• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, TeamCG. Come own up to your foolishness. #trolljima

Is Joakim Mogren CG?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Makai

Is this a half blink?

iabgr7ufklzyac1s5x.gif

He's furrowing his brow which causes both eyelids to move.

Why is Moby Dick Studios located in Sweden?

A troll is a supernatural being in Norse mythology and Scandinavian folklore. In origin, troll may have been a negative synonym for a jötunn (plural jötnar), a being in Norse mythology. In Old Norse sources, beings described as trolls dwell in isolated rocks, mountains, or caves, live together in small family units, and are rarely helpful to human beings.
Later, in Scandinavian folklore, trolls became beings in their own right, where they live far from human habitation, are not Christianized, and are considered dangerous to human beings. Depending on the region from which accounts of trolls stem, their appearance varies greatly; trolls may be ugly and slow-witted or look and behave exactly like human beings, with no particularly grotesque characteristic about them. Trolls are sometimes associated with particular landmarks, which at times may be explained as formed from a troll exposed to sunlight. One of the most famous elements of Scandinavian folklore, trolls are depicted in a variety of media in modern popular culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll#Scandinavian_folklore

Team CG

Kyoufu

I love all the derogatory comments.

I'm sorry if anyone here is offended that some of us actually believe in the possibilities.

Hahaha, goddamn you team CG guys are incredible. He isn't "half blinking" he is opening his eyes wider in shock. Are you people really this stupid?

No, his eyebrows don't lower, his eyelids move down in a half blink™ independent to the rest of his upper face, which is impossible. Try to lower your eyelids halfway in such a pronounced manner without squinting.

Yeah, legitimately there's two camps of equal size.
https://www.mentimeter.com/public/58e2a49fa361

Two sides, two players. One is real. One is CG.

Lurkers are trolling.

Persona86

Banned

I'm sorry if anyone here is offended that some of us actually believe in the possibilities.

Team real is definitely more aggressive with their opinions lol. It just means they have to eat more crow if they are wrong. :)

Persona86

Banned
Ahh, I see the one you're talking about. Okay, that is legit weird. I can understand using that to strengthen your argument, then. I wonder if it's some kind of weird compression artifacting.
Yes compression, green screen artifact etc are all possibilities, but I'm leaning towards CG glitch. :)

Come to the CG side my friend....you will feel goooood.

Hermii

A lot of people into TeamREAL are missing some points. This is not a full person rendered into a dynamic scenario with moving cameras, other actors interaction and so on.

Video games is different than movies.

Movie makers don't need to spend time and money to create a near static cg face that looks real. They can pay a real person to do that.

Phantom pain may be a tech similar to Team Bondy's L.A.Noire tech. A lot of texture work over a low detailed mesh. Kojima tech will be a superior version of it. In the GT interview, maybe all the head is real, so the head contour is perfect because is real. Filming an actor talking in front of a mocap camera and put the performance over the model is not expensive if you have the tech ready for it. You don't need to work over the frames if your mesh is modeled automatically from the real head using 3d cameras.

The big lack in L.A.Noire tech is shaders in the skin and eyes. They don't have sss, specs, bumps, nothing. Only diffuse over a very low mesh. Those all aspects can be adressed now.

What was the budget for LA Noire again ?

Xun

I have to say, you being an animator and still being this insistent really makes me want to take you down.

(separate from the one I have with Kyoufu)
I'm not willing to take bets because I'm not entirely convinced.

I just see some oddities in some of his eye movements, and I do believe what we see in some shots is technically possible with the animation sides of things. :p

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

nothing wrong with keeping an open mind, but this is some Flying Spaghetti Monster level shit.

I just see some oddities in some of his eye movements, and I do believe what we see in some shots is technically possible with the animation sides of things. :p
Some CG vs. No CG

pick a side

edit: Well I see you've removed all association with TeamCG from your avatar. At last we're making some progress!

Team real is definitely more aggressive with their opinions lol. It just means they have to eat more crow if they are wrong. :)

Well it is a crazy theory. You can't expect people to not react in that way. And if it is cg it's so good you could forgive people for being tricked by it, otherwise this discussion wouldn't even be happening. So no, I don't agree that there will be more crow.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Haha.

MaLDo

What was the budget for LA Noire again ?

The budget goes to create the tech, for create the assets, to pay the actors doing hundreds of recorded hours acting.

Konami have put a lot of money in fox engine and phantom pain tech, maybe they want present the results in a new way. I repeat, I don't think is expensive to record a mocap short session if you already have the tech.

As RICHO has hinted, a mocap camera appears in the "fake" video. After that, Kojima talk directly about render faces.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This game will rock our socks. Looks so damn good and that's not even final.

Screen-Ground-Zeroes-Driver.jpg

Screen-Ground-Zeroes-Snake-2.jpg

Dead Man

I thought people were being tongue in cheek with their support for TeamCG, but people really believe a game engine from 2013 can render like that?

Forkball

I just noticed that his hair is sticking up a bit out of the bandages. Why would they go through the effort to model that or even make that a design choice? ANSWER ME THAT CGERS.

Persona86

Banned
I thought people were being tongue in cheek with their support for TeamCG, but people really believe a game engine from 2013 can render like that?

It's a possibility, technology is evolving, techniques are evolving, who knows what kind of research they have been doing, someone has to take it to the next step, and someone will, it's just a matter of who and when.

Also they are really just mostly rendering the mouth and eyes, it doesn't have to render environments etc that would take a lot more resources. :)

Top Bottom