• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old Logitech wheels [with FFB] are now playable on PS4 via homebrew PC app

Fusebox

Banned
How is it Sony's fault? it's Logitech wanting to capitalize cheaply on you buying their new product that they didn't put 2$ worth in effort.

I thought it was Sony not recognizing the older controllers, is it just Logitech holding back drivers?? Fuckers.

bombshell

WUT

I'm very eager to hear impressions of this, preferably using bluetooth as I would like to avoid having to make the DIY USB adapter.

Perfect timing, if it's legit, with Project Cars as the Deal of the Week on the PSN store.

If you already have one of those wheels then great, however I highly recommend not going out and buy one as Sony can easily patch this up.

How? It's emulating Logitech's new G29 PS4 compatible wheel, so unless they want to block that, then I don't think they can do anything.

Maybe they can detect that this is seemingly using the DS4 to spoof the chip authentication of the G29 wheel, but it's not illegal to have a DS4 connected at the same time as the G29.

McSpidey

Why is the PC required? Since it needs custom programmable hardware anyway why not just have the input interceptor/injector take place in that hardware?

bombshell

Why is the PC required? Since it needs custom programmable hardware anyway why not just have the input interceptor/injector take place in that hardware?

Using a PC is just the easy solution for most people.

Holy shit! Thanks for this thread dude! Will test.

Will this work with a G25 as well?

Yes, supported wheels are:

G27
Driving Force GT
G25
Momo Racing Force Feedback
Momo Force
Driving Force Pro
Logitech Speed Force Wireless
Formula Force GP (vibration only)

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So all i need to have is the software, plug g27 on pc, use the app then plug g27 on ps4? T

That simple or am i missing something?

Pretty sure you plug the wheel to your PC and then connect your PC to the PS4 through USB or bluetooth with the wheel plugged into the PC, the PS4 will then see your PC as a controller(in this case the G29).

Gonna try this with my surface and G27 when I get back home. I wonder if the clutch pedal and stick shift work.

It would be incredibly dickish for Sony/Logitech to block this(almost as dickish as not supporting the G27 in the first place) since I doubt it would amount to anything more than a negligible difference in sales. Me buying GT7 and any other racing sim on the PS4 is contingent on the G27 working.

Pretty sure you plug the wheel to your PC and then connect your PC to the PS4 through USB or bluetooth with the wheel plugged into the PC, the PS4 will then see your PC as a controller(in this case the G29).

Gonna try this with my surface and G27 when I get back home. I wonder if the clutch pedal and stick shift work.

It would be incredibly dickish for Sony/Logitech to block this(almost as dickish as not supporting the G27 in the first place) since I doubt it would amount to anything more than a negligible difference in sales. Me buying GT7 and any other racing sim on the PS4 is contingent on the G27 working.

Docs say you need a Teensy or Pro Arduino to link the PS4.

http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=PS4#Teensy_2.0_or_Arduino_Micro

I've just found a Pro Micro ATmega32U4 board on my shelf :D

DieH@rd

Banned
Since I have Bluetooth dongle that can connect to DS4 [under windows], I think I will try to test the Linux app. After little google-fu, the most painless way to do so is to install Ubuntu 14 directly on my USB stick using Universal USB installer app. [manual installation info ]

Since I never used Linux before, hopefully I will be able to get drivers working for my bluetooth dongle [hopefully Ubuntu has some generic driver for it].

petran79

Banned

Same old excuse: "security measures"

bombshell

Since I have Bluetooth dongle that can connect to DS4 [under windows], I think I will try to test the Linux app. After little google-fu, the most painless way to do so is to install Ubuntu 14 directly on my USB stick using Universal USB installer app. [manual installation info ]

Since I never used Linux before, hopefully I will be able to get drivers working for my bluetooth dongle [hopefully Ubuntu has some generic driver for it].

This page says that you still need a USB microcontroller for the Bluetooth setup.

http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=PS4#Teensy_2.0_or_Arduino_Micro

That is what prevents me from trying it.

desu

Credits go to isamu for bring this up in the dedicated wheels for next gen consoles thread.

Also I saw that isamu asked some good questions on the official forum that might be of interest for some (support for other wheels, xbone support ...): http://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1092&start=20

The very same thread also has what seems as a pretty good tutorial to set up the whole thing (on first sight).

Glad I didn't sell my G25 yet, need to try this in the next weeks.

So I could have been using my G27 with Ps4 for a year- goddamn, why are we only hearing about this?

Would it be possible for someone to put this method in dongle form?

I will need links and detailed instructions a 6yr old could understand, but I totally need this.
Bought ProjectCARS day 1, but can't get into playing it without my DFGT.
Would love to play Driveclub with a wheel too.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys, read the GIMX main page carefully:

http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page#Hardware_requirements

Using bluetooth is NOT a requirement for PS4 if you're running Windows or Unbutu. It is *optional*. It is one of two methods for getting it to work.

I'm assuming we're all on Windows, yes? Using the USB cable connection method does not involve using a BT dongle in anyway as far as I can tell. When using the USB cable solution, there is no need to use an AVR USB board such as the Teensy or whatever. It's a straight connection. The Teensy 2.0 is only if you're going the BT Dongle route.

Even better news....if you look closely he mentions that we can buy and use either a Chronus Max or a Titan One as a replacement for the PC to PS4 USB adapter! Meaning we don't even have to build the adapter ourselves if we don't want to!

Most probably, Logitech wants an exclusivity period for G29. They want to maximise their proffits, and then release official PS4 support for their older wheels.

I doubt they will ever release a firmware that allows their old wheels to work on PS4. They're THAT greedy/stubborn!

Hypron

Guys, read the GIMX main page carefully:

http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page#Hardware_requirements

Using bluetooth is NOT a requirement for PS4 if you're running Windows or Unbutu. It is *optional*. It is one of two methods for getting it to work.

I'm assuming we're all on Windows, yes? Using the USB cable connection method does not involve using a BT dongle in anyway as far as I can tell. When using the USB cable solution, there is no need to use an AVR USB board such as the Teensy or whatever. It's a straight connection. The Teensy 2.0 is only if you're going the BT Dongle route.

Even better news....if you look closely he mentions that we can buy and use either a Chronus Max or a Titan One as a replacement for the PC to PS4 USB adapter! Meaning we don't even have to build the adapter ourselves if we don't want to!

I think you are missing the fact that the DIY adapter does use an AVR board. So either you buy the Titan One or you have to build the DIY adapter, which is made up of a Teensy/Arduino and a serial/USB converter. You can't just plug a USB cable between the PC and the console. The adapter seems really easy to build (you're basically just connecting the two PCBs together and uploading a new firmware) and costs less than $20 if you buy the parts from ebay (a bit more than $1 for the USB/serial adapter and $16 for the Teensy according to the official website - you can also replace the teensy by a chinese Pro Micro board which only costs $4-5 but that might not be as easy to setup). On the other hand the Titan One is $60 so I'd rather go for the first option.

The issue is more that most people will not have that sort of stuff on hand, so they won't be able to test the software until they order the part(s) and wait for them to arrive.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
OH MY GOD
MEGACAMEATHON

This changes EVERYTHING.
I could start looking at console racers once again, not being able to use my G27 totally soured me on that and I had sworn to stick with pc only.
Can't wait for the easy already-built solution to come to the market!

AngerdX

I need this, when it was clear i couldn´t use my g25 on ps4 i decided to just skip console driving and go pc, so when i can buy a finished kit i´ll be all over it. :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OH MY GOD
MEGACAMEATHON

This changes EVERYTHING.
I could start looking at console racers once again, not being able to use my G27 totally soured me on that and I had sworn to stick with pc only.
Can't wait for the easy already-built solution to come to the market!

MEGACAMEATHON? ROTFL

C-Sword

Or you can just buy a Brook ''PS3 to PS4 adapter'' which doesn't have any noticeable lag and does not require a DualShock 4 or PC after you have updated its firmware. Seems like a much easier setup.

DirtyLarry

Literally just gave my GT wheel away last weekend thinking it's days were over.
Oh well, I made a 14 year old kid happier than a pig in shit so that's cool at least.

Shaneus

OH MY GOD

Wonder if this means it won't be long until it's seen in something like the Titan control solution. Guessing not.

sTiTcH AU

Heres hoping they can find a way to get the G920 to work on PS4, having something that works on PC/Xbone/PS4 that doesnt cost $1800 AUS would be excellent.

Stillmatic

I might be able to bring my DFGT out of storage? Man I hope so!

Going back to a controller for this gens racing games has been...different.

Im going to wait to hear some performance reviews before I buy the 2 things I'd need off ebay in order to make the USB component

Kysen

Give it a few months, you can bet a dongle will come out with everything included. All it took was a proof of concept.

//DEVIL//

i sold my G27 to a store that is friend of mine and he still didnt sell it. and i bought the G29 insted. to be honest i dont even play it much. but did anyone try this and see if there is any input lag ? if there is any then its not worth it. . i tried the MAXRACE v1.5 on PS4 which was supposed to be the best out there and there was still a minimal lag. and lnput lag in a racing game is killer. period.

so it would be great if someone can test this. see if the input lag exist or not. maybe i can get back my G27 that i sold for like 150$ and sell the G29 for like 330$.

So I can finally play racing games on PS4? Cool!

On an unrelated point, does anyone know if this lets you use a X1-controller for the PS4? Would be cool.

i sold my G27 to a store that is friend of mine and he still didnt sell it. and i bought the G29 insted. to be honest i dont even play it much. but did anyone try this and see if there is any input lag ? if there is any then its not worth it. . i tried the MAXRACE v1.5 on PS4 which was supposed to be the best out there and there was still a minimal lag. and lnput lag in a racing game is killer. period.

so it would be great if someone can test this. see if the input lag exist or not. maybe i can get back my G27 that i sold for like 150$ and sell the G29 for like 330$.

No lag with the DIY USB-adapter, according to them. Average 6ms latency via Bluetooth.

bombshell

For people looking into this, a comment on the DFGT video in the OP seems to suggest that force feedback is only supported with the DIY USB adapter and not with the bluetooth setup.

To clarify, force feedback is not supported over bluetooth.

I don't know if that's true, can't find anything about it only working with the USB setup on the GIMX website.

For people looking into this, a comment on the DFGT video in the OP seems to suggest that force feedback is only supported with the DIY USB adapter and not with the bluetooth setup.

I don't know if that's true, can't find anything about it only working with the USB setup on the GIMX website.

Reading the matlo blog it does appear that the Firmwares i.e. EMUG29PS4 have to be used by the DIY adapter. (i.e. placed on the teensy).

With PS4 bluetooth paring it appears the Teensy is used to as fake (cloned DS4 )controller to authenticate our USB BT dongle as DS4.

The G29 is (i assume) a USB device, hence the EMUG29PS4 works.

I attempted to use my Arduino Pro micro that I had purchased for EDtracker, however attempted to upload on my Mac has somehow now rendered the ATmega32u4 bust or requiring some magic.. grrr!

Defo best to get a teensy +CP2102

For those that know their electronics could this be made into a plug and play adapter removing the PC usage?

I'm holding off buying the diy kit until people here test, my PS4 won't be getting connected to the internet either incase sony does some shady stealth update shit to kill this.

I'm holding off buying the diy kit until people here test

Same here.
Initially thought this was just a PC app, but it requires a bunch of hardware.
I'd be needing a Rasp Pi, for one thing. The cost of the parts on Ebay ran up to over $80. US sources, free shipping. http://i.imgur.com/KvSXi1H.png

Sure I could find the parts a little bit cheaper, shipping from China and questionable sellers, or even scouring the internet for the absolute lowest prices, but this is what I come up with initially.

I only paid about a hundred bucks for my DFGT to begin with.

Top Bottom