 example of why your post is really stupid: Square didn't think bravely default would be a success because it was a Old School RPG and they thought it would bomb in the West, they gave it a chance and boom, we have a nice new IP with sequels to come.

ok now im gonna give you alot examples why you talking nonsense

first off what has to do with cancelling something where you as producer dont belive its gonna make money?

second off, bravel default WAS a save money projekt for japan, are you saying devoleping a non handheld game like in this topic and translating something to a anoter language has the same risk and reward strutcure?

third off how is this a counter argument to what i am saying? i respond to a post that implyed the first primary goal of multi billion company is not to make a profit but rather flush millions down to the toilet, saying this is bullocks. Are you the opinion not every company acts this way?

jay

You see, Sony isn't a business. Nor is any other publisher who put out risky projects. To be a business means canceling everything but 100% locks.

I feel bad for Obsidian a bit. I feel that they haven't got the attention and respect from the proper publishers that they deserve. Glad to see that they are still managing to survive all these years though.

I agree that just having a big library of exclusive games would absolutely help. But they dont seem to want just anything. I mean if they cancelled it, there had to be something that was 'off' about it.

Jito

Banned
I would hope they make every game in a way to make money yes. This doesn't mean you don't risks at all. I would much rather see small iterations and changes then them going crazy and leaving the market.

So you just want sequels is what you're saying?

I'm glad we have Sony putting out games like Until Dawn and The Last Guardian, and Nintendo reinventing Zelda.

AColdDay

I like how some people are trying to spin this a Microsoft trying to be a company that makes good business decisions.

I'm conflicted. While I think the industry overall is far too conservative as far as taking risks, I can't fault a company from shying away from projects that get out of control from their budgets.

Looking at this quote:
There's games that had a $10 million budget and had a champion and ended up the budget was $60 million and it shipped."

If I'm spending money on a real estate venture, and the guy who is making repairs quotes me a figure and it keeps growing and growing as the project goes further along...I'm not going to have a good feeling about that. If at the end, I end up having to commit six times the resources that I thought I was going to, that sucks. If that was me, I would never want to do business with them again.

Just because it is a large corporation doesn't absolve that. When you look at Microsoft, you go "Oh, well they are a big company, they can afford it", but when you look from the perspective of the mid-level manager at Microsoft who has to justify it (and will lose his job if it doesn't work out), it looks like a lot more reasonable decision.

Banned
Microsoft is just fucking up left and right.

I guess Kamiya or JP Kellams weren't good enough advocates for Scalebound.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I forgot it even came out. Sound really interesting. Anyone care to share their insights on it?

I keep meaning to finish it myself, but it's quite awesome. Has some slight flaws(balancing issues with combat mainly) but the decisions you are forced to make are raw and quite difficult. Great world, great characters, a really fascinating take on the "other side" of most good/evil conflict-focused rpg's. Highly recommended.

Rymuth

Neat, always wondered about this game - will give this article a read, thanks.

I hate when companies act like a business

It's almost as if they're running a business or something.

Yep MS doesn't support something they don't feel will be a money maker. How dare them.
Lawl - Devs must be tripping over themselves, offering MS exclusives when they see this all this risk taking. Smart like a fox, I tell ya.

theWB27

So you just want sequels is what you're saying?

I'm glad we have Sony putting out games like Until Dawn and The Last Guardian, and Nintendo reinventing Zelda.

And Microsoft putting out games like Recore and Ryse and Sunset Drive.

The game did not look good.

Almighty

Pretty good. Don't go into the game expecting some 40+ hour adventure though. Tyranny was designed to be short and replayable. I think it succeeds in that. My playthroughs ranged from 22ish hours to 9ish hours. The combat seems to be the biggest point of disagreement about the game.

I hate when companies act like a business

This is a creative industry. Taking a chance and a risk on a title for the benefit of their console loneup and the consumers who put faith in them to provide some variety. Look at Sony.

It's almost as if they're running a business or something.

Again Sony has a substantial lead over Microsoft and they've taken risk after risk this gen without fucking over their consumers or their variety in genre choice.

Same with every other publisher?? In fact this is probably less true of MS.

MS cancels games they think are bad. Better than releasing a mediocre game.

Thats right Microsoft has never published critical failures or anything that's inherently broken like MCC.

blakep267

They aren't employees of Microsoft. A more apt comparison would be Shannon loftis or somebody in third party development vouching for Scalebound to Phil

LordRaptor

Let's be real. Neither of those games are going to outsell forza halo gears etc.

No, they were probably never going to outsell those games.
They might have helped sell consoles though.

I don't think its a stretch to say anyone who really likes Halo, Gears and / or Forza already owns an Xbox, and anyone who doesn't isn't particularly swayed towards a purchase by the sales of those titles.

Do you think MS threw away all the money spent on Scalebound lightly?

I mean if they cancelled it, there had to be something that was 'off' about it.

Based on this article I'd suspect there was nobody in the US fighting Platinums corner.

That's why MS was interested in them. But releasing bad games hurts the brand. Do you think MS threw away all the money spent on Scalebound lightly?

Don't kid yourself.

Look up sales of Gravity Rush or it's sequel it's not setting the world on fire, it won't be making them a ton of money. Why else would they release them if not for the fans?

kennyamr

Urquhart concluded by saying: "Why did Stormwinds get canceled? Stomwinds got canceled because we didn't have an advocate."

That part makes me really sad because I know it's true, and not only in this industry but everywhere else. So many good things are lost into the ether just because they don't have "advocates" like some other less interesting proposals.

spectator

Is there any public indication yet whether Microsoft is retaining the IP for this game or Obsidian can try to take it/re-start it elsewhere?

Based on this article I'd suspect there was nobody in the US fighting Platinums corner.

I dont buy that. I mean they dont have a bunch of idiots running the company there, they must have seen the game running on multiple occasions. If they game looks interesting and feels good, they would absolutely not cancel it.

I just dont buy that the only thing wrong with this game was that no one was fighting for it in the US. Id have to imagine that its absolutely more complicated than that.

Between this and Scalebound, it seems Microsoft will only publish games that will be a guaranteed money maker.
To be fair, how many big, expensive publishing/funding deals with external developers have backfired on MS this gen? I think their biggest success so far has been Sunset Overdrive which still absolutely underperformed (which is a shame, because discounting Smash Bros on Wii U it's easily my game of the generation).

timberger

It's not what you know it's who you know, basically.

MS defenders rolling in here quick.

Yep, I'm always amazed by how quick the defense force for MS is on the draw on this site.

Same with every other publisher?? In fact this is probably less true of MS.

MS cancels games they think are bad. Better than releasing a mediocre game.

If this were even remotely true, MS wouldn't release any bad games and other publishers wouldn't release niche/hardcore centric games at all... yet both of these things happen a lot.

theWB27

Yes those were good risks they took, what 3 years ago now? Where are the risky games now?

Recore was shit.

There's always a caveat. How will you dismiss Quantum Break? If Recore was shit...isn't that proving they don't only release certified hits?

Top Bottom