• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifdrasir announced - PS4/PS3/Vita, HD remaster w/ new shit, Jan 14 2016

I remembered that I re-bought GrimGrimoire on PSN when that was a novel thing and good lord it makes the game look like blurry garbage. Does the game look better via a PC emulator? Such a shame given how good the art is.

AnGer

I am conflicted about this. On the one hand, I liked Odin Sphere but had some issues with it which seem to be fixed now.

Alas, as I've stated in the older thread, the European release done by Square Enix on the PS2 featured the Japanese VAs (not sure if this was true for the U.S. release as well) as well as EFIGS text. I hope I am wrong about this, but I fear that Atlus USA or rather whoever their partner in Europe will be is going to ditch these features, which would make it a less desirable release for me.

Don't care about EFIGS that much, but no JP audio would be a loss.

I am conflicted about this. On the one hand, I liked Odin Sphere but had some issues with it which seem to be fixed now.

Alas, as I've stated in the older thread, the European release done by Square Enix on the PS2 featured the Japanese VAs (not sure if this was true for the U.S. release as well) as well as EFIGS text. I hope I am wrong about this, but I fear that Atlus USA or rather whoever their partner in Europe will be is going to ditch these features, which would make it a less desirable release for me.

Don't care about EFIGS that much, but no JP audio would be a loss.

I have the USA release published by Atlus on PS2 and it had dual audio.

This game was really repetitive and boring, the cooking was really tedious, and it was filled with slowdown. I imagine it'll be really good on PS4 and MAAAAYBE PS3 technically though...

This. I got bored with it before seeing every characters story. Nice graphics but a very shallow repetitive experience.

ScOULaris

Yes, there are people playing Monster Hunter for literal thousand(s) of hours, but those are very few. Most dedicated player usually clocked their games for 100 hours or so, but even then that is still a lot of repetition :p

I play 300 hours of Toukiden almost exclusively in single player!
Oh, haha. I thought you were talking about games where you hunt animals. Stuff like Big Game Hunter and the like.

Dice//

Banned
Or I can continue enjoying those games for their gameplay and still being critical of the art. Imagine that! :D

Apparently it's hard for some to imagine that it IS possible to like even LOVE something but still be critical of a part of it.... Huh.
I feel like I'm repeating what you said, but this happens way too much when it comes to these discussions. "omg you don't like this THEN DON'T BUY IT"....It's nuts.

Yuterald

Odin Sphere has the best characters/story out of all of the Van games, but in its original state, it's definitely the most arduous/tiring game to play. As much as I liked the game when I first played it on PS2, it was a grueling/long experience. The post-game, true ending scenario stuff was worth it though.

If these new additions/enhancements make the game more fun/less of a chore, I'm all about it. Regardless, I can't not buy a Sakimoto/Basiscape joint day one. <3 that OST!

So, no alternate sources on the stream that was pulled? :(

Because the problem with Odin Sphere wasn't that the combat was terrible, it was because it was really repetitive? There's a huge difference between a game being fun for 7 hours and that same game still being fun for 40 hours. Sometimes less is more. :p

But they're also addressing the repetitiveness. They may or may not be successful, it may or may not be enough, but revamping the combat, making it a platform game rather than flat surface, having some of the characters fly, making it faster, adding new moves, and mixing in new enemies and bosses is at the very least intended to make it more varied and enjoyable. Again, you might think they will be successful or not, but how can you judge that without seeing the final product?

Eh. Yes, the content was repetitive, but so is Dragon's Crown. I have 120 hours into DC and still play, though, because the base combat is fun. Odin Sphere had interesting combat, but it wasn't fun. Everything came out slow, had lots of recovery, and nothing canceled into anything. Items made it interesting. A more fun combat system can go a long way toward making repetitive content more engaging. Especially if all 5 characters have different and fun combat systems.

Yes, exactly my point. Odin Sphere was very repetitive because how similarly all characters played. That also happened with Muramasa, and in the DLC they learned their lesson and had each of the new four characters play much more differently than the original two. I don't find it so hard to believe that they would apply all that knowledge to drmatically improve on what was their second game at the time.

Long gameplay video, not sure if posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htsy4hF4sAk
At this point it's safe to say it's a new game reusing the assets of the original (while adding a lot more). It's in a new genre, even: it's a platformer beat'em up now, much like Muramasa. In fact it seems to share several Muramasa moves/mechanics. Tons of new skills and spells, which with any luck will be character-specific (all the ones shown for Gwendolyn are ice-elemental). Everything is sped up like 2x, with options to plant seeds and eat food in bulk. The utterly cumbersome inventary management seems to be gone, with seeds stacking and items being sorted on the rings by category. Quite possibly the single most reworked game of all time that doesn't involve a full, ground-up remake like Resident Evil

pariah164

Long gameplay video, not sure if posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htsy4hF4sAk
At this point it's safe to say it's a new game reusing the assets of the original (while adding a lot more). It's in a new genre, even: it's a platformer beat'em up now, much like Muramasa. In fact it seems to share several Muramasa moves/mechanics. Tons of new skills and spells, which with any luck will be character-specific (all the ones shown for Gwendolyn are ice-elemental). Everything is sped up like 2x, with options to plant seeds and eat food in bulk. The utterly cumbersome inventary management seems to be gone, with seeds stacking and items being sorted on the rings by category. Quite possibly the single most reworked game of all time that doesn't involve a full, ground-up remake like Resident Evil
Yes. YES. All my yes. Forever yes.

Put in my preorder today. I'm hyped.

Top Bottom