• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official thread of "GAF I got a PS3, now what?"

I've been had a ps3 since launch. :lol.

But what's a really good and cheap USB or even BT keyboard. I don't want to spring for the ugly chatpad. it's way overpriced.

Stumpokapow said:
But sorting out the foreign-only, unconfirmed, and unreleased games is exactly the point. A viable list with no speculation is best.

I'll try to provide one. Here's all the PS3-exclusive retail games (though two are also available through PSN) that have been released in North America*:

Buzz! Quiz TV
Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
F1 Championship Edition
Folklore
Genji: Days of the Blade
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Haze
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds
inFamous
Killzone 2
Lair
Little Big Planet
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
MLB 07: The Show
MLB 08: The Show
MLB 09: The Show
MotorStorm
MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
MSG: Crossfire
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm
NBA 07
NBA 08
NBA 09: The Inside
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Resistance 2
Resistance: Fall of Man
SingStar
SingStar 2
SingStar ABBA
SingStar Queen
SOCOM U.S. Navy Seals: Confrontation
The Eye of Judgment
Time Crisis 4
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
Valkyria Chronicles
Warhawk

* Note that I've excluded a couple "exclusives" that are really just expanded versions of previously released games.

And the PSN exclusive games for the U.S. (minus PSEye-only ones)*:

Astro Tripper
Blast Factor
Burn Zombie Burn
Buzz! Junior: Robo Jam
Calling All Cars!
Cash Guns Chaos
Comet Crash
Crash Commando
Cuboid
Elefunk
Fat Princess
Flower
Go! Sports: Skiing
Go! Sports: Skydiving
GTI Club+
High Stakes on the Vegas Strip: Poker Edition
High Velocity Bowling
The Last Guy
Linger in Shadows (not really a game)
Loco Roco Cocoreccho
Magic Ball
Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom
Noby Noby Boy
Novastrike
Nucleus
Pain
PixelJunk Eden
PixelJunk Racers
Piyotama
The Punisher: No Mercy
Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic
Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
Savage Moon
Shatter
Snakeball
Super Rub'a'Dub
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars
Toy Home
Trash Panic
Wipeout HD
Zen Pinball

* I've not listed those with PSP versions, or which I know to have been released on PC too. I may have missed a few of those, however, which should be removed.

I don't like listing unreleased exclusives by third parties since there's always a chance some could go multiplatform, get delayed, or get cancelled. But here are some upcoming Sony-published exclusives:
Demon's Souls
Gran Turismo 5
Heavy Rain
The Last Guardian
MAG
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
White Knight Chronicles

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
DMPrince said:
I've been had a ps3 since launch. :lol.

But what's a really good and cheap USB or even BT keyboard
. I don't want to spring for the ugly chatpad. it's way overpriced.

Logitech diNovo Mini :p

nah , just use any cheap USB keyboard or Mini Keyboard.

Thanks for the great list!

I will first get Valkyrie Chronicles and I already have Uncharted, I will work my way through the games I want to play on there.

Max

I am not Max
I finally found Uncharted for $25 at Blockbuster, it was sold out everywhere, and EB was selling used copies for $30 :lol

Game's great so far. I love the amount of unlockables, and I hope it'll occupy me for quite awhile.

Doytch

OK, I have my PS3 plugged in with component to the TV, and optical to the receiver. It's set up for 480/720p/1080i, but it's not displaying any red. I've triple checked that I've got the cables plugged in right...anyone have any ideas?

e: Well, I triple checked to make sure the colours were right, but I was plugging in the red audio cable instead of the red video cable :lol

tass0

Banned
For new PS3 owners, here is a nice list of exclusives

playstation3s.png

pretty much every game on this list is great

tass0 said:

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/7283/playstation3s.png[img]

pretty much every game on this list is great[/QUOTE]

MAG is missing on the list with the black font.. :(

[QUOTE=Sentry]Only in certain games IIRC, such as Resistance 2.[/QUOTE]

I think this is correct. LBP supports it as well IIRC.

magus

Some more FAQ stuff you might want to add:

Q: How do I clean dust out of my PS3?

A: The PS3 Manual says to use a low powered vacuum around the PS3 air vents.

Q: Is the web browser useful for anything?

A: You can listen to Last.FM or Pandora with it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
pretty much every game on this list is great

it needs some trimming, but i am intrigued by Motorstorm Pacifist Rift!

Is this the version with no crashes and a "it's just driving, no one cares who wins!" attitude? ;)

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
tass0 said:

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/7283/playstation3s.png[/img

pretty much every game on this list is great[/QUOTE]
You forgot Haze ;)

Ardorx

Banned
GAF, I'm going to be getting an old PS3 next month and Ive been trying to decide which games to get, and it's been difficult since my Birthday is Rocktober 16th and I'm more than likely going to have to pass on Brutal Legend.

Anyway, two questions:

1) How much are the Warhawk and Killzone 2 DLC packs? Also, if I don't buy them will I be at a serve disadvantage?

2) I'm going to have to buy the XCM VGA BOX because my nice monitor doesn't play well with HDCP. I don't want to buy a new monitor so are there any other alternatives to the XCM VGA BOX?

Like would a component to HDMI box work just the same? Or are the XCM boxes special?

TheFatOne

Ardorx said:
GAF, I'm going to be getting an old PS3 next month and Ive been trying to decide which games to get, and it's been difficult since my Birthday is Rocktober 16th and I'm more than likely going to have to pass on Brutal Legend.

Anyway, two questions:

1) How much are the Warhawk and Killzone 2 DLC packs? Also, if I don't buy them will I be at a serve disadvantage?

2) I'm going to have to buy the XCM VGA BOX because my nice monitor doesn't play well with HDCP. I don't want to buy a new monitor so are there any other alternatives to the XCM VGA BOX?

Like would a component to HDMI box work just the same? Or are the XCM boxes special?

No you don't need to buy the DLC for Killzone 2. Sure some of the maps are nice, but you don't need them. There are plenty of games without the maps. It's actually harder to find games with the DLC maps.

Ardorx

Banned
TheFatOne said:
No you don't need to buy the DLC for Killzone 2. Sure some of the maps are nice, but you don't need them. There are plenty of games without the maps. It's actually harder to find games with the DLC maps.

Oh awesome. Thanks!

bud

when i use medialink, the ps3 is able to play the movies on my laptop. but when i put those on a usb stick, it can't.

is there any way to fix this?

Raist

Banned
bud said:
when i use medialink, the ps3 is able to play the movies on my laptop. but when i put those on a usb stick, it can't.

is there any way to fix this?

Medialink probably transcodes these files, which cannot be read by the PS3 otherwise.
What are their formats?

patsu

MLB 2009 really needs to be in the OP list. It is unbelivable and I am not even a huge baseball fan (just moderately interested). This is my first sports title in my entire life too.

this thread should be stickied... holy shit i can't believe i missed this until now.... a seriously awesome bevy of information, you guys are :)

Sascha23

Banned
CrayzeeCarl said:
I don't know what resolution issues you speak of, but I have a 720p display and I only have 720p checked. No problems for me.

I think he's referring to the issues supporting the 1080i display in games.

720p and 1080p are solid with PS3.

Siyou

im thinking upon buying a PS3 in china... if i purchase one here will i have any problems playing games if i move back to the U.S.? also what else might there be problems with?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Siyou said:
im thinking upon buying a PS3 in china... if i purchase one here will i have any problems playing games if i move back to the U.S.? also what else might there be problems with?

PS3 games are region free.

Planning to buy my cousin's 40GB unit later this week. A few questions:

1) I'm mostly planning to use it as a Blu-Ray / media player for my TV. Can the PS3 read media directly off a portable HDD or am I going to have to upgrade the HDD?

2) I've heard of people having issues with the PS3 not outputting at 1080p and instead doing 1080i. Is this a common thing or does it only happen in certain situations?

3) Is it possible for me to delete/transfer my cousin's PSN account and start from scratch?

4) Could someone link me to a list of recommended Blu Rays that will show off the crisp, clear picture afforded by 1080p displays?

5) What, if any, 2D or old-school games are available for the PS3 either through retail or PSN (they can be multiplat)? Not really into shooters (FPS or TPS. Arcade / adventure is fine), sports, racing or console RPGs (the last one due to time constraints). I do like 3D platformers, though.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Planning to buy my cousin's 40GB unit later this week. A few questions:

1) I'm mostly planning to use it as a Blu-Ray / media player for my TV. Can the PS3 read media directly off a portable HDD or am I going to have to upgrade the HDD?

It can read and stream your own media just fine off the HDD; however if you plan to buy TV Shows/rent movies on the Playstation network then you can only back up those video files to your HDD. You must unload them on the PS3 HDD to actually view those.

3) Is it possible for me to delete/transfer my cousin's PSN account and start from scratch?
Sure, just format the HDD and you're ready! But be sure he deactivates his account on the PS3, otherwise he'll use up one of his five allowed PS3 activations.

5) What, if any, 2D or old-school games are available for the PS3 either through retail or PSN (they can be multiplat)? Not really into shooters (FPS or TPS. Arcade / adventure is fine), sports, racing or console RPGs (the last one due to time constraints). I do like 3D platformers, though.
You'll want to try PixelJunk Eden for sure (demo available). I think you're gonna love that one. Trine is coming in two weeks, and I hear that one is good.

LittleBigPlanet is one you absolutely must check out. It's not quite a tight platformer, but the experience is so unique...you just have to try it. I think there's a US demo available now.

Sadly that's about it aside from some PS1 classics like Rayman (which is actually an oldschool 2d platformer).

I've had my slim since it was released and I've already beaten inFamous, MGS4, and Valkyria Chronicles. I have Uncharted as well but I haven't started it because I heard that the newest firmware broke the game.

Siyou

chubigans said:
It can read and stream your own media just fine off the HDD; however if you plan to buy TV Shows/rent movies on the Playstation network then you can only back up those video files to your HDD. You must unload them on the PS3 HDD to actually view those.

Sure, just format the HDD and you're ready! But be sure he deactivates his account on the PS3, otherwise he'll use up one of his five allowed PS3 activations.

You'll want to try PixelJunk Eden for sure (demo available). I think you're gonna love that one. Trine is coming in two weeks, and I hear that one is good.

LittleBigPlanet is one you absolutely must check out. It's not quite a tight platformer, but the experience is so unique...you just have to try it. I think there's a US demo available now.

Sadly that's about it aside from some PS1 classics like Rayman (which is actually an oldschool 2d platformer).
if you're into megaman, i would try out megaman 9. Lots of classic feel from what i can gather

Jamesfrom818 said:
I've had my slim since it was released and I've already beaten inFamous, MGS4, and Valkyria Chronicles. I have Uncharted as well but I haven't started it because I heard that the newest firmware broke the game.

Yea, I beat Uncharted and Valkyria Chronicles so far, working on Folklore then Disgaea 3 and then MGS 4, Resistance, etc.

StuBurns

Banned
I've been replaying NG∑ over the last two days. If a new PS3 owner didn't have Black on Xbox, I really recommend picking it up.

4) Could someone link me to a list of recommended Blu Rays that will show off the crisp, clear picture afforded by 1080p displays?
The colored text in this thread is kind of annoying, but it's still a fantastic starting place. Even if you don't agree with the overall conclusions, you can tell which ones are likely to be great and which aren't. Add in the tech details and the links straight to Best Buy and Netflix, and you've got something to Favorite and return to for a long time.

maxmars

Sooooo, I sold one of my Wiis (I had two, one was not getting much love anymore) and I bought the new slim.. Just wanted to say thanks guys for this great thread!

For a complete PS3 newbie like me this is incredibly useful. :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Siyou said:
I'm not positive but some games used to connect to server based on PS3 region instead of disc region?

I'd like to know if everything is sorted out also.

sca2511

Jamesfrom818 said:
played through uncharted on hard after 3.0 was released, never had a problem.

So I finally pulled the trigger and I now have a 40 GB fatty. Any advice on how to clean controllers? The one I got with the console was covered in dust from lack of use. Is it worth bothering with a Dual Shock 3?

So I finally pulled the trigger and I now have a 40 GB fatty. Any advice on how to clean controllers? The one I got with the console was covered in dust from lack of use. Is it worth bothering with a Dual Shock 3?
The rumble is really not that big a deal. But the thumbsticks on a DS3 feel better to almost all users, and are definitely less likely to stick or break than on the Sixaxis. All in all it's not a dealbreaker if you're having no problems with the Sixaxis.

My real question is why you got a 40GB fat version. A really good price break used? Because at retail the slim is the same price, and it's almost certainly a better version of the hardware all around.

Liabe Brave said:
The rumble is really not that big a deal. But the thumbsticks on a DS3 feel better to almost all users, and are definitely less likely to stick or break than on the Sixaxis. All in all it's not a dealbreaker if you're having no problems with the Sixaxis.

My real question is why you got a 40GB fat version. A really good price break used? Because at retail the slim is the same price, and it's almost certainly a better version of the hardware all around.
2nd hand for $AUD 350. The slim retails here for $AUD 500. I figured I'd eat the cost of the extra power etc.

One week into PS3 ownership, have bought:

Noby Noby Boy
Shatter
Final Fantasy VII (playing on both PS3 and PSP - switching save files - YES!)
Valkyria Chronicles
Little Big Planet

Demon Souls' is next, but I live in Australia, so I don't know which version to get.

Top Bottom