• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Review Thread

Woah. Was expecting a good critical reception for this one, but not like this. 9.5 from IGN in particular is really surprising.
I sold my still sealed ps2 copy of the game in anticipation of this release and I'm glad I made the right call.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not when they're making this.
13_sentinels-480x270.jpg

Already mentioned it.

Ridley327

I'm not sure it was ultimately received in Japan, but I feel like a remaster of Grand Knights History would make a lot of sense as a new project, given the unfortunate circumstances that led to the localization's cancellation on PSP.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
chuck.gif~c200

Heck I would even take a remastered version of Muramasa Rebirth on the PS4. Oh and also do one for Dragon's Crown :)

If they did a Muramasa remake on PS4 they should add in all the DLC, there are several, they are all different and meaty, and all of them are great, maybe even better than the base game.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Those review scores are great! Glad I preordered the Collectors Edition a while back. Hope the T-shirt fits well and isn't XXL.

Sevyne

If they did a Muramasa remake on PS4 they should add in all the DLC, there are several, they are all different and meaty, and all of them are great, maybe even better than the base game.

The DLCs ranged from pretty good to amazing. My opinion is that the Hell is Where the Heart Is DLC was better than the base game by miles alone. Absolutely loved the hell out of that one.

Voror

Can anyone comment on how the controls are on the Vita? Was planning on getting on that one given the advantage of portability.

Giolon

Can anyone comment on how the controls are on the Vita? Was planning on getting on that one given the advantage of portability.

I played the demo on Vita, and the controls were normal. What were you expecting? Why would the controls be bad?

I'm not sure it was ultimately received in Japan, but I feel like a remaster of Grand Knights History would make a lot of sense as a new project, given the unfortunate circumstances that led to the localization's cancellation on PSP.

It was actually their best selling game in Japan before DC and OSL hit. But right now Vanillaware seems very close to Atlus and GKH is a Marvelous IP. With that said, Atlus does have access to an IP that was primarily worked on by Vanillaware members before they became Vanillaware (and specifically George)...Princess Crown. That would be a very interesting game to remake. And it would have to be a remake since it wasn't made with HD assets.

Voror

I played the demo on Vita, and the controls were normal. What were you expecting? Why would the controls be bad?

Ah forgot the demo was coming out there too. Not sure really. I don't generally have issues with controls on the Vita but there's always a chance.

Other concern was performance but that seems all good.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Kinda surprising. Doesn't seem like the kind of game that would review well these days.

In any case, I'm excited.

Ridley327

It was actually their best selling game in Japan before DC and OSL hit. But right now Vanillaware seems very close to Atlus and GKH is a Marvelous IP. With that said, Atlus does have access to an IP that was primarily worked on by Vanillaware members before they became Vanillaware (and specifically George)...Princess Crown. That would be a very interesting game to remake. And it would have to be a remake since it wasn't made with HD assets.

Princess Crown was basically Odin Sphere Zero, wasn't it? That could be interesting to see revisited.

mrmickfran

Hot damn, those are some great scores.

I was going to save this for PS4, but I might as well just get the PS3 version now.

Balb

I want to believe in Vanillaware but the games just never fully come together for me...hope the improvements made to this version are enough to put it over the top.

Shin-chan

I was considering cancelling my Storybook Edition from NISA Europe and just getting the ordinary version, but after the reviews I'm happy to keep it.

Zukkoyaki

I think we're reaching a point where old-school and/or unique games are scoring major brownie-points with reviewers. Everyone seems to be a little fatigued because of all the open-world and online-centric games coming out. Anything retail that stands out due to aesthetic or gameplay is refreshing.

Also not to undersell great games like Odin Sphere. I expected it to review well but this is spectacular!

Wow, great review scores! I'm honestly surprised it's reviewing so well, despite my massive excitement for the game. Vanillaware is one of my all time favorite developers, but they are typically pretty niche and under the radar. Glad to see them get the recognition they deserve. They are the kings of 2D

AEREC

Loves Muramasa and Dragons Crown on vita so I'll be grabbing this for the vita too. Wasn't even on my radar until today...just wish it was crossbuy.

Ridley327

Wasn't even on my radar until I saw the reviews; no idea it was releasing. The year of JRPGs truly is among us :).

It's crazy how stacked it is in just June. And it's not even a PS4-only phenomenon, too, with Tokyo Mirage Sessions on Wii U and Grand Kingdom also being on Vita helping to round out the lineup.

Niche games, regardless of quality, tend to score in the 70-80 range.

Dragon's Crown managed to give Vanillaware a lot more attention in the gaming media. I think you could see that by how much attention some bigger sites (IGN, Polygon) were giving OSL prior to its release by doing lengthy Let's Plays.

It's crazy how stacked it is in just June. And it's not even a PS4-only phenomenon, too, with Tokyo Mirage Sessions on Wii U and Grand Kingdom also being on Vita helping to round out the lineup.

Yeah no kidding! I kind of only had my eyes set on Star Ocean for this summer, and really didn't check back at anything else coming out; but good ol GAF had my back on these upcoming gems :)

Mesoian

I will never stop calling this game Odin Sphere: Luftrausers

Also this is PS4 only, why did I think this was going to PC?

Top Bottom