• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sunset Overdrive Trailer

Ahhhh....makes sense. Is there an article out there that explains it?

I don't think so, but all their interviews over the last few years have pointed to Insomniac wanting to retain rights to new IP. It's really important to the company considering they bring it up quite often.

I think Sony was treating Insomniac like a bastard child compared to Naughty Dog & Sucker Punch. Naughty Dog was getting the higher budget, the marketing resources etc etc. Meanwhile Sony just kept demanding more and more Ratchet games, probably cause they were cheap to make. When comparing Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and Insomniac on PS3. Insomniac released the most games on PS3, they were putting a game on PS3 every year.

EA partner program just sucked balls for them...

MS seems like a good match so far.

First Xbox One game to make me say, "next gen is finally here... for xbox one." Ryse looks good but the art style of the characters and environments were mehhh. This looks shiny.

I loving the Japanese inspiration I'm seeing from the game. I wouldn't have expected it to be so prominent, but it is and I think it's all the better for it.

First Xbox One game to make me say, "next gen is finally here... for xbox one." Ryse looks good but the art style of the characters and environments were mehhh. This looks shiny.

Ryse's character and environment art were meh? No way... Don't get me wrong, Boudica and some other characters didn't exactly look the most amazing, but others, such as Boudica's father, Vitallion, Marius, and various enemy models looked quite incredible. And if the art style of Ryse's most impressive looking environments isn't unmistakably next-gen, then nothing is. They really do look that good. The level where you try to rescue vitallion, the level when you go try to capture boudica and her father. The art in those levels is downright insane, but maybe you have a stylistic preference, or maybe even haven't seen them in person, but they are quite the sight. I personally lean more in the direction of Sunset's art style, too, but I just had to defend the incredible environments in Ryse. :)

FourMyle

Looks absolutely amazing. This was one of the 2014 games I was most interested about, and I am very glad that it looks even more fun than I imagined. This is a system seller for me :p

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I don't think so, but all their interviews over the last few years have pointed to Insomniac wanting to retain rights to new IP. It's really important to the company considering they bring it up quite often.

So then how do people know that Sony asked to own the IP? Just seems like mindless speculation.

Regardless, the game looks fun...I just want to see more areas with variety.

Makes me think Infamous meets Dead Rising mixed with some super saturated bubblegum flavored Resistance zombies.

Looks like some fun though, definitely.

Gotta wonder how much that traversal for "tactical advantage" applies when fighting, especially against the seemingly oblivious and possibly vertically challenged OD'd. Looking forward to hearing about the different enemy types and how they mix combat up or put that traversal to real use.

Philippo

So for how long this has been in developement?
Seems all the systems are well thought and also pretty solid from the technical side.
So 2011?

Huggers

Looks like Infamous SS crossed with Saints Row IV. I'm not keen on either of those particularly but this looks very badass. So colourful and fun. Would buy it if I had an Xbox

Silky

Banned
This looks great, but they're trying way too hard to be edgy.

Lead Writer on SO on edgy humor.

"I told Gerry [Gerry Dugan--writer for Deadpool/Nova] early on, we need to assume our players are smart. Let’s assume that we can put in references, use language or ... a more mature sense of sarcasm, and people will get it. If some people don’t get, that’s OK. That’s what edgy humor is. Some people aren’t gonna get it."

On Demand

Banned
I think Sony was treating Insomniac like a bastard child compared to Naughty Dog & Sucker Punch. Naughty Dog was getting the higher budget, the marketing resources etc etc. Meanwhile Sony just kept demanding more and more Ratchet games, probably cause they were cheap to make. When comparing Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and Insomniac on PS3. Insomniac released the most games on PS3, they were putting a game on PS3 every year.

Whatever the reason it sucks because the game looks like pure fun and i'm not buying a console for 1 game.

Maby if my cousin gets a XB1 i can play at his house.

Dead

well not really...yet
This trailer felt they were trying to sell the studio just as much if not more than the actual game lol. After Fuse though, maybe thats not a bad thing.

It looks great, but the grinding looks really sluggish

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Makes me think Infamous meets Dead Rising mixed with some super saturated bubblegum flavored Resistance zombies.

Looks like some fun though, definitely.

Gotta wonder how much that traversal for "tactical advantage" applies when fighting, especially against the seemingly oblivious and possibly vertically challenged OD'd. Looking forward to hearing about the different enemy types and how they mix combat up or put that traversal to real use.

oh, they can jump and climb, and get onto the power lines and onto the rails you grind.

and there's lots of variation in enemy types, so there are other ones that are problems like the blowers shooting puss at you, and the herker throwing OD at you and charging.

Actually, you have no idea what Sony said, or did, or offered.

It is a known practice that Sony requests ownership of all IPs they help fund and work with (like Demon Souls). Just how Sony does business.

MSFT doesn't require IP ownership but I believe they do get first rights to future publishing (like Gears of War).

Elija2

1399571846-re.gif

Haha, that respawning is pretty great.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
This looks incredible but the line about "this is the game Insomniac's been waiting to make for over 20 years" seems like a huge slap in the face to all their fans on Sony consoles. I mean, I understood when they went multi-platform because they wanted their games to reach more people, but releasing the "game they've been waiting to make all these years" exclusive and during the launch of a console race when install bases are smallest?

What's the thinking Insomniac?

sorry you feel that way, but know we had to partner with the right group that believed in us and the vision of the game, wanted to see that vision came to life, and was ok with us retaining the rights to our creation.

In all of those regards, Microsoft has been a terrific partner in making Sunset Overdrive reality.

Good, Hope you guys have more interesting new IPs like that in the pipeline already!

If you think that all of the Insomniac PS3 games are mediocre then I have a hard time believing you're actually a fan.

All of the below games looked awesome in previews. But let's see how many actually lived up to their hype:

Resistance: Fall of Man (Not bad for a launch game)
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (Nice visuals, far too short)
Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty (Kiss my fucking ass)
Resistance 2 (One of the worst FPS of gen 7)
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (Almost)
Resistance 3 (Welcome to the bargain bins)
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (Eat a dick)
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (Eat a smaller dick)
Fuse (WTF?)
Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (There was a game called Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus?)

As a previous PS3 owner, I am just giving Xbox One owners a word of caution. Do not get too hyped. Wait until reviews.

tfur

sorry you feel that way, but know we had to partner with the right group that believed in us and the vision of the game, wanted to see that vision came to life, and was ok with us retaining the rights to our creation.

In all of those regards, Microsoft has been a terrific partner in making Sunset Overdrive reality.

Ouch. Sounds like quite a fallout with Sony. I guess RIP Ratchet&Clank?

Didn't really care for that CG trailer they showed, but holy shit does this game look sweet. This is the type of game that makes my purchase of my Xbox One worthwhile, can't freaking wait.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
This looks incredible but the line about "this is the game Insomniac's been waiting to make for over 20 years" seems like a huge slap in the face to all their fans on Sony consoles. I mean, I understood when they went multi-platform because they wanted their games to reach more people, but releasing the "game they've been waiting to make all these years" exclusive and during the launch of a console race when install bases are smallest?

I think the thinking is make the game you're absolutely best at making, and draw on all of your skill, and history, and talent (who came here because of your history) to do it.

The platform/publisher wasn't really relevant in making the best game we could and drawing on our past. More and more in this industry i think you have to do that every time out.

I notice the speed complaint, too, but I think it works out good that way, because I believe you need to have a normal speed, one that actually allows you to be somewhat precise and effective at shooting while grinding on rails or else what's the point?
Yeah, I thought about that as well. But then there are moments when you see pure traversal (not shooting) and the speed is the same.

At the same time, I think if your interest is mostly just to speed your way through the environment and are somehow less concerned about hitting specific targets, then I think you can move even faster by gaining enough momentum through successful traversal and platforming, but a dev would have to confirm that. I think as your style points go up, so, too, might the speed of your movement throughout the environment.
Hopefully this is the case.

And even if it isn't, I'm super hyped!

HUELEN10

Third person...

It's third person.

IT'S THIRD PERSON!

Yes, I am so happy! And it has some of the feel of a game like Jet Set Radio as well. I am hyped. The day I can get my One, this is the first game that will come home along with it.

Fuck it, I may just buy the game before I get the system. It looks that good.

sn00zer

Actually Insomniac just wanted to stay an independent company. They were unhappy with not being able to own their IPs....and they turned down offers to be purchased

Bundy

Banned
Jesus Christ.... here we go.....

KissVibes

Banned
This game is like motherfucking Pop Punk: The Shooter and I dig it so much. Hopefully we'll see that reflected in the music choices.

This looks incredible but the line about "this is the game Insomniac's been waiting to make for over 20 years" seems like a huge slap in the face to all their fans on Sony consoles. I mean, I understood when they went multi-platform because they wanted their games to reach more people, but releasing the "game they've been waiting to make all these years" exclusive and the launch of a console race when install bases are smallest?

Here's the thinking:

This is everything the studio has learned over the previous twenty years all rolled into one package. It's all of the things they love and all of the things fans know Insomniac for doing. In order to make this game that is the culmination of twenty years of learning and hard work, they needed funding, someone to let them do exactly what they wanted to do, and a publisher that would let them keep the IP. That someone was Microsoft Game Studios.

People need to stop taking video games so damn personally. It isn't a slap in the face to say your company is making the best game since they've started 20 years ago.

Whatever the reason it sucks because the game looks like pure fun and i'm not buying a console for 1 game.

Maby if my cousin gets a XB1 i can play at his house.

Before today there was no game on the console you wanted. Now there's 1. After E3 there could be 4 for all you know. Just wait a year or two or three and get it down the line when it justifies the purchase.

Seriously this game wasn't even on my radar, can't believe how hyped I got for this after just that trailer. And guys Microsoft picked it up with the terms Insomniac wanted and Sony didn't, can you really be mad at them?

Game looks great. Love the weapons. Since you guys own the franchise, is there a chance part 2 could be on ps4? Assuming the game is a success that is. Or do you guys have a multi game deal with MS?

Top Bottom