• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus CEO: The headset and computer to run it will cost you ~$1,500

KooopaKid

Banned
I'll take this response as "I have no personal experience with what I made claim to and was speaking purely from an ill-informed gut instinct perspective."

Anyways, VR with others around can be a lot of fun. People who actually own them will attest to that. I can see certain kids in their sensitive teenage years being hesitant, though. Ya know, where the world revolves around fitting in and doing the specified 'cool' thing. But teenagers are dumb and usually grow out of that.

I would be interested in knowing the answers to those questions :

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165499067&postcount=838

I imagine mobile VR might be the most important right now for just getting some sort of VR experience to the masses, to ease people in to the idea. And while more and more people might start buying a Gear VR headset (and every purchased unit is important), keeping people wanting for more, making them want to use it on a daily basis will be crucial.

All of the game and media applications are nice but I'm not so sure people will always prefer watching a movie (with someone or alone) with a headset, or other experiences that are already available without the need for one.

However, online social interaction might be the most powerful experience that will hook people into using this tech frequently. Facebook/twitter is one thing, but just bringing people into specific virtual communities where they can do all of the regular stuff together plus things that they never could before feels really compelling. Something as rudimentary and unfinished as Riftmax or High Fidelity still looks incredible to me, that is it will once everything clicks together nicely. We're not there yet but even such rough and simple multiplayer social VR might just turn out to be the most used application for the early years of VR.

Seanspeed

Banned
Totally different atmosphere. Were people drunk? :)
It's the same thing as the Wii. They want to check out the new tech but here it won't go further than that. How long did they try it? Were the girls trying it also? If so for how long?
"But that doesn't count!"

Of course. Argument falls apart, therefore desperately try and dismiss relevant testimony.

Gumbie

Totally different atmosphere. Were people drunk? :)
It's the same thing as the Wii. They want to check out the new tech but here it won't go further than that. How long did they try it? Were the girls trying it also? If so for how long?

1. No they weren't drunk
2. Usually around 30 minutes.
3. Yes girls were trying it, why would they be an exception? 30 minutes or more on playtime

Also most people were wanting to play it again after they had went through round 1. People were asking me how they could could get it at home but most of the people there aren't tech savvy and have shitty computers so Morpheus would be a better choice for them.

Gumbie

Dude, put down your fanboy goggles and actually read the inane stuff PS4 gamers here have posted.

You said "while on the other hand Sony's VR will be able to do what $2,000 PC hardware can do EASILY, no problem whatsoever, and their VR experiences will be about high end, graphical quality, AAA, games only possible on a Sony console"

Can you show us the direct quotes where people said that because I haven't see that anywhere in this thread, but maybe I've just missed it?

KooopaKid

Banned
"But that doesn't count!"

Of course. Argument falls apart, therefore desperately try and dismiss relevant testimony.

Admit it's a particular social situation. It's to have a laugh. Will the mass market willing to do it in their quieter moments? I don't think so, not while their kids or wife are around.
During parties, yeah sure why not. You didn't answer my question about the girls. It's a good social indicator.

Such a bizarre statement to put out. Surprise! The cost of buying something for the PC rises if you don't already have a PC.

It's like looking at a free-to-play game and going well it's not free if you don't have a PC, it's more like $1200 to get started!

yazanov

Banned
oculus also has the gear VR product. when that product has an actual launch with it being full blitzed every where in cell phone stores, their is a very real chance for it to gain mainstream adoption. even more so than morpheus. where morpheus requires a PS4 to work, and rift requires a gaming pc, gear VR just requires a cell phone. at the very least that should make for some impressive demos at the cell phone store.

Isn't the Gear VR only compatible with the Samsung galaxy note 4 ? They have to make a standard specification and avoid compatibility issues with other manufactures before it can be adopted by the mainstream.

I think only Google can pull this off since they own Android platform and can pull the different phone manufactures together to make a standard for gear vr. Not Facebook.

martino

I suppose those numbers are based on a desktop computer. Imagine what a laptop with the same power costs, that's easy over $ 2,000.

Seems like Morpheus is the only VR-option for non-early adopters and -enthusiasts.

IMO VR price and content will make it an option for enthusiast people (sony ones ,or pc ones) for a long time.

Petrae

At the same time people have no problem whatsoever dropping 2k on a big screen for their PS4.

For that money (~1500$) you get a gaming machine that beats every console out in performance and visual fidelity, a dedicated monitor and a virtual reality headset. How can anyone complain?

Televisions are also proven entertainment vehicles and aren't potential gimmicks or fads. Even 3DTV is still a television set at the end of the day... so, even though 3D bombed, you can still watch 2D programs on it and get something out of your investment for years.

Conversely, investing in VR tech is risky. There's no proven track record for its success as an entertainment medium, and it's more than possible that it never catches on with the mainstream.

Um, it's not just for their ps4.

A PC isn't just for VR.

Edit: woops, beaten. But it should be repeated...it's a PC, it does a shitload of other stuff.

True. Arguably a TV is far more versatile in the area of home entertainment though. It's the centerpiece of the living room.

One is a screen, the other is a computer. If you get the computer that can run a Rift, it's gonna be a badass one too.

Seanspeed

Banned
Such a bizarre statement to put out. Surprise! The cost of buying something for the PC rises if you don't already have a PC.

It's like looking at a free-to-play game and going well it's not free if you don't have a PC, it's more like $1200 to get started!
I believe it was a comment made in answer to a question during an interview, not a self promoted statement/announcement to the press.

ZOONAMI

It's a pretty serious marketing blunder. Should only announce the price of the headset when you have it nailed down. Don't talk about minimum specs until right before release.

Admit it's a particular social situation. It's to have a laugh. Will the mass market willing to do it in their quieter moments? I don't think so, not while their kids or wife are around.
During parties, yeah sure why not. You didn't answer my question about the girls. It's a good social indicator.

Parties are the most social a situation can get and your argument was that it's "socially awkward" and "will only be accepted amongst nerds or in dark places".

Seanspeed

Banned
Televisions are also proven entertainment vehicles and aren't potential gimmicks or fads. Even 3DTV is still a television set at the end of the day... so, even though 3D bombed, you can still watch 2D programs on it and get something out of your investment for years.
Thankfully that $1000-1200 PC can do more than just VR!

Carn82

A PC isn't just for VR.

Edit: woops, beaten. But it should be repeated...it's a PC, it does a shitload of other stuff.

indeed, you can browse the internet, write up some documents, make some spreadsheets, watch a youtube video. Things you can also do with a 200 dollar laptop.

It's surprising they are targeting such a niche market given their Facebook ownership.

They're targetting the mobile market too with Gear VR.

Since when did HMDs become headsets?

VR's are of course HMD's by definition, but HMD's in the recent past like the Sony HMZ offer a virtual screen rather than VR experience so it's helpful to make a distinction to clarify that VR is something different as some still seem to think it just looks like a rectangular 3D TV screen.

Blobbers

Ideally, the perfect setup would be Morpheus and Oculus, because both have the potential to have loadse experiences exclusive to the platform, but alas, Oculus says my 280x is not good enough for the mighty Oculus. Fuck you Oculus.

Nzyme32

I'm pretty interested, do you have a link anywhere to what they said when it came out?.

The most famous quote:

[Television] won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night.
- Darryl F. Zanuck, head of 20th Century-Fox, 1946.

Also consider the "golden age" of TV becoming "mainstream" (by that times standards) for the first time was during the 50s and 60s; the cheapest TV cost $150 - which in today's terms is closer to $1200 to $1500. In that period TV went from about a million owners to 44 million. - http://www.livinghistoryfarm.org/farminginthe50s/life_17.html

Carn82

"it can do other stuff" is no justification for a high price. If I want to buy a decent kitchenknife I am interested in the "well, it's better to buy this set consisting of 20 high end japanese tempered steel knives, because you can do other stuff"-pitch.

But if I was in the market for a gaming PC and have interests in VR I wouldnt mind paying more to be 'future proof'.

indeed, you can browse the internet, write up some documents, make some spreadsheets, watch a youtube video. Things you can also do with a 200 dollar laptop.

With a more expensive rig you can play any new PC games and any multiplat games cheaper and better performing than console games (much of the time).

"it can do other stuff" is no justification for a high price. If I want to buy a decent kitchenknife I am interested in the "well, it's better to buy this set consisting of 20 high end japanese tempered steel knives, because you can do other stuff"-pitch.

But if I was in the market for a gaming PC and have interests in VR I wouldnt mind paying more to be 'future proof'.

It's bewildering to me that you're are saying this. It's a PC, good gaming PC's have always been the price they are now or more. Did you expect VR to run on a toaster? It's new technology dude. If you buy a PC for VR, you're probably a gamer, which means you'll probably use the PC for gaming in general.

baphomet

VR's are of course HMD's by definition, but HMD's in the recent past like the Sony HMZ offer a virtual screen rather than VR experience so it's helpful to make a distinction to clarify that VR is something different as some still seem to think it just looks like a rectangular 3D TV screen.

Going from this thread plenty seen to think it's literally just a screen directly in front if your face and nothing more.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ideally, the perfect setup would be Morpheus and Oculus, because both have the potential to have loadse experiences exclusive to the platform, but alas, Oculus says my 280x is not good enough for the mighty Oculus. Fuck you Oculus.
Fuck you Oculus? Because they pointed out the reality of the situation? lol

People are losing it.

Isn't the Gear VR only compatible with the Samsung galaxy note 4 ? They have to make a standard specification and avoid compatibility issues with other manufactures before it can be adopted by the mainstream.

There is Gear VR hardware for the Note 4 and the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge. And these are just innovator editions, the real consumer push is coming this fall and they'll have support for all of their flagship phones going forward

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This seems perfectly reasonable to me considering the specs you need to run it. The price will come down in time.

Standalone Blu-ray players were $1000 when it first launched. The PS3 was the first "affordable" one at $599.

baphomet

So it's closet marketing for PC sales, is it?

"Well, hey. VR didn't work out like we thought, but now you have this brand new PC!"

"But I was happy with my laptop and my tablet."

Most of us actually interested in purchasing this already have PCs that meet or exceed the recommended requirements.

Seanspeed

Banned
So it's closet marketing for PC sales, is it?

"Well, hey. VR didn't work out like we thought, but now you have this brand new PC!"

"But I was happy with my laptop and my tablet."
The person made the specific argument about how even you don't use the 3D on your 3DTV, people can still use it in 2D, so the investment isn't completely wasted. Well, same argument applies here. What person interested in gaming is gonna be unhappy with a powerful gaming PC still at their disposal?

ofcourse not, what a silly thought. But how would you convince someone to invest in a 1200+ dollar setup if theyre happy with a 200 dollar laptop, or their 5 years old gaming PC?

By telling them it's the only way to experience virtual reality on PC.

Nzyme32

ofcourse not, what a silly thought. But how would you convince someone to invest in a 1200+ dollar setup if theyre happy with a 200 dollar laptop, or their 5 years old gaming PC?

Since VR will not be solely the realm of gaming. It is the experiences that are not possible in other mediums that are most likely to drive VR. Right now, those types of things only lovely exist. Given several years that will change, and that is ultimately what all these companies are waiting for and hoping for both in the realms of gaming and outside of that. The killer apps have yet to be made, but the foundation of VR at this point is likely to make that happen. Chet Faliszec has a great talk on that

If they're not that interested in VR, you don't. It's not for them yet. But one day prices will come down to a point where it will be.

yes, and only gaming enthousiasts (and/or people with money to burn) will consider this kind of logic.

That's the target audience for PC rift in year one. They're not trying to get your mother or sister who only plays Candy Crush saga to invest $1500 in a PC for Oculus. There are other devices better suited to them.

martino

The most famous quote:

[Television] won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night.
- Darryl F. Zanuck, head of 20th Century-Fox, 1946.

Also consider the "golden age" of TV becoming "mainstream" (by that times standards) for the first time was during the 50s and 60s; the cheapest TV cost $150 - which in today's terms is closer to $1200 to $1500. In that period TV went from about a million viewers to 44 million. - http://www.livinghistoryfarm.org/farminginthe50s/life_17.html

You can't consider this a rule because you can find too much exceptions.
But i get it, you have the faith

Seanspeed

Banned
How are you going to convince somebody to buy a PS4 plus Project Morpheus for around $700 if they're already happy with their PS3?

Same answer either way: You show it to them. VR is gonna blow people away. It wont get everyone itching to throw tons of money at it, but it will plenty, and there are millions of us who already own a requisite PC or a PS4 that basically just need the headset. It doesn't need to be a worldwide explosion of mass market coverage right away, anyways. Just like most tech, costs come down. We'll all have 4k TV's soon enough, even though a few years ago they were thousands of dollars.

Top Bottom