• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus CEO: The headset and computer to run it will cost you ~$1,500

Jomjom

Banned
Are they even really competing with Sony? It's not like you have the choice of going Rift or Morpheus on PS4. If you have a PC, you're not going to buy a Morpheus for it. Their competition is the Vive, and you can expect around the same price point if not higher on that front.

I'm going to bet it won't be long before people figure out a way to get the Morpheus working on a PC since PC is so open. At that point Morpheus would be the best VR headset as it would work on both PS4 and PC.

Armadilo

Banned
So PS4 $400 + lets say $250 for Morpheus= $650 so about half what it would cost with the Oculus, not bad if you just want to try VR. Also possible PS4 Price drop

Considering they've posted the recommended specs to use it, I don't see how this would cost ~$1500. Perhaps if it was a prebuilt or something.

Another thing to note is the phrasing: "at most you should be in that $1,500 range." This budget probably includes a PC over the recommended specs.

Anything over $249 is DOA and will be seen as a Niche product in my eyes. I just don't see the general consumer spending that much on an accessory unfortunately. :/

tuxfool

Banned
What is up with all the people here stating "Sony it is".

Did people really expect a good vr experience to be cheap? It has been known for more than a year that a powerful computer would be needed simply by extrapolating the specs of the hardware.

Griss

Are there people super-hyped for the oculus who don't already have a PC setup?

Is this a serious question? How about: Are there people in this world who either don't have the space or money for a PC setup? The answer to that one should be more obvious. You know. Teens. Students. Poor people.

I've been on laptops my whole life. Never had the space or disposable income to build a PC considering that my photography hobby and travel comes first.

But yeah, there's tons and tons of people like me.

Elandyll

Banned
I'm guessing roughly $1000 computer and $500 headset.

Never going to touch anywhere close to mass makret at that kind of level, but maybe they were never aiming for that either?

As expected, Morpheus is the best bet to have VR be a "good" (as opposed to "best") and affordable experience (with a chance at touchign a larger market).
Hopefully it will be "good enough" to get people on board.

Personally, as long as the Morpheus headset is less than $300, I'll be on board eventually, and $200 or less it's day 1.

udivision

VR has nothing to do with the "Mass Market" currently, and won't for a while. I don't think the price is part of the discussion at this point.

Fantastic, I already have a DK2 and it runs great on my PC. I'll probably get some new GPUs when the retail version comes out, but for now my 970s run the DK2 great.

Hale-XF11

Anyone who thinks real VR is going to hit mass market appeal during the first generation launch is fooling their self. This is just the first step.

Exactly, this isn't shocking news by any means. It's how all new consumer tech starts out in the market.

In a couple of years or so, everyone with an average PC and half-way decent graphics card will have affordable VR headset options.

bj00rn_

Banned
This isn't the first time Oculus have said they would go for the high end market where VR has the best chance to shine btw, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

And there will be even more demanding VR HMDs and software for the PC well before the PS4 reaches its cycle. Also new GPUs. I'm glad someone bothers to drive future tech a little bit further than the competition on an open platform.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
As consoles keep proving, that doesn't necessarily have to be a factor.

Moving pictures on a TV are VERY different to what you experience with VR. You can't compare the two. Low resolution and framerate in VR means your experience is awful and you're likely to throw up your lunch.

Price will be a much bigger factor and a Morpheus at a reasonable price will take the lion's share of the VR market.

Price will always be the factor assuming people find the content and experience compelling. Consumer VR has failed before because the technology (and content) just wasn't there.

Sipheren

Banned
I guess the Rift will be free cause to build a half decent rig that will power the Oculus is going to be around $1500.....

rift.png

Source

border

"Let's all just pretend like Morpheus is going to be really cheap, even though no such indication has been given!"

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
The goal is to get mainstream people to buy it. $1500 just eliminated the Rift from reaching the casual audience. Your regular joe will not or can not afford that.

Did people really expect a good vr experience to be cheap? It has been known for more than a year that a powerful computer would be needed simply by extrapolating the specs of the hardware.

Of course. You're right. It's still a very high entry point from something that's essentially replacing your monitor.

I hit hope Oculus itself won't cost an arm and a leg, and it needs to be competitively priced. Oculus won't lose any business, but it is essentially a "Premium" entry point for VR. Sony's is aimed to those that own a PS4 or want an Oculus in the living room by simply plug and play.

People saying this wont be a success because they cant/don't want to spend the money on it?
What about the millions of people that already have a PC good enough to use it?

I don't think millions of people meet their recommended specs, which is what he's talking about.

I'm going to bet it won't be long before people figure out a way to get the Morpheus working on a PC since PC is so open. At that point Morpheus would be the best VR headset as it would work on both PS4 and PC.

Maybe? Even then, it would probably be a subpar experience compared to Rift or Vive on PC unless Sony AND the developers of each game create native support.

Feep

Banned
"Let's all just pretend like Morpheus is going to be really cheap, even though no such indication has been given!"
The headsets will almost certainly range from $250 to $450. We know the cost of a Playstation 4. This isn't that hard.

Considering we really know nothing about the Morpheus and the kind of experiences it can going to offer when running on a PS4... it's kind of hard to say at this point, no?
Well we know that it has shown it can play pretty and engaging content which is two of the most important aspects it needs to get started.

Just because it's a Ps4 and not a monster rig doesn't mean it won't be able to deliver quality content, it's just the vocal minority of some PC master race style posters and/or ignorant posters who like to perpetuate the myth that ps4 can't handle vr. Graphics won't be as good as current ps4 games of course but you really don't need that for great vr.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anything over $249 is DOA and will be seen as a Niche product in my eyes. I just don't see the general consumer spending that much on an accessory unfortunately. :/

Yeah, because tons of people don't happily drop $600 and more on phones every couple of years... wait.

It has to be seen as a must-have and not treated as an accessory. As long as the content is there and not available anywhere else, people will find a way to afford it.

Well we know that it has shown it can play pretty and engaging content which is two of the most important aspects it needs to get started.

Just because it's a Ps4 and not a monster rig doesn't mean it won't be able to deliver quality content, it's just the vocal minority of some PC master race style posters and/or ignorant posters who like to perpetuate the myth that ps4 can't handle vr. Graphics won't be as good as current ps4 games of course but you really don't need that for great vr.

It's got nothing to do with vocal PC enthusiasts. We know what kind of hardware it takes to run something at 120hz at high enough resolutions to avoid the screen door effect, and the PS4's hardware will dramatically limit what kind of visuals it can offer. We also know the kind of performance we're already seeing in normal 1080p multiplat (and exclusive) PS4 games. It's not great.

Yikes. OK.

Will wait until the version that only needs the horsepower found in my phone. Its only a matter of time.

But I'm biased in that I'm mostly indifferent to VR. That kind of price-tag will just keep it so.

McLovin

It would be cool if Sony let you use 2 synchronized ps4s for crazy visuals on the Morpheus. Even with a setup like that it would still be cheaper.

bigkrev

As it's Windows only, you need a 99 dollar Windows, and a 330 dollar GPU. The lowest priced PC with a 970 on the Neogaf "I Need a New PC" thread is about $1200 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...3LlMNaY8W4g/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&output=html

I thought we only learned that very recently. The thing is, a relatively good PC (my laptop can run Far Cry 3, Skyrim, etc) should cost at MOST $1000, which means the headset is around $500. Having said that, there is no way my $1000 laptop is going to be able to run Occulus optimally, so I'm hoping this means that he's expecting people to own a $1400 PC, and the headset will cost $100...and even still, there's just no part of me that can justify spending $1500 total on any kind of gaming experience. I know there are people out there to whom money is no object and will buy it regardless, but that price tag completely leaves out the vast majority of people in the world.

Uh, a 970 should be playing those games maxed at 60 FPS.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

At the very least the entry point for it (PS4+Morpheus) wont be $1,500 or more.

x3sphere

Seen the recommended specs and you should be able to build a PC for around $800-900.

The price of a GTX 970 will be lower by the time this thing releases so I would not be surprised if you'll be able to build the entire PC + headset for $1000 tops. Monitor would add to that cost but most people already have a monitor, and you don't need to go crazy on that there are good quality monitors for around $150-200.

tuxfool

Banned
The goal is to get mainstream people to buy it. $1500 just eliminated the Rift from reaching the casual audience. Your regular joe will not or can not afford that.

This was *never* the goal. The objective is to have some market appeal to those who can afford it.

The big advantage is that the PC is not a fixed platform, early adopters will need expensive computers to run this at the start, but prices of the required hardware will start dropping as time moves on, bringing affordability to more consumers.

The headsets will almost certainly range from $250 to $450. We know the cost of a Playstation 4. This isn't that hard.

I bet it'll always cost the price of Xbox One. It'll even drop in price within the first year if all goes well.

I bet Oculus will cost $50 more than Sony's hardware, but I'm not sure if they can convince people to buy it unless it comes bundled with games.

Hell, both will definitely come bundled with games like Eve if they want to reduce the entry point, similar to how GPU come with games.

So, in order to have a smooth high-resolution experience in what I assume will be AAA-level games, you have to have a decent computer. I kind of assumed that was the case. Morpheus will never have the graphical fidelity Oculus will have, because of PS4 hardware limitations. But Morpheus will have its place, if Sony can optimize it well enough.

It will be interesting to see the battle between Valve and Oculus, because I have a feeling Valves headset will have a very similar price range than Oculus.

This is why Morpheus needs to succeed in order to allow VR to take off. It's probably the lowest barrier for general consumer to experience VR. Yes, the software itself won't be ground breaking. Yes, most games might be very simple or some kind of short demos. But these things are needed as baby steps for VR. There need to be something on the selves so people can try it out. We won't get a VR game with scope of Skyrim anytime soon.

Yeah, because tons of people don't happily drop $600 and more on phones every couple of years... wait.

Actually, most people don't drop that kind of money for a phone (at least in the US). It's either broken into monthly installments, or subsidized by the carrier in some way.

bj00rn_

Banned

You very well know who the people are.. And if they had been a part of the VR discussion over the last few years they would know that this isn't exactly a surprise. Palmer has mentioned their vision for the high end PC market many times, that it's the only option for now.

Shouldn't be worrying. Their demos look solid. Their hardware is solid. They have 22M consumers who already owns PS4, and they can sell Morpheus on Best Buy shelves.

Oculus can enjoy the high end experience, but Sony is bringing it to your general audience it's a good for everyone including Oculus.
Here's my concern - VR has one shot to make a good first impression on people. It's wierd, it's expensive, and it can be awful when done poorly. My worry is that Sony gets Morpheus out, and people's immediate assumption will be - "Oh, I can use that to play Fallout/Call of Duty/etc in full VR. DOPE.". They then buy the headset, and are instead limited to what the PS4 hardware can crank out in VR.

How long until that consumer gives VR another fair shake?

I honestly kind of wish Sony would hold Morpheus until they can pair it with appropriately capable hardware.

Same can be said for the other players. If this stuff hits with a $1.5K price tag, that's a death sentence. Low adoption, low software output, and underwhelming content will nail the coffin shut.

This needs a slow rollout to get started, or it will crash and burn.

antonz

The Goal is to get it on the market and get the early adopters paying the early adopter tax while they also are ambassadors for the products spreading the good word of VR,

Then as the tech matures and cheapens the average consumer then makes the jump and starts buying it.

tuxfool

Banned
So, in order to have a smooth high-resolution experience in what I assume will be AAA-level games, you have to have a decent computer. I kind of assumed that was the case. Morpheus will never have the graphical fidelity Oculus will have, because of PS4 hardware limitations. But Morpheus will have its place, if Sony can optimize it well enough.

It will be interesting to see the battle between Valve and Oculus, because I have a feeling Valves headset will have a very similar price range than Oculus.

It won't have the graphical fidelity nor will it provide anywhere near as good a vr experience in general. Morpheus certainly might be good enough, just nowhere near the best.

Sipheren

Banned

You can skimp a bit here and there but it's still $1200-1500 for a decent system (my prices are AU as well so that probably makes a difference).

Point is, a realistic figure for a system that will be able to run modern games on medium/high settings at 2160x1200 (or higher) @60FPS is going to cost. The Rift will be around $500 so I would think realistic figure for starting from scratch would be closer to $2k.

1500 in US Dollars, not Australian Dollars....

Yeah, I realised that, will make a difference.

Mesoian

Are there people super-hyped for the oculus who don't already have a PC setup?

Yes. Console gamers.

VR had a pretty decent chance of convincing people to finally making a gaming rig. I think it still will, once there's a decent killer app ready.

In all realism though, by the time VR is commercially ready for people to jump into it, I bet that price point will be halved. 980's aren't going to be 800 dollars forever.

Top Bottom