• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Review Thread

ScOULaris

chuck.gif~c200

Heck I would even take a remastered version of Muramasa Rebirth on the PS4. Oh and also do one for Dragon's Crown :)
Why remaster Dragon's Crown? It already ran at 1080p60 with all 2D art assets. Not much to remaster.

Can I get my review added as well?

The Outerhaven 5/5

To be perfectly honest, it feels good to get reacquainted with an old friend. The original Odin Sphere was one of my favorite RPG's on the PlayStation 2 and I'm happy to see that not only did the game survive the test of time but still offers just enough challenge and fun for even the most jaded gamer. On a presentation level, the game does so many things right, I wasn't really able to find any major flaw and my entire game-play session was a blur as I forgot what time it was even I started playing. Unlike its previous showing on the PlayStation 2, this time around there is zero compromise with getting those lovely looking graphics to run in all their glory, thanks to the power of the current generation of consoles. It's just that hard not to recommend Odin Sphere Leifthrasir to anyone, from the hardest of hardcore RPG gamers to someone who is looking to play their first RPG. Hands down one of the best RPG's available for the PlayStation 4, so be sure to eat this up when the game is released.

Nere

My Vita is ready. Loved both Muramasa and Dragon's Crown, good to hear this game is excellent too.

randomkid

cool, can we get an answer now as to whether there are any differences between PS3 and PS4? Verified information on this in English has been kind of impossible to find!

although I'm assuming none of the outlets received PS3 version for review so maybe there will still be nothing.

SOME-MIST

damn... really planned on passing this one up. beat the ps2 version and really enjoyed my time with it, but loved muramasa: the demon blade way more and never planned on revisiting odin sphere.

now with these glowing reviews... I feel like I need to nab it as soon as I get a ps4.

ScOULaris

And you're dragging it out in the open again, even though Schreier and Kamitani both apologized to each others and made peace. May I suggest you get over it and move on with your life?
You seem more perturbed at him merely referencing it than he probably is over the whole thing. I doubt it's keeping him up at night. He just mentioned that fiasco in this thread because it's relevant to Vanillaware, seeing as how this is their first release since DC.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I actually forgot about Aegis Rim. hopefully they show something on it soon

That is a bit too high isn't it? It does have the same problem as the original version that is repetitive. Still my favourite game this year so far, but that score is insane.

YMMV on the repetitive aspect. It varies from person to person. Generally, the combat is much more fun this time around for each character, so as to not make it a chore. The framerate is stabilized and the map layout is less obtuse and confusing, and the menu system is much easier to navigate

I could see people being burned out on the original just because the act of doing basic things was a slog. But they streamlined most of that with this including the combat.

Unison

I was thinking of getting the Vita version. Any reason pay more for the PS4 version, or are they identical in content?

Phediuk

Gonna be honest, I did not like the original Odin Sphere.

Watched a few videos and it looked like the same game to me? I'm just not interested in playing it again.

Zhao_Yun

Watched a few videos and it looked like the same game to me? I'm ust not interested in playing it again.

You could try out the demo since the game doesn't play like the original at all.

Watched a few videos and it looked like the same game to me? I'm just not interested in playing it again.

Play the demo, it is very different. I only played some of the original PS2 release and wasn't a fan but the demo for the remake was incredibly fun. It is a huge improvement gameplay wise.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
And you're dragging it out in the open again, even though Schreier and Kamitani both apologized to each others and made peace. May I suggest you get over it and move on with your life?

I apologize. I was just doing some sarcastic ribbing directed at the media. I am not intending to make it into a big thing, and i wont bring it up again.

Wow didn't even know this was coming out, I like some JRPG's is this worth a shot?

I fully recommend it

Quonny

Between this, Grand Kingdom, and Star Ocean 5... There are too many games, but not enough time to play them... T_T

Yeah I need to plow through Dark Souls 3 this week, then I'll probably get Odin Sphere in the mail the next week, then Star Ocean 5...

i quit gaming this is too hard

I find demos don;t really give you much of a feel for games, especially for RPG's, was hoping for more impressions from people who played it, mainstream reviews I don't always trust.

Well, this is an action RPG, so.

And the demo was created so that people can sample the systems first hand. The only difference beteween the demo and the main game is that the former is incredibly easy, while the latter comes with actual difficulty settings.

Sevyne

I find demos don;t really give you much of a feel for games, especially for RPG's, was hoping for more impressions from people who played it, mainstream reviews I don't always trust.

There have been people right here on neogaf who have played the game already (jp import) who have basically said the same things as these reviews. You can trust the reviews for this.

No_Style

It's the best version of Odin Sphere but if you found the first one tedious to play, this remaster won't change your mind. In the end, I found it okay. I really wish it was 10-15 hours shorter.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
What? i just watched the IGN review and they said the story is 40 hours long? holy shit.

JPS Kai

It's the best version of Odin Sphere but if you found the first one tedious to play, this remaster won't change your mind. In the end, I found it okay. I really wish it was 10-15 hours shorter.

WCCFtech - 8.2

The length/repetition was what I felt hurt this one too. A shame, because I absolutely loved the redone combat.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

For what it's worth, I had to force myself through the original Odin Sphere over a period of 2 years and hated it. Still ranks as the worst vanillaware game for me.

Played through leifthrasir and it's easily my best vanillaware game now, with its only flaw being the eventual inevitable repetitiveness.

The added skills and their mapability to fighting game-like command inputs makes creating and executing combos insanely fun. Would work wonderfully with an arcade stick as well if you play one of the console versions. Tons of quality of life improvements alleviate pretty much all of the tedious systems from the original too.

Only recommendations I have are to play on hard or higher and make it a slow burn instead of playing through it in one go to help with the repetition.

Jme

Everytime I see "Odin Sphere" my brain thinks of the game "Odama".. probably because they both start with "Od" and one features a massive sphere...

Phediuk

Eww. Do they still have you fight every boss like 10 times? And all the stupid micromanagement with the inventory?

Wow, surprised and happy to see the game getting such great reviews

Been playing it for a couple of days and I just can't stop, its so enjoyable. And this is coming from someone who really, really didn't like it the first time around.

Honestly, this game deserves a chance even from people who were put off by the PS2 version

BiggNife

Is there any gameplay/visual difference between the PS3 and PS4 versions?

The PS4 version is $10 more so maybe I'll just get the PS3 version.

No_Style

What? i just watched the IGN review and they said the story is 40 hours long? holy shit.

I finished it the game just shy of 30 hours on Normal. It's padded with so many inconsequential chapters that I felt like it was 40 hours long. Each new chapter/character is a highlight moment but each of them overstay their welcome.

Eww. Do they still have you fight every boss like 10 times? And all the stupid micromanagement with the inventory?

Yes. I hope you like revisiting every area with each character.

I said it in my review (which I'll be posting later) but I feel Odin Sphere is a product of its time where people valued quantity over quality and the market for flexible pricing didn't exist yet. They don't have enough to warrant a full price, so they padded it 20 hours worth of quality content into a 40 hour slog. Leifthrasir may have improved the systems and made it more fun to play but in the end, it was still not enough keep me engaged throughout an entire chapter.

Is there any gameplay/visual difference between the PS3 and PS4 versions?

The PS4 version is $10 more so maybe I'll just get the PS3 version.

I'd consider the PS4 version for performance reasons alone. There were noticeable slowdowns when I was throwing out Cyclone, Whirlwind, Toxin, Volcano and unleashing specials against multiple enemies at once. I suspect the PS3 version would fare worse in those scenarios. I thought those slowdowns were tolerable though; I was relishing the fact that I was dishing out so much nonsense to cause everything to buckle.

Really excited to play this, the original version was my 2007 GotY and one of my favorite PS2 games ever. I'd rather have a sequel than a remaster, but I'll take it, especially after how disappointed I was with Dragon's Crown.

FluxWaveZ

Not when they're making this.
13_sentinels-480x270.jpg

There are two teams at Vanillaware that work on two projects simultaneously. While 13 Sentinels is Kamitani's game, Kentaro Ohnishi's team—the one that worked on Odin Sphere Leifthrasir—will then go on to make something else.

So it's better than the original then, which was a really repetitive game. Now it looks like they've employed everything they've learnt from their games after the original Odin Sphere release with the great gameplay systems they've created since (mostly pulled from Muramasa by the looks of things) and put into a game with gameplay mechanic issues, therefore making an amazing aesthetic treat into a game with great gameplay too and thus the reviews are way more positive this time around. The 9.5 from IGN is really high though, rather surprising. Vanillaware are a quality dev nowadays. Good to see them get the recognition they deserve.

As expected.

Now do GrimGrimoire, NISA and Vanillaware.

Their secret best game. Hope they re-release that one too in glorious HD since Muramasa and Odin Sphere got the treatment.

Top Bottom