• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus CEO: The headset and computer to run it will cost you ~$1,500

jmga

I think people don't know they will be able to play games at 1080p, just like Morpheus without needing a $1200 PC.

Armadilo

Banned
I believe the camera will be bundled with Morpheus and the move controller's can be bought for $10 used if you want but don't forget the the Dualshock 4 is a controller for VR also, Also their still using the old move controllers from the PS3 so maybe they will come out with the PS4 version

Tenebrous

HTC has already cautioned the Vive is "High End" VR and will be priced accordingly. Considering Oculus have been estimating "less than $500" from the very beginning, it's a solid bet Vive is going to be more than that.

I must've missed this... Wonderful news.

If Oculus can successfully price itself between Morpheus & Vive, we should be in a great position with headsets at varying price points offering different levels of experience (one would imagine).

It's all looking so wonderful.

Squishy3

I guess the Rift will be free cause to build a half decent rig that will power the Oculus is going to be around $1500.....

rift.png

Source
These are australian prices, lmao. No wonder the price discrepancy.

Oh already pointed out. Still should change it to equivalent parts on pcpartspicker or something.

Ciastek3214

Oh I believe it will be able to, but they will implement games that aren't so intense with the graphic side of things. They'll also probably have some kind of VR mode in games that takes away a lot of the eye candy.

Definitely don't see a game like pCARS looking too good on console hardware using this thing.

Having to go >60 over 30 fps is a crazy big tradeoff for the graphics side of things. Consider also the fact thet they'll have to be crazy conservative with keeping the framerate stable as any stutter or frame drops will be much more noticeable. All that on a rig that's more or less an equivalent of an i3/750 setup. To this you might say the feel of presence will be more important than the graphical fidelity, which is true to some extent. Whether what Morpheus will offer fits your or others expectations however, you can now only extrapolate from the facts given. What I'm thinking is Sony is gonna have to really invest into their Graphical Artists department, or we're in for a lot of pain and mental gymnastics.

Ferrio

Banned
pretty sure most people who are excited for VR have mind blowing graphics and interaction in mind.

This is the kind of stuff people expect from VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCftdpZ9lIs

Well not me. Certainly doesn't hurt, but it won't bring me outta the experience. Having done VR minecraft, even with shit graphics you still felt like you were there. That alongside with a game that's engaging that's all that's needed IMO.

All these other people need to tone their expectations down.

Kinthalis

Banned
True, but no one bought the Wii for the graphics they bought it for the tech. VR is something people will at least try for the novelty and being first to market is a huge deal especially if it's attached to a console (PS4 in this case) beforehand.

It's more than graphics though. Powerful hardware will be required to run the simulation well, you're talking two perspectives, lots of pixels, lots of frames, and there are some tricks we can get away with on 2D panels, that don't look right in 3D, and variant methodologiese become more costly in performance.

PC's will have a huge advantage in BOTH GPU muscle and CPU muscle, thanks to new API's coming out.

I forsee most VR games on Oculus being DX12 or OpenGL next.

Mesoian

lol at people trying to downplay morpheus and telling other people how inferior/bad the experience will be.

To be fair, Occulus and Samsung have been DRAMATICALLY more public facing with their VR efforts than Sony has. Most people don't know what to expect with the Morpheus, and the PS4's power efforts with AAA titles hasn't exactly been sterling thus far (which is no fault of Sony's, but still, that paints the situation).

Seanspeed

Banned
99% of the PC VR content right now is hot steaming garbage unfortunately. At launch maybe that will drop to 90%.
There's so many more hurdles to having a great VR experience running optimally on PC compared to any standard monitor game. It's very fragile and usually needs plenty of tweaking. One should hope most newcomers experience it first in a plug and play environment like Morpheus.
You know very well that the 'current state' of things on PC is a development state, with development headsets and a development SDK. Oculus are working full steam on ease of use, which is why they've temporarily halted OSX and Linux support in order to put 100% focus on Windows.

Dude, you know better than all this and it's absolutely shameful to see you spreading fud at this level.

Nothing shocking there really. My comp cost around a grand when I built it and it wasn't even very top of the line. (760 and i5 4670k)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
"People will spend $600 on an iPhone, so surely they will spend <ridiculous amount of money> on <consumer electronics device that is not as important or useful as a phone>!!!!"

I hoped this line of reasoning would have died after it proved to be untrue for so many other products.

Fair enough that you feel that way, but I think VR definitely has the potential to be seen as a necessity along the lines of a personal computer or television.

Obviously, the content needs to be there, but it offers an incredible experience unlike anything we've had available, so I think it will be a game-changer in a few years time and people will be willing to dish out some serious cash to have a proper setup.

I've never understood the line of thought that it's doomed to failure unless it's priced like a commodity that has already been through many years of a race to the bottom right out of the gate.

baphomet

Did anyone think any differently? Even with Morpheus youre looking at around a $900 investment with significantly lower graphical fidelity.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm still not sure what oculus minimum requirement even means.. Does that mean there is a minimum graphic quality requirement for games using the oculus ?

How can it be the same for all games..

Maximo

Don't understand some of the previous responses when it comes to the Oculus Dev Kits "Needs better Resolution" "Games need to be more impressive!" All these things require a beefier Rig. And I'm surprised some people are suddenly wondering why your going to need to spend So much.

VR wasn't suddenly going to explode and capture the mass market in the next year, if VR takes off it will be 5-10 years. VR isn't ready for the mass market, the resolution isn't high enough, heacktracking is no where near perfect, getting rid of the "fisheye" view, VR headsets are too big, hell most probably want a wireless VR experience but the tech isn't there.

Seems like most people are backseat businessmen, or the positive buzz and hype has got some people "annoyed" that VR isn't mass market already at a cheap price they can afford, you don't go cheap on VR and fuck the experience for everyone.

I'm sure Morpheus will be decent, if Sony decides to put a developer or two to make software I'm sure they will be able to bleed blood from a stone, console developers are wizards like that, making games out of obsolete hardware. The experience won't be mind blowing, definitely better then any VR experience we have had before because the last VR anyone experienced was what like..20-30 years ago? But it's definitely not "Mass Market" Yet.

This is the FIRST (to my knowledge) Consumer VR, doesn't suprise me it's not perfect and requires some serious power. Wasn't a Blu-Ray player when it first came out something like $1200?

Well, the other day Oculus put out some recommended specs for a PC:

• NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
  • Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
  • 8GB+ RAM
  • Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
  • 2x USB 3.0 ports
  • Windows 7 SP1 or newer
That's a $1000 PC, if you're building a new one using the cheapest stuff you can find.

$500 for Oculus seems about right considering the higher resolution (2160x1200 vs 1920x1080).

I'm still not sure what oculus minimum requirement even means.. Does that mean there is a minimum graphic quality requirement for games using the oculus ?

You'll need to play all the games at 2160x1200 since that's the native resolution, and Oculus recommends a minimum of 90fps, so your machine needs to run games at that too. Whether you turn settings up or down to meet that is up to you.

Why is everybody acting surprised here? Am I missing something?

I dunno, I'm really confused as well, did everyone think the Oculus was going to be some self sufficient device for <500 bucks? Like, you just buy the headset and whazamo you're in the world of amazing VR just like that?

I think a lot of people are misreading the Rift's RECOMMENDED (not minimum) specs too. The suggestion they made is a target spec for devs to build around. They want consumers to know that if you have that spec hardware, Rift compatible games will work 100%, and they want devs to know that if their game requires higher specs to function on Rift, they fucked up. No dev HAS to build a game that requires those specs though and anyone could make a game that worked with lower powered hardware or have graphic options to lower the fidelity to a point that it will work at lower specs.

HTC has already cautioned the Vive is "High End" VR and will be priced accordingly. Considering Oculus have been estimating "less than $500" from the very beginning, it's a solid bet Vive is going to be more than that.

I mean the "all-in" price is going to be similar if not higher. I agree though, most definitely it will probably be higher.

Squishy3

lol at people trying to downplay morpheus and telling other people how inferior/bad the experience will be.
I don't see how the Morpheus is going to offer an experience similar to the Rift on PS4 tech. It's going to need extra oomph somehow, if it wants to achieve that. You need 60 FPS minimum so people don't get motion sickness. (Oculus consumer is probably going to be much higher, though.)

You want a high resolution so it doesn't look like shit, since it's splitting the image.

Seanspeed

Banned
A $1500 PC will deliver a better technical VR experience than a $400 PS4!? :O
You don't say...lol.
$1500 figure included the Oculus Rift.

He also said 'at most'.

There is no minimum requirement. Just a recommended one.

I dunno, I'm really confused as well, did everyone think the Oculus was going to be some self sufficient device for <500 bucks? Like, you just buy the headset and whazamo you're in the world of amazing VR just like that?
Pretty much, yes. We live in an age of wonder. Gotta dream bigger.

Mesoian

Yes, according to them. A 980 with 8 gigs of ram.

Now, that being said, if I had to guess that benchmark, it would probably be the card that effortlessly got the Portal Demo and the RISE Unreal 4 demos running at 120fps at 2550 x 1200 without breaking a sweat.

We still don't know what a true gaming experience using ANY vr headsets will be.

Rosur

Morpheus is gonna be for mass market (and get people into VR).

Occulus is gonna be for better experiences (60fps/ 1440p) or whatever the panels are and same with Valve's VR).

Still not decided what way I go yet (leaning toward Morpheus).

Dugna

Guy should've just said a decent or high end computer, even if the parts for the PC go down significantly by the time oculus comes out this headline will be stuck in some people's heads.

All we need is for Sony to not screw up morpheus and make it a decent price, then we can have some VR for the future and heck then Sony can definitely recoup the R&D cost.

antonz

Oculus is basically telling developers when you make a game aim for it to operate at its best on hardware at X level. If you have a superior PC then great but they are aiming for a specific level.

bigkrev

Also, you don't need to factor a Monitor into your build people. You can hook it up to your TV, and besides, aren't you already buying an expensive device to display the game to you anyway?

Gaffers why do you take this as a suprise??

Of course you will need a high end rig for the RIFT your pretty much pushing out on to 3 screens with 2 of those displays running the RIFT

The ps4 won't have no where enough juice to run some of the games the rift will be able to run

It isn't that surprising from what I understand the HMD to be. I'm still in for the PC experience, and I hope Sony is able to make Morpheus suitable for the low end crowd.

OptimusLime

Can't say Im too surprised, early adopter costs for an early adopter-aimed device. It'll be better in its 2nd gen, if VR catches on of course.

ekim

If you look through the Oculus Forums there are even people having good experiences with integrated CPU graphics. These apps are mostly movie viewers or low poly stuff but nonetheless the 970/i5 requirements are RECOMMENDED.

Ninja Edit: meh, too late.

border

Why is everybody acting surprised here? Am I missing something?

There are a lot of hard realities to VR that people were able to imagine didn't exist when the consumer product was a hypothetical thing that was years away.

But now that we are closer, people are going to be increasingly forced to deal with those realities. Most notable are the problems that VR headsets are really expensive and that they require powerful hardware.

Guri

Yeah, that sound about right. And also fair, considering their specs will work for a very long period of time. Surprised at people thinking this is DOA just because of specs. Morpheus won't be able to achieve the same results in terms of quality or performance, due to an inferior hardware on the PS4, but both can achieve great results, especially because they aren't directly competing with each other. Both are exclusives to their platforms, which have different audiences.

I don't see how the Morpheus is going to offer an experience similar to the Rift on PS4 tech. It's going to need extra oomph somehow, if it wants to achieve that. You need 60 FPS minimum so people don't get motion sickness. (Oculus consumer is probably going to be much higher, though.)

You want a high resolution so it doesn't look like shit, since it's splitting the image.

People need to get their mind out of the arms race for starters. Leave realism expectations at the door and concern yourself with art. What kind of a rig do you imagine you would need to power a game like No Man's Sky, or Tearaway at 60FPS / 1080p? It won't take much. The PC and PS4 will be capable of different levels of rendering tech, this is fact, but presence destroys the necessity for cutting edge graphics. Consistency is much more important.

Minecraft is mind blowing in VR.

Mesoian

Morpheus is gonna be for mass market (and get people into VR).

Occulus is gonna be for better experiences (60fps/ 1440p) or whatever the panels are and same with Valve's VR).

Still not decided what way I go yet (leaning toward Morpheus).

Go where the games are.

For a long time, my fear about the resurgence of VR has been that the copycat mass-market players will beat the better devices to market and with a much lower price point. The crappy experience afforded by these devices (poor gfx, lag, nausea) will be most people's first experience with VR and it will sour them on it. It will then be declared a stillborn fad just as it was last time, and that will be that. At least this time, I think a niche will survive on PC and for specialized applications.

In fact, this is what I'm predicting will happen.

Oreoleo

When you consider what kind of PC it takes to run new games like Witcher 3 and GTAV maxxed out this really isn't surprising. At all. To play those games @ >1080p and over 60fps with an Oculus could cost $1500 no problem.

But if you just wanna play like Half-Life 2 or Skyrim in VR I doubt the majority on this board would have to do much/any spending at all beyond the initial cost of the Oculus.

Crayon

I want 2 vr headsets and 2 boxes to drive them so me and the so can "go in" together. It will probably have to be a pair of Morpheus.

baphomet

People need to get their mind out of the arms race for starters. Leave realism expectations at the door and concern yourself with art. What kind of a rig do you imagine you would need to power a game like No Man's Sky, or Tearaway at 60FPS / 1080p? It won't take much. The PC and PS4 will be capable of different levels of rendering tech, this is fact, but presence destroys the necessity for cutting edge graphics. Consistency is much more important.

Minecraft is mind blowing in VR.

Youre not rendering at 1080p. Youre rendering at the very least double that.

grtkbrandon

Neo Member
Well, the other day Oculus put out some recommended specs for a PC:

• NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
  • Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
  • 8GB+ RAM
  • Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
  • 2x USB 3.0 ports
  • Windows 7 SP1 or newer
That's a $1000 PC, if you're building a new one using the cheapest stuff you can find.

$500 for Oculus seems about right considering the higher resolution (2160x1200 vs 1920x1080).

This is also assuming you've never owned a computer in your life and have no foundation to upgrade from. A lot of people will just need to upgrade their mobo, CPU, GPU, and maybe their PSU.

bj00rn_

Banned

There's a big difference between the meanings of "inferior" and "bad". They are not necessarily the same thing. I think no one is saying Morpheus is bad. But it goes without saying that a whatever hypothetical low end device might be somewhat inferior to a high end device. There's nothing wrong with pointing out that. Catering for the high end market is what Oculus has had in their plans for the last couple of years, and they have been open about it.

Top Bottom