• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift will have the ability to "stream Xbox One games" in "virtual cinema"

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like there's an important part of this story missing because this honestly looks like the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Instead of playing a game on your tv you're looking through an oculus and playing the game on a virtual tv?

LuuKyK

This is such a pointless idea. I literally laughed at this because its just hilarious.

I can stream a game on to a virtual 2D screen in a virtual 3D living room from my xbox sitting in my real living room on my real 2D screen.

Guymelef

Somebody is waiting for this to upgrade his room...
lolgameroom.jpg

I'm confused as hell as to what's going on... Let me get this straight. So instead of playing games in your actual living room, you can play games in a virtual one?? o_O

ekim

Lol. That's...interesting. Can you at least skip the virtual room and have the game running in full?

Trust me - you don't want to do that. But actually it's nice if you have a small TV or if they would include an actual cinema sized screen.

I'm confused as hell as to what's going on... Let me get this straight. So instead of playing games in your actual living room, you can play games in a virtual one?? o_O

In regards to streaming Xbox One games, yes. Microsoft wanted a piece of the VR pie, and this is what they took, lol!

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
If it gives the impression of playing games on a 100 inch screen or something like that, I guess I can see the appeal as I was gonna get a rift anyway for PC games and would definitely use this feature for my Xbone when the wife wants to watch TV.

jax

Banned
Really got some great minds at Oculus. Constantly pushing the envelope on what is possible with gaming. Facebook did well in this investment.

I don't really get the point of this. Why wouldn't you just play your xbox games on a TV instead of looking at a virtual screen with the Rift?

Silvard

Wouldn't graphical detail and resolution suffer a lot by playing through this? There are some jokes in this distance and being able to tell the difference but yeah.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
This has to be a proof of concept right? No way they actually think people will want to play games like that.

No way that is just proof of concept. Why on earth would they show a virtual living room at all if they did not intend for that to be visual representation of what the player would see?

This is just hilariously bad.

LaneDS

From my time with the Rift DK2, I know it's easy to do convincing large screens inside of the Rift and I imagine this is going for something similar. Obviously if you're in this virtual theater and twenty "feet" away from the screen it won't be that impressive but the option to have a giant virtual display in front of you (that's in reality strapped to your face) is actually neater than it may sound or seem at first glance.

This seems like something that neither side is actually interested in or trying to do but simply something MS did so they can PR speak around having a VR headset.

In regards to streaming Xbox One games, yes. Microsoft wanted a piece of the VR pie, and this is what they took, lol!

But this isn't even a piece of the VR pie. It's like the hardened, sticky, moldy clump of blueberry pie filling on the bottom of the pie pan after it sat undiscovered in the back of a refrigerator for five weeks.

instead of playing forza on her xbox one on her tv in her room, the woman streams the xbox one game to her pc and puts on the oculus rift so she can watch her avatar sit in a room playing xbox one on the virtual screen in the room

which is something no one would ever want to do

This makes no god damned sense. What is the point of doing that?!

If they are saving native xbox support for E3 then thats a big fucking deal and would make the Rift the headset to buy unless Sony offers official PC support.

This streaming solution however is pretty hilarious.

Tntnico

Its good news to me, I prefer stream Xbox One on virtual cinema screen than on my 10 inches Surface Pro !

mjontrix

Wouldn't graphical detail and resolution suffer a lot by playing through this? There are some jokes in this distance and being able to tell the difference but yeah.

Depends on the VR headset resolution and the processing power of the computer

Cinemas are going to end up extinct by this though.

scitek

So stream non-VR games into a VR living room. While actually in your living room.

Yeah. I bet people can't wait. What a silly concept.

I'd have loved something like it in college, when I didn't have room for a huge TV. Or money, which this will cost a good bit of to take advantage of.

Top Bottom