• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Opinion) Polygon: Titanfall is the perfect game for people who are terrible at FPS's

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Was in a titan fight with some guy, he wrecked me. Had him down to under half, I ejected (could of sworn it did it for me) I was using the assault titan I think. It cloaked me on eject, automatically it seemed (some perk), needless to say I was able to RPG him without him even seeing me. It felt cheap as crap.

Cloak is meant to be anti-titan as they can't see you. The perk is autoeject + cloak which limits options as it can be beneficial to milk the doomsday timer in the titan.

Matriox

From the streams it seems like all the human players are feasting on the NPCs, with few player kills in between. The game does a good job of making you feel badass despite minimal PvP interactions.

Much like others have said (and perhaps something to patch in later as a selectable game type?), this game feels like it could have easily been an 8v8 no bots game.

AHA-Lambda

sounds about right to me, from what I played of it I done quite well and I don't play alot of FPS MP.

it also makes sense why we've kept hearing some game journalists get excited about Titanfall, when they admit they're not really in to FPS MP.

From the streams it seems like all the human players are feasting on the NPCs, with few player kills in between. The game does a good job of making you feel badass despite minimal PvP interactions.

On average I would say when the games over I have about 7 or 8 pilot kills, 10 grunt kills and about 6 or 7 Titan kills. It would be incredibly boring to just go for the bots, but some people do that. Without the bots this would be a better game.

Amir0x

Banned
Was in a titan fight with some guy, he wrecked me. Had him down to under half, I ejected (could of sworn it did it for me) I was using the assault titan I think. It cloaked me on eject, automatically it seemed (some perk), needless to say I was able to RPG him without him even seeing me. It felt cheap as crap.

iirc one of the pilot types has auto eject, so it probably did eject you automatically.

As I said earlier, if you are observant you can easily tell a cloaked person is coming at you, but it's counter to the hectic pace of the battle, and sometimes you're not looking for it.

Cloaking at least has some easy ways to counter, but it's just cheap. Cloaking should never be in a competitive FPS as far as I'm concerned.

But as far as I'm concerned the whole modern landscape of competitive FPS would be different, so clearly nobody else is concerned like I am in the dev community :p

Booshka

Oh, interesting recommendation. Never tried Shadowrun that came out on 360. Ack, but I no longer have XBL Gold :(

If you can stomach GFWL, you can play it on PC on GFWL with a controller and it will run exactly like the console version on default settings. GFWL doesn't need Gold for online play, tracking down a PC copy of the game might be a bit tough though. If you see either the 360 version or PC version for 5-10 bucks, pick it up and try it out.

Send me a message if you get into it and I can teach you everything there is to know about it.

longdi

Banned
I think the trend has been clear with modern competitive FPS in general, it's why I started disliking them more and more, where before this gen, they were frequently amongst my favorite types of games. They've been ruined by challenges, perks and constant increase of features that specifically target the coddling of skilless players, turning me off. Modern gaming is about trying to make games as inoffensive as possible, so that everyone gets a pat on the head.

Titanfall from my play so far has been this turned up to eleven. Every element possible that can be funneled toward making shit players get their little celebratory dings here and there is implemented. Shit A.I. players so they can get satisfactory little kills and quicker Titanfalls so they can bombard for a few easy kills; cloaking and auto aim weapons that kill instantly with proper lock on, no recoil and insane mobility.

Used to be we play a competitive FPS and it was pure skill vs. pure skill. You had your weapon, but none of this superfluous nonsense. You had to fucking aim true, and you had to do it consistently. You had to compensate. There were no perks you had to worry about that turned shotguns into snipers or gave the enemy combatant just that much extra health so that all else being equal they're the ones who walk away. These days with all the add-on nonsense, balance just begins to go right out the window, until it's a complete crapshoot. It's not like half a thought is even paid to really making these systems smooth out, they just expect everyone to play long enough so everyone has access to the same perks as if that solves the issue.

Great players will always inevitably win - usually even in the least balanced of games - but in unbalanced games the problem is always you have to walk around with the sinking feeling that that last encounter you just didn't win because some shit player had some 3 second invincibility perk on or some shit.

Thanks for putting it down in simple words.

I watched the videos and thought TF looks too COD. It sure is fast but not the Q3A/UT type of hecktic but smooth gunplay i knew, something always looked off. Be it the auto aiming and constant dinging.

But millions loved the dingings so TF should sell well with EA/MS mega push, and thats where FPS will go.

Gxgear

On average I would say when the games over I have about 7 or 8 pilot kills, 10 grunt kills and about 6 or 7 Titan kills. It would be incredibly boring to just go for the bots, but some people do that. Without the bots this would be a better game.

Cranking up the AI might help. They looked little more than fodder to me. Or tweak the player:npc ratio.

Milennia

their goal clearly wasnt competitive gaming, which is clear in the launch iteration for obvious reasons, some listed above.

its the exact same situation for the recent battlefield 4 release, where i took part in competitive esports only to see just how poorly the games mechanics actually meshed in such a situation and how clearly geared towards the padding of hypothetical skill.

i believe that the game at its core could very well be a massive esports/competitive option, however the lack of custom servers/spectating/pause are just the start of what would need to be done.

i believe the parkour and pilot play is pretty damn strong (minus the cloak, which i would prefer to be an in game pickup, as it is in halo), which is a great core to have.
titans are an iffy subject imo, i honestly cannot see them in a competitive environment in the slightest, partly due to burn cards existing and reducing their time, even giving you a spawn right at the start of the match.
obviously these would be locked down in a competitive esports situation, however thats not all there is to a competitive shooter, there are also the ever important pubs, as well as matchmaking.
they are also very strong vs infantry, meaning the competitive scene would be a race for the titans, which imo, would get very old as an esport, very quick.

matchmaking is a huge deal for me.
i long for tiered/competitive playlist/ranked matches.
something many (nearly all) current FPS games lack, especially top tier titles.
this alone kills my mood, but its expected at this point.

then we have the ever present and discussed bots.
i find it pretty obvious why they are there, however i see this becoming a chore in terms of competitive, personal play.
i love the idea for pubs however.

im way too exhausted to do an entire write up, so im just dropping off my observations and quick thoughts, this is by FAR not all i have to say in terms of titanfall not being a competitive shooter or fairly accessible.

i love the game.
but changes would need to be made for this to be considered a competitive shooter in my eyes, as well as the esports industry.

as it stands now, titanfall is a ridiculously fun game that allows you to easily pull off cool maneuvers and execute interesting plays.

you can still get pubstomped fairly easily, i did it all night long for the past 2 days, as well as had my own ass handed to me.
when someone gets going in this game that has extensive map knowledge, even after playing for 2 days (only 2 maps, both being fairly simple in terms of layout), its extremely hard to get a hold of them.

good players in this game will be very slippery and i hope they expand on that idea, ultimately turning the game into a great competitive contender at some point in time after they see the community has some sort of interest in such activities (its their first game, im sure they are taking it fairly slow, as said by Abbie herself), they will support them.

i believe in the team behind the game.

yuuuuup(dave hesterlol) this games not for me. I was going to check it out on pc, but if its this kind of shit im already vomiting in my mouth. Hey devs, crysis mp died out super quick, maybe actually play a game with the shit in yours before you develop it so you can tell its going to be good or not.. Do shooter developers even play fucking shooters anymore...BF4 could be a decent enough shooter if it wasnt impossible to actually play it. At least theres no perks. But as it is, theres no shooters to play. How is this possible? SMFH DEVELOPERS.

Matriox

I'm sure this game will be well loved, however, part of me thinks this might just be the CoD 1-3 stage of when CoD wasn't what people fell in love with on Modern Warfare. Perhaps after some feedback and experience in Titanfall we will see something new much like MW did to the FPS genre. Hopefully for the better in this case but I'm hoping despite it seeming like the opposite.

Dhuie

Neo Member
I see there point as well.

For a while FPS have felt the need to make it easy for new people so they can just pick it up get kills and feel like they're the best at the game. When in reality it can come down to connection/ping, perks and OP weapons and cheap kills.

If a weapon is deemed to be OP it only takes one youtube vid for the masses to be using it as their goto weapon thus inflating the users ego that they're the best at the game.

I like learning curves i feel like i've accomplished something. Maybe H-Hour will sort the boys from the men.

I definitely agree with what people are saying about the low entry skill bar, but I think some of you are also misjudging how competitive the game can still be. Movement tactics alone can put a skilled player leagues above casuals. The wall running/double jumping will enable slick as hell evasions and surprise attacks.

I think Respawn has made a good game based on what ive played. However, If I had it my way I would definitely up the human player count, get rid of bots (or at least make them better) and make it harder to get a titan. Also, increase the damn recoil.

FStop7

Banned
Another thing is the TItans seem like little more than oversized, walking targets. Sometimes they seem to be more of a liability than a reward.

I think where the game makes you feel badass is in the movement. Mobility is where this game shines and it's unfortunate that it IS dumbed down with the AI. I think Titanfall is a fantastic action game but it's not really a competative fps. That of course is just my opinion.

Another thing is the TItans seem like little more than oversized, walking targets. Sometimes they seem to be more of a liability than a reward.

Yeah I felt the same way. I basically always had the Titan follow me around while I was flying all over the map which was awesome.

GamerJM

Banned
Good for me since I'm awful at FPS games and seemingly can't get better no matter how many hours I put into them. However I don't think bad AI is necessarily a good thing no matter how you spin it.

U-R

I guess balancing the game so that every player ends the match with roughly the same score is the best way to sell a casual multiplayer-only game. They're probably banking on the fact that highly competitive skilled players have already left shooters for MOBAs.

Matriox

Good for me since I'm awful at FPS games and seemingly can't get better no matter how many hours I put into them. However I don't think bad AI is necessarily a good thing no matter how you spin it.

It should have been an optional gametype anyways, or atleast perhaps a tiered AI plan for newcoming players and those who want to play against/with more competent AI.

That... doesn't make sense.

If anything, the high mobility (dual jump, jetpack, wallrunning) and dual combat (pilots and titans) will make the skill ceiling a bit higher than your average FPS, making it harder, not easier. People have to wait until players starts to get good with the game.

Jabba

Banned
Maybe the game needs to be played more before judging it. So many times in games, developers look great playing their game, only to be fascinated themselves by what the skilled player base shows possible months/years after release.

There are going to be strategies in Titanfall, only skilled players will be able to pull off. Certainly not players like myself. Those skilled players are going to win most of the death matches handily I would think. This happens to me most of the time in any FPS because of low skill set. My best scores in BF4 conquest are like 4 kills 6 deaths. In longer conquest games, 9 kills 15-17 deaths. Rarely do I ever have a winning record. If so it'd be 6 and 5, give or take 1 or 2 on all those totals. You can see, I'm scrub material.

Some players sound like they don't want to be killed by happen stance at all. If your good at Titanfalls mechanics as far as just accurate killing then your kd ratio should be fine. I'm only talking killing skill here, because no way, have they found a way for scrubs like me to have high kd as opposed to higher skilled players.

As for the AI and other concerns.
It's also a beta. They will probably listen to feedback do some datamining and adjust accordingly. Maybe not right away but sometime later on.

I don't get how the point in the OP doesn't apply to the most popular shooters of today? If they were complex and/or demand great amount of skill to achieve anything, they wouldn't be popular.
If it's about support classes & team goals, that's hardly a new thing either.

Matriox

That... doesn't make sense.

If anything, the high mobility (dual jump, jetpack, wallrunning) and dual combat (pilots and titans) will make the skill ceiling a bit higher than your average FPS, making it harder, not easier. People have to wait until players starts to get good with the game.

The author isn't elaborating very well, but he states there is a high skill ceiling and the better players will always have better scores. He is saying that even new players can spend their time killing AI and let their titan go on auto pilot, still contributing to the team rather than just being a score Piñata for the other team because they're much less skilled.

I don't get how the point in the OP doesn't apply to the most popular shooters of today? If they were complex and/or demand great amount of skill to achieve anything, they wouldn't be popular.
If it's about support classes & team goals, that's hardly a new thing either.

It does apply to most shooters of today, thats why I said "much like any new multiplayer online game" in my first sentence.

No wonder Adam Sessler likes this game so much

HAHAHA.gif

blazeuk

From what I've played so far, pilot kills and titan kills are not something that a lot of players rack up in big numbers, There are mechanisms in place to make you feel like you're always doing well, plenty of bots to shoot at to get points and with hardpoint for example, the game rewards big for defending positions which means you'll top the leaderboard just for standing around them (in my experience anyway).

It really does just depend on how you look at it, the game is accessible for many reasons but in terms of PvP it's going to just be more of the same, if you're new you're going to struggle against more experienced players - you'll just be distracted from that fact (which isn't a bad thing).

vazel

Banned
After playing the beta tonight I'm going to have to agree. This game is designed to make scrubs feel good about themselves especially where the smart pistol and the easy to kill enemy grunts are concerned.

I'm going to see if GMG will cancel my pre-order. I'm angry at myself for falling for the hype yet again. What did I expect from the CoD devs...

Edit: Yay for first impressions. Now that I've calmed down I'll continue to give the beta a chance and see if I can get more out of this game.

It's hard to disagree with that. I'm not one for Polygon but they do seem spot on, been playing the last day or so and doing really really well and I'm usually god awful at FPS'. It's a damn fun game though.

Why not have both aiming and tactics as a skill that needs to be learned to do well? I'm just surprised to see so many that are okay with some of these changes. I'm by no means up-in-arms about it, but I'm going crazy thinking that so many players need instant gratification to say a game is good or enjoyable. I'm getting old.

There's always Counter Strike. In my opinion, as long as FPS on consoles are using analogue sticks for aiming control, a lot of people will have problem aiming. I've been using analogue controller since the original PS1 days yet I still have problem aiming with it which is why I'm forced to play competitive FPS games on PC.

I can kind of see these points as valid, given the "smart pistol" which auto aims at anyone in the middle 30% of your screen, overall low health for pilots, and being a huge easy-to-hit target when you're in a Titan. Title is click bait though.

- smart pistol does very little damage, my experience is i hit ppl with 3 smart pistol hits then they machine gun me to death

- low health works both ways - no chance to run to strategically better ground, give me halo style shields any time

- pilot vs titan is indeed epic fun as a pilot

There's always Counter Strike. In my opinion, as long as FPS on consoles are using analogue sticks for aiming control, a lot of people will have problem aiming. I've been using analogue controller since the original PS1 days yet I still have problem aiming with it which is why I'm forced to play competitive FPS games on PC.

I've been playing a lot of KZ:SF which has no aim assists and the DS4 has been the best controller I've used for aiming

KORNdoggy

First time i think i've agree'd with them. They've basically taken the mass appeal, casual formula or COD and made ot even simpler. And now you don't even have to fight real opponents, just shoot one of the many brIndead AI roaming the level and feel like you're accomplishing something. Blergh.

Are there really players out there who feel that killing 20 bots counts for anything when you only killed 3 human players while being killed a dozen times by them?

That would be ignorance in the same way they are happy to go 15-20 in Cod. Happy to get kills even if they die TWENTY TIMES in doing so.

Liamario

Banned
Just plowing through waves of useless bots but getting kicked in the head by real players doesn't sound too fun to me. I don't think this experiment will work, if that's the intention.
Think COD, mixed with AI. You can't really tell sometimes who the AI is until they're dead, but it's not because the AI is good- it's shit in fact. But for me, I get disheartened when I'm not killing real players; I lose interest very quickly.

Amen brother. Best post ive read in awhile. This is my exact reason why shooters are so stupid now and why most of their communities die off so fast. Crysis MP is a prime example of this. Getting shot by a dude you cant see because hes literally fucking invisible isnt fun.

Theres cloaking in this game?? My interest just dropped to Zero fucking percent. A free kill with a heat seeking rocket just helped murder my hype. WHY do developers feel they need to put this shit in these COMPETITIVE games is beyond my understanding. Some stupid Go big or go home attitude where the easiest thing is to cram as much shit into a game as you can assuming bigger the better. Even from a smaller dev this happened.

With the death of socom and Rainbow six apparently? where am i going to get my real shooter without all the garbage from? Some one save the skilled players please.
It's not a fps, but H-hour is a spiritual successor to socom 2, and it's been getting a lot of praise by backers and testers.

I wish this game was coming to ps4 tbh...I like war hawk and this looks just as easy to get into. I think if u haven't been playing cod this gen that much, this is a nice change of pace for more casual fps players but still seasoned gamers. Sadly I'm not getting a new platform to play it and was never going to purchase at $60

Amir0x

Banned
It's not a fps, but H-hour is a spiritual successor to socom 2, and it's been getting a lot of praise by backers and testers.

I wish this game was coming to ps4 tbh...I like war hawk and this looks just as easy to get into. I think if u haven't been playing cod this gen that much, this is a nice change of pace for more casual fps players but still seasoned gamers. Sadly I'm not getting a new platform to play it and was never going to purchase at $60

How bad is your PC? Titanfall runs on like the shittiest specs, you may still be able to...

-PXG-

It is pretty easy. I've been tearing people up. Still fun though.

Want a shooter with skill? Go watch or play Gears 3. With the exception to the Retro Lancer and nade tagging, there really isn't much hand holding bullshit mechanics to help players who are terrible. Those who have been honing their Gnasher, wall bouncing and rodie run strafing skills over the years will destroy you, lol.

I guess Titanfall being an "easy" game matters if you're only into highly-skilled FPSes, but for me, as long as I'm having fun I really don't mind if Titanfall is for people who are terrible at FPSes.

Visceir

I thought call of duty already was the perfect game who are terrible at fps games. The jumping around in titanfall just adds a layer of complexity to those people.

Top Bottom