• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift will have the ability to "stream Xbox One games" in "virtual cinema"

M.D

6feb53f242d27cf7fc174tluv7.jpg

instead of playing forza on her xbox one on her tv in her room, the woman streams the xbox one game to her pc and puts on the oculus rift so she can watch her avatar sit in a room playing xbox one on the virtual screen in the room

which is something no one would ever want to do
My brother does because he hates people and wants to live in a world without them, he says hes never seeing a movie at the theater again because of the virtual cinema

jax

Banned
Depends on the VR headset resolution and the processing power of the computer

Cinemas are going to end up extinct by this though.
hahaha. You're more clueless than Oculus. Considering an Xbox One + 120 inch 1080p projector costs about 1/3 as much as a PC capable running oculus + oculus, I would say extinct is a little bit of a hyperbole. This feature is a stupid one that no one asked for.

kevin1025

Banned
This just sounds like Xbox wanted to jump onto the VR thing first this week before Sony really throws Morpheus in front of the world in a few days.

Hahaha. This is one of the silliest things Ive ever seen. Of course, this opens up other possibilities that could end up being cool, but that specific demo is so dumb.

Haunted

Virtually limitless potential to create astounding vistas for this to take place in. And they chose the virtual representation of a fucking boring everyday normal room.

They could have asked for the ocean, and chose a glass of water instead.

darkwing

I'm confused, so you would need to turn on your PC to stream a virtual living room TV when you are playing on the xbone? why don't you just turn off the PC/Occulus and turn on the TV

This just sounds like Xbox wanted to jump onto the VR thing first this week before Sony really throws Morpheus in front of the world in a few days.

Yeah thats basically what I'm seeing. This seems like something MS did for PR so they can sort of relate themselves to being "relevant" to VR.

Cru

So stream non-VR games into a VR living room. While actually in your living room.

Yeah. I bet people can't wait. What a silly concept.

It's just streaming a video feed, The xbox isn't receiving motion inputs.

Let's downplay everything.

Finally, I can play a video game in a better decorated room than the one I am currently in.

They are truly making virtual life better than real life.

So wait, let me get this straight:

You need the Oculus (duh of course)
You need an Oculus-capable PC? (as in high-end gaming PC?)
You need an Xbox One

If that's the case, there are going to be so few people that have all three I can't possibly understand why'd they go through the effort of even developing this.

darkwing

You need an Xbox One

If that's the case, there are going to be so few people that have all three I can't possibly understand why'd they go through the effort of even developing this.

people with Windows 10

Mechazawa

Wouldn't graphical detail and resolution suffer a lot by playing through this? There are some jokes in this distance and being able to tell the difference but yeah.

Those Xbox games aren't being run natively. It's just streaming from the Xbox one.

All they're doing is taking a feature from Windows 10, and instead of streaming the game to your monitor, it's streaming it to a window in a 3d room.

This is as stupid as it sounds.

RowdyReverb

Couldn't this possibly simulate playing the games on a much bigger screen to you personally? LIke if you have a dinky TV, I can kind see it?

Then again if you have a Rift, and a powerful PC, and and an Xbox one, you probably have a good TV.
That's sort of the stumbling block for me. I'd be a little more excited for the potential to pretend I have a bigger TV if it didn't also require that I buy a new PC.

Wulfram

There probably are some people who it'd make sense for. My TV isn't a priority to spend money on, my PC is.

(But I don't have an XBOX, and would only get one as an alternative to getting a new PC that'd be capable of Oculusing)

Noobcraft

But you're not getting VR.

You're getting a 2D Xbox One video feed in a VR living room. You still need a PC.
Still "bigger" than any other screen I have in my home lol. It could be cool if it includes other interactive elements like raining on the screen causes raining in the VR room, achievements/friend's messages could be placed off screen if implemented right. It just depends how interactive it is. If it's just a video stream on a wall that's pretty boring.

DannyButtermen

Neo Member
Honestly, I don't believe that this is the only thing Microsoft will do with Oculus. They probably have no games that support full VR coming anytime soon. Cool feature if you want to hop on the VR train early though in my opinion.

RowdyReverb

You need an Xbox One

It's probably a program they developed for watching any films in a virtual theater that could also be applied to watching incoming Xbox One streaming.

Top Bottom