• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Opinion) Polygon: Titanfall is the perfect game for people who are terrible at FPS's

erawsd

Which in itself makes it and easy pick up and play. At the end of the day, if your good or terrible, you don't feel disdain by playing it at all. It's fun, and your never going to be in the situation where you can say, "Oh this game sucks because.. [insert excuses why I suck but blame that on other factors of the game or people]".

It being easy to pick up and play is irrelevant. You may have fun and feel like you are helping, but you really aren't. If you can't kill other players in Titanfall you are deadweight and that sentiment will quickly spread as the community around the game matures.

Fuz

Banned
I think the trend has been clear with modern competitive FPS in general, it's why I started disliking them more and more, where before this gen, they were frequently amongst my favorite types of games. They've been ruined by challenges, perks and constant increase of features that specifically target the coddling of skilless players, turning me off. Modern gaming is about trying to make games as inoffensive as possible, so that everyone gets a pat on the head.

Titanfall from my play so far has been this turned up to eleven. Every element possible that can be funneled toward making shit players get their little celebratory dings here and there is implemented. Shit A.I. players so they can get satisfactory little kills and quicker Titanfalls so they can bombard for a few easy kills; cloaking and auto aim weapons that kill instantly with proper lock on, no recoil and insane mobility.

Used to be we play a competitive FPS and it was pure skill vs. pure skill. You had your weapon, but none of this superfluous nonsense. You had to fucking aim true, and you had to do it consistently. You had to compensate. There were no perks you had to worry about that turned shotguns into snipers or gave the enemy combatant just that much extra health so that all else being equal they're the ones who walk away. These days with all the add-on nonsense, balance just begins to go right out the window, until it's a complete crapshoot. It's not like half a thought is even paid to really making these systems smooth out, they just expect everyone to play long enough so everyone has access to the same perks as if that solves the issue.

Great players will always inevitably win - usually even in the least balanced of games - but in unbalanced games the problem is always you have to walk around with the sinking feeling that that last encounter you just didn't win because some shit player had some 3 second invincibility perk on or some shit.

I haven't tried Titanfall yet, but being an old Quake 2 "competitive player" (pass me the term) I do agree with you on the general trend. There is no real challenge anymore.
Also, "aim true" with a pad is simply not possible, and they had to resort to auto aiming aid... which personally I find ridiculous and downgrading.

Amir0x

Banned
i really loved splash damage's approach to levelling. give everyone the sense of progression, but keep it within a single match (or micro-campaign) this is the standard model for the most popular games on the planet right now, but FPS seems intent on mimicking CoD 4 until death.

Yup. There's so many things about the formula that worked well too. It legitimately gave less skilled players opportunities without spoiling the core depth whatsoever; almost every job was essential to good team matches. Objectives were often amazing. Level design remains amongst the most balanced and tight ever seen in the genre.

And the mods! That friggin' Gold Rush mod is so much fun it could almost be a game itself. Trying to slowly waddle myself to the objective marker because I'm greedily overstuffed myself with too much Gold, only to be blown to pieces at the last possible moments, my shiny bits spilling all over the snow.

Oh man I need to play RTCW again. Is there a community still playing it frequently? I am going to buy it. I need it.

It being easy to pick up and play is irrelevant. You may have fun and feel like you are helping, but you really aren't. If you can't kill other players in Titanfall you are deadweight and that sentiment will quickly spread as the community around the game matures.

I guess.

Ishan

It isn't the only way to make a game more inclusive. Developers should find more interesting and scaled attempts at making games more inclusive, but most people can't put hours into a game. Respawn has, in the past, done a great job at making competitive shooters fun for anyone using certain mechanics that bring people back (admittedly at diminishing returns, although I'd put that blame on .Activision).

I think the notion of, "skill," has inflated the egos of many hardcore gamers over the years. Most people suck at FPS' because the controls are still clunky while playing with a controller. There's no skill in being good at an FPS, just time and experience.

HOWEVER, the fact that developers have essentially copied Respawn and IW's perk system, etc, shows that other FPS developers have either been told to emulate COD or have become lazy.

Respawn/IW is good at making a particular blockbuster MP game that allows for the lower experienced to have fun and the more, "skilled,' players to still feel important and powerful, yet the higher skilled players will always feel alienated in these types of games.

Have you played an fps competitively? If so there is no way you would be making this comment. Try playing a skilled player in q3 you will get slaughtered. And its about aim tactics map control etc. Try playing against a good clan in cs. And everything takes time and practice but some people are just better aimers. Some are super calm in clutch situations. Im not saying gaming is a sport but saying being good at fps doesnt take skill is the same as saying being a top tier qb doesnt take skill just time and practice. It's time practise and talent which combines to form skill.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Depends on where you're comparing it to COD.

where it matters most in my opinion, the design philosophies and approach to balance, it's very similar. But mechanically it is reasonably different.
I think it differs from CoD in a lot of fundamental ways. Titans aren't designed the way kill streaks are. You're not constantly being shot in the back in this game, and you don't die as often. There's far more verticality, and team work is more important than individual performance. I can already see that skilled Titans working together are going to rofflestomp a bunch of lone wolves.

The game is more accessible and forgiving than CoD, but I think it's a far more tactical game, even in death match. Much like Battlefield, players that understand the mechanics and work together are going to steamroll servers.

antitrop

After 12 hours with the game, my opinion is that if someone killed you with the Smart Pistol, they could have killed you with a "real" weapon just as easily.

How bad is your PC? Titanfall runs on like the shittiest specs, you may still be able to...

With the minimum specs they announced you'd think that would be the case but it's not.

After 12 hours with the game, my opinion is that if someone killed you with the Smart Pistol, they could have killed you with a "real" weapon just as easily.

I agree. Not as easy as you'd think killing pilots with the smart pistol.

Matriox

The game is more accessible and forgiving than CoD, but I think it's a far more tactical game, even in death match. Much like Battlefield, players that understand the mechanics and work together are going to steamroll servers.

Havn't played the beta and I am at work right now, but being more tactical was something I was really hoping for.

Liberty4all

Banned
The last Unreal Tournament sold horribly if memory serves. I loved it, but that old school hardcore twitch/skill death match arena style of game play ... It doesn't sell anymore, except to a very niche audience.

I hope to see some PSN or XBLA titles that cater to the twitch crowd.

Booshka

The last Unreal Tournament sold horribly if memory serves. I loved it, but that old school hardcore twitch/skill death match arena style of game play ... It doesn't sell anymore, except to a very niche audience.

None of those have done very well either. Not sure what it's going to take to get some actual quality MP shooters back into the mainstream. It may never happen again.

SegaShack

You dont need tons of xp and camping experience to play this, everything is dynamic and the player has many options, this does not mean its an easy game.However I definitely dont feel like a target at a shooting range like I do with CoD or Battlefield. This game has many mechanics that are easy to use but take skill to actually master them. Itd be almost like saying Halo 2 is for noobs.

char0n

So basically COD skills don't translate to being a rockstar at this game, the old avenue of time spent = power given is not so much of a factor, and there's some aspect of the game helping people aim that makes the COD "hardcore" cry for the loss of skill involved in FPSs? As an old arena shooter player, I truly weep for them.

This post brought to you by sarcasm, and catharsis after much bitterness from living in a post UT world

eival

every post match screen shot has nearly 3 to 1 kill ratio of bots vs titans/players

the game is literally the ultimate "everyone feels like they contributed" trope

which most shooters have issues with, issues in terms of the developers wanting to appeal to more players, not an issue from a competitive standpoint, but issues of how most new-comers get stomped and feel like they cant get any kills and thus never comes back to your game.

then again, this is from the team who gave us COD4, in which you could unlock an RPG/Grenade Launcher as your 2nd weapon fairly quick and then get a grenade launch attachment for your main gun as well and always get atleast 2-3 kills without even trying before dying. yet everyone seems to forget that when remembering back to how "great" COD4 was, rather than "why" it was great (leveling system mostly)

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I think the trend has been clear with modern competitive FPS in general, it's why I started disliking them more and more, where before this gen, they were frequently amongst my favorite types of games. They've been ruined by challenges, perks and constant increase of features that specifically target the coddling of skilless players, turning me off. Modern gaming is about trying to make games as inoffensive as possible, so that everyone gets a pat on the head.

Titanfall from my play so far has been this turned up to eleven. Every element possible that can be funneled toward making shit players get their little celebratory dings here and there is implemented. Shit A.I. players so they can get satisfactory little kills and quicker Titanfalls so they can bombard for a few easy kills; cloaking and auto aim weapons that kill instantly with proper lock on, no recoil and insane mobility.

Used to be we play a competitive FPS and it was pure skill vs. pure skill. You had your weapon, but none of this superfluous nonsense. You had to fucking aim true, and you had to do it consistently. You had to compensate. There were no perks you had to worry about that turned shotguns into snipers or gave the enemy combatant just that much extra health so that all else being equal they're the ones who walk away. These days with all the add-on nonsense, balance just begins to go right out the window, until it's a complete crapshoot. It's not like half a thought is even paid to really making these systems smooth out, they just expect everyone to play long enough so everyone has access to the same perks as if that solves the issue.

Great players will always inevitably win - usually even in the least balanced of games - but in unbalanced games the problem is always you have to walk around with the sinking feeling that that last encounter you just didn't win because some shit player had some 3 second invincibility perk on or some shit.

This man gets it.

hodgy100

They are right, I suck at Cod and am usually consistently near the bottom of the leader board, however, in titanfall i was consistently near the top :)

Donos

I get what they say. But CoD is also more on the "user friendly" side with small maps, fast pace, low recoil.

It was nice in CS 1.6 to own whole teams of "noobs" but the most intense, nervewrecking and satisfying matches i had against very good players on my level or better. And even when i lost, i gave them a digital nod as equals.
That's why i also liked to change teams and turn the tide. A good Challange.

Still remember when i borrowed MW3 for a week to play with friends on the PS3 who played only COD religiously. Got the UMP and some rapidfire perk (because i read on gaf that it was overpowered) and was pretty good with it although i'm not a good console/pad player. Got a "ump noob" hate msg 10 minutes later.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't really see why a game that's actually fun for the players is looked down on, but I guess to each his own.

This. Try to give a modern gamer access to Counterstrike on a LAN server and see how he fares without auto aim, aim assist, and no recovering health.

Damaniel

Banned
I suck at FPS games (too old, don't want to spend thousands of hours playing to feel like I'm getting anywhere), so games like Titanfall are a good thing. I was in the game, contributing from the very beginning, and most importantly having fun. If some FPS elitists want to call that 'dumbed down', or whatever else, then fine -- there's plenty of other games out there for people like you (Counterstrike is still around last I checked). Not every game has to be designed with such a steep skill curve that becoming an effective player and getting to the level where you're having fun becomes a full time job.

otapnam

I havnt been playing TF2 since BF3 came out but im pretty sure theres alot of players out there that would disagree that the twitch/skill type gameplay doesnt sell anymore.

This. Try to give a modern gamer access to Counterstrike on a LAN server and see how he fares without auto aim, aim assist, and no recovering health.

*rolls eyes*

There are some extremely talented players and deep engaging matches to a lot of modern shooters. The back in my day stuff becomes tiresome to hear.

Sounds like a very, very good thing.

This is what you want from a multiplayer game. Easily accessible and addictive play with a low skill floor and high skill ceiling. Something that brings in a large audience and keeps them engaged, across all levels of play.

If Respawn managed to square that circle they deserve all the success that could come their way.

injurai

Banned
I suck at FPS games (too old, don't want to spend thousands of hours playing to feel like I'm getting anywhere), so games like Titanfall are a good thing. I was in the game, contributing from the very beginning, and most importantly having fun. If some FPS elitists want to call that 'dumbed down', or whatever else, then fine -- there's plenty of other games out there for people like you (Counterstrike is still around last I checked). Not every game has to be designed with such a steep skill curve that becoming an effective player and getting to the level where you're having fun becomes a full time job.

Counter-Strike fans don't really give a damn want every other FPS is doing, casual or otherwise. Any sort of superiority discussion is taking the piss. The people that routinely attack games like CoD are people sick with every FPS chasing the same money by copying the gameplay styles. You can skin cod in so many ways, and it will feel the same.

There is nothing right or wrong in the grand scheme of things, but there are right and wrong ways to make an FPS from an individual perspective. So I find it completely fair for people to say this is the wrong way to make a game. Hopefully people like you can listen to those sentiments and still fully enjoy your game without worrying how others can't enjoy the same game.

Top Bottom