• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus holds "diversity luncheon;" refuses to address Luckey questions. CEO needs mom

I stayed at a Trump Hotel once when I was going to take the bar exam in Atlantic City, NJ. Does that mean I support Donald Trump? I don't buy your argument, not that I have any interest in Oculus.

That was not my point. I meant that you would be supporting Oculus financially by buying their product. Supporting Oculus would mean more power to idiots like Palmer Luckey.

It is illegal to fire Palmer Luckey because he did a legal non-work activity. I find his actions reprehensible too, but Facebook is doing the best they can stuck between the legal requirement to not discriminate against an asshole and people who are upset that they employ someone who turned out to be such a major asshole.

That's simply not true in most states. You can fire someone for any reason *other* than one covered by the various anti-discrimination laws. There's no law against firing someone for being an asshole.

Tubobutts

I have a question for people who are worried about the innocent Oculus employees:

What exactly are you worried about? Is it that they'll lose their jobs? If that's the case why do you think I should support a company that would rather fire innocent employees than the person who the boycott is meant to protest?

Their PR is doing a terrible job. Address it in a way that isn't just his opinions aren't our own. I wasn't in the market for VR headsets yet, but this is making me not want to support them at all.

I stayed at a Trump Hotel once when I was going to take the bar exam in Atlantic City, NJ. Does that mean I support Donald Trump? I don't buy your argument, not that I have any interest in Oculus.

Was he running for president on a blatant platform of hate at the time?

Are you paying to stay in a hotel years ago and Luckey financing Nimble America now remotely comparable?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It is illegal to fire Palmer Luckey because he did a legal non-work activity. I find his actions reprehensible too, but Facebook is doing the best they can stuck between the legal requirement to not discriminate against an asshole and people who are upset that they employ someone who turned out to be such a major asshole.

They're not in an at-will state? That's unfortunate in this situation.

luckey's official word was an immediately discredited pack of lies. they still have not addressed the issue at all.

They don't need to. Did you not read the quotes?

whether or not we agree with those views. It is important to remember that Palmer acted independently in a personal capacity, and was in no way representing the company.

I take him at his word. Those of you who have known me before I joined Oculus know that I would not work in a place that I thought condoned, or spread hate.

Again, they didn't say the agreed nor disagreed with his views and his views do not represent the company. The second quote was guy stating that he wouldn't work at a place that condoned or spread hate. In combination with the first post do you not see what was stated?

Why would they need to respond any further?

That's simply not true in most states. You can fire someone for any reason *other* than one covered by the various anti-discrimination laws. There's no law against firing someone for being an asshole.

In direct response to the controversy and people with pitchforks there could be a strong case made that the firing was in response to legally held personal political opinion. Then again, alot of companies could fire someone for the bad PR, but again we do not know the specifics of his employment or whether or not he has a contract that would either make it difficult or expensive to remove him.

Which also since Oculus is located in Irvine firing someone based off of political belief is illegal according to California's FEHA.

Makonero

Their PR is doing a terrible job. Address it in a way that isn't just his opinions aren't our own. I wasn't in the market for VR headsets yet, but this is making me not want to support them at all.

I think their PR is doing a great job. This story continues to disappear and within a few months people will forget. Eventually, Luckey will appear from hiding and all will be forgotten.

There will be those of us who remember, but that doesn't matter much. Especially once VR becomes more mainstream.

It makes me sad that you can be a shitlord like Luckey Palmer and get away with it.

Krejlooc

Banned

Because their quotes don't match what he was saying. They sound very much like they never actually investigated what was being said. Take that "was in no way representing the company" line. That's pure bullshit, since he directly equates the company doing well to the source of the funds for his hate group.

I have a question for people who are worried about the innocent Oculus employees:

What exactly are you worried about? Is it that they'll lose their jobs? If that's the case why do you think I should support a company that would rather fire innocent employees than the person who the boycott is meant to protest?

It is not our job to pay their salaries. It is, however, our job to stand up to racism in any form.

SZips

The fact that there are people that still believe the outrage over this is simply because he supports one candidate over another is simply astonishing.

The mom comment is funny but is also a big hint that Oculus has no idea how to handle this situation. Look, if it were as simple as personal politics then this would be a brain dead, easy PR situation. Instead we have prominent Oculus employees waiving briefcases in reporters faces and literally running to their mom.

Their entire handling of this situation has been piss poor. Full stop. They don't need you to do their PR work for them. They have done nothing to earn your defense.

They don't need to. Did you not read the quotes?

Again, they didn't say the agreed nor disagreed with his views and his views do not represent the company. The second quote was guy stating that he wouldn't work at a place that condoned or spread hate. In combination with the first post do you not see what was stated?

In direct response to the controversy and people with pitchforks there could be a strong case made that the firing was in response to legally held personal political opinion. Then again, alot of companies could fire someone for the bad PR, but again we do not know the specifics of his employment or whether or not he has a contract that would either make it difficult or expensive to remove him.

Which also since Oculus is located in Irvine firing someone based off of political belief is illegal according to California's FEHA.

Now factor in the fact that what Palmer did goes far beyond political belief.

Was he running for president on a blatant platform of hate at the time?

Are you paying to stay in a hotel years ago and Luckey financing Nimble America now remotely comparable?

This was years ago, so no. But I don't think that is relevant.

I have zero problems with people not buying Oculus because they don't want to support Luckey. It is their choice; I think they are right to choose that.

People can argue semantics all they want on whether you "literally support" someone by buying their product/service. If that is what someone is saying, that is not really meaningful in the first place imo. I think if someone has the ability to make all their choices based on every potential negative outcome, that is a great place to be in.

"at-will" refers to a particular type of employment contract, typically where no written agreement has been made. Luckey certainly is not an at-will employee, making the state laws regarding at-will irrelevant. They can't just fire Luckey for any reason. It is likely defined within his contract what reasons and how he can be fired. Assuming they even want to, because that can having a chilling effect on the entire company that if a figurehead like luckey can be fired for that, than you better hide your personal beliefs because you could be next.

I personally believe they should fire Luckey, but I don't find it amazing that they haven't yet.

Maybe that one guy asking for his mom had just got burned by Kamiya-san on Twitter?

Thinking_Face_Emoji_grande.png

22 year old black male here, and that is complete bullshit. At least, when you're anything but white it is.
Ok. I don't really want to get into a race based argument, so I'll take your word for it. You can substitute the word "immature" where I wrote kid in my original post. The point still stands, Palmer was already sidelined from a while back. His title is "founder" and professional management like Iribe were brought in instead of him. He's not the CEO and we don't have evidence showing that he could threaten anyone's job at Oculus.

If facebook had evidence of Palmer discriminating at work as some people in this thread fear he could do, I think they'd cut him loose immediately. That kind of conduct is illegal in California so it would be easy to get rid of him (unlike political donations and activity which are legally protected)

Felensis

Banned
GAF what grinds my gears is that a lot of you guys seemingly want to ditch Oculus at all. I think Luckey is a dumb ass for sure and it would be best if he retires, but I don't want Oculus to disappear.

I think it's a decent product, competition is necessary and there are a lot of fine ppl working at Oculus which most probably aren't affiliated at all with Luckey's bullshit.

Krejlooc

Banned
GAF what grinds my gears is that a lot of you guys seemingly want to ditch Oculus at all. I think Luckey is a dumb ass for sure and it would be best if he retires, but I don't want Oculus to disappear.

I think it's a decent product, competition is necessary and there are a lot of fine ppl working at Oculus which most probably aren't affiliated at all with Luckey's bullshit.

Oculus' practices in the VR sphere have been anti-consumer and anti-competitive. Their product doesn't place the industry in it's best interest. What "grinds my gears" is that this was brought up less than a page ago. I have absolutely ditched Oculus. As a VR developer, yes, I am flat out telling people to not support their company. Their success isn't the same as VR's success. What they are pushing is bad for VR. Palmer Luckey's shithead behavior is just the icing on the cake.

Ok. I don't really want to get into a race based argument, so I'll take your word for it. You can substitute the word "immature" where I wrote kid in my original post. The point still stands, Palmer was already sidelined from a while back. His title is "founder" and professional management like Iribe were brought in instead of him. He's not the CEO and we don't have evidence showing that he could threaten anyone's job at Oculus.

If facebook had evidence of Palmer discriminating at work as some people in this thread fear he could do, I think they'd cut him loose immediately. That kind of conduct is illegal in California so it would be easy to get rid of him (unlike political donations and activity which are legally protected)

Um... I don't think NimbleAmerica qualifies as a legitimate political group. I doubt they've registered with anything.

If he wanted to make "political donations" he should have donated to Trump or Johnson.

Absinthe

I think their PR is doing a great job. This story continues to disappear and within a few months people will forget. Eventually, Luckey will appear from hiding and all will be forgotten.

There will be those of us who remember, but that doesn't matter much. Especially once VR becomes more mainstream.

It makes me sad that you can be a shitlord like Luckey Palmer and get away with it.

He may be a shitlord but if it wasn't for that shitlord VR wouldn't be here today.

As much as we like to hate on Oculus and the fact that Luckey may be an ignorant child, Oculus has brought quality VR to the masses along with pushing Valve to do the same.

Also, he's going nowhere. Regardless of how upset everyone is, he is critical to the development of Oculus products and the Rift. My prediction is this will all blow over in 6 months to a year and everyone will move on.

Um... I don't think NimbleAmerica qualifies as a legitimate political group. I doubt they've registered with anything.

If he wanted to make "political donations" he should have donated to Trump or Johnson.

No they don't. But what have they really done other than post some stupid billboard.

Sure their website is trash and so is their motive, but I've yet to see anything they've actually been responsible for. Maybe Luckey getting "caught" was a good thing because now their shitposting is under a microscope and they lost their golden goose.

Krejlooc

Banned
He may be a shitlord but if it wasn't for that shitlord VR wouldn't be here today.

As much as we like to hate on Oculus and the fact that Luckey may be an ignorant child, Oculus has brought quality VR to the masses along with pushing Valve to do the same.

Also, he's going nowhere. Regardless of how upset everyone is, he is critical to the development of Oculus products and the Rift. My prediction is this will all blow over in 6 months to a year and everyone will move on.

No, he really isn't.

Maximo

They may have been the first to the playground but as said in the post before mine they have done nothing but anti consumer practices allowing only their games to be played on their headset, closed their platform off while the competition is completely open and now their face and creator is a racist piece of shit? Nah the company can burn, if it effects their sales and bottom line then it ain't the fucking janitor that needs to go.

Actually a big part of the $10k he donated, according to news reports, went to paying a lawyer who set up the corporate structure for Nimble America as a registered 501(c)4 organization. See the original article where it references the "Nimble attorneys" http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...re-secretly-funding-trump-s-meme-machine.html

Krejlooc

Banned
Actually a big part of the $10k he donated, according to news reports, went to paying a lawyer who set up the corporate structure for Nimble America as a registered 501(c)4 organization. See the original article where it references the "Nimble attorneys" http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...re-secretly-funding-trump-s-meme-machine.html

So? The National Ku Klux Klan Museum is organized as a 501(c)3 organization. The word "legitimate" in this case means "free from criticism."

karasu

Gaming being progressive as always. They probably think we're too poor to afford VR so they don't give a fuck about us.

So? The National Ku Klux Klan Museum is organized as a 501(c)3 organization. The word "legitimate" in this case means "free from criticism."
I was replying to someone who said, "I doubt they've registered with anything." I interpreted legitimate in their post as a reference to that sentence of their post.

Absinthe

No, he really isn't.

You really think Valve, Sony, and countless other companies weren't already working on VR tech way before the Oculus kickstarter?

Come on.

You might want to do a little research into MTBS3D forum and Palmer Luckeys posts on his VR headset he was developing. I'm not saying Sony and Valve were not already working on VR but the kickstarters popularity gave it validity and jumpstarted the current VR trend we are in today. Along with Carmack bringing Palmers prototype to E3 and getting behind it like he did because he believed in the vision Palmer had.

Once again, I'm not defending Palmer in any way but to deny his influence on the scale of today's VR is completely off base.

Chindogg

In this situation, yeah. But I'd rather let one asshole slide than ever giving companies the right to shitcan people for whatever reason they concoct. I'll take that trade off any day of the week.

Krejlooc

Banned
You might want to do a little research into MTBS3D forum and Palmer Luckeys posts on his VR headset he was developing

I guarantee you I know more about this than you do. He isn't in any position at Oculus to actually affect the design or production of the rift going forward.

Along with Carmack bringing Palmers prototype to E3 and getting behind it like he did because he believed in the vision Palmer had.

Carmack brought the prototype to Quakecon, not E3. It was Quakecon where it gained the attention, as "Carmack's VR."

Alienfan

I think firing Luckey is an absurd request, given how much he has contributed to Oculus - but Facebook unwilling to address the whole controversy is very shitty, and only going to result in more negative PR.

kiguel182

This is very disappointing. But at this point is like they are condoning his action and views and that stops being only his actions affecting the company and instead the whole company is to blame here.

I think firing Luckey is an absurd request, given how much he has contributed to Oculus - but Facebook unwilling to address the whole controversy is very shitty, and only going to result in more negative PR.
But at the end of the day palmer sold the company to Facebook, so any credit he may deserve for creating the rift means fuck all since he exchanged that credit for $700m.

Also someone deserving credit for something doesn't mean they should be exempt from criticism and punishment for totally separate issues and actions.

rockyt

I myself will not support like Luckey or Oculus and the company that are involve until they address the issues with him or be rid of him. Those that says what about the people at the company who dont believe in him I say they should leave or voice their opinions. Basically I feel that the people who say nothing and let this carry on is worse than the person committing the act. If Oculus becomes a failure to this than good. Their be other who will take its place. A company that does not address this kind of issues says a lot about the company itself.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

He helped kickstart a VR headset, if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have VR!

We can't fire him just because he gave 10,000 dollars to a racist hate group. What is 10,000 invested to make people hate minorities and women compared to his kickstarter! So what if he's a racist shit head that women and minorities have to work with? Give the poor guy a pass!

Top Bottom