• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, TeamCG. Come own up to your foolishness. #trolljima

Is Joakim Mogren CG?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Truespeed

Just saw the video for the first time. It's not CG, the mouth movements and the neck muscle contractions and retractions are just too perfect. Geoff Keighley, however, is CG.

Team Real all the way!

31QwmH4.png

Dr Dogg

Sounds like a pretty CG face reading the above link.

Obviously it's been created in 3d and various texture work and other techniques have been done but as I said this is more akin to performance capture. There already is a wealth of resources they are using and not working from a blank slate. The most painstaking work that most artists and animators is already done for them all they have to do is recreate it. There was an article in a newspaper over here a few weeks ago highlighting stuff that is shot for shot from films (Roman Holiday was one of the top of my head).

Kyoufu

What? He literally just said why, because the bandages are wrapped.

I'm creating a new team, TeamNewTech, that says that this is some sort of new motion capture technology, or something like that. I don't know.

That's no excuse. If he couldn't speak properly due to discomfort then he wouldn't sound like he's talking normally.

Salacious Crumb

I don't think there'll be much fun if it's just real.

To be honest, if all the fucking interview was to say: "I'm sorry Geoff, I cannot confirm that" and just show that they're using the Fox Engine, then that was pointless.

Geoff should've said: THEN WHAT THE HELL CAN YOU CONFIRM?!

They can confirm they they'll show you stuff at GDC. This was just a fluff piece brought to you by everyone's favorite shill. Kojimas version of the announcement of an announcement.

Symphonic

That's no excuse. If he couldn't speak properly due to discomfort then he wouldn't sound like he's talking normally.

He does not sound like he's talking normally. I'm pretty sure that's a general consensus and, if I might add, also one of the arguments for TeamCG

How do you explain him talking with just his lips?

What? He literally just said why, because the bandages are wrapped.

Right. I am not overly invested in this argument so this is just my quick take on the whole thing. There are some things odd about the facial expressions and movement. But it could be that the facial bandages are causing odd facial tics because they are uncomfortable or restricting the facial muscles from moving freely.

Honestly it doesn't seem definitive to me one way or another. So I think it's easier to assume for now that its real, at least for me.

Sorian

Banned
Just saw the video for the first time. It's not CG, the mouth movements and the neck muscle contractions and retractions are just too perfect. Geoff Keighley, however, is CG.

Fuck it, we need to go deeper. Geoff Keighley was never a real human being and has been CG this entire time. He has been a real-life looking CG since before graphics left the 16-bit era and his image has aged as a normal person would. This interview has backfired for this persona because I have now seen the truth.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The whole Mobydick thing is probably an analogy to chasing realism.

There is no shame in having fun. Cynicism is a cancer to the gaming community.
There is no cynicism though. I think we're all having fun. At least, that was my point with saying what i said, i case you read it the wrong way ;)
One side thinks it real the other side think's it's CG.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You can see his tongue...

Anyway the only thing that could be CG is the eyes or head, but NOT the mouth, 100% impossible.

And for those saying "what's the point of the interview then??", well he confirmed a new trailer at GDC and all details explained. Currently Kojima has a keynote for Ground Zeroes. He's basically confirming the game will be shown there and Phantom Pain is probably just the name of the keynote.

Gui_PT

If this were CG why would they make him move and react so awkwardly? They'd make him move as perfect as possible to fool people.

Shizz'real

Makai

Just showed the interview to someone who doesn't play video games. Reaction: "That bandage guy doesn't look human."

Symphonic

If this were CG why would they make him move and react so awkwardly? They'd make him move as perfect as possible to fool people.

Shizz'real

Or they would make him react not normally in order to fool those thinking he'd move normal into thinking he's real because he's not normal which would mean he's real CG.

Kyoufu

Shizz'real

I thought about that, but I think Kojima praised LA Noire's facial tech and he's going with it in this video.

The guy's facial mannerisms are full of information being held back. Select "Doubt" to interrogate further.

You can see his tongue...

Anyway the only thing that could be CG is the eyes or head, but NOT the mouth, 100% impossible.

And for those saying "what's the point of the interview then??", well he confirmed a new trailer at GDC and all details explained. Currently Kojima has a keynote for Ground Zeroes. He's basically confirming the game will be shown there and Phantom Pain is probably just the name of the keynote.

It's important to note that the keynote isn't just for Ground Zero though, it's for the Fox Engine too and the keynote is titled: "'Photorealism through the eyes of a 'Fox' - The core of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes".

EDIT: Not saying I'm convinced it's entirely CG. I definitely think at least some of it is real. I'm still extremely skeptical as to whether or not CG was used in some places within the interview though.

Toparaman

Banned
Just to add a counterpoint to people saying tech hasn't developed enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFw8NjZF-Qk

Wow. I'm not gonna lie, that's really good. As still screens, it's practically flawless. However, the animation gives it away. It's just too smooth. It's still in the uncanny valley.

Joakim on the other hand...his motion is FLAWLESS. Check out the eyebrow-twitching and eye movements. Call me a heathen, but I'm a staunch unbeliever!

31QwmH4.png

Watching the video again...that final reaction from Joakim never fails to crack me up.

Later today, I'm going to be looking at some videos of Cliffy B, to see if that theory has any credibility. Aren't Kojima and Cliffy BFFs or something?

Try to talk without your tongue and compare it to his speech. It's just not possible.
If I had the proper recording device I'd be tempted to wrap my own face up and show you how you can talk without exaggerated mouth movements.

Ventriloquism must be straight up wizardry to you!

Shoyz

The Mogren twitter is a fake..

31QwmH4.png

I could see them secretly swapping in CG bits/parts to see if it goes unnoticed but no way is he CG.

Kyoufu

If I had the proper recording device I'd be tempted to wrap my own face up and show you how you can talk without exaggerated mouth movements.

Ventriloquism must be straight up wizardry to you!

Ventriloquism is CG SFX.

But seriously, I'm not convinced he's real. He just looks so fake and the fact that he's covered in bandages hides the overall CG look of his face well.

Saying that, he has BJ lips. Does the guy in the Phantom Pain trailer have lips like him?

Kojima is pretty much exactly what is wrong with the game industry. Sad that people are eating this stupid shit up.

Yeah, what a horrible person Kojima is.

He should be announcing dlc and season pass, not making an interesting mindfuck to build hype in a way consumers feel engaged.

Or he should make a compaign where a certain number of doritos purchases unveal the face without the bandages.

FZuABvg.jpg

I'm sure this is pretty fucking LTTP, but has #TeamCG explained Geoff's phone camera picture of Joakim?

1Dm.png

Real or CG, GT.TV is a willing participant in this. This is a scripted oddball interview either way. So if it is CG, it would not be hard to get a still and put it on instagram. That would be the easiest part of the whole thing really. The pic is odd because Joakim is facing the same way he is in the interview. In the interview he is ostensibly facing Geoff. Who is he facing in the pic if Geoff is taking the pic?

Real or not, I don't think Geoff was ever in the same room as Joakim and the pic is to try to establish that he was.

Kojima is pretty much exactly what is wrong with the game industry. Sad that people are eating this stupid shit up.

Keep fight the good fight.

Kyoufu

Real or CG, GT.TV is a willing participant in this. This is a scripted oddball interview either way. So if it is CG, it would not be hard to get a still and put it on instagram. That would be the easiest part of the whole thing really. The pic is odd because Joakim is facing the same way he is in the interview. In the interview he is ostensible facing Geoff. Who is he facing in the pic if Geoff is taking the pic?

Real or not, I don't think Geoff was ever in the same room as Joakim and the pic is to try to establish that he was.

They didn't even show Joakim showing the iPad to Geoff. Plus his hands looked like somebody else's.

You guys will love me when the truth is revealed. :p

Has anyone poured over his fingers yet? They look a little odd to me, but it's probably just this thread going to my head.

I noticed them instantly.

Toparaman

Banned
Actually, after seeing this video, I now declare myself an agnostic.

http://youtu.be/bLiX5d3rC6o

Mind you, I doubt the Fox Engine is that good, and I don't think there would be much point in using Image Metrics' system instead of a real person, since that's not even Konami's tech, so why bother showing it off?

But it is worth noting: apparently Image Metrics did do facial animation for MGS3, according to Wikipedia.

Anyway, I'm still Team Real, but I acknowledge that it is now possible to surpass the Uncanny Valley as far as facial animations are concerned.

Top Bottom