• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, TeamCG. Come own up to your foolishness. #trolljima

Is Joakim Mogren CG?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Xux

Neither the guy nor the company exist in Sweden. Also, his 'accent' is not the typical Swedish-English, but more of the 'This is how Swedes talk Hollywood style'.
Guess this is an elaborate way of saying that it's not his real name, lol.

It's starting to look faker to me after watching it so many times. Like, it's "bad" to the point of being unconvincing in terms of being realistic but is still probably some of the best CG I've seen in terms of detail and lighting etc.

Barryman

The way I see the debate at this point:

The Team CG side makes so much more sense in the context of the promotion they've done so far for the FOX engine and Phantom Pain. However, the face looks so good that it doesn't make sense to be real time CG.

Still, Team Real's explanations for this video's existence and many quirks do not fit into a greater theoretical framework -- there is no way to make sense of this promotional campaign if the video is not CG!

#TeamHybrid

Hermii

This is probably the most overanalyzed 2 minute clip in the history of GAF, perhaps in the history of game promotions, and maybe even in the history of 2 minute clips.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
This is probably the most overanalyzed 2 minute clip in the history of GAF, perhaps in the history of game promotions, and maybe even in the history of 2 minute clips.

seriously, we're giving the Challenger and Columbia shuttle launches a run for their money!

Persona86

Banned
Kojima is currently talking on his Japanese twitter on how important it is for the FOX engine to replicate real people ala the way wax figures can. He tweeted this photo of a wax figure, implying this is the detail the FOX engine is intended to do

BFihzQUCIAEilRK.jpg

He fucking knows people think Joakim is CGI

Wow is that true?

Edit: yes it is, just checked it out. :)

Also on his English twitter account, he says some things that sound interesting.
e.g
Back in 2009 at GDC, my keynote presentation title was "To make impossible to possible". I gave my speech that I'd made impossible to possible with idea as ladder, but in near future we step up with technique as base and idea as ladder. It's been 4 years now, I'll give a presentation of FOX Engine this time.

Limanima

I' m inclined to go with TeamCG. I don't know if it is because I want to believe or If I do think it is CG.
The interview looks... Strange.
One thing I 'm certain of. Geof is not in the same room and the phantom was pre recorded. Besides that, there's something odd at the begining. something doesn't seem right.
on the other hand, it doesn't look cg.

aeroslash

I've been doing CG for half of my life, on a non professional basis but an active user of many cg professional forums and i can't see how this can be CG.

In my point of view It would be incredibly expensive to do something with this level of detail.

So in my opinion it's impossible for it to be CG even more it being directly from FOX Engine..

Team Real for me!

Xun

The way I see the debate at this point:

The Team CG side makes so much more sense in the context of the promotion they've done so far for the FOX engine and Phantom Pain. However, the face looks so good that it doesn't make sense to be real time CG.

Still, Team Real's explanations for this video's existence and many quirks do not fit into a greater theoretical framework -- there is no way to make sense of this promotional campaign if the video is not CG!

#TeamHybrid
I'm starting to think it's a hybrid as well now, but we'll see.

Certain shots just don't sit well with me, mostly regarding the eyes.

Anyway nothing here is impossible from an animation point of view if the animators are heavily referencing the original source, and with the Hepburn advert this wouldn't of been as possible.

Hermii

I'm starting to think it's a hybrid as well now, but we'll see.

Certain shots just don't sit well with me, mostly regarding the eyes.

Anyway nothing here is impossible from an animation point of view if the animators are heavily referencing the original source, and with the Hepburn advert this wouldn't of been as possible.

Perhaps nothing is impossible from an animators point of view just very expensive. However nothing here is impossible from an acting point of view either and that would be a hell of a lot cheaper and make a lot more sense.

Makai

Perhaps nothing is impossible from an animators point of view just very expensive. However nothing here is impossible from an acting point of view either and that would be a hell of a lot cheaper and make a lot more sense.

False

jk, but really this guy is a master of half-blinking without moving his bottom eye-lids.

stef t97

Has anyone else realised that the three thing that people called out on the fox engine render of a face were covered up? The ears, the hair and the lack of imperfections on the skin texture. All off these were covered by the bandage in the interview.

I' m inclined to go with TeamCG. I don't know if it is because I want to believe or If I do think it is CG.
The interview looks... Strange.
One thing I 'm certain of. Geof is not in the same room and the phantom was pre recorded. Besides that, there's something odd at the begining. something doesn't seem right.
on the other hand, it doesn't look cg.

That's pretty much my take on it too. More than anything I want it to be CG.

Xun

Try half blinking the way the guy did at the end, you won't be able to do it.

It's not possible to move only the top eyelids.

MaLDo

I've been doing CG for half of my life, on a non professional basis but an active user of many cg professional forums and i can't see how this can be CG.

In my point of view It would be incredibly expensive to do something with this level of detail.

So in my opinion it's impossible for it to be CG even more it being directly from FOX Engine..

Team Real for me!

A lot of people into TeamREAL are missing some points. This is not a full person rendered into a dynamic scenario with moving cameras, other actors interaction and so on.

Video games is different than movies.

Movie makers don't need to spend time and money to create a near static cg face that looks real. They can pay a real person to do that.

Phantom pain may be a tech similar to Team Bondy's L.A.Noire tech. A lot of texture work over a low detailed mesh. Kojima tech will be a superior version of it. In the GT interview, maybe all the head is real, so the head contour is perfect because is real. Filming an actor talking in front of a mocap camera and put the performance over the model is not expensive if you have the tech ready for it. You don't need to work over the frames if your mesh is modeled automatically from the real head using 3d cameras.

The big lack in L.A.Noire tech is shaders in the skin and eyes. They don't have sss, specs, bumps, nothing. Only diffuse over a very low mesh. Those all aspects can be adressed now.

Tesseract

Banned
A lot of people into TeamREAL are missing some points. This is not a full person rendered into a dynamic scenario with moving cameras, other actors interaction and so on.

Video games is different than movies.

Movie makers don't need to spend time and money to create a near static cg face that looks real. They can pay a real person to do that.

Phantom pain may be a tech similar to Team Bondy's L.A.Noire tech. A lot of texture work over a low detailed mesh. Kojima tech will be a superior version of it. In the GT interview, maybe all the head is real, so the head contour is perfect because is real. Filming an actor talking in front of a mocap camera and put the performance over the model is not expensive if you have the tech ready for it. You don't need to work over the frames if your mesh is modeled automatically from the real head using 3d cameras.

The big lack in L.A.Noire tech is shaders in the skin and eyes. They don't have sss, specs, bumps, nothing. Only diffuse over a very low mesh. Those all aspects can be adressed now.

you're crazy. i want to believe.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

This is the only point that has me considering that it may be CG. I'm not convinced but that half blink is something I've seen in a lot of CG and it always gives it away.

troushers

This CG business got me thinking, and after some more analysis I've discovered a few unsettling things. Let me share my research.

Consider this photo:
geoff-keighley-rob-florence.jpg

Look at the eyes, man. Look at the eyes. They're dim, devoid of personality or life. There is no shred of human emotion evident in the cold, inorganic gaze. That is the first clue.

A few other things - the bag of Doritos is too puffed out for the typical contents of such a product. When you buy these from the store, half the bag is air, and the bag itself is usually crumpled and filthy from being used as a football by a pair of minimum wage shitsticks in the warehouse.

If you look closely at the Mountain Dew, you notice the top is unnaturally clean. In reality, an unopened bottle of Dew like that would have a tacky residue over the top, comprised of leakage from broken bottles and rat piss from storage.

I think it's safe to ask some questions - is this scene - and "Geoff Keighly" himself- CG?

Now, consider this image:
gies_cropped.jpg

There's a number of problems here. For one thing, it's subtle, but the face seems too unnaturally polygonal around the chin. This got me thinking, and I began to look at Gies' output on Twitter. After some textual and linguistical analysis, I came to the conclusion that most of "Gies" messages were devoid of factual content or meaning. In fact, I could almost entirely generating a "Gies-like" twitter output by training a chatbot's dictionary with Google Zeitgeist terms and Microsoft press releases.

How deep does this go?
#TeamCG

Makai

This is the only point that has me considering that it may be CG. I'm not convinced but that half blink is something I've seen in a lot of CG and it always gives it away.

What's up with the half-blink, though. Is it so hard to animate a full blink?

Hahaha, goddamn you team CG guys are incredible. He isn't "half blinking" he is opening his eyes wider in shock. Are you people really this stupid?

Top Bottom