• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Xbone, getting banned from XBL maybe revokes(?) access to your games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

I have been concerned about this for months. And I have posted about it before. Wouldn't surprised if some of this ends up happening to people who didn't know any better.

Shinta

Banned
There's really nothing immoral about selling such a product when the policies are delineated to the consumer up-front.

The implied immorality is in fully understanding what negative implications this entails for gamers without the resources you have (money, stable internet, geographic location, 6 smartphones), but in deciding that since it doesn't affect you personally that you see no issue in supporting it.

It's fully your right. No one is disputing that. But it is a moral dilemma. The choices you make as a consumer will have ramifications that impact all of the rest of us, and you do understand that so you can't say you didn't know.

Ponn

Banned
It sounds dumb that I want to purchase a product that serves my consumer desires? I'm not buying conflict diamonds here. The product fits me and not you - that's fine. I'm not jumping for joy over the policies, but I buy consoles to play games. And, right now, XONE has the games I want to play.

I dont think its dumb and people shouldnt be ridiculed for buying or liking a system (see Wii U and Vita). I have a friend still gung ho about xbox who preordered one already. The only caveat i would reserve is that i will show zero sympathy for anyone that runs into problems with any of the countless issues that have been brought up.

GavinGT

Banned
The implied immorality is in fully understanding what negative implications this entails for gamers without the resources you have (money, internet, geographic location, 6 smartphones), but in deciding that since it doesn't effect you personally that you see no issue in supporting it.

It's fully your right. No one is disputing that. But it is a moral dilemma. The choices you make as a consumer will have ramifications that impact all of the rest of us, and you do understand that so you can't say you didn't know.

Some products aren't for poor people.

syllogism

The implied immorality is in fully understanding what negative implications this entails for gamers without the resources you have (money, stable internet, geographic location, 6 smartphones), but in deciding that since it doesn't affect you personally that you see no issue in supporting it.

You can literally say this about every single product on the market

Shinta

Banned
Some products aren't for poor people.

Like I said ... morals zero.

Might as well just stop denying that at this point.

Gaming has been accessible to poor people since Atari. And by "poor people," you also are talking about tons of countries that aren't supported at all, regardless of each individual's income.

Shinta

Banned
You can literally say this about every single product on the market

No you can't. You can say it for products where purchasing the product leads to an industry adopting anti-consumer practices and makes it more likely to be the norm.

That's not the case for tons and tons and tons of products out there.

GavinGT

Banned
Like I said ... morals zero.

Might as well just own it.

Gaming has been accessible to poor people since Atari. And by "poor people," you also are talking about tons of countries that aren't supported at all, regardless of each individual's income.

And it will continue to be accessible to poor people, but not necessarily on Xbox One. Just like they couldn't afford a 3DO at launch.

And as for unsupported countries, the console is launching in 21 countries. That doesn't mean it will never be available in other ones. PS2 launched 8 months earlier in Japan, and the only difference here is that consoles can't be imported.

So your fine just buying a product because of its name? No questions no curiosity? You would have just bought it and have them possibly shit on you afterwards?

I have no idea what this means. You think they won't fully delineate their policies before launch?

syllogism

No you can't. You can say it for products where purchasing the product leads to an industry adopting anti-consumer practices and makes it more likely to be the norm.

That's not the case for tons and tons and tons of products out there.
All it means is that they are already 'anti-consumer' by virtue of some people not having the resources to buy them.

GavinGT

Banned
We're talking here about Microsoft policies and not who has the biggest wallet.

I was talking to someone who was arguing that it's immoral for them to exclude people who are less fortunate than myself. I'm excluded from owning a Lexus, but you don't see me boycotting them.

Woorloog

Banned
Expensive, unaffordable product is not necessarily anti-consumer. (Car analogy: Ferrari compared to some cheap car. Both are cars, neither one requires or has systems that are anti-consumer).
Indeed, price itself is not really a factor here, different products are directed towards different demographics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom