• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifdrasir announced - PS4/PS3/Vita, HD remaster w/ new shit, Jan 14 2016

I absolutely loved this game on the PS4.

Especially the fairy tale/theatre style that the story was presented in.

I also thought the English voice acting was very good and reinforced this.

Will be buying this for sure.

sn00zer

You dont have to redo stages?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Huh? The Vita port is great. The PS3 port feels weird because the point and click stuff feels like it was made for Vita.

Yeah, the slowdown hits quicker on Vita in the genie battle and in a full party of spell casters, but someone who was playing SNK arcade games back in the day probably isn't going to care. The touchscreen definitely makes DC better on Vita. Pulling off rune activation in combat online, while flipping around all over the place isn't going to happen with the R stick.

Since this game isn't going to be doing near as much simultaneously all over the screen, and Odin's only real biggun was a legit technical problem at the end... it's probably going to be closer to playing Muramasa on Vita, and be nothing to worry about. Gettin' this for PS4 and Vita, physical for sure.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I have the PS2 disc version, and the Classics version on PS3, but I'll be triple dipping on Vita, and maybe PS4. It's going to look amazing on my Vita's OLED screen.

I never beat it on PS2 or PS3, so I'm really looking forward to it.

salromano

Jesus Christ, Japan. 2015 and you still don't understand the difference between "T" and "D"?

Logo has "Leifdrasir", and the trailer says "Leiftrasir".

So just FYI, I'm pretty sure we're reading the subtitle wrong:

We read: "Leifdrasir." This is based on what is shown in the logo.

As it turns out, that "d" is probably not a "d," but rather a "þ": "Leifþrasir." This is from Norse Mythology, from which Odin Sphere is based.

The pronunciation is here: http://forvo.com/word/leifþrasir/

Listening to it, the Japanese katakana now makes a lot more sense: "Reivusurashiru."

Listen to the pronunciation of the Japanese via Google Translate: http://translate.google.com, throw in レイヴスラシル and hit the pronunciation button.

Then, you have them actually writing out "Leiftrasir," with a "t," in the trailer, which I'd initially thought was a spelling error (Atlus spelled "Character Design" as "Charcter Design" in the Persona 5 trailer). But looking at it now, it makes more sense as the English spelling for Leifþrasir as it sounds more like the pronunciation.

Anyway, probably an over-analysis here---Leiftrasir is probably the right spelling. But just thought I'd provide it regardless.

This game was really repetitive and boring, the cooking was really tedious, and it was filled with slowdown. I imagine it'll be really good on PS4 and MAAAAYBE PS3 technically though...

I don't know why I clicked on this thread, but I'm happy to see another person sharing my views.

This game has the best plot of any game EVER. It really is just that fantastic.

Yes, the gameplay was repetitive after a while. Partially because all 5 characters went through the same content. However, it looks like they are changing that up.

Also, for veterans,they clearly just showed off new combat systems for each character. A combat system revamp is very very welcome. It was pretty stiff before.

Inventory management was so fun in this game. If you are the kind of person that used to love trying to max inventory space in Diablo, you will love this game.

Day 1!

Yeah, story was so sweet. I was pretty bummed that Muramasa didn't even make an effort to come close.

The alchemy system was so original and fun. Obligatory:
217506755_Rjeeo-1050x10000.jpg

The stuff they're adding seems pretty crazy. I mean, not necessarily because of its amount (that remains to be seen), but in the sense that they seem to be revamping the game from the ground up, changing core mechanics and mixing in new stuff everywhere. That's pretty ballsy, but I love it! Odin Sphere was the one game that put VanillaWare in my map, and did it ever. I'll be more than happy to triple dip on Vita.

The only bad part is waiting for its European release... hopefully it won't be much later than the Japanese release.

Goddamn, that's gorgeous. I'm in for the PS4/Vita versions. (I've now had a horrifying realisation that I'm now becoming one of those people.)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So just FYI, I'm pretty sure we're reading the subtitle wrong:

We read: "Leifdrasir." This is based on what is shown in the logo.

As it turns out, that "d" is probably not a "d," but rather a "þ": "Leifþrasir." This is from Norse Mythology, from which Odin Sphere is based.

The pronunciation is here: http://forvo.com/word/leifþrasir/

Listening to it, the Japanese katakana now makes a lot more sense: "Reivusurashiru."

Listen to the pronunciation of the Japanese via Google Translate: http://translate.google.com, throw in レイヴスラシル and hit the pronunciation button.

Then, you have them actually writing out "Leiftrasir," with a "t," in the trailer, which I'd initially thought was a spelling error (Atlus spelled "Character Design" as "Charcter Design" in the Persona 5 trailer). But looking at it now, it makes more sense as the English spelling for Leifþrasir as it sounds more like the pronunciation.

Anyway, probably an over-analysis here---Leiftrasir is probably the right spelling. But just thought I'd provide it regardless.

Now that makes some sense.

igor

I'm glad I didn't finish the game then. It's a very repetitive game but hell, I want it on my OLED screen.

Seems like they are fixing few things, thank god - alchemy and inventory were so annoying.

If the combat is more like Muramasa then the game might be actually much better.

Leynos

Ooh, this is good news. I never finished the PS2 version, but I will certainly get this on the Vita. I just hope that there is a physical version to put on my shelf in my cardboard box. And the improvements sound like they will help alleviate some of the tedium.

I really liked the alchemy system. It was a pain the first scenario but as you continued to build the recipe list with the other characters it got really fun and added tons of strategy to farm souls and XP. I hope that they don't change it too much.

Bought the PS3 classic version when it dropped, loved what I played wished the gameplay was tweaked to be a bit smoother and now I get it!

Can't wait.

GAME BREAKING SLOWDOWN killed the original for me. There is a particular boss with Velvet that turns into a choppy slow mo bullet hell because of the frame rate in the vanilla (ha) version. Having said that the art is stunning and isn't filled to the brim with massive tity monsters, beautiful in nearly every regard.

The characters play so differently that multiple play through a weren't an issue at all.

GAME BREAKING SLOWDOWN killed the original for me. There is a particular boss with Velvet that turns into a choppy slow mo bullet hell because of the frame rate in the vanilla (ha) version. Having said that the art is stunning and isn't filled to the brim with massive tity monsters, beautiful in nearly every regard.

The characters play so differently that multiple play through a weren't an issue at all.
Queen Odessa? You fight her with every character. And the slow down is just as bad everytime. As a matter of fact you fight the sale bosses in the same stages with every character.

Queen Odessa? You fight her with every character. And the slow down is just as bad everytime. As a matter of fact you fight the sale bosses in the same stages with every character.

And she is an annoying yet manageable boss in every characters story but, not wanting to give any spoilers, Velvet has a particular style that makes the battle for more tedious.

And she is an annoying yet manageable boss in every characters story but, not wanting to give any spoilers, Velvet has a particular style that makes the battle for more tedious.
Honestly don't remember much about Velvets gimmicks that made it any different. Been years since I played the game but now I'm wanting to see if I still have my copy.
I played it when it originally released.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Sounds great, might get it. I enjoyed the PS2 game despite the framerate and repetition.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I fucking LOVED Odin Sphere. Day freaking 1 for me ya'll.

Hopefully it's locked at 60fps, game would be gorgeous like that.

Top Bottom