• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Xbone, getting banned from XBL maybe revokes(?) access to your games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montresor

I'm not the guy you know but it also happened to me. And it wasn't for doing anything illegal. It was for using my initials in my account info. POOF - account gone with zero recourse.

I'll never trust them again.

"I'm not the guy you know but...."

That is one huge "but." You were not legitimately banned but that other guy was. Why would you have any sympathy for someone who pirated a game?

how do you get banned in the first place?

fG3CaPz.jpg

No. You keep what you have and play offline.

So you can still make use of the servers to download the games on steam when banned?
Because i have only 5~6 games installed on my hdd from my 140 games collection i have no problems with pirating a game i have bought on steam so yeah that's a other story.

Whilst I don't agree with people being banned for playing a game a few days early etc if people are going to be repeatedly abusive or pirate games then they deserve to be banned. They should have thought about that before spending hundreds of pounds on games which they now cannot use.

Being online doesn't give people the right to be cunts.

This is coming from someone who has no intention of buying an Xbox One.

kinggroin

Banned
So you can still make use of the servers to download the games on steam when banned?
Because i have only 5~6 games installed on my hdd from my 140 games collection i have no problems with pirating a game i have bought on steam so yeah that's a other story.

You keep what you have. Currently. As in whatever in installed already. Not sure if you still get access to redownload the other games.

If not, I'd pirate them too.

GavinGT

Banned
I just read on the xbox forums that some guys were banned on their 360 because they had music on them xbox that wasn't legal?
Is this true can you be banned for such a thing, how do they know you don't have it legal on cd lp or even a tapedeck?
I was reading through that banned xbox forum and noticed this;
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/41/t/1404491.aspx

At least read the response. He modified his account and was rightly banned for it. It had nothing to do with music.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
At this point I feel like I would be surprised to read a single piece of product design on Xbone that isn't just completely horrible. It is beginning to beggar belief that a group of people designing a product that is supposed to be sold to people would design a product as terrible on every front as this.

I would absolutely love to know what went on in meetings during the Xbone design, and how they managed to screw up so utterly spectacularly. How, when confronted with design choices they managed to pick the worst of every possible option every time. What they were thinking when they did it?

I'm really undecided if that is a good or a really bad thing. I think it would definitely make XBL a more pleasant place, but not being able to play Singleplayer after getting banned is just fucked up.

But don't your disc based games register themselves as digital?

True, but the Support Account is suggesting they are treated differently in this regard. "No info" on how disc-based games would be treated if you were banned.

The banning may just be in regards to multiplayer content, or 'Gold' features, but still allowing you to authenticate daily. It would be logical were that to be the case.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
True, but the Support Account is suggesting they are treated differently in this regard. "No info" on how disc-based games would be treated if you were banned.

The banning may just be in regards to multiplayer content, or 'Gold' features, but still allowing you to authenticate daily. It would be logical were that to be the case.

I guess it may have to be cleared up but it doesn't sound good right now.

Dizzy

Banned
Not that i ever intended to get banned, but now people can hopefully see why we want the rights to own our games. Theres just no need to give any company this kind of power.

GavinGT

Banned
Disc games are just a delivery medium for the code and installation

But it's worth noting that disc games are treated differently than DD games. Disc games can be traded in at stores and rights can be transferred to other users (when these features are made available, that is).

eznark

Banned
Here's a thought; Maybe you shouldn't get fucking banned

Losing single player access doesn't make any sense, true. (and to reiterate; It does not make sense that I, or anyone, should lose access to all content if there is an illegitimate ban placed on my account)

You sure have a lot of faith in Microsoft to never false ban.

_Ryo_

If you're banned on Steam, you use alternative servers and it only affects online games anyway. You can play all single player games, no problem. Alternatively, if you could just backup you Steam folder, and if you ever get an "everything" ban (it doesn't exist, but theoretically, just listen) play from that folder offline. Steam does not need an online connect to play games at all. Xbone on the otherhand...

Kusagari

Xbox Support has no clue what the fuck they're talking about either way.

We need to stop taking anything they say on the bone at face value.

Common sense would say they delete disk based licenses from your account. And so they could be licensed again to a new account.

But question is does microsoft has enough common sense.

GavinGT

Banned
Why is it a relief?
Do you care about the Xbone?
oh-my-god.gif

Quit acting like people are dimwits for possibly holding different opinions than you. All this stuff GAF is getting up in arms about? None of it affects me. I like the games MS is offering.

This place is becoming less of a discussion forum and more of a high-fiving convention.

This is an example as to why its better to actually own the games you buy. Otherwise you run the risk of losing your property because you dared to anger Microsoft by not strictly following all their rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom